• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

If you're easily offended I guess, Saga was a cameo easter egg like scene in Quantum Break and when it came to the new vibe they were out to tell with AWII, it probably just came naturally to go in a different direction and the actress for Saga fitted that perfectly.

I've loved her performance so far and am not bothered about her race at all.
Imo she's one of the most attractive female characters we've had in a AAA game in a while so I'm all for it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm at 18 hours and Im at the Watery and approaching
Coffee World
so yeah, put me up there with not understanding how people finish this in 15 hours lol

Assaulty

22 hours in and nearing the end. Not one to go for all the collectibles but I've tried to gather as much of the story as possible.

Didn't think it was going to happen, but I preferred the Saga chapters over Wakes. They feel more in line with Alan wake 1 to me.

JCK75

The publisher is epic games meaning they funded development of this game, I don't like exclusivity bullshit either but here boycott doesn't really make much sense.

So my choice to boycott them should be put aside because they are the publisher?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I want to discuss one line that happens towards the end of the game.

Idk if it falls under “woke” or whatever but for me it caught me off guard, it stuck out like a sore thumb , and made me think Saga is a bit well … racist ?

She specifically says “Another white asshole telling me what to do.”

This made NO sense in the context of her character. Highly educated FBI agent , with a white partner for work, with a white grand father, etc that she is also a bigot. On one hand sure people are multi layered , but on the other hand in a game full of great writing and complexity to out of left field throw in her saying that felt so out of place and character and did not need to exist.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Idk if it falls under “woke” or whatever but for me it caught me off guard, it stuck out like a sore thumb , and made me think Saga is a bit well … racist ?

This made NO sense in the context of her character. Highly educated FBI agent , with a white partner for work, with a white grand father, etc that she is also a bigot. On one hand sure people are multi layered , but on the other hand in a game full of great writing and complexity to out of left field throw in her saying that felt so out of place and character and did not need to exist.

Seems completely unnecessary

Also imagine if they kept Saga white and somehow she had the same line but replaced "white asshole" with any other race.

The game would prob get pulled off shelves, the MC score would drop to zero, Remedy's stock would plummet and Sam Lake would wind up "voluntarily" leaving the company.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nothing ominous about this ... right guys? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

w9lb5NQ.jpg

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Well well well, that was quite the sequence with Alan, insane and absurd aren't adequate enough words, I mean that as a compliment 😂😂😂

GrayChild

You're not implying they are pushing their agenda. Right, onii-chan?

VK0Wmib.jpg

GsJfz6P.png

cHOs2Kc.png

Elysium44

Banned
Seems completely unnecessary

Also imagine if they kept Saga white and somehow she had the same line but replaced "white asshole" with any other race.

The game would prob get pulled off shelves, the MC score would drop to zero, Remedy's stock would plummet and Sam Lake would wind up "voluntarily" leaving the company.

It is unfortunate most white people are so passive and cucked that the game is allowed to get away with it. Nobody should be okay with racism. And I realise the person who wrote the line is a white person, nobody hates white people quite like white leftists do.

J3nga

So my choice to boycott them should be put aside because they are the publisher?
I'm not telling you to boycott or not to boycott, if you want to skip the game because you have to run it via y launcher instead of x launcher then it's your choice. All I'm saying here is that most of the time people boycott it because of the scummy practices which isn't applicable here. Also in my opinion it's a missed opportunity for EPIC attracting more players to the game they sponsored by limiting acquiring options as Alan Wake isn't that big of a franchise but it'll be their mistake if the game fails to meet sales numbers.

Arsic

Just decided to get this on PC,do I have to play the first one?
I would watch an easy recap video. Granted the game is only about 10 hours long if you wanted to run through it. The story is absolutely necessary.

Your bigger issue is if you didn’t play Control because Control and the Alan Wake DLC is leading straight into this, and the further you go the more you will be completely unaware of what’s going on for the overall story being told without it.

M1987

I would watch an easy recap video. Granted the game is only about 10 hours long if you wanted to run through it. The story is absolutely necessary.

Your bigger issue is if you didn’t play Control because Control and the Alan Wake DLC is leading straight into this, and the further you go the more you will be completely unaware of what’s going on for the overall story being told without it.
I'm actually playing Control now,so I'll probably just finish that before I start this

iorek21

Any performance tips for a 3080ti?

Kinda struggling to get 60fps even with RT off. Wanted to have some RT but it just falls to 30.

GudOlRub

Quantum Break and Max Payne supposedly are not part of the Remedy-verse correct? So all this Saga Anderson controversy is a non-issue to begin with since she's not even the same character lore wise.
And the title character is indeed still white and a man the last time I checked, what a silly thing to be angry about.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Let it go.

The original Saga appeared for all but a few seconds in an easter egg, years before Alan Wake 2 was conceptualized as a game.

Just "letting it go" is part of the problem, much like that Insomniac guy and his "I dont care" line about the MJ sidequests

It's good to see people waking up and pointing this crap out and being irked by it. Unfortunately we all feed into the problem since we all bought the fucking thing lol

DeaDPo0L84

Racism against white people is okay because cultural elites do not consider it racism since only white people can actually be racist. it makes sense if you don't think about it.

Arsic

Yeah what stood out to me was Saga giving wrong intonations all the time. Clearly the actor didn't get good direction or the director was missing context as well.

Still mad about this, the original actress is way hotter.
You can still go jerk off to images of her online. You’ll be fine.

proandrad

Just "letting it go" is part of the problem, much like that Insomniac guy and his "I dont care" line about the MJ sidequests

It's good to see people waking up and pointing this crap out and being irked by it. Unfortunately we all feed into the problem since we all bought the fucking thing lol

If everyone bought it and the game is good then it isn’t an issue. Pushing ideals or principles in a game is only bad if the game is sucks because it means the developers should have been more focused on making a good game.

I am really enjoying my 14 hours so far of Alan Wake 2 on PC and it is a strong contender for my game of the year.

However, one issue that stuck out to me while playing and especially getting lost in the forest as Saga Anderson is the lack of interactive foliage physics when she walks through grass, bushes and small thin branches. I am not sure if this is a bug on my system or just an oversight on the part of the developers but it stands out like a sore thumb only because of the insane amount of detail elsewhere. I thought I saw the grass reacting to Saga's movement in the first part of the game but given that the camera is so close and tight I am now thinking that I may have just imagined it...

Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

Doom85

Let it go.

The original Saga appeared for all but a few seconds in an easter egg, years before Alan Wake 2 was conceptualized as a game.

Also, wouldn’t QB be an alternate universe since the rights issues don’t allow it to be fully connected with the rest of Remedy’s games? So the character being different makes sense.

If an alternate universe Loki can be an alligator of all things, this should be a non-issue for any sane person.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Your probably doing a lot of side stuff/ getting collectables.

How long to beat has the game at 14 and half hours for just the main story and 30 hours for a 100% playthrough.
14 hours sounds impossible to me.
Do people just straight line missions without opening any caches?!
I am not even opening EVERY cache. maybe 80%....

and cmon. You are not playing Alan Wake 2 if you don't take a slow walk through Bright falls at night and stop by oh deer diner to listen to some music

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
3GB update on Xbox today, PS5 and PC got this update over the weekend, promises some bug fixes. Let's see if it fixes the audio issues I've run into here and there.

MCplayer

The race change thing didn’t bug me at all. The character was barely finalized, and Saga was great start to finish minus that one totally unnecessary line
you know when people start complaining about people of color is because people of color bothers them or they have certain expectations about them for some reason, I played this and not for a single moment I wondered about it lmao, just play the game and enjoy the story its telling.
Imagine what they would say about the movie Gran Turismo or Lewis Halmiton movie, both being successful at what they do and they both have a "white" mother just like Saga Anderson.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The race swapping fortunately is easily swallowable to me because of the batshit nature of the story. Alternate universes, alternate realities, characters that were someone else in another timeline. It’s all there and it works.

And she’s just a cool character anyway.

Macaron

Banned
Since when is racism political? It's simply wrong, doesn't matter what your political beliefs are.
I am white. I am most definitely not a liberal. I will still happily tell you white people are annoying af.

Some of you need to get a life. Its one line in a videogame. Children aren't being indoctrinated to certain political ideologies by one line in a videogame.

Now I wait for the brain damaged moderators to warn me for "baiting racism/homophobia/etc" like they did when I had to say the same thing about weird ppl saying gay people in Spiderman was political.

Sleepwalker

The race swapping fortunately is easily swallowable to me because of the batshit nature of the story. Alternate universes, alternate realities, characters that were someone else in another timeline. It’s all there and it works.

And she’s just a cool character anyway.
Alan is literally writing her story, he wrote that a corpse without heart would wake up and attack her, but somehow her being black is where people draw the line lol

Also please dont spoil me or correct what I said im like 90 minutes in lmao

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yep.

She is awsome and this is how you introduce a female protaganist to an already existing franchise.

This is a low key lara croft moment in gaming but people are not aware of it yet.

So you're saying you'd want Saga's mindbending, breakdown powers of deduction and case solving teaming up Jesse Faden and her concrete chucking capabilities in Control 2?

Fuck me up fam

Luipadre

I love what they did with control and aw being in the same universe. Amazing stuff, makes me want to replay control for the 3rd time

Top Bottom