• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce wants to address the situational "kid disability" problem a lot of players have.

FireFly

I don’t think anyone’s arguing about whether or not it’s terminology that’s actually used. It’s just the ridiculousness of using that word for a context like that. It just smacks of the fashionableness now of using words like ‘disability’ or ‘vulnerable’ or the like. It’s just lame and peeps are rightfully making fun of it.
It would be like using the term "blacklist" to describe the removal of a particular feature, in front of a black person and having them get offended. (Or someone get offended on their behalf).

It's not a problem if you're capable of understanding that the meaning of the original phrase doesn't change, just because it's used in a different context.

Not being able to use benign technical terms just because someone might get offended feels like word policing.

MonkD

Crypto Meme GIF by Crypto GIFs & Memes ::: Crypto Marketing

Majormaxxx

No free time disability due to long work hours?

Or no energy for gaming disability due to being a stay at home mom who has been looking after her house, kids and remote job all day?

Or no money for gaming disability due to not working because of health or mental health issues?

Come one, Alanah, we know you lurk here hehe

Well, you know, you could play when the kids is sleeping or not play online games at those times while attending to the kid. As a last resort, you could not play at all but I think Alanah can't think that far with her own "situational disability".

Dr.Morris79

What the fuck is up with this thread? Or with people in general.

She is 100% right. And this is not even about her, this is common sense. But some fuckers on here are just so eager to jump on witch hunts and talk shit about people that they throw common sense out the window. PLEASE, lets not be like that other site.

For those that want to learn...

Lets start with the word disability

From google: A disability is any condition of the body or mind (impairment) that makes it more difficult for the person with the condition to do certain activities (activity limitation) and interact with the world around them (participation restrictions).

then now just throw in situational before that (which in this case would also mean temporary), which a kid would fall under. So would having to get up to take a leak... hell chores you have to do.

The point of this, is simply that accessibility in game design considers these things. And as crazy as this may sound...being able to pause your game.. or anything that has a pause option for that matter, is literally there to address stuff like this. And this is something everyone has had to deal with on some level already. eg. Its why I don't play Tekken online if I am babysitting...
That's a hell of a lot of waffle to prop up people who can't differentiate between looking after children and playing computer games, or just needing a piss.

It makes zero difference to life if you can't pause a computer game.

The weirder thing is that this nonsensical, zero threat to life, is even a thing.

What's even weirder is people are putting this 'problem' anywhere near kids in the first place. If anyone is thinking this is a problem whilst your kid is in the room then you've got bigger problems.

When my own was younger he sat on my lap a few times whilst I showed him the horses in Red Dead, or we recreated our town in Minecraft. The rest of the time was teaching him to read and write.

If your playing games whilst your kid is background noise to you, you've failed. They're not a disability, you are.

Not you personally. The people bringing kids up but choosing gaming over them.

...Not that any of this shit really matters. They grow up, become a teenager, call you an asshole and nick your shit anyway 🤷‍♂️

Kings Field

I have two children, one with autism. Guess what? I don’t play games when they’re awake because I want to spend time with them. I will sacrifice my sleep at night to play when they are sleeping. Until I get to the point of either one of them wanting to play games, I won’t be playing them when I could be spending time with them.

Saying they’re a “situational disability” is a blonde bimbo take. Take responsibility and prioritize your children over your games. Pretty simple concept.

Loope

That's a hell of a lot of waffle to prop up people who can't differentiate between looking after children and playing computer games, or just needing a piss.

The weirder thing is that this nonsensical, zero threat to life, is even a thing.

What's even weirder is people are putting this 'problem' anywhere near kids in the first place. If anyone is thinking this is a problem whilst your kid is in the room then you've got bigger problems.

When my own was younger he sat on my lap a few times whilst I showed him the horses in Red Dead, or we recreated our town in Minecraft. The rest of the time was teaching him to read and write.

If your playing games whilst your kid is background noise to you, you've failed. They're not a disability, you are.

...Not that any of this shit really matters. They grow up, become a teenager, call you an asshole and nick your shit anyway 🤷‍♂️
You're right, is not that important, but it always baffled me why they didn't put the option in place in any of their games. I have a kid, of course when he calls me then it's a guaranteed death and that's alright but it wouldn't hurt to have a pause button, does it really serve any purpose no to have it?

Last edited:

WoJ

I hope anyone agreeing with her doesn't have kids.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. The concept of trying to argue gaming is more important than being a parent is asinine. And before anyone jumps in with "buT sHe dIdn'T SaY tAhrT!!!!11111"

Yes I know. It's still an asinine take devoid of reality. And shows that some people have really messed up priorities.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Having a kid can be a “situational disability” where accessibility is concerned! If you need to pause a game because your kid is running around your living room but you can’t, you’ll have trouble playing games with no pause menu. Here’s a bunch of info about it for anyone who’s genuinely interested (and not just trying to rage bait lol):
I feel like Alannah might have been not so subtley signposting here, and at 8 pages, could we argue that some people didn't fall for it..?

:p

To give my view, if a developer doesn't want to put a pause button in their game, it doesn't bother me for it to be their call.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't get... nor understand the direction people are taking this.

No one is saying kids... or having kids is a problem. No one is saying gaming is more important than kids. No one is saying having a pause option is life-altering. And the whole looking after children or taking a piss/shit/turning off the stove...etc... are just examples of things you "have" to do that would mean you put down your controller because that's the sane thing to do—common sense.

What is being said, is that in a situation, where you do have kids, who should obviously be a priority (or basically you would have to put down the controller mid-game), not having a pause option, can deter you from playing the game when the kids are around. In the same way not having a high contrast mode can make it really hard for some sight-challenged people to play.

This is not about caring or not caring, its just common sense. And anyone that says it makes zero difference if you can pause a game, should then be able to understand that if that were the case then it should be an easy addition.

And to me, I don't see anything wrong with bringing kids into this, I do believe people are taking it out of context. Here is the context for you... kids are important, they will take priority over everything else, including gaming. So all games should have a pause option because in life, especially with gamers that have kids, there will ALWAYS be that time that you have to put down the controller to attend to them. Why is this so hard to understand? The alternative, is that you simply avoid playing the game when the kids are awake.

I get that not all game types can support a pause option, and in my example, I cited MP games. But I do not see the issue in having a conversation about this. Or for kids to be used as an example for why having a pause option is necessary. Maybe its the word disability... but anyone letting that get to them, is taking this whole thing outta context.

StueyDuck

Having children now is a disability 🤣.

More proof that game Journos aren't real people and don't live in the real world. Being a parent is tough, but being an adult and not playing a video game to change your child shouldnt be considered a disability.

What a hilarious take 🤣

Last edited:

Raven117

Why would it? Where have you seen those words being thrown around like some fashion?
They are very clearly defined words, I don't even see how they could be used like it's a fashion, unless just plain used in a wrong way - but I don't see that anywhere.
I see wrong interpretations of the usage - but that's just people being stupid, nothing to blame those for who use the words according to their definitions.
I think this is willfully blind. It’s very vogue now to manufacture an issue, slap a word like that on there to get attention on the internet.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I think this is willfully blind. It’s very vogue now to manufacture an issue, slap a word like that on there to get attention on the internet.
Can you even name a single good example of that?
Because I've certainly never encountered it.

What you can encounter is people thinking (the famous self diagnose) or pretending they have some real issue for clout or as an excuse.
But that doesn't mean the issue isn't real (just that they probably don't have it).

The thing that is talked about here is actually a real issue (not really an important one, but still).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope anyone agreeing with her doesn't have kids.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. The concept of trying to argue gaming is more important than being a parent is asinine. And before anyone jumps in with "buT sHe dIdn'T SaY tAhrT!!!!11111"

Yes I know. It's still an asinine take devoid of reality. And shows that some people have really messed up priorities.
You can also tell she doesn’t have kids because she’d have more of a backbone if she did versus being some reporter of said issue.

She’s not fighting for change either. She’s saying “deal with it I’m in Game Design and this is how we work”. F*ck those people then ya know? Who cares what project you worked on.

I would tell them to f*ck off and research a better way to describe it. lol

Last edited:

CSJ

I uh, I sort of agree in some ways, others not...

I quit my job to look after my dad because he's ill and he also now has dementia. (shared responsibility with my bro)
It completely ruins any type of attempt to play any MP game or with friends. I am constantly having to afk and I just gave up pretty much.

That's just the tip of the problems, I essentially am a prisoner in my own home with no time to care for myself, I am giving everything toward home care and am worse off because of it.
The list of problems is endless, I never thought it would be this hard.

Kids vs Dementia? Kids please, so much easier.

I think I'd call this situation...hmmm maybe there's a term for it?
Hardship through responsibilities?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Never considered my kids a "disability" of any kind.

If you're more worried about a video game than what your kids are doing, your priorities are backwards.

Raven117

Can you even name a single good example of that?
Because I've certainly never encountered it.

What you can encounter is people thinking (the famous self diagnose) or pretending they have some real issue for clout or as an excuse.
But that doesn't mean the issue isn't real (just that they probably don't have it).

The thing that is talked about here is actually a real issue (not really an important one, but still).
We are close in agreeing.

I absolutely agree with what you can find.

That said, kids aren’t a disability. They can be an inconvenience while gaming.

Disability is defined in the American Disability Act. Kids aren’t listed.

Throwing the name of “disability” diminishes the real use of the word, and is an attempt to garner some sort of special consideration.

Some of you are borderline deranged, more than just pure thirst for this woman.

Digging up someone's (who's not your friend, family or even a IRL acquaintance) social media history from decades ago to do detective shit, all that to prove she lied?

What the fuck is wrong with you all? Get out of your fucking basements, hop off your mountain dews and Doritos, touch grass, hit the fucking gym and interact with real human beings once in a while.

Now I understand why youtubers/influencers don't reply or become friends with their fans/viewers.

Para-social relationships are a hell of a drug.

Klosshufvud

Having a kids can be a situational disability
Ok I think the Internet managed to reach a new level of stupidity. I never cease to be amazed what absolute morons are holding the microphone on social media. It's like inverse to actual intelligence.

We are close in agreeing.

I absolutely agree with what you can find.

Throwing the name of “disability” diminishes the real use of the word, and is an attempt to garner some sort of special consideration.

Probably trying to get it added to the accessibility options by calling it a disability. You gotta use the key terms if you want change in this DEI infested industry.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I don’t think some of you know what Amouranth makes on only fans. $10s of millions.

Alanah could easily make that much on there. So while she may be making good $ now…she could be making generational wealth lol.

She defended herself in YT comments against an actual disabled guy with “ok? I didn’t make the term.” So? Make your own. Help redefine it. It’s a dumb term. Try situational distraction? Lord.

Raven117

Probably trying to get it added to the accessibility options by calling it a disability. You gotta use the key terms if you want change in this DEI infested industry.
Yup. That’s a bit of my point.

Slap “disability” (and there are a few other magic words) on an issue, boom, get something you otherwise wouldn’t.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Nobody claimed they are.
The quote is: "Having a kid can be a “situational disability”"

Which. is. correct:
"Situational disability refers to a temporary impairment in a person’s ability to interact with technology due to their situation, context, or environment."
It's a technical term, nothing more, nothing less. A different way to say "Any kind of situation that results in a 'I can't right now'".
And it absolutely fits the situation of having kids sometimes, as probably every parent can confirm.

Words can have more than one meaning.
It's annoying, but hey, welcome to languages. I speak three, all of em do this.
If you have any complaints, blame the Brits (not that only English does that, but blame the Brits anyway, they deserve it).

The "real use" of a word is the amount of usages found in dictionaries.
People not understanding their own language doesn't make those wrong who do - it's the other way around.

More than half of this thread is people brainfarting, proudly displaying their lack of understanding their own language and their incapability to understand context.
It's a pretty dire display, but a really good example of what people mean when they say that people are getting dumber...

Last edited:
I’m more uncomfortable with how much the “burden” of raising children is played up. You decided to bring your children into this world, so don’t make it sound like some kind of incurable disease that games should accommodate for.

Raven117

Nobody claimed they are.
The quote is: "Having a kid can be a “situational disability”"

Which. is. correct:
"Situational disability refers to a temporary impairment in a person’s ability to interact with technology due to their situation, context, or environment."
It's a technical term, nothing more, nothing less. A different way to say "Any kind of situation that results in a 'I can't right now'".
And it absolutely fits the situation of having kids sometimes, as probably every parent can confirm.

Words can have more than one meaning.
It's annoying, but hey, welcome to languages. I speak three, all of em do this.
If you have any complaints, blame the Brits (not that only English does that, but blame the Brits anyway, they deserve it).

The "real use" of a word is the amount of usages found in dictionaries.
People not understanding their own language doesn't make those wrong who do - it's the other way around.

More than half of this thread is people brainfarting, proudly displaying their lack of understanding their own language and their incapability to understand context.
It's a pretty dire display, but a really good example of what people mean when they say that people are getting dumber...
You need to take a step back. You are missing the forest for the trees here.

You are accepting these “definitions” (not the strongest citations) as somehow conclusive without regard to how these terms are used and/or been manipulated or changed.

Moreover, you arrogantly claim that somehow “half the thread” doesn’t understand their own language.

I’m not defending every poster here, but one should take notice of the common usage of a term because what is language if not a common understanding?

If you can’t see that attaching charged words like “disability” (even if it’s “situational” disability) to everyday inconveniences in an effort to garner more attention or accommodation, I don’t know what to tell you.

There is a reason the terms are “defined” as “situational disabilities” and not “inconveniences” or distractions. I’m sure you are smart enough to know why.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Man what about the adult disability us kids who grew up with Xbox Live and PSN had to deal with?

‘Pause your game it’s tea time’ - every night despite explaining every night that you can’t pause other people.

near

Gold Member

The term is being used from an accessibility design perspective. The devs would consider it a situational disability at the end user level. The confusion people seem to be having with this is that they’re assuming the devs consider having or attending to children a situational disability, but that is just simply not the case. It is not a situational disability for the end user to attend to there children, but it is a situational disability from a design perspective and is either accounted for or not in accessibility features.

If you’re offended with how the word disability is being used here, the Oxford dictionary might help:

“A physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities; (as a mass noun) the fact or state of having such a condition.”

The limitation in interaction with the game from the end user is what is being considered the disability from an accessibility development standpoint.

The use of the word here outside its normal context or semantic representation is what’s throwing people off. I get that, but they’re also not wrong for using it this way.

Top Bottom