• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Aeana

I went through Alice 1 today, and just started on this one a little bit ago. Being fresh off of the first one, the difference is staggering. It controls so much better, the combat is better, and it's so much prettier. So colorful. I want to keep playing just to see what the next area will look like!

Cheska

So is it just me or is there more slowdown in Chapter 2? I've run into quite a few glitches, and the screen has gone crazy on me about four times already.

frequency said:
Fair point. I guess I should just stop trying to understand reviewers.

Nah, keep trying (unless it drives you crazy), attempting to figure out how the reviews for this game could be so wildly off base is quite interesting.

So is it just me or is there more slowdown in Chapter 2? I've run into quite a few glitches, and the screen has gone crazy on me about four times already.

What version are you playing?

Aeana

I'm surprised that I've been able to keep PhysX on high with the default 30 FPS lock without issue on my GTX 560 Ti. I haven't tried taking the lock off yet, but something tells me that even with PhysX lower I probably wouldn't get a 100% stable 60 FPS.

EDIT: I stand corrected... as long as PhysX is on medium instead of high, I seem to get a solid 60 FPS. Rad.

burgerdog said:
You can modify an ini file to unlock the dlc dresses if you are playing the pc version.
I saw the DLC dresses and they seem to have effects tied to them? Also, if Alice's dress keeps changing with the location in the game, I think I'd rather keep that since I'm interested in seeing how they change as I go.

Yuterald

I impulse purchased this game the other day with SotD, partially due to a friends recommendation for PS3. I'm a huge platformer fan and I gotta say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I never played the original Alice so this whole scene is completely new to me. I started on Nightmare and it was pretty tough until I upgraded a few of my weapons.

The game performs fairly well, but there are some noticeable frame rate stutters/drops here and there. Not enough to detract from the game though. I am REALLY surprised how much I like the combat in this game too. Once I saw those cool steam pot enemies the game clicked more with me. A lot of the enemies have that nice crunchy feel to them, something I wasn't expecting at all.

Also, any game with a deflect mechanic is cool in my books. I also love how each enemy has its little title introduction. I always love it when games introduce enemies in a special way with name displayed and all that good stuff.

The end of Chapter 1 threw me off a bit though.
At the very end of the CH with the Hatter, it looked like the game was preparing some epic boss fight, but some scripted ceiling collapse event started and a cut scene interrupted what looked like a cool boss fight. Are there even boss fights in this game?

Yuterald said:
I impulse purchased this game the other day with SotD, partially due to a friends recommendation for PS3. I'm a huge platformer fan and I gotta say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I never played the original Alice so this whole scene is completely new to me. I started on Nightmare and it was pretty tough until I upgraded a few of my weapons.

The game performs fairly well, but there are some noticeable frame rate stutters/drops here and there. Not enough to detract from the game though. I am REALLY surprised how much I like the combat in this game too. Once I saw those cool steam pot enemies the game clicked more with me. A lot of the enemies have that nice crunchy feel to them, something I wasn't expecting at all.

Also, any game with a deflect mechanic is cool in my books. I also love how each enemy has its little title introduction. I always love it when games introduce enemies in a special way with name displayed and all that good stuff.

The end of Chapter 1 threw me off a bit though.
At the very end of the CH with the Hatter, it looked like the game was preparing some epic boss fight, but some scripted ceiling collapse event started and a cut scene interrupted what looked like a cool boss fight. Are there even boss fights in this game?

only one :/

JaxJag

Banned
EchosMyron1 said:
Nah, keep trying (unless it drives you crazy), attempting to figure out how the reviews for this game could be so wildly off base is quite interesting.
You know, at this point it seems the critics have their little hive mind. I honestly do not think it's any coincidence that a lot of the gaming press is located in the same area.

And basically, if a game isn't a part of a beloved franchise, isn't innovative in someway, or from the "indie scene". The game just isn't going to review well.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yuterald said:
Bleh, oh well. Guess I should have expected that at this point.

Yeah it's really disappointing.

wanna hear something cool though ?

I also love how each enemy has its little title introduction.

You'll get a lot of those till the end of the game.

amdnv

JaxJag said:
You know, at this point it seems the critics have their little hive mind.
[...]
And basically, if a game isn't a part of a beloved franchise, isn't innovative in someway, or from the "indie scene". The game just isn't going to review well.
AAA production budgets seem to be a pretty reliable way to get scores in the 80s (usually 90s), regardless of quality.

Yuterald said:
Bleh, oh well. Guess I should have expected that at this point.
There are a lot of challenging fights, don't worry.

AAA production budgets seem to be a pretty reliable way to get scores in the 80s (usually 90s), regardless of quality.

I don't know the actual amount of dollars that went into "Alice: Madness Returns" but it certainly looks, visually, like a game that a lot of money was spent on.

You know, at this point it seems the critics have their little hive mind. I honestly do not think it's any coincidence that a lot of the gaming press is located in the same area.

A lot of reviewers seem to be treating this as it's a relic from a long gone era, the fact that this has become of 3D platformers is sad. Some reviewers disregard any game that "feels old" or "dated". As if any games made outside of the last 5 or so years were shit.

There's also some arguments for repetition, which seems reductionist to the point of near idiocy. Reviewers disregarding the actual design of a level, the game is introducing new platforming mechanics fairly frequently, expanding on established ones, introducing new enemy's even more frequently, and constantly changing between different incredible visual styles.

Apparently every time any platforming or combat sequence happens of any sort, that's another instance of repetition, regardless of varying design. So if that's the logic being used, how come every time I shoot a guy in the head in with an assault rifle in Black Ops or Killzone 3 or any modern shooter, it isn't regarded as such?

How come those games escape this reductionist definition of repetition? Is there a good reason?

Combichristoffersen said:
Superior Hatter Race version :D

I got both the PS3 and PC version (PS3 for comfy couch and trophies, PC for graphics whoring)
not that it will help you with your trophy whoring, but you should really look into hooking your PC up to your TV.

i ran a 50 foot hdmi cable from my PC to my TV, and i use a wireless 360 remote with it.

i played all of Alice on my couch, on my 3D HDTV, in 3D.

but yeah, i didn't get any trophies, and i won't look badly on anyone that bought this twice.

Ricker

LMAO at one of the punch moment near the end of chapter 4...would of preferred a fight but it was cool anyway,and the ``little`` wink,wink part after...this game is awesome,chapter 5 here I come.

eshwaaz

Okay, you guys win - I'm in. I'll buy Alice next week using the $15 and $20 gaming coupons I got with Shadows of the Damned (pretty good) and F.E.A.R. 3 (disappointing and forgettable).

I hope I'm as pleasantly surprised with Alice as many of you are!

frequency

Ermac said:
How long is this game? Any incentive to play though it twice?
I can't find anywhere to check my actual play time... but I would estimate it took me about 15 hours with a 97% completion rate.

There isn't really much incentive to play twice beyond harder difficulty.

Ermac said:
It took me around 15 hours to complete it on Hard difficulty. I'd say the playtime is probably around 12 to 15 hours all around, regardless of difficulty.

EDIT: Looking at my Steam internal counter it says I spent 21 freaking hours with the game. It's that good.

plagiarize said:
i played all of Alice on my couch, on my 3D HDTV, in 3D.
Sweet. How was the 3D effect? Was it worth it?
I only every played Mortal Kombat on PS3 in 3D and the effect in that game is pretty forgettable.

Ermac said:

I have all the DLC dresses and weapons so I'm playing through the first time without using any of them and will do a second playthrough with my equipment of choice on the highest difficulty setting. That and getting all the missed collectibles will give me reason to play through again.

Zeliard

Feels refreshing to play this alongside Red Faction: Armageddon. Alice mitigates the disappointment from the latter quite nicely.

The core gameplay is surprisingly more fun and responsive than I expected it to be. It's still very simple, admittedly shallow stuff but it's quite enjoyable, and gorgeous to boot.

The Interrobanger said:
Just traded in Red Faction Armageddon for this. Looking forward to playing it this weekend. :)

Good decision.

Aeana

Zeliard said:
Feels refreshing to play this alongside Red Faction: Armageddon. Alice mitigates the disappointment from the latter quite nicely.

The core gameplay is surprisingly more fun and responsive than I expected it to be. It's still very simple, admittedly shallow stuff but it's quite enjoyable, and gorgeous to boot.
Coming off of the first Alice, the sequel feels like a miracle in game design, especially in terms of combat. I'm kind of glad I decided to play through the first one again before tackling this as I think it makes it shine even brighter.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I have all the DLC dresses and weapons so I'm playing through the first time without using any of them and will do a second playthrough with my equipment of choice on the highest difficulty setting. That and getting all the missed collectibles will give me reason to play through again.
I'm doing this currently newgame+ :) If you didn't know already, the story dresses get properties applied to them at the end of your first playthough.

http://alice.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Alice:_Madness_Returns_Dresses

Zeliard

Aeana said:
Coming off of the first Alice, the sequel feels like a miracle in game design, especially in terms of combat. I'm kind of glad I decided to play through the first one again before tackling this as I think it makes it shine even brighter.

Yeah I hadn't played the first Alice in a long time. I'm actually thinking of booting it up for a blast from the past.

I also like the platforming in this, though I could do with a tad bit more air control.

Character designs are once again uniformly creepy and evocative. I literally booted up Alice: MR for the first time after having come off a 2 or so hour play session of Red Faction Armageddon, and the sense of sheer relief I felt when I laid eyes on Alice's Victorian London setting was palpable. I had been staring at muddy shit for two hours and was then introduced to beautiful art.

Bjoern the Smexy said:
It took me around 15 hours to complete it on Hard difficulty. I'd say the playtime is probably around 12 to 15 hours all around, regardless of difficulty.

EDIT: Looking at my Steam internal counter it says I spent 21 freaking hours with the game. It's that good.

Sweet. How was the 3D effect? Was it worth it?
I only every played Mortal Kombat on PS3 in 3D and the effect in that game is pretty forgettable.
Mortal Kombat kind of fakes the 3D. it's not true stereoscopic 3D, like you see in most first party Sony games, and most PC games when you force them into 3D.

i thought it was worth it in Alice :)

i do not play MK in 3D. because it's pointless.

_Xenon_

Banned
If they could split each chapters into 2 ~ 3 replay-able sub-chapters and link them with London stages then this game would be 9/10 (-1 being technique issues such as random freeze on PC version).

I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 and I really want to replay some part of previous chapters but shit is just too dragging :(

legbone

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:

same thing i am doing.

i was home at lunch and noticed i got my latest OXM. i checked the score for Alice and they gave it a 6.0 (maybe 6.5, i'm running on memory). i didn't get a chance to read it yet though. they may have valid complaints, it is an opinion afterall. just thought the op may want to add it. this game deserves no less than an 8 in my opinion. this is just one of those games that you have to ignore the critics and metacritics. i wouldn't doubt if many of the reviewers these days were in elementary school or diapers when gameplay like this was king.

Zeliard

It's just a prime example of the fact that aggregates and reviews in general should be taken with a grain of salt and will never be a substitute for a person's own experience. This is a game people should check out, but unfortunately, many won't due to the middling reviews.

We live in a world where anything that doesn't get 85+ on Metacritic is seen as some abject failure, so Alice not even hitting the 70 mark means many will stay away from this game.

this might be a dumb question, but how do i unlock concept art? do i have to get all the collectables on a chapter? or do i have to play on a higher difficulty than normal? i want me some concept art.

At least the user metacritic is a 9.0 for PC and over 8.0 for both PS3 and Xbox 360. Last time I looked on Amazon I think both console versions had around a 4 1/2 or 5 star rating. The PC rating was low on Amazon but that's true of nearly every PC game on there for some reason.

B-Dex

plagiarize said:
this might be a dumb question, but how do i unlock concept art? do i have to get all the collectables on a chapter? or do i have to play on a higher difficulty than normal? i want me some concept art.

The bottles unlock the artwork.

legbone

ok, so i'm at the house now and have read the article. it was a flat 6. that's cool, he pretty much didn't enjoy the game. fair enough. pacing issues etc. no big deal. whatever right? well i may be wrong but i was floored by the following:

under negatives at the end, he states aggravating targeting system. either he has never played ocarina of time or did not enjoy ocarina's targeting system. it is lifted directly from ocarina, this is z targeting basically. i liked z targeting. maybe he didn't. not trying to be a dick, but i wonder what the reviewer would say if asked what he thought of oot's targeting system.

Zeliard

legbone said:
ok, so i'm at the house now and have read the article. it was a flat 6. that's cool, he pretty much didn't enjoy the game. fair enough. pacing issues etc. no big deal. whatever right? well i may be wrong but i was floored by the following:

under negatives at the end, he states aggravating targeting system. either he has never played ocarina of time or did not enjoy ocarina's targeting system. it is lifted directly from ocarina, this is z targeting basically. i liked z targeting. maybe he didn't. not trying to be a dick, but i wonder what the reviewer would say if asked what he thought of oot's targeting system.

There are issues with the z-targeting at times, when it comes to the camera. Sometimes the camera won't be situated where it should be while you're targeted on an enemy and it can make some things a bit cumbersome, but I haven't found it to be too big a deal, playing on Hard.

legbone

i think frequency may be onto something. i have several bottles but no artwork. but i haven't collected all in any one level.

frequency

legbone said:
i think frequency may be onto something. i have several bottles but no artwork. but i haven't collected all in any one level.
I don't know if it's coincidence, but the only chapter that I don't have the art for is the one I didn't get all the bottles for.

frequency said:
I think you might have to collect all the bottles in a chapter to unlock the art for it.
Not sure though.
thanks. i'm replaying chapter one. i'll report back once i've got them all. i'm only missing one or two.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ermac said:

17 hours here, it can be less if you don't collect and do anything.

It's just nice to see long games in this day and age of 2.5 to 4 hours long games.

Totobeni said:
17 hours here, it can be less if you don't collect and do anything.

It's just nice to see long games in this day and age of 2.5 to 4 hours long games.
i think it says a lot that some people think parts of this dragged. i'm not one to slam a game for being short, but this never dragged for me, and i beat it in pretty short time considering i bought it and DNF the same day and have beaten them both already.

edit! not saying it's short! it's a good fifteen hours at least.

JRW said:
What are your PC specs? If you have an Nvidia card you can benefit from the added PhysX effects which you wont see in the console versions, you can also make PC version run at 60fps by editing one of the .ini files. (console versions are locked @ 30fps).

This video shows off some of the PhysX effects in Alice2

Also the first Alice was designed for mouse + keyboard and feels a little off with a gamepad according to reviews. (On the other hand Alice 2 feels best with a gamepad lol, Im using my PS3 controller with PC version).
no way to enable these effects with only an AMD GPU?

Krowley

Reading through this thread, it sounds like this is one of the most blatant examples of critics missing the boat in recent memory.

Top Bottom