• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is still not profitable | Other Remedy Financial Reports (approx 80% of costs recouped)

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I've been super curious about it but not curious enough to have a separate launcher for it. With all the political blech, any survival horror fans care to comment on how well it achieves that genre? Is it more RE, Silent Hill or Alone in the Dark reboot?
I can say that Alan Wake 2 has combined the atmosphere, story, and mystery of Silent Hill 2 with the gameplay of Resident Evil 2 Remake, creating a game that, except for the story (which I think was good but can't match Silent Hill 2) and easy puzzles(which is fine), surpasses both in everything else.
Remedy did a great job misleading people. For a while AW2, you'd think it starred AW. Then the first real trailers are shown and it's not even him as the main character.

It'd be like a Spiderman 5 movie. But turns out, you play Aunt May for half the game.
Its more like MGS 2, but better. I'm not sure if it would have been as impactful if we had started the game with Alan Wake.

StereoVsn

Replacing Alan Wake with a woman of color for most of the game didn’t help. Also, digital only cut off potential sales from people who love buying physical games. Having SBI involved is one of the reasons it flopped with their virtue signaling ideologies they push in games. The fact it sold like shit is proof of all of those reasons unless your in denial or trying to look progressive to certain people and defend that crap.
You forgot the elephant in the room, namely it’s on a PC storefront where games don’t sell.

But yeah, that and all of the above.

Arioco

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

I haven't played the game yet. What kind of woke fuckery should I expect this time? I don't remember reading anything about woke shit in Alan Wake 2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I haven't played the game yet. What kind of woke fuckery should I expect this time? I don't remember reading anything about woke shit in Alan Wake 2.

A black woman is the co-lead of the game and near the end there's a throw-away line where she says something like "another white asshole trying to tell me what to do" while tripping balls from the antagonistic dark presence of the game.

That's about it.

A black woman is the co-lead of the game and near the end there's a throw-away line where she says something like "another white asshole trying to tell me what to do" while tripping balls from the antagonistic dark presence of the game.

That's about it.

It's funny how saying stuff like that is now considered woke. I just recently rewatched all the die hard movies (man is DH2 so bad) and DH3 Samuel L Jackson was pretty much just a racist. It was great though and funny as hell. These days you could never do that character without people just calling it woke garbage.

SJRB

Gold Member
Agree to disagree. She was certainly established, and I saw her as part of the main cast.

Race swapped for the luls xD

O don't get me wrong, I think race-swapping is a dogshit practice and I find it super bizarre that they did this in the first place instead of just creating a new character. There are probably 243 ways to write this character into the story without having to resort to a race-swap. Big L for Remedy in that regard.

Bernardougf

I just never saw the first game as this huge success that a second one would bring rivers of cash specially so far apart each other... it was a xbox exclusive that later expanded right ? Correct me if Im wrong. A sequel to an "exclusivish" game from a smaller (xbox) user base getting a sequel 13/14 years later in a scenario where they sold in the Epic store which pc masters race dont indulge and the xbox fanbase (the original's game fambase) dont buy games anymore... Couldn't see much chance of big success honestly.

adamsapple

Agree to disagree. She was certainly established, and I saw her as part of the main cast.

Race swapped for the luls xD

Was she established in the Alan Wake games?

I just never saw the first game as this huge success that a second one would bring rivers of cash specially so far apart each other... it was a xbox exclusive that later expanded right ? Correct me if Im wrong. A sequel to an "exclusivish" game from a smaller (xbox) user base getting a sequel 13/14 years later in a scenario where they sold in the Epic store which pc masters race dont indulge and the xbox fanbase (the original's game fambase) dont buy games anymore... Couldn't see much chance of big success honestly.

Golf clap for turning this into an xbox-console-war rant somehow lol, you never disappoint.

The first game was available on PS for years before the sequel, which also launched on PS at the same time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Alan Wake is niche game but with big budget for its graphics which is not gonna help to make profit.

This is why most niche games are not high budget because they don’t sell high enough to justify having big budget.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah I never bought it. Mostly because it wasn’t on Steam, but it also sounded like the game was less horror and more experimental. Also thought Control was pretty meh.

Hudo

I share the sentiment that this game needs to be on Steam. But the chances of that happening is slim since Epic were the ones bankrolling the game.

Bernardougf

Was she established in the Alan Wake games?

Golf clap for turning this into an xbox-console-war rant somehow lol, you never disappoint.

The first game was available on PS for years before the sequel, which also launched on PS at the same time.
Mate you have phils dick so far up your ass that you feel the need to defend even posts that arent even remotely about his and xbox fuck ups... I really hope you are being paid to be such a shill for them because if not its just pathetic.

No is not a war post .... the game was exclusive for xbox console for years until it came out on playstation and 02 years before went to PC... so the fanbase was mostly xbox fans for two years. After this initial two years who knows how the game perfomed on pc and many years later on playstation. I played on the 360 and since them not once i though (my god this game deserves a sequel) ... pont being it was not a huge franchise... if was it wouldn't take them 10 years to launch the sequel. My point still stands .. they launched a primarily xbox/pc tied franchise exclusively to epic store, big mistake for pc sales, and couldn't count this time with xbox (the original fanbase) sales, leaving playstation fans who liked the remastered version or played the original 10 years ago to support the sequel and drive sales.... so is not surprising this sequel didnt meet expectations no matter its quality.

Fake

Gold Member
Always excuses. See you guys next year when this same thread will be created asking the same questions.

adamsapple

Always excuses. See you guys next year when this same thread will be created asking the same questions.

They're releasing the game physically in a few weeks. Should be easily breaching that final 20% with that.

Fake

Gold Member
They're releasing the game physically in a few weeks. Should be easily breaching that final 20% with that.

Wasn't the problem the lack of physical media? Or releasing on Epic Store instead of Steam? Or being is mix progressive? Or because you play 50% without the main character?

You guys need to pick your poison and stick with.

adamsapple

Wasn't the problem the lack of physical media? Or releasing on Epic Store instead of Steam? Or being is mix progressive? Or because you play 50% without the main character?

You guys need to pick your poison and stick with.

Oh, I don't subscribe to one of those three at all, for the other two:

Releasing on EGS exclusive obviously hurt the sales, but then the game was fully funded by EGS, it's kinda like how there wouldn't have been a Bayonetta 2 if Nintendo didn't fund it.

Similarly, there were quiet a few Gaffers (to use as an example of a subset) who said they wouldn't buy the game because it was digital only. Now that it isn't, they should be putting their money where their mouth is.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It might shock you, but many people have played the game and don't find it more "woke" than the average game and consider it a good game. I'm one of them.
You enjoy it, that's okay 🤷‍♂️

Yes, SBI probably affected the skin color of the protagonist
Don't care about that 🤷‍♂️

and some of the dialogues
I do care about that. They dont add anything to gaming. As has been seen by the many other car crash games they've been involved with. Not to mention the utterly shit dialogue three minutes into the game

but overall, the game is not trying to fight capitalism or white supremacism
It's not trying to be Alan Wake 2 either. You don't even play as him from the off

nor trying to stress that fat, trans people of color need to be deified. I'd also add that no one fucking knew what SBI was when the game came out
So fucking what. I paid full whack for the deluxe edition and from the off it had that shitty writing I hate, now I/we know know why. Word of mouth after finding out did it no favours.

so no, it didn't flop "because woke." It's likely it flopped because the game cost relatively a lot to make (for the cutting edge graphics); it was Epic exclusive and digital only.
So expensive, yet they can funnel money to SBI and their bunch of wanky grifters 👍

Now show me a game that's been brilliant with them involved, didn't have shit writing, and did well?

And don't gaslight me with that shitty Spiderman 2 garbage. Everyone knows it's dogshit.

Alan Wake a game where half the game you play as a black woman. Digital only. Exclusive to a platform thats pretty much dead when it comes to singleplayer player base. Remedy is not very smart when it comes to these decisisions. Control was in the same boat and so was Quantum Break. Sam and the other 2 CEO's need to go. Bungie and many other companies got fucked by their leaders.
a black woman stereotypically complaining about white men, in a game about a white man played mostly by white men
gotta be worth at least 50 pander bucks in todays market

remedy invests those in the BET500 until the ps6 comes out, they might be eligible for an ubisoft buyout.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

They made this game with their hearts, not their heads. Horror fans are incredibly loyal and thirsty for content. They will buy anything in their wheelhouse even if it looks like total trash, and it runs on their hardware. In fact, they love trash more than quality. There are just not that many of them. If remedy absolutely had to make this game, because of their vision and creative needs of the team, they should have cut the budget down to the bone and lowered the system requirements.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I do like Alan Wake 2 as a game. But to be perfectly honest, I found it a bit weird that they turned Saga black.
Why is it weird? And yeah, I know that that sweet baby-something company "helped out" and was probably the reason she's black.

simpatico

Gold Member
Yet Spider-Man 2, The Last of Us Part II, the Horizon games, etc.., etc.. were more “woke” than AW2 yet flew off the shelves.
Right but consider the buyers. The games you mentioned are high profile. The games you're "supposed to play" if you own a Playstation. Alan Wake is a little more niche. Slop addicts are going to buy Spider-Man if they retcon his story to make a penis grow out of his forehead. It really doesn't matter how good the game is (so long as it's not lolcow bad like Suicide Squad). We've got customers in this thread who didn't buy AW2 because of it's leanings. Hell, I'm a Remedy superfan and I haven't bought it yet (mostly because of mesh shader incompatibility, but tbh seeing the launch trailers took much of the sting away)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The fact that they don't even know what Woke means and made their own definition for it tells you all there is.
Indeed. Most people who use it to try and downplay/insult have no clue of its origins or purpose. Which is why they are the easiest to ignore! :)

OT: Epic's exclusivity coupled with a staggered physical release really hurt. Hoping it at least makes it to the 100% mark before EoL.

Last edited:

keefged4

It was boring with forced cringe dance sections in the middle. Plus its Epic exclusive, if it was on Steam at least it'd maybe break even. Very disappointing compared to the first game regardless.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

ssringo

For me, it had everything going against it every step of the way so I never gave it a second look.

- Sequel to a game I played over a decade ago and while it's a decent enough game, any fondness I had was washed away by it's weak side game (American Nightmare) which was also over a decade ago.
- Control...is simply a better and more interesting concept. Jesse > Alan. Quite frankly Alan Wake pales in comparison to Control and Max Payne. Remedy is very hit or miss in my book.
- PC requirements were quite high at launch (I know they lowered them later) to the point where I couldn't play it at a reasonable level.
- It was on a PC store I didn't use.
- After all the above, it was also coming out between several other games I was interested in that didn't come with baggage.

Hohenheim

It was boring with forced cringe dance sections in the middle. Plus its Epic exclusive, if it was on Steam at least it'd maybe break even. Very disappointing compared to the first game regardless.

The dance section was probably in my top 3 favourite videogame moments in 2023. And I hate musicals.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

It didnt make money cause the Game Fucking Sucked.

I say that as a massive AW1 fan.
Dude,the game was GOTY many places and for lots of folks.
Too bad it sucked for you, but objectively the game did definitly not suck, and that was not the reason it didn't sell millions.
It's definitly weird and niche, but as far as videogames as an art - AW2 was fantastic.

I didn't care too much for the original btw. It was good, but nowhere near the sequel for me. I love that they took everything a lot further, and that Sam Lake brought out his inner David Lynch.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Alan Wake a game where half the game you play as a black woman. Digital only. Exclusive to a platform thats pretty much dead when it comes to singleplayer player base. Remedy is not very smart when it comes to these decisisions. Control was in the same boat and so was Quantum Break. Sam and the other 2 CEO's need to go. Bungie and many other companies got fucked by their leaders.
If I say something, they'll ban me... But. I agree with what you say.... Putting someone who is not Alan wake is what killed the game....

Top Bottom