• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I love what they did with control and aw being in the same universe. Amazing stuff, makes me want to replay control for the 3rd time

Quantum didn't shy away from it either. Say what you will about the easter eggs and shit being too early on before anyone would know AW2 would exist (or maybe even Control as well?)

tn3UuZ4.jpg

...But seeing this will always be a big wtf whenever I play it.

DeaDPo0L84

I am white. I am most definitely not a liberal. I will still happily tell you white people are annoying af.

Some of you need to get a life. Its one line in a videogame. Children aren't being indoctrinated to certain political ideologies by one line in a videogame.

Now I wait for the brain damaged moderators to warn me for "baiting racism/homophobia/etc" like they did when I had to say the same thing about weird ppl saying gay people in Spiderman was political.
Lets not derail this thread any further, but you are jumping to a lot of conclusions, none that were even mentioned in anyone's post discussing the line in question.

Macaron

Banned
Lets not derail this thread any further, but you are jumping to a lot of conclusions, none that were even mentioned in anyone's post discussing the line in question.
Exactly what conclusion did I jump to? Did you not see the entire page of outrage over the "white asshole" line? Lmfao

You can still go jerk off to images of her online. You’ll be fine.

Because liking attractive and interesting women instantly means "jerking off". The main problem with Saga is not even her looks, it's her being boring af.

I am white. I am most definitely not a liberal. I will still happily tell you white people are annoying af.

actual racism btw

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
Because liking attractive and interesting women instantly means "jerking off". The main problem with Saga is not even her looks, it's her being boring af.

actual racism btw
Maybe to your perspective. If I, a white person, half seriously but also in jest talk about how annoying white people are, and you cry racism, my perspective is good lord are you sensitive AND you're proving my point :)

marjo

I'm grinning from ear to ear. My favorite part was Alan's dry delivery of "Didn't see that coming."

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished it. 8.5...maybe 8. and I was giving it a 10 for first few hours.
The game is super popular and I am a huge AW fan... so my opinion will get a lot of hate here. Despite me telling to my wife yesterday "this game is amazing". And I do think so. But some things drag it down.
The ending sucked ass unfortunately.
For a sequel that 25 hours long, 13 years after the original game...
The game is beautiful aside from some Image Quality and performance downsides on ps5 too.

My non spoilery random thoughts. Good and bad things:
-loved visual design and especially audio design. Rain, wind, music. Amazing.
-I applaud Remedy for doing something different and original.
-Incredible atmosphere. Visiting the diner outside of main quest is so good.
-Liked the characters. Saga is a bit of a nothing burger but I grew to like her well enough.
-I somehow didn't mind all the detective board stuff. Outside of sorting collectibles there. It takes too long sometimes but it was something different.
-You spend way way way way too much time listening to head voices when profiling people and wake reading pages. it must total to like 4 hours or something.
-Shooting felt good but I wish there was a bit more combat? I never thought I would say that. No idea why you have 2 shotgun and a hunting rifle. It's the same weapon.
-Inventory system didn't need to be there at all. It adds clutter and takes your time. You still end up with more than enough of everything +10x that in shoebox.
-Poor controller aiming. Acceleration galore.
-All the needless areas to explore after beating the area boss are just needless. I ended up wasting way too much time for nothing.
-I mean... I love that you have some freedom to explore but it would be enough for me to just be able to run through this nice area and maybe keep an eye out for a thermos. but as they did it, I felt the need to comb the area deeper than I clean me teeth. Some areas grew tiresome.
-Nursing rhymes and charms are the most useless thing ever. I am not doing a single one if I ever replay this game. How could one even use the "yeah you don't die once" charm.. I had like 10 of these.
-Cult stashes are fine. At least the ones with a puzzle. The ones with a key hidden in the 2nd end of the area are bad.
-Lunch boxes are bad too. Thermoses were just collectibles but lunch boxes are weapon upgrades. So you have to explore this fucking forest for 2 hours.
-Lol Saga actually says something among the lines "these fucking white people are doing this to me again".. seriously? That got me out of the moment.
-It's starts amusingly with Sam Lake being Casey but by the end you are kinda sick of his self fanboism in every scene possible. Good for him I guess.
-Same with Finland.. ok I get it, Remedy is finnish but christ. Just place the game in Finland. This is a bit obnoxious.
-And how many Jump scare loud bright screen can there be?! All the time apparently. Especially with that old lady mission. I am playing at night with headphones and it's just annoying. I am feeling the scary atmosphere and then this idiotic thing ruins it.

So yeah... that's a lot of complaints. I think the game is still fantastic but I kinda got the same issue as FF 16. It got a bit too big with a bit too much bloat not related to main game in any way.
But you only realize that after you wasted hours and hours doing chores. Like side quests in ff16 (maybe next one will be important... and then the game is 50 hours).

Now about the ending
Big effing deal. ITS A SPIRAL !!! Lol whatever man....
13 years and nothing is resolved. Alan still in the dark place. Alice apparently too. It was never explained how Alan got all the "up to date" news on Alice in the dark place. Turns out it was just that and not dark place playing tricks on him. Makes no sense.
FBC made Alice remember everything so she jumped into dark place somehow.
Ahti is again the best character in the game... and he is from control.
Saga and Casey are stuck in the dark place. Logan never picked up the phone. Clear DLC bait playing as Casey.
Clearly MR DOOR dlc bait.
Nothing on Barry aside from few mentions and notes. Shame.
The musical mission was amazing.

SCB3

On to Chapter 3 part 2, Cadera St Station and I can see where people were coming from talking about how well it uses some very unique mechanics

Also, if you are not already, do yourselves a favor and play with some good headphones, I use the PS5 Pulse ones, the sound design is fantastic and the best use of that "3D Sound" that Sony Advertise

This is the coolest use of a “multiverse” (christ I hate that fucking term) I have ever seen. The way everything is tied in to each other is just on a whole other level of style and depth you just don’t see nowadays in games period. It’s not big brained or anything, but it works, especially if you’re familiar with Remedys work. I just can’t believe they made it all fit together. It’s a crazy, incredible fucking accomplishment.

My brains gears can only turn so much thinking about how they’ll potentially connect everything to those Max Payne remakes.
Also, I'm pretty sure that if Remedy was the sole owner of the Max Payne IP, they would've integrated him, too. Alex Casey is as close as you can get without getting sued; a cop, likeness of Sam Lake, voice by James McCaffrey.

Especially when Casey wears the leather jacket and tie and in the New York levels.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Also, I'm pretty sure that if Remedy was the sole owner of the Max Payne IP, they would've integrated him, too. Alex Casey is as close as you can get without getting sued; a cop, likeness of Sam Lake, voice by James McCaffrey.

Especially when Casey wears the leather jacket and tie and in the New York levels.

Yeah it’s some serious meta on meta on meta type shit and they pulled it off. Alex Casey IS Max Payne.

The whole chapter in the subway I’m just lookin around seeing what assets they’ll probably bring over to the remakes.

Lokaum D+

How often does this game autosave? ? cause it feels that everytime i reload the game i lost at least 15 minutes of gameplay.

Filben

Any performance tips for a 3080ti?
Set post processing to low. This is a if not the most fps killer in the game apart from RT. Try DLSS balanced. The jump from quality to balanced isn't that huge in visual difference.

If you still don't achieve 60fps (which you probably should by now because I'm playing with path tracing at 30fps with a 3080), try using the "medium" graphics preset. Some higher settings reduce noise and grain that might be okay for you when wanting to achieve 60fps.

How often does this game autosave? ? cause it feels that everytime i reload the game i lost at least 15 minutes of gameplay.
Only if you make progress. Watch out for the "game saved" prompt at the top right of the screen. Check also the "load game" screen; there it tells you when it saved the game the last time.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Im at the first boss fight and its really annoying, keep running out of ammo and the fat cunt wont die. And yeah I have the shotgun

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im at the first boss fight and its really annoying, keep running out of ammo and the fat cunt wont die. And yeah I have the shotgun
Yeah for some reason the first boss feel like it refuses to die, to the point I felt like I'm not suppose to kill him or something.

Later bosses are much better.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Im at the first boss fight and it’s really annoying, keep running out of ammo and the fat cunt wont die. And yeah I have the shotgun
Git Gud scrub. On hard mode I think it took all of 4-6 shotgun shots to the head.

Sleepwalker

Yeah for some reason the first boss feel like it refuses to die, to the point I felt like I'm not suppose to kill him or something.

Later bosses are much better.

I even got confused because Saga at some point says "I gotts get out of here" so I thought maybe im supposed to escape him haha

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Im on hard mode but I only have 2 shotgun shells how did you get more lol

Think the arena start with a cooler in the north east corner of where he spawns in the water ? Shotty to the dome twice causes him to disappear and the darkness to start damaging you if you don’t run. So pop him twice, run to cooler , go to next area.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Think I missed the Alan Shotgun, I'm like 8 hours in and don't have it.

It's in Initiation 5: Room 665

Before you get inside Oceanview Hotel, there's a bar where you can steal the light to reveal it.

I am not 100% sure if you can go back there after the fact.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Finished Saga chapter 6.

Kinda figured the Scratch-is-Wake twist the first time Saga starts seeing the visions of Alan even though he's supposed to be out of the Dark Place.

Still, a very effective and brutal scene with Jaako in the jail cell.

Because liking attractive and interesting women instantly means "jerking off". The main problem with Saga is not even her looks, it's her being boring af...
no shit! hell, i don't even particularly like this version of alan wake. meaning, despite the fact that alex casey is utterly single-note & useless, he's effortlessly managing to steal every scene he's in simply by being his somewhat off-kilter self...

same. i recently reached an 'end of part', waited for the next scene to begin, then quit, & when i hit 'continue', i was back before the 'end of part'? really poorly handled. not sure why...

Danjin44

I just experienced weird bug in this game. I wanted switch from Saga to Alan but when I switched I was in Dark place but as Saga...after that I reload my save to try again it got fixed.

It's in Initiation 5: Room 665

I am not 100% sure if you can go back there after the fact.
You can! This game is great with backtracking.

I'm about 2/3 through and I am still highly enjoying it. It's the first game where I go out of my way to exhaust every bit of dialogue. I don't even think the writing is exceptional, but the atmosphere for this game is legendary. You just want to interact with every part of it

Combat is perfectly adequate, especially for this type of game. I do wish there was crafting, more enemy variety, and dismemberment. Also, the bloody wolves in this game suck so hard. Shitty fucking animations that make it incredibly difficult to shoot. And on hard mode it takes 2 shotgun blasts plus a couple pistol rounds to kill them. Absolutely absurd

I'm currently at a 9/10. One of the most unique gaming experiences for sure. Great slow burn

adamsapple

I seem to have run into a game breaking bug and it's really bumming me out.

Saga chapter, Return 6;: Scratch.

I have done the boss fight, Estevez gave me the cell key, I have exhausted all available profiling and board options but the objective is not progressing from "come up with a plan". There is nothing left for me to attach to the board, or any profiling left. But Estevez or Casey aren't giving me any new info.

Really bummed out about this.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I seem to have run into a game breaking bug and it's really bumming me out.

Saga chapter, Return 6;: Scratch.

I have done the boss fight, Estevez gave me the cell key, I have exhausted all available profiling and board options but the objective is not progressing from "come up with a plan". There is nothing left for me to attach to the board, or any profiling left. But Estevez or Casey aren't giving me any new info.

Really bummed out about this.
The game is little buggy, no where near as bad as CP2077 when it first came but its rough around edges.

I like the I posted above, when try to switch to Alan but I was still playing as Saga even tho I was in Dark place.

I hope iron out the game when they release NG+.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is a really well made game. I’m back to Saga missions. The pacing has been ok. Sometimes the immersion breaks and I think it’s because I’m too busy pinning evidence on the wall. It’s good in pieces.

Ivan

That whole Sam Lake and his face thing got really old and tired a long time ago... He's cool, Max Payne is cool, but this is way too much of that, like giving him some LEGENDARY status all the time. It's out of place and boring .

Last edited:
Maybe to your perspective. If I, a white person, half seriously but also in jest talk about how annoying white people are, and you cry racism, my perspective is good lord are you sensitive AND you're proving my point :)
I am not crying, just calling you a hypocrite. You like calling everyone out as sensitive snowflakes but on the other hand YOU get offended by a whole race using blanket statements. Complete nonsense. Where did whitey touch you?

The game is not that scary but the atmosphere is top tier. The graphics even in 60fps mode are so good.

I'm gaming with headphones and the audio is just fantastic. The sounds of the Taken in the shadows, wind blowing and the rustle of the FBI jacket. Good stuff.

The first boss made me a bit nervous.

The subway with it's Max Payne references are so cool and take me way back

Last edited:
Top Bottom