• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling i've made a mistake backing Carlton but we'll see.

Edit: As a prediction, I think West Coast's scoring ability may trouble Port tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if they really push them.

sytadel

Mitch Clark painting...

mitchc_zpsatxt8fmn.jpg

Getting a dump truck of popcorn after Wada state they are going essendon.

Best news of the day/wee/month/year

This will be the true test, if Essendon are found not guilty then we all have to accept it :(. However WADA will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of finding them guilty.

I'm pretty sure WADA wins most of it's appeals in these situations. You'd have to think they have new evidence... Maybe Dank found his Excel file?

I'm pretty sure WADA wins most of it's appeals in these situations. You'd have to think they have new evidence... Maybe Dank found his Excel file?

I remember scouring the web a couple months back to see if there were any cases where a WADA appeal had been knocked back by the CAS. There were only a couple I could find - both on Olympic runners (marathon I think) and it was about the length of a ban IIRC, not overturning guilt.

Another couple times, WADA refused to appeal due to the expected cost - they have a relatively small budget (~$15m or so IIRC) for appealing decisions by local sporting authorities worldwide so sometimes don't pursue appeals if they deem it not worthwhile.

I'm hoping that CAS rules in favour of WADA and the players are banned appropriately.

If you are an elite athlete, you know better than to take an unknown substance. Ive only competed at junior national level in swimming and water polo, yet I was told this numerous times, so no sympathy from me here.

legend166

I didn't think they'd appeal in the end but I'm glad they did. The AFL Tribunal Decision took the idea of comfortable satisfaction to a completely ridiculous level. Dank ordered what he thought was TB4 from a Chinese company who supplied what they though was TB4. A lab tested the material and found the molecular weight was pretty consistent with TB4, and it certainly could not have been any other form of Thymosin (alpha, Thymomodulin).

So the tribunal takes that information, and says "Yeah, but how do we know it was TB4?"

It's like a philosoraptor meme or something. Under that standard it would have basically been impossible to ever prosecute a case without a positive test, because hey, how do we really know what was in the needle?

Will be very interesting to see the CAS outcome. If Essendon are still found not guilty - fine. I think it's clear to all that on the pure balance of probabilities they did take TB4. But if there's not enough evidence to prove that, I'll accept the CAS decision. At least we'll know it's not tainted by the AFL.

Also, Heeney out for six weeks sucks.

Anyone think this is a pretty embarrassing response from the ceo?

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-12/a-couple-of-days-of-noise

yes, but he is just one of the many delusional AFL/Essendon people who think that they are bigger than WADA. Maybe in budget they are, but not in jurisdiction.

You know the rumor around the traps in Adelaide is that he slept with his female cousin a few times growing up in country SA? I have some very good sources that went to boarding school with him.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the CAS released the names of the 34 Essendon players but promptly deleted it. Saw a screenshot of it on Facebook.

THRILLH0

Banned
Ecstatic that WADA isn't letting this die. The way Essendon has been protected by the AFL is a joke. The arrogance displayed by Hird and Little has been astonishing and they've only gotten away with it due the bullshit culture of the AFL inner circle.

Thankfully WADA couldn't give a shit about that culture and will actually try the case on its merits.

The only differences between Ahmed Saad and Jobe Watson is their last name and the colour of their jersey.

legend166

Lol @ Hird.

Who prints out a spreadsheet, gives it to an investigative body who is trying to get your club for doping offenses, and then deletes their local copy? The spreadsheet which would completely exonerate you?

Heck, who even prints out spreadsheets? Why wouldn't they be emailing that?

Omikron

Lol @ Hird.

Who prints out a spreadsheet, gives it to an investigative body who is trying to get your club for doping offenses, and then deletes their local copy? The spreadsheet which would completely exonerate you?

Heck, who even prints out spreadsheets? Why wouldn't they be emailing that?

The type of people that then re-save the spreadsheet resulting in lastupdated details >> investigation date, invalidating the spreadsheet as evidence. I suspect.

Yagharek

Ecstatic that WADA isn't letting this die. The way Essendon has been protected by the AFL is a joke. The arrogance displayed by Hird and Little has been astonishing and they've only gotten away with it due the bullshit culture of the AFL inner circle.

Thankfully WADA couldn't give a shit about that culture and will actually try the case on its merits.

The only differences between Ahmed Saad and Jobe Watson is their last name and the colour of their jersey.

In defence of Little (there's a rare phrase) he arrived at Essendon after 2012.

jambo

Some interesting rumours are coming out regarding the plans for a new fixture.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-14/fixture-top-of-the-agenda-for-club-ceos-meeting-with-the-afl

A RADICAL overhaul of the fixture will be one of the headline acts when club CEOs meet with the AFL in Melbourne on Thursday.

The League has provided clubs with a list of alternative fixture models to consider ahead of the discussion, with at least five options being canvassed ranging from the current model to a 17-5 model to a conference model.

Under that proposal all clubs would play each other once in their first 17 games before the competition is split into three groups of six according to each club's ladder position (which could be after round 18 depending on byes).

The top six teams would then play each other once in the remaining five rounds for their position in the finals, the middle six teams would compete for seventh and eighth position and the bottom six teams would fight for draft positions.

Sounds pretty good, but only having one Showdown/Derby/Pineapple Cup a year will be weird.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
As an update for above: No change to AFL fixturing for 2016

THE AFL will retain its existing fixture model in 2016 after AFL club CEOs rejected an alternative '17-5 model' at a meeting of club chiefs in Melbourne on Thursday.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said clubs expressed the view that the current fixture was working "pretty well".

"I think there was feedback that we have got some work to do for [clubs] to embrace a different fixture to the one they have now," McLachlan said.

"We think it's a good alternative that deals with some of the challenges of the current fixture, but obviously raises different challenges.

"Right now the clubs like where the fixture is and they saw a number of challenges which they want answers on in any proposed variation."

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Friday May 15th
Essendon vs. North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday May 16th
Adelaide vs. St Kilda @ Adelaide Oval
Hawthorn vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
Carlton vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
Sydney vs. Geelong @ ANZ Stadium
West Coast vs. Gold Coast @ Domain Stadium

Sunday May 17th
Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium
Richmond vs. Collingwood @ The MCG
Brisbane vs. Port Adelaide @ The Gabba

Round 7 Teams

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The week feels a little more straightforward than I was expecting it to be but given how I've only ever gotten one 9 since its increase from 8 however many years ago I'm now trying to figure which game/s are going to screw me this week.

jambo

I'll probably get 4/9 again =\

Also, sucks about the fixture, feels like it's time for a refresh. There have definitely been some middling teams who have greatly benefited from good fixtures over the past few years.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Pre game was pretty hype tonight. Turned all the main lights off in etihad... had lazers on the ground, smoke for the bombers to run out to.

Then lights half turning back on + air raid siren to drown out the cheers for north lol

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Pre game was pretty hype tonight. Turned all the main lights off in etihad... had lazers on the ground, smoke for the bombers to run out to.

Then lights half turning back on + air raid siren to drown out the cheers for north lol

What's that all about? Do they do that regularly? I know the Cats have that stupid roar playing out before and during the game. Sounds like they're trying to get people excited like they do with the cricket.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
What's that all about? Do they do that regularly? I know the Cats have that stupid roar playing out before and during the game. Sounds like they're trying to get people excited like they do with the cricket.

Said it was their only friday night game so they wanted to make something of it.

people in australia really need clappy stick training.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
As bad as they have been this year I did consider long and hard whether I should pick Carlton or not. Had they had someone like Henderson to help kick a score I probably would have tipped them. I'm interested to see if they can keep it close.

76-25 lol Carlton, looks like I dodged a bullet. Near zero effort from a few of the players.

Even for Carlton this is bad.

I
kind of
feel bad for Carlton fans, they have missed the success phase of the cycle (Rock bottom->rebuilding->promising->success->aging->Rock bottom) at least three times now. Heads need to roll inside the organisation, too many old boys.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I think we'll have a harder time trying to get that attacking game going. I also see us having another tough time stopping the Sydney talls.

Quarter time: Sydney look really dangerous, I think the margin flatters us a bit. Promising early but need to get some of our good players into the game.

Half time: Glad to see we're playing some pretty good football. A lot better than the trash we dished up earlier in the year. Sydney still look dangerous every time they go forward. They probably have more players that can lift than we do. Hopefully we'll see a full four quarter effort.

End of third: Poor from Geelong. Lack of any forward movement for a lot of the quarter. We just ended kicking across the ground in our backline for 15 minutes. The Duncan injury kills me, hopefully it's not too bad. Need to get more of the ball.

Game: That last quarter effort was awful. Looked like half the team were out on their feet for the entire quarter. A lot of the team went missing after half time.

Well at least this will be the wake up call for Carlton to realise they were never in the window that they thought they were. It's not Mick's fault, but he'll go and they should start going after high draft picks. This should have happened a few seasons ago though.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Fremantle would have played a little better to withstand the late game fade. 7 from Dickson for WB is a fair effort.

AxeMan

Well at least this will be the wake up call for Carlton to realise they were never in the window that they thought they were. It's not Mick's fault, but he'll go and they should start going after high draft picks. This should have happened a few seasons ago though.

How many more number 1 picks do you want to give them? They already had enough to build a team around, they got everything else wrong (trades etc).
Their board also has a fair share of blame on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom