• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomma_man

How many more number 1 picks do you want to give them? They already had enough to build a team around, they got everything else wrong (trades etc).
Their board also has a fair share of blame on them

so because they fucked up and are at the bottom again ten years after their last draft splooge they don't deserve more picks? I'll remember that in 2020 when hawthorn have bottomed out.

P. Fembot

Banned
Sucks tI be a Carlton supporter.

The guys don't try.

I want Malthouse gone, want to snap my membership.

He keeps saying we have no talent, but he's the one who got rid of Laidler, Betts, Waite, and Garlett.

AxeMan

How else do you purpose they get decent players?

This is a list of their recent draftees (lifted from another forum). They don't have a good track record. They can build a list via high draft picks, though looking at the list you'll see they are no montys to get it right (no club is). But I suppose that is why they've brought in SOS; to improve their drafting.

You can also build a list through other means and it's a lot easier to trade these days with free agency around. Look at Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn. None have had high draft picks for many years but manage their lists properly

2011 AFL National Draft
Pick No. 22 - Josh Bootsma
Pick No.44 – Sam Rowe

2010 AFL National Draft
Pick No. 18 – Matthew Watson
Pick No. 34 - Patrick McCarthy
Pick No. 42 – Luke Mitchell
Pick No. 67 – Andrew McInnes
Pick No. 99 David Ellard
Pick No.108 Simon White

2009 AFL National Draft
Pick No. 12 – Kane Lucas
Pick No. 43 – Marcus Davies
Pick No. 59 – Rohan Kerr
Pick No. 83 Aaron Joseph

2008 AFL National Draft
Pick No. 8 Chris Yarran
Pick No. 40 Mitch Robinson
Pick No. 65 – Rhys O'Keeffe
Pick No. 80 - Caleb Tiller

2007 AFL National Draft
Pick No. 1 – Matthew Kreuzer
Pick No. 36 – Steven Browne

2006 AFL National Draft
Pick No. 1 – Bryce Gibbs
Pick No. 17 Shaun Hampson
Pick No. 19 – Shaun Grigg
Pick No. 35 – Mark Austin
Pick No. 51 – Clint Benjamin
Pick No. 67 – Joe Anderson

so because they fucked up and are at the bottom again ten years after their last draft splooge they don't deserve more picks? I'll remember that in 2020 when hawthorn have bottomed out.

Sorry if I was a little unclear. They deserve the picks if they finish at the bottom, they are the rules. But it's not like they haven't had their fair share of quality picks (draft position wise). Just because you get good draft picks doesn't mean you'll get a good team (see GC now)

bomma_man

This is a list of their recent draftees (lifted from another forum). They don't have a good track record. They can build a list via high draft picks, though looking at the list you'll see they are no montys to get it right (no club is). But I suppose that is why they've brought in SOS; to improve their drafting.

You can also build a list through other means and it's a lot easier to trade these days with free agency around. Look at Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn. None have had high draft picks for many years but manage their lists properly

free agency is a self fulfilling prophecy

How else do you purpose they get decent players?

Develop the players they do draft better.

J Selwood, Cotchin, Dangerfield, Pendlebury and Fyfe were all players they could have drafted in the years they had the no1 picks and got Gibbs, murphy and kruezer.

They have traded out fevola, Kennedy, Jacobs, betts, and Garlett too since 2005.

They got rid of a coach he had the trust of the players from those years and seemingly was on the up with this group.

I'm 7/9 in my tipping comp at the moment and I just need Richmond to stay in front for the clean sweep. Easy round but still feels good man.

free agency is a self fulfilling prophecy

Haha, yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I'm biased, but Crows are the best example. Losing players to free agency (bock, Davis, Tippett), never getting top 5 picks, not from Melbourne so players want to go home and we travel every second week), no additional allowances, different father son rules than Victorian clubs (no Gibbs or aish, but would have had both if we were Victorian). The only thing we have going for us is we are not port.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The Richmond Collingwood game is going down to the wire. Insanely close game to call.

And wth is going on at the Gabba? I thought there was a slight chance of the Brisbane upset the way Port have played this year but surely Port can't play bad enough to lose it.

Edit: Damnit, great game though.

Tigers too good for the Pies today. I don't think the boys played all that bad, but they definitely went missing in the second quarter when the Tigers got a run on. Very much like last week's first half.

Develop the players they do draft better.

J Selwood, Cotchin, Dangerfield, Pendlebury and Fyfe were all players they could have drafted in the years they had the no1 picks and got Gibbs, murphy and kruezer.

They have traded out fevola, Kennedy, Jacobs, betts, and Garlett too since 2005.

They got rid of a coach he had the trust of the players from those years and seemingly was on the up with this group.

Totally agree. They need to develop their players. I still think they need some better players than what they have though. All I meant was that they need to rebuild and a good place to start would be with some good drafted kids. They probably don't have mature enough players to get around the kids though.

Building a list with free agents will only keep you going for a short term. Hawks are in their prime and that's why they have topped up and kept going. Swans are the best example for a team that builds a great team around good players. Carlton don't have the cattle at the moment to even begin to copy Sydney.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Surely Port won't be coming back from 38 down. Not sure what to read into either performance honestly.

This has been embarrassing. Nobody wants to play footy, there was a moment about 10 minutes ago where Ebert basically molested the other player gently instead of laying a tackle, and that's been par for the course for most of the players.

Well done to Brisbane, they've played quite a good game of football against a very average Port. And my old man has been calling my house every 15 minutes since half time... :/

legend166

Just on the Carlton thing - I think it's pretty clear from what's happened in the league in the last decade that draft picks don't mean jack unless you're able to develop them and build a good culture.

The Swans built premiership teams in 2005 and 2012 basically out of spare parts. But we had great coaches (if Freo wins this year, that means we'll have had three premiership coaches in the coaches box in 2005), a fantastic culture and an ability to develop low draft picks and cast offs from other clubs.

And it is possible to turn over a list quickly. In 2009 we missed the finals. By 2012 we'd turned over about 60% of the list and won the flag. Our 2009 trade period was legendary. We drafted Jetta, Rohan and Sam Reid while picking up Kennedy, McGlynn and Mumford (and Daniel Bradshaw and Mark Seaby, but hey, even we can't get everything right). Funnily enough in 2010 it was Carlton we played in the finals.

Of course the ultimate is when you combine the culture/coaching side with the draft picks side of things, and that's when you get Geelong and Hawthorn.

Carlton seemingly need a clean out throughout the entire club's front office. At this point I don't think it matters how many high draft picks you run thrift the club.

Here's a question for Carlton, was the Judd / Kennedy trade ultimately successful?

Yes - a Brownlow and four time All Australian while at Carlton, plus a great leader. Kennedy took a couple years to get going at West Coast.

One of their biggest problems has been letting go of other good players which would have made up for the loss of Kennedy.

Traded Jacobs meant that Kruzer could not play forward (he played the majority of his junior footy at Full Forward).
Fevola maybe could have been managed better - I don't know everything about his trading but I think that giving him a free pass was ultimately their undoing.
Then trading out Betts and Garlett - two really good small forwards.
Waite as well.

They could have built a very good forward line even without Kennedy and then had an awesome midfield - Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Carrazzo.

They should have been pushing for a flag 3-4 years ago.

Thinking about it some more, the trade in and of itself was fair.

However, maybe having Judd on a million a year meant they could not afford all those other forwards....?

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Friday May 22nd
Geelong vs. Carlton @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday May 23rd
St Kilda vs. West Coast @ Etihad Stadium
Greater Western Sydney vs. Adelaide @ Spotless Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Collingwood @ Metricon Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Sydney @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. North Melbourne @ Domain Stadium

Sunday May 24th
Essendon vs. Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium
Melbourne vs. Western Bulldogs @ The MCG
Port Adelaide vs. Richmond @ Adelaide Oval

Round 8 Teams

jambo

My current tips have Richmond beating Port.

That way if we win it's a sacrificed tip, but if we lose, again, then I at least get something out of it.

My current tips have Richmond beating Port.

That way if we win it's a sacrificed tip, but if we lose, again, then I at least get something out of it.

I like the ins for Port, and if they dome come out fired up after last week i will be shocked. Also Port wont let the tigers play free like my Pies did.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
A few games I'm not confident in.

Geelong and Carlton. Carlton always seem to get up for this match even when we're playing well. The injury to Duncan doesn't help either, our midfield suffers immensely and how useful are returning players Kelly and Mackie going to be? I'll be picking Geelong though and by a lot. If it's close at half-time I'd be worried.

GWS and Adelaide. I'm still not sold on GWS just yet. They were pretty disappointing early on in the season. Beat a weak Hawthorn and by the sounds of it it's a similar case to Geelong v GC (get up for that one big scalp) and then they belted an awful Carlton. Adelaide were pretty laughable early in last week's game but have a decent record against the Giants and a team that seems to match up well.

Hawthorn and Sydney. I assumed Sydney were playing slightly better football atm but judging Hawthorn's fixture it doesn't look as bad as it was made out to be. Was the perceived "form slump" all injuries and outs for Hawthorn?

Port and Richmond. Richmond played pretty well last week but there have been question marks over Collingwood recently. And who knows what's going on with Port? They've had a tough run to be fair. Maybe a couple key injuries explains last week.

AxeMan

I'd be picking Swans rather than us at the moment.

We haven't put together consecutive quality quarters this year.

Fox Footy just said that behind the scenes Carlton are looking at who could be the caretaker coach when they fire Mick. Trigg also pulled out on a interview on Fox tonight, but said on the radio that its going to get to the point where "they will need to end this now"

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't think we played all that great from what I saw and yet we still won by 70 points.
Very happy that Murdoch has started stepping up his game the last few weeks.

It's a real shitshow at Carlton atm. You could hear the vultures circling as the game went on.

Doesn't look goof Malthouse, if all the news reports are to be believed.

I didn't watch the game for obvious reasons. Looking forward to the Hawks and Swans game though.

Looks like it could be a great day for footy here in Sydney... Hope we get a decent crowd, atmosphere was great at Spotless for the Hawks game.

If the Giants turn up I reckon we can get the Crows for the first time. Hopefully the thrashing from West Coast is still fresh in their minds!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to stick with the Crows. Hopefully they play a good game. There are plenty of scenarios I can think of where either team could win it so it's 50/50 at that point.

Half-time: Gonna be tough for Adelaide from here. They need to get their hands on the ball more and control the play like they did in the last minutes of the first. The GWS speed through the middle is killing them. They need to get that inside 50 tally up and near their game-winners Walker and Betts.

Game: It was that inability to stop the Giants' run from the backline through the mid that killled the Crows. Thought Adelaide toiled hard to keep themselves in it but those weak turnovers to Giant goals killed them.

Looks like it could be a great day for footy here in Sydney... Hope we get a decent crowd, atmosphere was great at Spotless for the Hawks game.

If the Giants turn up I reckon we can get the Crows for the first time. Hopefully the thrashing from West Coast is still fresh in their minds!

They've turned up so far!

AxeMan

GC are going to get pounded next week. It's just papering over the cracks though.
If Suckling is in the team next week I'm going to throw up (Blight style)

Rezbit

Was at the game tonight and it was pretty crazy. Love the atmosphere when you're actually at a close game. Was near the swans cheer squad and was jumping and fist pumping at the end.

Hawks choking there in the end. Some very gettable shots on goal.

Well fought win by the Swans though. Would have been a ripper game to be at Rezbit.

jambo

I was at my sister-in-laws engagement party and there was a TV with the footy on.

Pretty big crowd around it by the end of the game, crazy that it came down to that one little play that Cyril couldn't quite grab.

God we were terrible tonight. One of the worst 69 point wins I've seen.

We played just as bad last week, the last 2 games we have fallen apart, same with the first half Vs the cats.

Our pressure has dropped again and out skills have gone again its like it was in pre-season again missing open players or picking the worst option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom