• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is still not profitable | Other Remedy Financial Reports (approx 80% of costs recouped)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What was woke about it?
M5ajVQu.jpeg

Reverse the roles and have Alan Wake say black asshole and see how well that would go. Why is she even the protagonist of Alan Wake 2? It made no sense. Furthermore it would've made more sense to play as Alan Wake's wife. It may not be super woke but the pandering is night and day.

Also the ending was absolute trash. If you havent played it, Ill spoiler tag it:

she pretty much orders Alan Wake to suffer and have her and her life back to normal because reasons and it ends on a cliffhanger

Fucking lmao.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
It might shock you, but many people have played the game and don't find it more "woke" than the average game and consider it a good game. I'm one of them.

Looks like the 'many people' you mention is just your imagination because the game solds terrible as you keep seeing time to time.

This is pretty much the Deathloop situation. The little amount of 'gamers' that buy AW2 fold the game amazing, a 10 out of 10, when in the real world the game is pretty mid and sold very badly.

We can discuss about the small group of people that buy the game and loved, or we can back to the real world and discuss the game not even making profit after that amount of time.

Last edited:
What was woke about it?

I'm pretty sure the only reason they haven't recouped all cost if because of the limited release.

Didn’t they have the issue with the black protagonist moaning about white assholes telling her what to do? Maybe there was context but if roles were reversed it would have caused controversy too.

Personally I didn’t buy it because they did a bait and switch on characters - like in TLOU 2 and Ragnarok, which is getting annoying - and it was on Epic Games store not Steam.

They can’t blame the SBI scandal either as that broke this year.

Last edited:
My only reason for not getting the game is cuz they needed a "R-worded" care-taker (Sweet Baby) to add and write a black character in the game... When they could just do it themselves, and she would have been a better (design wise, likeable, and less racist) character.

Also,
Alan Wake has always sucked

Last edited:

hinch7

Epic exclusive, woke, heavy on the hardware... i think we can just collectively agree there were tons of bad decisions holding this game back.
The first AW didn't even sell that well, nor its remaster. A sequel didn't really make much sense from a financial POV. But EGS funded and published AW2.

Only it was a step back from its predecessor. And the questionable story, writing and incredibly slow moving pace killed its appeal.

Last edited:

Doom85

Next time leave Alan Wake as the main character of the game Alan Wake.

He still is the main character. Even Saga’s portion, while still developing her story, focuses heavily on tons of stuff involving Alan. Meanwhile Alan‘s portion has him unaware of Saga for the most part until the final act. Alan Wake 2 is still clearly focused on Alan Wake.

People who actually played a good chunk of the game know this.

Doom85

It's not woke. There's one fucking line in the game that everyone posts and that's literally it.

And the line in the game in full context is saying, “racism against white people is bad“.

The evil doppelgänger of Alan is murderous.
The evil doppelgänger of Saga is hateful and says the racist line.

Why, it’s almost like evil doppelgängers are……bad people!

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Of course, the whiners then moved goalposts, or just continued to post the screenshot by itself and whine because “fuck context”, amirite?

Fake

Gold Member
The apologies are incredible hilarious. Maybe we need more three years to make a conclusion.

Doom85

He is not lol
Only in the first Alan Wake. No change of perspective and no secondary character to play.

Okay, please tell me what the focus of the story of Alan Wake 2 is. When Alan Wake is not on screen, what is the focus of the objectives of the other characters? Because I’m pretty damn sure it’s Alan Wake.

Kabelly

There is no retail presence because there is no physical, and it's exclusive to Epic on PC. So it's basically irrelevant in the eyes of a lot of PC gamers.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
M5ajVQu.jpeg

Reverse the roles and have Alan Wake say black asshole and see how well that would go. Why is she even the protagonist of Alan Wake 2? It made no sense. In the OG game she was actually a male detective. Furthermore it would've made more sense to play as Alan Wake's wife. It may not be super woke but the pandering is night and day.

Also the ending was absolute trash. If you havent played it, Ill spoiler tag it:

she pretty much orders Alan Wake to suffer and have her and her life back to normal because reasons and it ends on a cliffhanger

Fucking lmao.
Her character was never mentioned in Alan Wake. Saga Anderson WAS shown in Quantum Break, where she was a woman (albeit a white woman). But she was never a man.

Vlodril

So, selling out to Epic for exclusivity isn’t worth it? Maybe future developers will take note of this.

Imagine selling HALF of your revenue to an inferior platform. They must have been absolutely desperate for cash.

They paid nothing to make the game though. Epic paid for it. So whatever revenue they make is just a bonus. Not sure that is a terrible deal (especially since their games don't sale a lot).

Guilty_AI

I am really unhappy that we are in some fucked up reverse 2014, where people still attack games by their political leaning of creators, it was annoying then, its annoying now.

The reality of course is really simple, it was badly written game, with so much meta and self reference, that its pretty much impossible to follow, much less enjoy the game...
i mean, the main reason why people make these attacks is because said political leaning tend to affect the writing in a bad way.

Not to mention the people who hold these views have a tendency to kick out talent because their views don't agree with their own.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Ruining the topic of why the game sold shit? :unsure:

Why did the game do shit?

JgYM1bV.jpeg

'I've no idea. Epic, Epic did it..!, it was Epic exclusive, etc etc'

PmBfUwt.jpeg

Utterly fucking boring to read that people still don't get it when the evidence is so apparent and blatent it fucking hurts.

Yet Spider-Man 2, The Last of Us Part II, the Horizon games, etc.., etc.. were more “woke” than AW2 yet flew off the shelves.

Didn’t they have the issue with the black protagonist moaning about white assholes telling her what to do? Maybe there was context but if roles were reversed it would have caused controversy too.

Personally I didn’t buy it because they did a bait and switch on characters - like in TLOU 2 and Ragnarok, which is getting annoying - and it was on Epic Games store not Steam.

They can’t blame the SBI scandal either as that broke this year.

Really don't see how Ragnarok did a bait and switch. Yes you play with the son but the vast majority of the game is played as Kratos. I agree about TLOU 2 but I enjoyed that game so I don't care about the bait and switch. I honestly don't care if games do bait and switches period all that matters is if I like the game overall or not. I'm not here to tell creators how to make their games I just want them to make good games if they think switching characters is what makes it good well I'll be the judge of that.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I am really unhappy that we are in some fucked up reverse 2014, where people still attack games by their political leaning of creators, it was annoying then, its annoying now.

The reality of course is really simple, it was badly written game, with so much meta and self reference, that its pretty much impossible to follow, much less enjoy the game...
This. I fucking hate this so much. It's like people are afraid to let their work stand on its own.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
M5ajVQu.jpeg

Reverse the roles and have Alan Wake say black asshole and see how well that would go. Why is she even the protagonist of Alan Wake 2? It made no sense. Furthermore it would've made more sense to play as Alan Wake's wife. It may not be super woke but the pandering is night and day.

Fucking lmao.

Not only is your interpretation of the ending wrong, they also gave the game a different ending with the free update. It does not end on a cliffhanger.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
i mean, the main reason why people make these attacks is because said political leaning tend to affect the writing in a bad way.

Not to mention the people who hold these views have a tendency to kick out talent because their views don't agree with their own.
I do understand that part, but its all overblown and what is worse that basically no one engage in constructive criticism, its all lazy, I hate x, because of them and their politics. Its not going to get better, if only criticism is going to be "its woke". There are good games and badly written one, while being progressive, but no one really can tell the difference, because only thing you can read is that it is woke. I hate that.

And it was literally same thing while those "SJW" were in site likes these, "oh I cant play it, because nazi make it". I hope I made myself clear, what my issue really is.

peek

Ha, not surprised. Race swapping an established main character, AND its a narrative over gameplay experience? Yeah... recipe for great sales baby! Congrats.

Killer8

As well as the other reasons given in the thread, people forget that the first Alan Wake also sold like shit.

A year and a half after its release, it only managed to shift 500k units via natural sales. An additional 900k units then propped up the sales figures because it was included in the Xbox 2011 holiday bundles.

It then took a PC port, numerous Humble bundles and massive Steam sale price cuts to get it to the 3.2 million figure given in 2015 (*and that's including the 900k from the Xbox bundle).

The shitty remaster in 2021 took 2 years just to make its money back.

When it comes to Alan Wake:

Serious Donald Trump GIF by Bombay Softwares

Fbh

Gold Member
Not releasing on Steam and no physical release on console was a mistake. Epic overestimated the popularity of this franchise, this is a relatively niche IP, not one that was going to bring hundreds of thousands of people over from Steam to the Epic Games store.

Personally I lost a lot of interest when people started saying it's very story focused with meh gameplay. IMO the story has consistently been the worst part of Remedy games for a while, so a game that focuses on that part of their output doesn't sound very compelling. Though I'll probably still try it when it hits $20.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not only is your interpretation of the ending wrong, they also gave the game a different ending with the free update. It does not end on a cliffhanger.

Its not wrong. They made the story all about her and how important she is and fuck Alan Wake. Thats how it is. What does the DLC change? I didnt hear anything about a story DLC being released. The one that came is just side stories. You can spoiler it for me as idc much about Saga or Alan anymore.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

It didn’t sell well because it’s on epic store lol .

Once they get money from Xbox to be on game pass and maybe some money from epic to be free in the weekly rotation they will be good lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Its not wrong. They made the story all about her and how important she is and fuck Alan Wake. Thats how it is. What does the DLC change? I didnt hear anything about a story DLC being released. The one that came is just side stories.

It adds new dialogue peppered through out the game and a modified ending.

Last edited:
With Remedy, Max Payne is a classic and then Control did interesting things but with Control all those interesting things was what the game filed off the serial numbers for the SCP Foundation. The parts that weren't directly inspired by the SCP Foundations were meh. Not horrible but not interesting. (Btw, I don't even blame them for doing an 'homage' to SCP as getting those rights are a fucking nightmare from what I heard). Didn't play AW2, part one was just 'whelming' for me. Can't speak to the controversies with this new game as I never even bothered with it. And if they went all in with Epic, yeah really not going to hit my radar.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

It adds new dialogue peppered through out the game and a modified ending.

I just read it on the wiki. Didnt know this existed. Im glad they sorta fixed the ending, it's a bit better than the original one which really annoyed me.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Ha, not surprised. Race swapping an established main character, AND its a narrative over gameplay experience? Yeah... recipe for great sales baby! Congrats.

Wouldn't really consider Saga Anderson an "established main character".

Holammer

The game was rigged from the start, because despite a vocal minority Alan Wake was never a grade A property or setting to begin with, an 8 out of 10 at best.
The greatest trick the Green Rats ever pulled was convincing the world Alan Wake was amazing.

Alan Wake

Haven't played it.

I loved the first one, but this one didn't look like the same type of game.
It's a great game, although it lacks some of the charming characters from the original. The atmosphere and presentation are both great, I just wish they had focused more on gameplay too. I'm really happy we finally got the sequel. Sad to see it doesn't do better than this, this should be a 8-10 million seller in my mind.

Last edited:

proandrad

M5ajVQu.jpeg

Fucking lmao.
Did you play the game? The whole point of that comment was that the character was filled with insecurities due to being influenced with negative thoughts by the darkness and she was using her race as an excuse. It was literally a commentary of wrongly calling others racist and not taking responsibility for yourself.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Did you play the game? The whole point of that comment was that the character was filled with insecurities due to being influenced by negative thoughts by the darkness and about herself and she was using her race as an excuse. It was literally a commentary of wrongly calling others racist and not taking responsibility for yourself.

I know what it was. Did you read what I said? Switch the roles and have Alan Wake say black assholes and see how that would go with the usual crowd. That line was not necessary in its context to matter what. Asshole would've sufficed. You can't defend this shit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Single player games are for fucking losers
Why not make a single five night at freddy’s skin for forknife and double the profit that this boring ass game made?

Gaming 2024

Alan Wake

I loved Alan Wake but the things I'm hearing about 2 have made me put it on my backlog until it's at least $25 or cheaper. I wont risk wasting my money. With that said I've really liked every single game they've put out since AW. So maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Personally I can't really see how you would dislike Alan Wake 2 if you loved the original (which I did too). The gameplay is about the same, slightly better, the graphics is amazing, the atmosphere top notch and some talked about episodes are mind blowing. It's not perfect, but I think it's Remedy's best yet.

amigastar

I bought the game just to support Remedy but haven't played it very far since i'm not the biggest fan of Horror games.

Top Bottom