• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana said:
I went through Alice 1 today, and just started on this one a little bit ago. Being fresh off of the first one, the difference is staggering. It controls so much better, the combat is better, and it's so much prettier. So colorful. I want to keep playing just to see what the next area will look like!

Yup. I tried to play the first Alice in downloadable form after playing a bit of Madness Returns and it is just insane how poorly the first game has aged, especially when put in the context of how this game is. The controls/platforming physics are so massively improved it's nuts.

I can't believe the first game got 89% average critic rating compared to this games pitiable ratings.

Which is why, as I always say, screw all critics everywhere.

Amir0x said:
Yup. I tried to play the first Alice in downloadable form after playing a bit of Madness Returns and it is just insane how poorly the first game has aged, especially when put in the context of how this game is. The controls/platforming physics are so massively improved it's nuts.

I can't believe the first game got 89% average critic rating compared to this games pitiable ratings.

Just because it aged poorly, doesn't mean it wasn't good at the time.

Judgements of quality are relative to conditions and time in which they are made. In no sense is quality a kind of seal of eternity or something.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeitgeister said:

Judgements of quality are relative to conditions and time in which they are made. In no sense is quality a kind of seal of eternity or something.

I always thought it was mediocre. I am just surprised HOW mediocre it is in context.

I don't think Alice was good even in the time it was made. Because there were 3D platformers at the time and most of them were vastly superior.

It's just my opinion but I definitely think like with this game, critics just missed the mark wide.

Amir0x said:
I always thought it was mediocre. I am just surprised HOW mediocre it is in context.

I don't think Alice was good even in the time it was made. Because there were 3D platformers at the time and most of them were vastly superior.

It's just my opinion but I definitely think like with this game, critics just missed the mark wide.

Superior 3D platformers around 2000? Aside from the blueprint of Mario 64 and its ilk, I do not believe that there were that many highly competent platformers or at least charming / inventive ones at that time.
For every good example there is a bubsy or earthworm jim 3D bad (ymmv a bit) example, as not too many established franchises survived the 2d- 3d transfer. Certainly not in the platformer and adventure genre.

At least, that's my experience and memory of that time. I also remember the platforming in Alice being overly hard at times, but the scenery of the game could not be found anywhere else. (maybe FAKK2, as that had a disintegrating level as well)

I understand your point and all, but it don't think the critics were wrong on this with the experience and information they had at the time.

Well that was an ending....jesus christ

ending spoilers

Shitty final boss though.

Some chapters went on for faaaaaar too long but still one of, if not my favorite games of this year.

Buy this motherfuckers

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I said way earlier in the thread that I couldn't figure out why that Radula Room was the most difficult (and fun!) combat in the game, but in retrospect it comes down to Teapot Cannon availability.

Railer

Bought this game after watching the GB Quick Look. Never played the first Alice game and wasn't very hyped about this one before that quick look either.

Finished chapter 1 now and man, this game is awesome so far. So happy that i picked it up. The platforming is really nice, and the combat is actually enjoyable so far.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Zeitgeister said:

Overall it has always been a good game as far as I'm concerned, but the controls and combat was clunky even back then. I kinda suspect using the Quake III engine was at least part of the problem, since the engine wasn't really designed with platform games in mind, I guess.

Zeliard

Combichristoffersen said:
Overall it has always been a good game as far as I'm concerned, but the controls and combat was clunky even back then. I kinda suspect using the Quake III engine was at least part of the problem, since the engine wasn't really designed with platform games in mind, I guess.

Alice 1 was a third-person platformer designed around mouse and keyboard. So it was built on a somewhat shaky foundation.

Combichristoffersen

plagiarize said:
not that it will help you with your trophy whoring, but you should really look into hooking your PC up to your TV.

i ran a 50 foot hdmi cable from my PC to my TV, and i use a wireless 360 remote with it.

i played all of Alice on my couch, on my 3D HDTV, in 3D.

but yeah, i didn't get any trophies, and i won't look badly on anyone that bought this twice.

Problem is, I'm using an old SDTV for my PS3, so there's no HDMI input on it where I can connect the PC.

And I'm this close to buying that Vorpal Blade replica. You hear me EA and McGee? Now go make me a sammich Alice 3

Aeana

Zeliard said:
Alice 1 was a third-person platformer designed around mouse and keyboard. So it was built on a somewhat shaky foundation.
More specifically, Alice 1 actually feels like an FPS game with a ragdoll character sitting out in front of the camera. Or, I guess just like the third-person mode in Deus Ex.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:

Knux-Future said:
but still one of, if not my favorite games of this year.

Buy this motherfuckers

Yeah, it's the surprise of the year.

But I can't blame any fellow gaffers for not buying it or even clicking on this thread to read the impressions and the gaffers reviews in this thread ( even with the title change) ,since..well let face it, many still care too much about review scores and Metacritic rating ( just see how many go to our monthly Magazine -GI,Edge..ect- reviews threads ) and the so called "professionals reviewers " destroyed this game completely because it's not 360/CoD-ish enough, and like what Amirox said many missed the mark.

These "professionals reviewers" and instead of fighting the good fight for the gaming industry and for the gamers and encourage games that bring back the magic of the old days and the mature 3D platforming they attacked Alice 2 for being less cinematic and less scripted, for being less casual and more challenging experience and for being "long" and faithful 3D platformers.

TheOddOne

Totobeni said:
Yeah, it's the surprise of the year.

But I can't blame any fellow gaffers for not buying it or even clicking on this thread to read the impressions and the gaffers reviews in this thread ( even with the title change) ,since..well let face it, many still care too much about review scores and Metacritic rating ( just see how many go to our monthly Magazine -GI,Edge..ect- reviews threads ) and the so called "professionals reviewers " destroyed this game completely because it's not 360/CoD-ish enough, and like what Amirox said many missed the mark.

These "professionals reviewers" and instead of fighting the good fight for the gaming industry and for the gamers and encourage games that bring back the magic of the old days and the mature 3D platforming they attacked Alice 2 for being less cinematic and less scripted, for being less casual and more challenging experience and for being "long" and faithful 3D platformers.
Could you explain to me what you mean by not 360 enough? I don't know if your trying to belittle a group by saying that they do not buy this because it doesn't look like a certain populair game. I mean that argument is bizar, look at the sales charts, they buy all kinds of games.

Yeah I must admit that I'm usually the last person to do the "lol game journalists amirite" thing when a game I like reviews poorly but in this case I think it's pretty fair to ask a few tough questions about this one. The reviews read like a totally different game to the one which I've been playing.

It's certainly challenging in parts, and the narrative is maddeningly (and deliberately) obtuse, but that's in part why I'm enjoying it so much.

TheOddOne said:
Could you explain to me what you mean by not 360 enough? I don't know if your trying to belittle a group by saying that they do not buy this because it doesn't look like a certain populair game. I mean that argument is bizar, look at the sales charts, they buy all kinds of games.

Do you honestly believe that a gamer who buys COD and Madden every year is going to buy a game where they play as a female protagonist in a dark cartoon fantasy world? Of course that doesn't describe the whole 360 audience but it was pretty clear what he meant.

Just finished it, totally amazing game. I was surprised equally at how long it was, and how much I ended up really liking the story. The writing was a lot better than what you find in most games, I don't recall any horrible dialogue or bad storytelling, so that was a plus. Also loved the ending.

I had it rented from Gamefly, but I liked it so much that I'm going to buy it. I feel like I want to support the game and the dev team, and I want to replay it and collect everything, get all the trophies.

Awesome stuff.

eshwaaz

Totobeni said:
the so called "professionals reviewers " destroyed this game completely because it's not 360/CoD-ish enough, and like what Amirox said many missed the mark.
Why are you referencing the 360 specifically here when the CoD franchise is popular on multiple platforms?

Carnby

I was very unimpressed with chapter 1. But now I am in Chapter 3, and the game gets better and better. The combat grows, and the platforming gets even more creative.

So far I would say that 7/10 is a fair score. But 7/10 is not a bad score at all. I would say this game is better than average, but it's not a "AAA game."

I am surprised at how poorly mixed the audio is during the 2D cut scenes. That's a shame.

Zeitgeister said:
Superior 3D platformers around 2000? Aside from the blueprint of Mario 64 and its ilk, I do not believe that there were that many highly competent platformers or at least charming / inventive ones at that time.
For every good example there is a bubsy or earthworm jim 3D bad (ymmv a bit) example, as not too many established franchises survived the 2d- 3d transfer. Certainly not in the platformer and adventure genre.

At least, that's my experience and memory of that time. I also remember the platforming in Alice being overly hard at times, but the scenery of the game could not be found anywhere else. (maybe FAKK2, as that had a disintegrating level as well)

I understand your point and all, but it don't think the critics were wrong on this with the experience and information they had at the time.

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/57.html

Cheska

To be completely honest I'm surprised by how many people are giving this game a shot. Most people will come along, word of mouth will make it's way around, and then people will start feeling dumb for not trying this game sooner.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheOddOne said:

eshwaaz said:
Why are you referencing the 360 specifically here when the CoD franchise is popular on multiple platforms?

Sorry, do not get angry over that, by 360/COD I just meant the game wasn't like most of modern "this generation" consoles games for these reviewers ,and I just used 360 because I see it as the symbol or mark of this gen.

Cheska said:
To be completely honest I'm surprised by how many people are giving this game a shot. Most people will come along, word of mouth will make it's way around, and then people will start feeling dumb for not trying this game sooner.

I hope so.

The visual aesthetics are absolutely amazing. Beautiful. Gorgeous. I picked this up on something of a whim having never played the first. I'm very pleased with the purchase. Yes, it seems a bit on the "long" side, but I'd rather have that then too short. Almost done with Chapter 3. The variety to the world themes is a treat for the eyes, so far. Can't wait to finish.

MrMephistoX

brandonh83 said:
change the thread title to something like Alice: Madness Returns |OT| THIS IS BETTER THAN WHAT YOU THINK GET IN HERE AND LOOK, STUPID

I'm definitely getting this but it's kind of interesting to note that folks will generally rush out and buy multiplayer pick up and play games day one whereas something like this will go on one's backlog back burner.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Bought this on Steam. Pumped.

I know about unlocking the framerate, is there anything else I should mess with, file-wise? Just making sure.

Combichristoffersen

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Bought this on Steam. Pumped.

I know about unlocking the framerate, is there anything else I should mess with, file-wise? Just making sure.

You can tweak one of the settings in the .ini file to give you the DLC dresses for free. Try looking further back in the thread for instructions on how to do it :)

Zeliard

Smokey said:
All of this visual talk has made me buy the game on Steam.

Shit better be good bros.

I've been playing the PC version on my Plasma. It's a damn fine-looking game.

And people weren't kidding about Alice's hair. Given how dreadful hair in particular tends to look and especially move (if it even bothers to) on video game characters, that thing is a wonder.

Combichristoffersen

Smokey said:
What do I need to do to unlock game for 60 fps?

Open the .ini file in notepad (found in something like \Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceEngine.ini). Look for a line that says MaxSmoothedFrameRate=31, remove 31 and replace with 60, save the file and exit notepad.

Smokey

blah. i have a visa pre paid card that was a gift. i don't have an address for the cc because...it is prepaid. can you not use these cards on steam? :(

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
You can tweak one of the settings in the .ini file to give you the DLC dresses for free. Try looking further back in the thread for instructions on how to do it :)

Just found it, thanks babe.

Smokey said:
What do I need to do to unlock game for 60 fps?

Go into Documents > My Games > Alice:MR > AliceGame > Config > AliceEngine.ini, then ctrl+f 'MaxSmoothedFrameRate.' Set it to 60 instead of 31.

Also for the DLC costumes, ctrl+f 'GIsSpecialPCEdition' and change FALSE to TRUE.

Oh, beaten.

Hypatia

Amir0x said:

I always thought the original was... well I think calling it 'mediocre' is being kind. It was only noticeable for it's style; the shooting was terrible on multiple levels, the platforming dull and near impossible at times and the level design really boring and linear. I figured that the bad reviews for the new one was simply reviewers catching up to the fact that the original sucked.

But hearing that you like it as much as you do... well it's back on the 'buy it as soon as possible' list now.

frequency

B-Dex said:
The vorpal blade is really nice, but that teapot looks a bit shoddy.

I pictured it being a metallic thing, the way the lid clinks around. Also, that's far too small!
But I guess it's way more practical that way. Not that I would ever use any of this expensive merchandise for anything other than display.

Except the dress. I bought that for Halloween and stuff. Carrying around a knife replica probably isn't socially appropriate though.

jim-jam bongs said:
Just finished chapter 2. The final challenge room for Paint the Rose Red absolutely kicked my arse for about an hour on hard. It was awesome.

On my first try I killed everything and after the last enemy died the game glitched out somehow and refused to continue. I sat there running around for about 30 minutes, exiting and entering menus and doing everything I could think of but nothing worked. I had to restart and do the whole thing over again and got my ass kicked about 3-4 times before I got smart and started using the bombs to stun the teapots instead of the pepper grinder.

JRW

Currently on Chapter 5 and Im kinda sad its going to end soon even tho the game has me logged @ 16 hours, All of my weapons are fully upgraded now and I must say the Teapot weapon is no joke lol.

I'm a little baffled as to why the average critic score isn't higher than it is.

Combichristoffersen

I'm so so so tempted to get the Vorpal Blade replica + stand. But what's the difference between flat rate shipping and UPS shipping? Besides the cost of shipping, obviously

jim-jam bongs said:
Just finished chapter 2. The final challenge room for Paint the Rose Red absolutely kicked my arse for about an hour on hard. It was awesome.

Glad it wasn't just me. That second wave was just insane! I just tried to keep the enemies grouped together by laying clockwork bombs. Worked out well on my third try or so.

Shit, Amir0x likes this game, that's pretty much guarantee a buy from me. When I fix my PC, I'll purchase it in the Steam store (EA finally put it on Steam right?). Also, do I need (or should I) to play through the first Alice before playing Madness Returns?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
IIRC the Radula Room there was randomly really hard, but the other ones where you kill everything are all pretty damn easy.

On Chapter 5 now. The art here is so incredibly fucked up, it's great.

Attackthebase said:
Shit, Amir0x likes this game, that's pretty much guarantee a buy from me. When I fix my PC, I'll purchase it in the Steam store (EA finally put it on Steam right?). Also, do I need (or should I) to play through the first Alice before playing Madness Returns?

Yes it's available on Steam and no you absolutely do not need to play the first game. There is a recap of the events in the first game included in the menu of Madness Returns also.

Combichristoffersen

Attackthebase said:

It's on Steam, yeah. No, you don't need to play the first Alice. Go buy Alice: Madness Returns as soon as you get your PC fixed :D

It's on Steam, yeah. No, you don't need to play the first Alice. Go buy Alice: Madness Returns as soon as you get your PC fixed :D

I think my maid simply knocked my graphic cards out of place. I simply need to put it back into place. So, when I have time and stop being lazy, it should be an easy fix. Gotta support this game. I love games with a certain sense of style! :-D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JRW said:
Currently on Chapter 5 and Im kinda sad its going to end soon even tho the game has me logged @ 16 hours, All of my weapons are fully upgraded now and I must say the Teapot weapon is no joke lol.

I'm a little baffled as to why the average critic score isn't higher than it is.

forget about it, reviewers are the industry biggest joke right now.

Just enjoy the game and laugh at stupid reviews like this one

metro.co.uk said:
Compared to the average Super Mario game, with its magic mushrooms and giant shifting game worlds, Madness Returns just doesn't seem to be trying hard enough. The level design is far too conventional, with a poor use of 3D space, and just making uglier and/or more sexualised versions of all the familiar characters gets old very quickly.

metro.co.uk said:
Cons: The platforming is extremely weak, both in design and mechanics, and the whole game is far too repetitive and predictable - not to mention long.

Score: 4/10

Top Bottom