• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

It's becoming easier with each episode to hate PB more and more. She better do something to redeem herself later. Or at least explain in detail why she's been acting crazy lately.
This

I hope they don't go overboard with this new development

She's done some sketchy things in the past, but it's fucking PB. Her M.O is doing everything she can do benefit the candy kingdom. Her character history is rich with her doing selfless things for her people; she even brought them back from the dead!

Crocodile

Isolated? The episodes this season have become increasingly more serial in nature. And they would not have put that scene in if they didn't plan on continuing the story. Adventure Time has a ton of long-running plots.

I think the issue may be the 11 minute, weekly format combined with impatience. We don't get a ton of content at a time and the show even occasionally skips a week. As such, it can feel like FOREVER between major plot points. Like I understand one major plot thread is whatever PB is planning with acquiring the items and what not but it feels like we've only been getting tiny snippets of that over the course of MONTHS.

NEO0MJ

she even brought them back from the dead!

Not yet. The closest she got to that was cloning James. She seems to think it's OK to kill someone if she can clone them later, even if they have no memory of who they were. It's like she think of her people as replaceable objects.

TheOGB

Banned
the newest 3DS game confirms that
the goo from the Simon & Marcy episode is/are PB's parents. Also canon because it was written by Pen Ward!
What the shit

I was under the impression that I wouldn't be missing out on anything awesome like this if I didn't get the game!

PK Gaming

Not yet. The closest she got to that was cloning James. She seems to think it's OK to kill someone if she can clone them later, even if they have no memory of who they were. It's like she think of her people as replaceable objects.
She brought back a bunch of dead candy folk with her Decorpsinator serum!

What the shit

I was under the impression that I wouldn't be missing out on anything awesome like this if I didn't get the game!

This week's AV Club review links to a video of the "Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know!" cutscene where PB's origin is revealed.

Also the review is surprisingly negative.

Tuck

Apparently the tv movie got scrapped?
tumblr_mww4p8MTzW1qb5wwyo1_1280.jpg

Courtesy of Reddit.

Sucks to hear...

Crushing news. I've been borderline obsessing about the movie for months.

I guess a movie would have been the equivalent of a four-parter, maybe we can still get that through the season 5 and 6 transition?

Silkworm

I loved hearing Brak's voice again in this episode. Though it was for James, James acted somewhat similar to Brak IMHO. ;-) Now we need Zorak to make a guest voice appearance (has George Lowe aka Space Ghost voiced any characters on this show yet? I'm guessing he has).

Off topic a little, but this week's Steven Universe was a little dark. At first the cat fingers were cute but then things got out of hand and not in a cute way. Now I see why Steven's dad isn't all that crazy about magic ;-)

TheOGB

Banned
I don't think George Lowe has been on Adventure Time yet. That does need to happen.

And yeah, that Steven Universe got weird.

NEO0MJ

She brought back a bunch of dead candy folk with her Decorpsinator serum!

I don't think that was the revival she had in mind :p
But speaking of, it just occurred to me how similar the resurrected Candies were to the zombies that appeared in this episode, I wonder if she tried to replicate the process that kept those zombies alive, minus the zombie part.

PK Gaming

But speaking of, it just occurred to me how similar the resurrected Candies were to the zombies that appeared in this episode, I wonder if she tried to replicate the process that kept those zombies alive, minus the zombie part.
Well yeah, given how close James body was to the zombies there wasn't much she could do about it. In any other situation i'm sure she'd bring him back to life though.

Watch the episode again. By the time it's over she has fixed the formula (thanks to Finn) and uses it to bring the dead back to normal life.

daveo42

Banned
The will say that the reasoning behind sacrificing James made sense, but the rest didn't at all. Peebs seems to be a master manipulator and has been for a long time.

the newest 3DS game confirms that
the goo from the Simon & Marcy episode is/are PB's parents. Also canon because it was written by Pen Ward!

Makes sense and I'm not overly surprised.
Now we know that all of her comments about her relatives in past episodes were lies, if only to make her sound younger. There might be more to it, but it hasn't been made clear yet.
I'm more curious now at how many times she's cloned her candy people after something has gone wrong.

Now it means I might have to play though that game for canon purposes.

Apparently the tv movie got scrapped?
tumblr_mww4p8MTzW1qb5wwyo1_1280.jpg

Courtesy of Reddit.

Sucks to hear...

That's really saddening. I wonder if they've then ramped up production on season six. The consequences of this episode would have been awesome as the plot for the movie.

PK Gaming

That was a great episode

Really loved the dynamic between Root Beer Guy and his wife. I'd argue that the episode really shined during the mundane scenes. They somehow managed to completely convey life in the candy kingdom in a single episode (something they haven't really done until now)

I'm thinking of watching it again to catch the stuff I missed.

It's amazing how they continue to do completely new stuff after nearly 150 episodes. It kinda feels like this show could go on forever.

Tuck

Not a fan of this weeks episode. Prefer when Finn and Jake are the stars of the show - the best parts of the episode were the parts with Finn and Jake being weird.

Its nice that they tackled the fact that the candy guard is hilariously incompetent though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Thought the Root Beer episode was one of the weakest from the show. Up there with the first 5 short greyables in terms of being bad. Did nothing for me. Enjoyed the previous few episodes... Jake being trapped with the Kee-oth the most.

NEO0MJ

Its nice that they tackled the fact that the candy guard is hilariously incompetent though.

You'd think PB would have destroyed and replaced them a long time ago, unless she was too busy to notice how bad they were at their job.

Crocodile

As far as it seems right now, this episode didn't really have much to offer the larger narrative. However, I still really enjoyed it because it gave us a look and some of the lives of the Candy people and I felt Root Beer Guy and his relationship with his wife was written well and realistically. It's also nice to see more competent Candy people. Most of them would probably starve to death or kill themselves with appliances after a week were it not for PB :/

Banzai

I don't know If I'm alone with this (probably not) but I think having episodes that don't advance the overall plot is fine, great even. When this show started out it was just random fun. I definitely like the deeper themes, but there's nothing wrong with episodes that are nothing more than Finn and Jake doing silly stuff. (not a comment on the newest episode, havent seen it yet)

Even if I'm not a major fan of Regular Show I know it's a really good series, so it would suck if either that or Adventure Time ended.

Maybe Cartoon Network considers Johnny Test "beloved" because of how long it's been airing? That's one show that can't end soon enough at this point.

zeemumu

I love this show, but the adult jokes are getting less and less subtle as time goes on. I think the French maid thing was probably as far as they can go, though.

CorvoSol

- The zombies in this episode are the same ones roaming the Earth in Simon & Marcy--not long after the Mushroom War.
- PB says that these creatures are from another time, again referring to the world before Ooo. As she says this though, she looks around kinda nervously. Are they hinting that she's familiar with them?
Yes
We know she's a LOT older than 19. Remember that pink ooze with the face in Simon & Marcy?
- Zombie James comes out of the crater groaning "Princess..." which probably means he's going to go find her. A bunch of zombies crawled up out of the crater following him. Intentionally or not, he's leading a horde of zombies right to the Candy Kingdom. Shit is about to go DOWN. It might not be next week, or the following week, or the week after that, but it's gonna happen.

But now the thing on my mind, as well as Finn's and Jake's, is: What's up with PB? She's been up to a lot of weird shit lately, gathering an awful lot of... stuff. Resources, samples... What's her game? Is she gearing up for something?
WHAT THE HELL IS MAJA THE SKY WITCH SCHEMING?!

Let's also not forget that Princess Bubblegum has been watching Flame Princess for her entire life, and wields enough clout to order the completely evil Flame King to have her imprisoned from childhood onward in a glass prison. And has calculated the results of Flame Princess ever falling in love. And now this same Flame Princess has good reason to resent Princess Bubblegum and a kingdom of fire elementals at her beck and call and has apparently embraced her father's evil teachings.

It ain't just zombies that pose a threat to Candy Law.

Riki

If it is AT, hopefully it's because they're doing a proper ending with the movie (Don't care if they say it's canceled, it needs to happen before the series ends), and not just because "LOL CARTOON NETWORK"

The Adder

Banned
Let's also not forget that Princess Bubblegum has been watching Flame Princess for her entire life, and wields enough clout to order the completely evil Flame King to have her imprisoned from childhood onward in a glass prison. And has calculated the results of Flame Princess ever falling in love. And now this same Flame Princess has good reason to resent Princess Bubblegum and a kingdom of fire elementals at her beck and call and has apparently embraced her father's evil teachings.

It ain't just zombies that pose a threat to Candy Law.

FP isn't evil, she's just a strict rulrr

DKehoe

Surprised to see some people didn't like the Root Beer Guy episode. I thought it was fantastic.Finn and Jake are great but it's fun when they also focus on someone else and give you a different view on the candy kingdom.

Riki

Surprised to see some people didn't like the Root Beer Guy episode. I thought it was fantastic.Finn and Jake are great but it's fun when they also focus on someone else and give you a different view on the candy kingdom.

I always enjoy the episodes that don't focus on Finn and Jake. They give a fresh new look on the story and world.

Psxphile

AT is on its 5th season (6th technically if you want to count the second part of Season 5 as its own season). No matter how successful, the show's gotta be getting real expensive by now to keep going (don't salaries and/or costs go up the longer a show is in production?). At some point, they're going to have to stop. Just making it past 3 is a feat in and of itself going by the mortality rates of other shows. When and if the end comes, I just hope they can give it a proper resolution. CN's gotta give it that much.

If it is AT, hopefully it's because they're doing a proper ending with the movie (Don't care if they say it's canceled, it needs to happen before the series ends), and not just because "LOL CARTOON NETWORK"

The same writer who leaked that the movie wasn't happening also said that many of the elements and themes that were in the movie were being reused for regular episodes. We may have already seen some of them.

sn00zer

Oh man root beer guy episode is such an adult episode...a man dissatisfied with life, with a wife he loves, but is left unsatisfied who attempts to spice up their sex life. He believes he is on an adventure like the characters in his head, turns out is a farce. He tenacity though in follow the clue leads to a promotion, a satifying sex life and moving beyond the unrealistic dreams in his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom