• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

KaiserBecks

Remedy wtf. I expected them to add more RT/details, not to just switch the upscaler. They really don’t want this game to sell do they. This could’ve been a perfect opportunity to give this game some buzz. The physical version releases just a couple of weeks before the Pro and people who buy the Pro will want to get showcase games asap. Remedy you dumb fuck.

You shouldn't compare numbers like that because in real world scenarios it doesn't work out. For instance the Series X might have more flops but plenty of times the PS5 looks better or has more stable frame rates. A console has a lot of dedicated hardware and low level integrations that a PC simply lacks. That is why a PS5 even today with an increased price and 4 year old hardware is still a more economical choice than a PC that will be similar in performance.

The same will be true for the PS5 Pro. Especially with dedicated upscaling hardware. Sony will get better at developing the toolkit for this stuff like Nvidia did with DLSS or Intel with XeSS. It will probably benefit a console even more than a PC too.
This was the case in the PS3 era, but not on PS4 and PS5 when similar GPU was able to match console results. Only the most recent PS4 ports (Uncharted 4, God Of War, RDR2, Horizon, Detroit Become Human) required much faster GPUs on PC, but I guess developers stopped optimizing their ports at that point because modern GPUs were so fast compared to the PS4 that they could brute force everything.

I saw 6600XT gameplays and this GPU matched the PS5 results. The RX6700XT is even faster than the 2080S and it's not far behind the RTX2080ti. I had the 2080ti for a day and this card runs PS5 ports with ease with much higher settings.

Last edited:

akira__

I think people shit on Destin too much.

You reap what you sow

During the start of this generation he pushed out daily videos while high on hopium and copium. Shitting on everything playstation and why xbox was winning. That was his whole stick.

Just a few days ago he tried the narrative the "no ps5 pro, just get a PC".
And then 2 days, he tweets that he will get a ps5 pro.

If keep you cheerleading and defend xbox/pc and shit on playstation publicly. Then why preorder their products?

I haven't seen any other brand with so many proffesional cheerleaders, that have been cheerleading all throughout it's demise.

- Release midgen upgrade at the start of the gen
- Release base console that is weaker then a console, released 2 years prior
- No launch games
- Destroy Forza motorsport
- Almost all exclusives release with only with 30 fps mode, while marketing pushed the most powerful console

Each of those points he has multiple videos cheerleading, high on copium.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Ahh, that dream of 1080p60 we all wanted back in 2013 on consoles...
UoS3N8Hv1kyKF3IrEA.webp

Jokes aside if pssr is good it shouldnt look much worse from native 1080p, AW2 is slowass game anyways.

Vick

Gold Member
You reap what you sow

During the start of this generation he pushed out daily videos while high on hopium and copium. Shitting on everything playstation and why xbox was winning. That was his whole stick.

Just a few days ago he tried the narrative the "no ps5 pro, just get a PC".
And then 2 days, he tweets that he will get a ps5 pro.

If keep you cheerleading and defend xbox/pc and shit on playstation publicly. Then why preorder their products?

I haven't seen any other brand with so many proffesional cheerleaders, that have been cheerleading all throughout it's demise.

- Release midgen upgrade at the start of the gen
- Release base console that is weaker then a console, released 2 years prior
- No launch games
- Destroy Forza motorsport
- Almost all exclusives release with only with 30 fps mode, while marketing pushed the most powerful console

Each of those points he has multiple videos cheerleading, high on copium.

I see, wasn't aware of any of this.

Still, I don't think he's near a colteastwood or a TimDog.

I don't believe it, I call this bullshit.
Source is Alex from DF, hard to believe they would blatantly lie like this.

I mean I know it sounds sarcastic but really, they can't just lie. Same native resolution as base PS5, either Remedy used the extra power to improve the visuals in some other way, or they simply removed FSR for PSSR in a quick and dirty low effort update.

So if this with path tracing, actually pretty good performance.
Yeah.. wouldn't count on that.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Because it's extremely stupid to tell people to get a PC that DON'T WANT A PC!

Ok, I get that. It's also the same to tell people that they are skint have no money or shouldn't be able to express their disappointment in how poor this showcase and the price is to them.

The perceived price of this product to me vs what sony are asking for doesn't line up.

Esppiral

Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 PRO with PSVR2, here we go! Hoping for 90FPS and higher resolution in VR mode.

8K with PSSR upscaling.
Fake 8k then.

I see, wasn't aware of any of this.

Still, I don't think he's near a colteastwood or a TimDog.

Source is Alex from DF, hard to believe they would blatantly lie like this.

I mean I know it sounds sarcastic but really, they can't just lie. Same native resolution as base PS5, either Remedy used the extra power to improve the visuals in some other way, or they simply removed FSR for PSSR in a quick and dirty low effort update.

Yeah.. wouldn't count on that.
Opposite to most people in here that hate DF I actually trust them, but is this based on rumours or he had acces to raw footage? I find hard to believe that the game is running at so low resolution on Ps5 pro, or regular Ps5 for that matter.

Kazdi

Neo Member
If we are talking improved graphics and RT while PSSR takes it to solid 4k image quality at 60 fps Iam all for it. That is how I imagine games running on pro.

Vick

Gold Member
Opposite to most people in here that hate DF I actually trust them, but is this based on rumours or he had acces to raw footage?
They have access to a 60+GB version of the video, used as source for their analysis.

I find hard to believe that the game is running at so low resolution on Ps5 pro, or regular Ps5 for that matter.
Not that hard to believe. The game is very demanding and not just for its RT use. I find ridiculous how much it is demanding in spite of how awful it could look at times even maxed out:

C3mBNcb.jpg

Native 1440p 60fps Console game:

RcmNrbu.png

But it is. Starting from a similar resolution to make PSSR do the work on, at 60fps, doesn't sound too crazy for an update we don't know how much effort they put into.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I find there are certain people that simply just want to jump at every opportunity to piss on this thing. Even when doing so is as blatantly biased as we are seeing in this example.
Yep, and it’s strange because there are lots of PlayStation guys among them. It continues the trend of the hateboner many have for this console (or mid-gen refreshes in general). There’s so much negativity surrounding this console.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The hatred for the pro from the Xbox and pc boys is running into overdrive, and you can always trust digital foundry to provide ammunition for them.

It's almost like there's a coordinating campaign
Nah, not true. A lot of PS fans hate it too and hated it since it was rumored. "We don’t need a Pro!" "Sony isn’t even releasing games, why release a Pro?" "What a useless console." and so on.

Even in the PS subreddit, there was pushback against the very idea of a mid-gen refresh. It’s as if the very thought of it offends some.

Seomel

Neo Member
Yep, and it’s strange because there are lots of PlayStation guys among them. It continues the trend of the hateboner many have for this consoles (or mid-gen refreshes in general). There’s so much negativity surrounding this console.
lead up to ps5 was like this too i remember, ''insiders'' like dusk gole mspreading fake news about re village performance, then the rumours of delayed ps5 production due to overheating and loads of other bs all around for xbox too

akira__

Yep, and it’s strange because there are lots of PlayStation guys among them. It continues the trend of the hateboner many have for this consoles (or mid-gen refreshes in general). There’s so much negativity surrounding this console.
Are you part of the Positivity around this console?

PeteBull

Gold Member
PC players are hypocritical and playing on 720p or 540p with DLSS / FSR On.
U need to stop treat pc players as one entity, most of them(actually 90% according to steamsurvey) have weaker gpu than ps5pr0 and we talking in raster, if we include rt and upscaling its even bigger difference coz all amd cards dont count anymore for obvious reason.
On the other hand u got bleeding edge enthusiasts(its called that coz to stay on the edge u actually gotta bleed money, exhibit A:mine 3080ti that has good dlss upscaling, more rt power and 2x ps5 power so well above ps5pr0- have cost me 2200€ in mid 2021- was durning cryptoboom, nuff said).

Gaiff

Lol, I think it's more because, for a few years, many haven't liked the direction PlayStation has been taking. The PC ports, the focus on GAAS, and the supposed lack of first-party exclusives. The introduction of a Pro console when some feel cheated by the regular one isn't being taken well. Seen fans literally wish for Sony to fail so they can be taught a lesson and go back to the old ways of single-player games, no GAAS, and no PC ports.

Yes. The one thing I hated (and still do hate) was the price. Otherwise, I was quite optimistic about it.

Vick

Gold Member
Nah, not true. A lot of PS fans hate it too and hated it since it was rumored. "We don’t need a Pro!" "Sony isn’t even releasing games, why release a Pro?" "What a useless console." and so on.

Even in the PS subreddit, there was pushback against the very idea of a mid-gen refresh. It’s as if the very thought of it offends some.
Hard to argue about some of those points.

He's been fairly neutral and objective in my experience, which is the most sensibile stand imo at this point. Positive mostly even at times.

This is what DF do. They gaslight and create FUD around anything Playstation. They'll find any loophole, any statement to spin, one game out of 1000, one scene out of 10000.

They were doing that for PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and now PS5 Pro. There is reason they were not invited by Sony this time. Because they are working for the competition. They are propaganda tool for a soulless trillionaire corporation.

akira__

Yes. The one thing I hated (and still do hate) was the price. Otherwise, I was quite optimistic about it.

Based on your post you come across as someone in the xbox/pc camp. A more technical destin as you will.

Destin was also positive about gt7 and GoW in the end.

Last edited:

Three

Exactly this is the difference between 6700 and 6800, or 4060 and 4070 - just one tier in GPU stacks.

For comparison PS4 Pro was over 2.2x faster than PS4 and Xbox One X GPU was over 4.5x faster than Xbox One!!!

This power jump is pathetic for that 800 euros...
How is 45% pathetic? How exactly would this work if the PS5 base nvidia equivalent is considered to be a 2070 and a PS5 Pro near 4070?

Last edited:

keefged4

How is 45% pathetic? How exactly would this work if the PS5 base is nvidia equivalent is considered to be a 2070 and a PS5 Pro near 4070?
It's only 45% GPU increase, no change to the CPU. so 30fps games will still be CPU limited and will remain at 30fps.

Vick

Gold Member
Lol, I think it's more because, for a few years, many haven't liked the direction PlayStation has been taking. The PC ports, the focus on GAAS, and the supposed lack of first-party exclusives. The introduction of a Pro console when some feel cheated by the regular one isn't being taken well. Seen fans literally wish for Sony to fail so they can be taught a lesson and go back to the old ways of single-player games, no GAAS, and no PC ports.
Yeah yeah, I know, was joking.. mostly.
Sony deserves pressure anyway so it's all good, they historically did great when pressured.

I just personally hope to see Pro succeed because I want a powerful console gaming niche, as powerful as possibile to be honest. More powerful consoles, especially base one, would also benefit PC gamers alot.

Otherwise, I was quite optimistic about it.
I agree. We posted at the same time. lol

Last edited:

Gaiff

Based on your post you come across as someone in the xbox/pc camp.
I'm not in any "camp". Those are tools of entertainment. I call things as I see them. I like consoles and always have. Not interested whatsoever in platforming warring and find it idiotic.
This is what DF do. They gaslight and create FUD around anything Playstation. They'll find any loophole, any statement to spin, one game out of 1000, one scene out of 10000.

They were doing that for PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and now PS5 Pro. There is reason they were not invited by Sony this time. Because they are working for the competition. They are propaganda tool for a soulless trillionaire corporation.
Don't think it's fair to blame DF. That's what their internal analyses reveal and fanboys are now running with it to shit on the console. If they saw 840p, they saw 840p, not much else they can do. As Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix mentioned, however, this just sounds like Remedy swapped FSR with PSSR. If that's the case, it means there's quite a bit of headroom for higher resolution or better graphics. The base console did well enough keeping 60fps if I remember. I expect them to either increase the resolution or add ray-traced shadows which are desperately needed on consoles in that game. The patch isn't out to the public, so attempting to dance on the Pro's grave seems premature.
It's only 45% GPU increase, no change to the CPU. so 30fps games will still be CPU limited and will remain at 30fps.
There are like five 30fps-only games and even fewer that are CPU-bound because of real hardware limitations. I also like how the better ray tracing performance is glossed over. The 45% is misleading because of PSSR. If 1440 --> 4K ends up looking relatively similar to DLSS, then you're getting twice the quality for similar performance (which lines up with Cerny saying people won't have to choose between quality and performance). That 45% figure is ultimately meaningless because what matters is the final result. If you get to play games at the same image quality but at double the frame rate, you've effectively increased the GPU power by 100%. If that's the case, then who cares about 45%? Ask anyone on PC, virtually everyone uses DLSS.

Three

The CPU is clocked higher, you can turn a lot of 30fps games into 60fps. Most games have 60fps anyway with lowered settings. Going from 30CUs in base PS5 to 60CUs in PS5 Pro will take them to higher settings and resolution at 60fps. This is the equivalent of going from a 2070 or more precisely an AMD 6700 to a 4070. Trying to downplay this by saying its a meager bump is just not genuine.

Last edited:

Zathalus

They pixel counted the ProRes footage Sony sent them.

Instead of these DF are evil takes, in the actual video DF reiterated the following:

- That PSSR is very good, much better than FSR and only has room to improve in future.
- Quite clearly said that visual differences on a TV at regular viewing differences are going to be hard to spot.
- These are quick and dirty patches from developers that are likely busy with other projects. Don’t take these first way of games as the way games developed with the Pro in mind would look.
- Only had 6 seconds of Alan Wake 2 footage to go off of so can’t speculate over any other upgrade other than RT reflections in the 30fps mode.
- Hogwarts legacy having shit RT reflections is not the fault of the console, but because UE4s implementation of RT sucks.

gerth666

Nah, sorry it doesn't seem like that to me my friend.

The thing is you don't need to buy it, so it doesn't effect ps fans.

In my opinion what drives the hatred is that Xbox fanboys are worried that they can't claim the most powerful box narrative anymore and are jealous that they are not getting a pro model, and pc guys don't like the fact that a console is getting newer technology, which they have only had up to now.

I've said previously the criticism is coming from people who were never going to buy it regardless of price or features. It's all platform wars

There are like five 30fps-only games and even fewer that are CPU-bound because of real hardware limitations.

I also like how the better ray tracing performance is glossed over. The 45% is misleading because of PSSR. If 1440 --> 4K ends up looking relatively similar to DLSS, then you're getting twice the quality for similar performance (which lines up with Cerny saying people won't have to choose between quality and performance).

That 45% figure is ultimately meaningless because what matters is the final result. If you get to play games at the same image quality but at double the frame rate, you've effectively increased the GPU power by 100%. If that's the case, then who cares about 45%? Ask anyone on PC, virtually everyone uses DLSS.

This should be stuck on top of every PS5 Pro thread

But 45% is the new 9 teraflops, unsustained bullshit from 4 years ago

The other one is "CPU-limited"

Last edited:
Top Bottom