• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce wants to address the situational "kid disability" problem a lot of players have.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
When I heard that line.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF
That was my reaction when I saw those fun bags the first time.

And the second time.

And the third.

And everytime.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A time constraint isn't a disability, it's the semantics that are tripping this up.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The problem of having to adapt your gaming to only ones that pause when your kids are very young is definitely a real thing, I know from experience. I didn't play returnal when it launched because I heard that you couldn't suspend/resume. There were a few years where I couldn't play online games due to it. That said to describe it in any way as a disability seems strange.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wish she was. She posted a blog link on twitter that goes into detail. It actually makes sense.....until it doesn't.

What are Situational Disabilities?​

Situational disabilities are temporary and based on a specific set of circumstances. Examples include broken limbs, environments that inhibit the senses (e.g., a loud music venue), and surgery recovery.

If we are talking about a situational disability as in recovering from surgery or a broken limb then yes, it makes sense. But a loud music venue? What idiot puts being in a bar or at a concert alongside recovering from surgery? And at this point, "situational disability" becomes a phrase that is far too broad for people to know what is being referred to. Should not shock anyone that all of this falls under the heading of "inclusivity" in order to "elevate your company's image".

"Consumers now expect organizations to promote inclusivity, so embracing accessibility is also an opportunity to elevate your company’s image. "
She's retarded if she thinks having to turn off a video game to fulfill your responsibilities is a disability. Unless a kid comes packed in the case with your game disc the developers have no responsibility to cater to your needs as a parent.

Mossybrew

Having to shit mid game is a situation disability.
For real. Or sometimes you need to grab another beer, piss, then hey there's an amazon package, and you come back and you're dead (or disconnected) because a fucking single player campaign couldn't pause (I'm looking at you Destiny 2). Aside from the whole kid/disability angle yeah not being able to pause a single player experience is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

bumpkin

I think if she has just labeled it a “hindrance” people wouldn’t be taking exception.

But yeah, this is a thing. As the married guy with no kids, I almost never get to play stuff online with my buddies with kids because they don’t want their young kids watching them play stuff like Gears 5. It’s kind of obnoxious.

But hey, I get it. I’m living in a vacuum because i didn’t procreate which means i get all my free time to do what i want. It’s pretty sweet.

MacReady13

Ok what about when my child needs to pause the game when he needs a piss or shit.

Should he just die and lose all his progress or sit there, shit himself and carry on.
What you do in that situation is, you tell your kids that it is JUST A GAME AND GO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO! When my kids are online playing Fortnite with their friends and it's dinner time, we don't sit and wait 10 minutes for them to finish. They tell their friends they have to go and they turn off their PS5! Granted, that isn't a single player game they are stopping but the point still stands- the game will be fine if you stop/die/turn it off. You can ALWAYS return and try again! And your kids will get over the death in the game!

Kssio_Aug

What you do in that situation is, you tell your kids that it is JUST A GAME AND GO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO! When my kids are online playing Fortnite with their friends and it's dinner time, we don't sit and wait 10 minutes for them to finish. They tell their friends they have to go and they turn off their PS5! Granted, that isn't a single player game they are stopping but the point still stands- the game will be fine if you stop/die/turn it off. You can ALWAYS return and try again! And your kids will get over the death in the game!
Obviously every parent will tell their kids to go to the bathroom whenever they need, that's not the point at all. The issue is, WHY they should be punished in-game, playing single player, just because they needed to use the bathroom.

A pause button on a single player experience is such a basic feature that the lack of implementation is stupid and lazy.

Last edited:

MacReady13

A pause button on a single player experience is such a basic feature that the lack of implementation is stupid and lazy.
No issues there, but a disability? Really?!? Some games don't have it. It isn't the end of the world and it most certainly is NOT a disability! Some gamers just want to feel aggrieved over everything!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wow. What the fuck!? Hahahaha.... we have extracted something valuable from this thread!
Dobermans going at it luchador style!
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is like "Can you fucking keep it down! I'm trying to hit post, over here, for Christ' sake!"
Plus I didn't mention how my rescue Chihuahua does in fact yell at them when they get too rowdy and he makes them settle down as the Dobies are terrified of the pissed off 10 lbs dog

Schmendrick said:
AnjmjPm.jpg

Cyberpunkd

The problem of having to adapt your gaming to only ones that pause when your kids are very young is definitely a real thing, I know from experience. I didn't play returnal when it launched because I heard that you couldn't suspend/resume. There were a few years where I couldn't play online games due to it. That said to describe it in any way as a disability seems strange.
It’s not a “problem”, the same way it’s not a “disability”, this is the crux of the discussion. She is incredibly patronising to people that have lived way longer than she did and live more complex lives . It comes out as incredibly tone dead, which her ex-colleague already pointed out.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
how many prefer her before the surgery and implants?

0uwavrs0iks71.png
I miss the much-needed fake tits, but I like the big stupid nose. I would clamp that schnozz twixt my chompers and she wouldn't be able to get away from my hot, Cool Ranch Dorito, gamer breath... and I'd pinch her cheeks and taunt, "who's my little chipmunk?" in my finest Aussie accent, which would of course be considerably improved by the fact that my jaw is locked in place with my teeth locked onto her nose.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Having a child isn’t a disability, but it does mean that your priorities shift. She looks at as a negative when she should plan to change her schedule around to accommodate the choices she made.

Arachnid

I mean, the argument is a bit much, but I agree that games should let you pause lmao. Obviously not multiplayer games, but any other game should give you the option to pause at any given time.

midnightAI

Disability doesn't even make sense, because there is nothing stopping parents from ignoring their kids so they can play games.

If there is any -ility parents are subjected to, it's responsibility and accountability.
The real question is, why isn't the game the 'situational disability'? that is what is stopping you being a good parent (potentially).

I do agree that the word 'disability' is certainly not the word I would use. She even quoted a picture that showed someone with an injured arm as a 'temporary disability' which I also disagree with (even if technically correct).

Top Bottom