• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is still not profitable | Other Remedy Financial Reports (approx 80% of costs recouped)

Begleiter

Stephen King once wrote that "people have had over a quarter of a century to watch Twin Peaks, why would they play the bad cliff notes version?"

Would've saved them some heartache if they'd read that one when they were mining his work for material.

Oh no - the anti-anti-wokes have showed up.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Alan Wake a game where half the game you play as a black woman
So? Most enjoyable parts of the game belonged to her too. If I understood the clues correctly, there's also a significance to it being black woman within the story.
lack of interesting action, long cinematic segments where you have no real control, the detective board, etc.).
1-False--it has good and tense gunplay
2- false(except maybe the last 1-2 hours? plays more like hellblade). I watched a 15 minute long live-action movie in it because I wanted to.
3-They could've done it better/more simple, but it's ok, it adds to the mood.
Happy to see terrible games not doing well. Alan Wake has always sucked
the fact that a game like that got a sequel is embarrassing. The cope that not
being on steam is holding it back is laughable. Most people don't want to play this tripe
it being woke is the least of its problems. fuck. this. game.
It's way better than the first game. It's the best next gen survival horror game, maybe the best of all time.
heavy on the hardware
Played it on a 3060 ti/9700k system, at medium settings, 1440p, dlss quality mode-- it was smooth/stable 60fps with gorgeous graphics even in those settings.
I loved Alan Wake but the things I'm hearing about 2 have made me put it on my backlog until it's at least $25 or cheaper. I wont risk wasting my money. With that said I've really liked every single game they've put out since AW. So maybe I'm just being paranoid.
You're missing out, especially as a Remedy fan(?).
M5ajVQu.jpeg

Reverse the roles and have Alan Wake say black asshole and see how well that would go.
"Dark Saga?" was saying that, among other bad stuff. But I admit that it was unnecessary and didn't contribute to the story.

I'm concerned about the future of an industry where even excellent work like this can put companies in crisis. I hope we get to see Alan Wake 3. I'm eagerly awaiting the Lake House DLC. Trust the critics, especially this time; it was truly an incredible experience.

proandrad

I know what it was. Did you read what I said? Switch the roles and have Alan Wake say black assholes and see how that would go with the usual crowd. That line was not necessary in its context to matter what. Asshole would've sufficed. You can't defend this shit.
The purple people would be offended, ignore the context and start the same idiotic conversation. But instead of falsely accusing it of woke it would be called racist. Just trading one type of dumb for another. Saying the other side would also act like snowflakes doesn’t excuse your snowflake mentality.

Doom85

I know what it was. Did you read what I said? Switch the roles and have Alan Wake say black assholes and see how that would go with the usual crowd. That line was not necessary in its context to matter what. Asshole would've sufficed. You can't defend this shit.

So we can’t even have the message of, “racism against white people is bad” because of hypothetical situations of how certain people will react?

Season 3 Wow GIF by The Office

This is growing proof that a lot of the people who still proudly label themselves “woke“ and “anti-woke” are both purely fueled by drama and really are two sides of the same coin at the end of the day. Geezus, it’s a message that the anti-woke should AGREE WITH, and yet here we are, still hearing complaining. See, I don’t give a shit about the “woke” crowd whining in this particular situation because it is currently the “anti-woke” crowd whining about a message of “racism against white people is bad”!

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

This shit is just....like holy hell, reality is becoming more nonsensical than fantasy.

I might have called myself woke years ago but definitely not now. But I’m certainly not calling myself anti-woke either. On both sides, it’s mostly just people looking for any angle to complain about, It’s embarrassing to be associated with either at this point.

C2astRv.gif

Personally I can't really see how you would dislike Alan Wake 2 if you loved the original (which I did too). The gameplay is about the same, slightly better, the graphics is amazing, the atmosphere top notch and some talked about episodes are mind blowing. It's not perfect, but I think it's Remedy's best yet.

Yea I honestly feel like I'm being paranoid just from the randoms online. Like I said since the original AW game not one game from them has disappointed me. They vary in enjoyment from one title to the next but I never regret the money spent. I really should buy it especially just to support the studio. Easily one of my favorite devs out there. Will see I have so much in my backlog right now.

Jaybe

Yet Spider-Man 2, The Last of Us Part II, the Horizon games, etc.., etc.. were more “woke” than AW2 yet flew off the shelves.

In comparing launch aligned sales, Spider-man 2 has sold worse than Spider-man 1, and TLOU2 had sold worse than TLOU1, and same with Horizon FW vs ZD. They have the shoulders of the predecessor to stand on but then botch it with narrative, characters, and political inserts people dislike for their own writers’ hubris. The sad part is the gameplay of at least TLOU2 & SM2 are better than their predecessors.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The purple people would be offended, ignore the context and start the same idiotic conversation. But instead of falsely accusing it of woke it would be called racist. Just trading one type of dumb for another. Saying the other side would also act like snowflakes doesn’t excuse your snowflake mentality.
So we can’t even have the message of, “racism against white people is bad” because of hypothetical situations of how certain people will react?

I didnt even say the game was woke tho, so no idea where all this is coming from. That one line wasnt even the whole issue with the game I had. It's not just the purple people who would get offended and you both know that unless you've been living under a rock. But you are correct, it was racist.

FeastYoEyes

I've been super curious about it but not curious enough to have a separate launcher for it. With all the political blech, any survival horror fans care to comment on how well it achieves that genre? Is it more RE, Silent Hill or Alone in the Dark reboot?

Last edited:
What I liked about Alan Wake 1 was the contrast between the spooky stuff and the normal small-town life stuff inbetween. Alan Wake 2's atmosphere started feeling very one-note.

FingerBang

Looks like the 'many people' you mention is just your imagination because the game solds terrible as you keep seeing time to time.

This is pretty much the Deathloop situation. The little amount of 'gamers' that buy AW2 fold the game amazing, a 10 out of 10, when in the real world the game is pretty mid and sold very badly.

We can discuss about the small group of people that buy the game and loved, or we can back to the real world and discuss the game not even making profit after that amount of time.
Keep attacking that strawman, but I never said the game was successful and sold well. I'm just saying its failure has nothing to do with being woke. COD has rainbow flags all over and puts black women everywhere. Not failing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Ozriel

M$FT
Go woke get broke

Game was fully funded by Epic, so Remedy ain’t losing money. Epic would have covered all costs, including dev salaries and marketing. All this means is that Remedy isn’t getting any profit from the game.

Epic’s loss, in this case

The woke elements turned me off, but I haven't been a fan of Remedy since the Max Payne days, so I wasn't all that interested to begin with. From what I saw of the game, there were numerous weaknesses beyond the forced diversity (e.g., lack of interesting action, long cinematic segments where you have no real control, the detective board, etc.). Glad it isn't doing well. Hopefully they won't waste time with a third game.

‘forced diversity’ here means ‘they put a black person in the game’.

Last edited:

Kerotan

That exclusivity deal with Epic sure is paying off...

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff
I mean they've not lost any money and it's not been heavily discounted yet. I'm pretty sure they'll turn a profit by next year.

Alan Woke 2 isn't that bad a game so I wish it success.

Three

Game was fully funded by Epic, so Remedy ain’t losing money. Epic would have covered all costs, including dev salaries and marketing. All this means is that Remedy isn’t getting any profit from the game.

Epic’s loss, in this case

‘forced diversity’ here means ‘they put a black person in the game’.
If it was fully funded they would be at break even from the offset. They weren't.

Edit: Just read their agreement. You're right.

Last edited:
Replacing Alan Wake with a woman of color for most of the game didn’t help. Also, digital only cut off potential sales from people who love buying physical games. Having SBI involved is one of the reasons it flopped with their virtue signaling ideologies they push in games. The fact it sold like shit is proof of all of those reasons unless your in denial or trying to look progressive to certain people and defend that crap.

my deep dislike of this game has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that it's a pretentious, narcissistic exercise in self-indulgence. & that rather than being some kinda tribute/compliment to the ingeniousness of the original game, the developers spend a couple dozen hours demonstrating that they no longer have a clue as to what it is that makes the original game as great as it is...

Rambone

Go Epic go broke.*

Why anyone would sign exclusive deals with a dead store front is beyond me. Exclusive deals in general are hurting the income lines of a lot of companies it seems.

I'd go Epic if I had a steaming heap of trash to offload. Collect my check and laugh all the way to the bank and then cash in another check soon as the 1 year is up for the hold outs on Steam and sell for full price again. Win/Win.

Ozriel

M$FT
Fixed that for you, and yes, that’s pretty much the quintessential definition of forced diversity

They made a development decision. Behind the scenes. Before revealing the game to the public.

What does that change for you as a consumer, though? How does that affect YOU as a player? Does that change the controls, the animation?

The excuse worked for the Assassins Creed thread since you could hide under 'historical accuracy'. Waiting for you to show how Alan Wake's based off a true story that's dear to your heart

Ozriel

M$FT
my deep dislike of this game has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that it's a pretentious, narcissistic exercise in self-indulgence. & that rather than being some kinda tribute/compliment to the ingeniousness of the original game, the developers spend a couple dozen hours demonstrating that they no longer have a clue as to what it is that makes the original game as great as it is...

But this sequel released to much greater critical acclaim than the original title, getting accolades the original never did.

Jaybe

They made a development decision. Behind the scenes. Before revealing the game to the public.

What does that change for you as a consumer, though? How does that affect YOU as a player? Does that change the controls, the animation?

The excuse worked for the Assassins Creed thread since you could hide under 'historical accuracy'. Waiting for you to show how Alan Wake's based off a true story that's dear to your heart

I guess you admit it was forced diversity. And it also gave them the perfect set up to put the most racist line of dialogue I’ve seen in a video game ever. If it was “black asshole” or “Chinese asshole”, instead of “white asshole”, would you also be defending them? And seeing that they used Sweet Baby Inc as a partner who’s owner hates white gamers and white main characters plus has employees that are openly racist, it all sort of lines up.

Jesb

Haven’t played it but the first game was not fun. I hear the same about this one too. It has graphics and atmosphere I’ll give it that.

Zathalus

Wait, you’re telling me a sequel to a 13 year old niche game that is Epic exclusive and didn’t have a physical release at launch sold poorly? Wow, I’m shocked.

Race change Saga and remove that line about racism being bad and I’m pretty sure the sales numbers would barely change.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fixed that for you, and yes, that’s pretty much the quintessential definition of forced diversity

I hope you're aware that Quantum Break and Alan Wake 2 are not only not the same game, they're also not set in the same universe.

That'd be like making a continued fuss about why Nick Fury is Sam Jackson instead of David Hasselhoff, now.

thief183

I might hsbe bought more than 5 times Alan wake 1 and dlc between gog, steam, Xbox 360 and presents for friends, I love that game. But you can bu sure as he'll I'll never buy this POS unless they make it new with only Alan as a protagonist. Fk race swap, and fk DEI stupidity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Remedy did a great job misleading people. For a while AW2, you'd think it starred AW. Then the first real trailers are shown and it's not even him as the main character.

It'd be like a Spiderman 5 movie. But turns out, you play Aunt May for half the game.

Top Bottom