• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Jazeera America to Shut Down by April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
With NPR on the decline, how will I get sober and normal news and journalism? I'm serious. NPR is the only place worthy of getting my news. I can't tolerate sensationalist tripe anymore. What will the US do? I think it's so severe of a problem that I think it has a huge role in the political divisiveness of our country.

What do you mean by this?

danwarb

It's the best news channel here. The only one that looks for and provides some context. That doesn't just read out right-wing tabloid headlines and government press releases all day.

Ovid

peyton-manning-580.png
Man, the media buried that story didn't they?

thats awful, I loved AJ
My cable operator never had it. I heard it was good though.

i.. wow, i thought that you meant it slayed you because it was hilarious but damn, that was some deep shit. so sad too. i saw a lot of myself in that man..

It's so well produced, and particularly the end. It just hits you like a ton a brick. Most people can't forgive what happened to them yesterday. Here is a person who trouble came to terms with something deeply unfair and unjust.

fushi

I used to watch AJ English (the International version) quite avidly as they had some real great documentaries and seemed to be one of the most neutral sources for global news. But these days I feel they have become too focused on the Middle East and have become increasingly impartial in their coverage thereof.

doesn't AJ English Youtube Channel not even work on US servers..... man so America Gaf will now miss out on those documentaries

well America you missed out.... hopefully those who lost their jobs will find new ones

doesn't AJ English Youtube Channel not even work on US servers..... man so America Gaf will now miss out on those documentaries

lol well America you missed out

Americans don't get to watch that channel? Oh man, that's really sad. There's some amazing content there.

Right now watching Head To Head - Who rules Pakistan?

That sucks. They had some good pieces once in a while. I really do think the name was a bad idea in the US.

Hope those laid off are able to get back on their feet soon.

entremet

Their website is pretty well laid out. But I think the branding wasn't gonna find mass appeal in the US.

Besides the news network have trained American viewers for shallow nonsense.

Jag

huh interesting, this doesn't seem to match all the positive reviews in this thread.

I think they hired some great talent which probably produced some really good television. It was the fuckery behind the scenes that led to its downfall.

Cosmonaut

The original arabic version of Al Jazira is known for being kinda anti-semetic and biased. They also alter truths to fit their agendas sometimes, like this report on the discovery of Ardi where Al Jazira claims the scientific team used this to debunk the theory of evolution. The very first sentence of that report translates to "Darwin's theory, the one claiming humans evolved from monkeys, has been debunked" lol

Al Jazira English on the other hand is much more comprehensive and reliable, would be a pity if Americans can't access its content.

Bowdz

Sucks. I love their news hours. Easily one of the best sources of legitimate journalism on American TVs. RIP Del Walters and Stephanie Sy, the GOAT team.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
as stupid as it is, the name really did kill it, just watch how many assholes on social media will be calling this a victory again muslims.

no joke.

When the Peyton Manning stuff came down sports radio was reporting it and people were freaking out being xenophobic, racist, etc cause it was al jazeera.

I'm fine with this if it means I can get access again to AJE like I used to be able to prior to this ill-fated US branch all those years ago.

They didn't have to do a damn thing but pipe over the AJE content the same as it had been, but their bid to reinvent a sound wheel was such a mistake.

EthanC

Banned
They went out on a strong note, shining a bright light on the fact that every single team in the NFL cheats. Good on them for making fans of shit teams come to grips with the fact that they're losing because they suck and not because everyone but them cheats.

LosDaddie

Banned
as stupid as it is, the name really did kill it, just watch how many assholes on social media will be calling this a victory again muslims.

Partly, yes.
However, Al Jazeera is a newcomer cable news station in an era where FOX News reigns supreme, while CNN and MSNBC struggle for ratings.

Al Jazeera was destined to fail

Sotha_Sil

My father is very much a hardline conservative. I found it quite humorous (and refreshing) that he gave up Fox News almost entirely for Al Jazeera America.

Three years ago, I never would have imagined that Al Jazeera would be his go-to news network. Shame they're closing shop. They should have used a proxy name.

Oh well, back to BBC and NPR I suppose.

Jeels

What the hell, this is one of my most trusted and respected news sources. :/

Sad day for English news media..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom