• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Physx on medium killed the frame rate on my gtx 560ti, it has dropped below 30 during the first fight with the flying things at the beginning of the game.

Smokey

Principe Nero said:
Physx on medium killed the frame rate on my gtx 560ti, it has dropped below 30 during the first fight with the flying things at the beginning of the game.

I'm not even at the first "fight". I'm right at the point in the house where you first get control of her. My GPU usage maxed at 42% and my fps was are in the low teens on a 580.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
hlhbk said:
So I tried these and with physx on medium the best I can get is 30 FPS even with it uncapped. If I turn Physx to low it runs at a solid 60 FPS and never dips. I think it's my 8600 GT not being powerful enough to handle the dedicated physx.

Still debating on putting my old 8800 GTX in to test and see what happens but am pretty scared what that will do to the heat in my case.

To be honest I wasn't impressed by any of the Physx effects, they all looked out of place. The liquids even have a slightly different colour lol. So probably not worth the risk or hassle. Turn it back on for the lava level though.

I played this game with my 6950 only.

I'm not even at the first "fight". I'm right at the point in the house where you first get control of her. My GPU usage maxed at 42% and my fps was are in the low teens on a 580.

wow ? My fps dropped below 30 in a few fights only. I ran around with 60 pretty much most the time. That's really weird.

Did you guys try disabling Vsync ?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
vocab said:
Flat rate is one price no matter the weight, but it has to be in a certain box. That is what usps does with flat rate boxes. UPS will be based on how much it weighs for the most part.

Always go with the cheapest.

Thanks. Vorpal Blade and stand has now been ordered :D

Smokey said:

Wasn't answering to your problem, just stating how the game runs on my system, dunno what could be.

Anyway physx implementation in this game really needs a patch or something, it's disappointing that a couple of effects destroy performance in a otherwis never-below-60 game...

Just finished. Definitely up there as one of the best games I've played so far this year, although I'm not sure impression will hold up to repeated exposure. I think the game really does rely quite heavily on keeping you wondering what fucked up thing you're going to see around the corner, which is obviously lost once you've finished it for the first time.

The pacing in the second half gets a bit out of whack, it felt like they were trying to build a sense of tension and desperation but then dragged it out over far too long a period. There were some pretty amazing moments of platform-puzzling and combat during those parts though, so it certainly wasn't a big problem.

I'm giving Nightmare a bash now, except I think it's going to be crazy easy since I fully upgraded every weapon in my first run.

TheOddOne said:
I'm sorry, but the games you are discribing sell as well as on other other console. If you even look at the split between non-COD, non-Madden games between the consoles, the argument doesn't hold any merit.

Thats like saying PS3 only users don't buy games, only Blu-ray movies.

Damn dude, you really won't let this go? The problem is you're seeing the comment as being some "argument" in favour of a point of view or agenda when it wasn't. The 360 and PS3 are the places in which COD and Madden gamers do their gaming. The 360 has outsold the PS3 in the US. Therefore it stands to reason that the symbol du jour of the "common gamer" would be the 360 this generation.

The guy you quoted has come back and basically said exactly that so I don't know why you feel the need to continue this righteous indignation session about a wholly innocuous comment which was perfectly understood by nearly everyone else who read it.

Smokey

Yurt said:
To be honest I wasn't impressed by any of the Physx effects, they all looked out of place. The liquids even have a slightly different colour lol. So probably not worth the risk or hassle. Turn it back on for the lava level though.

I played this game with my 6950 only.

wow ? My fps dropped below 30 in a few fights only. I ran around with 60 pretty much most the time. That's really weird.

Did you guys try disabling Vsync ?

No. But that shouldn't be the reason I'm getting <10 fps at the very beginning of the game in a house. I have no idea what could be going on. Every other game works as normal.

Zeliard

Man this game is just pretty.

alicemadnessreturns201y7nx.png

alicemadnessreturns20127y4.png

alicemadnessreturns201q7cj.png

alicemadnessreturns20157wi.png

alicemadnessreturns201j7br.png

Sorry to those of you with smaller monitors/TVs but I had to post these in their full 1920x1080 glory. Lovely art design.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zeliard don't ruin the chapters on people haha

No. But that shouldn't be the reason I'm getting <10 fps at the very beginning of the game in a house. I have no idea what could be going on. Every other game works as normal.

Yeah that's really weird.

Smokey

I just put the game on bare minimum everything. It's in the 20s range. I've taken off the FPS change in the .ini. I've done everything. This is lame.

Sagitario

Aeana said:
Not really. If you're curious about the backstory, this game has an option in the extra features menu called "past matters" that summarizes what Alice went through in the first game.

Is it possible [and recommended, maybe?] to download and play Alice 1 before starting Madness Returns or do you have to play MR first to unlock the option to download Alice 1?

Smokey said:
I just put the game on bare minimum everything. It's in the 20s range. I've taken off the FPS change in the .ini. I've done everything. This is lame.

I changed the .ini files with the game on a friends PC. The game crashed for whatever reason, an hour or so in. The Vsync value reset, have you checked the .ini file since the initial change? Maybe it didn't take.

Smokey

EchosMyron1 said:
I changed the .ini files with the game on a friends PC. The game crashed for whatever reason, an hour or so in. The Vsync value reset, have you checked the .ini file since the initial change? Maybe it didn't take.

At this point I just uninstalled the game. I was on a chat with EA for like a hour and got no where. I googled to see if others are having problems and apparently there's quite a few things going on with the PC version. Guy on EA chat basically said my CPU (i7 2600k) was too powerful, had too many cores, and could be messing up the game. I disconnected at that moment and uninstalled it.

Maybe I'll re download it through Steam later but I was getting pissed off just sitting there looking at it so I took it off of my machine.

Combichristoffersen said:
Redownloading sounds like a good idea. Have you tried updating your GPU drivers, or are they up to date?

Latest drivers for the GTX 580, 275.33.

Combichristoffersen

Smokey said:
At this point I just uninstalled the game. Maybe I'll re download it through Steam later but I was getting pissed off just sitting there looking at it so I took it off of my machine.

Redownloading sounds like a good idea. Have you tried updating your GPU drivers, or are they up to date?

Zeliard

Sagitario said:
Is it possible [and recommended, maybe?] to download and play Alice 1 before starting Madness Returns or do you have to play MR first to unlock the option to download Alice 1?

You can play it immediately off the bat (unless you buy the game used I guess). I had played Alice 1 around its release so I didn't really remember much of it. I just jumped directly into Alice 2 and it's been smooth.

Just remember that Alice the character won't really register much surprise at her Wonderland surroundings this time around given that she's experienced it all before. She comes across as battle-hardened and knowing pretty much right off the bat.

hlhbk

Smokey said:

What are your specs? Also I don't see an option in the game to disable Vsync, but it is off in the ATI control panel.

Smokey

hlhbk said:
What are your specs? Also I don't see an option in the game to disable Vsync, but it is off in the ATI control panel.

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 580 with latest drivers (275.33)

It's re-downloading now so I guess I'll try again and see what happens.

Tigel

Zeliard said:
Man this game is just pretty.
Well yeah, kind of. The art style is really great, but this game as really and I mean, really bad textures everywhere. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Witcher 2, but heh... :/

Anyway I just finished it. It was a pretty good 7-8/10 game. However, some of the chapters just wouldn't want to end. Cut chapter 3 and 5 in half and the game would be much better.

My favourite chapter was chapter 4. Awesome setting, nice gameplay gimmicks and just the perfect length.

Smokey said:
Guy on EA chat basically said my CPU (i7 2600k) was too powerful, had too many cores, and could be messing up the game. I disconnected at that moment and uninstalled it.

Wow. That's pretty terrible technical support. Your performance issues sound like they're caused by PhysX to me. If you fully reinstall all of your Nvidia software it should reinstall the PhysX drivers too which might sort you out.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Sorry to hear that, Smokey. :/ lol @ EA guy though.

I finished the first chapter. Really pleased thus far.

Smokey

jim-jam bongs said:
Wow. That's pretty terrible technical support. Your performance issues sound like they're caused by PhysX to me. If you fully reinstall all of your Nvidia software it should reinstall the PhysX drivers too which might sort you out.

At this point anything is possible. I know I did take some stuff out to get the Witcher 2 to act right when it had an issue with the 3d drivers close to launch. I'll re download them, thanks.

Combichristoffersen

Smokey said:
At this point I just uninstalled the game. I was on a chat with EA for like a hour and got no where. I googled to see if others are having problems and apparently there's quite a few things going on with the PC version. Guy on EA chat basically said my CPU (i7 2600k) was too powerful, had too many cores, and could be messing up the game. I disconnected at that moment and uninstalled it.

Sounds like bullshit to me. From what I can gather the i7 2600k is a 3.4 GHz quad-core, and I'm running the game on a Phenom II X4 940 quad core at 3 GHz, and it runs fine, so I think the EA rep is talking out of his ass here :p

Zeliard

Tigel said:
Well yeah, kind of. The art style is really great, but this game as really and I mean, really bad textures everywhere. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Witcher 2, but heh... :/

You're certainly spoiled by Witcher 2, which has some of the most pristine textures ever seen in a game :p

Like many games, Alice's technical backbone has to fight against multiplat development with very old console hardware. But the art design and the overall effect from the visuals are consistently eye-grabbing and in my view far overshadow the technical inferiorities.

I would actually describe the overall impression I get out of both Alice: MR and Witcher 2's visuals using the exact same word: lush.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Guys you can disable Vsync by editing the alice engine file.

Smokey, I don't think it's your CPU ? I'm using 2500k.

Pimpbaa

Principe Nero said:

Do you have AA on? With it off, i'm able to play the game at a constant 30fps (leaving the games default v-sync setting on) with PhysX on high on my overclocked 460.

JohngPR

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Glad it wasn't just me. That second wave was just insane! I just tried to keep the enemies grouped together by laying clockwork bombs. Worked out well on my third try or so.

Yea, that's what I did and it took me about 4 tries. The bombs are key since they either redirect some of the enemies or lay the teapots on their ass so you can gouge their eyes.

Just finished Chapter 2 myself. Really enjoying it. Chapter 2 was a bit more slow paced than chapter 1 but I didn't mind.

Anyone else having a hard time keeping up with the british accents sometimes? LOL I had to turn the subtitles back on because I was having a hard time understanding what characters were saying.

Doesn't help that the voice audio is kind of low. I don't like how it comes through the rear surround speakers sometimes.

Pimpbaa said:
Do you have AA on? With it off, i'm able to play the game at a constant 30fps (leaving the games default v-sync setting on) with PhysX on high on my overclocked 460.

I went the opposite way myself, forced 8xMSAA and 2x2SSAA on transparency then turned the PhysX down to low. Fairly smooth 60FPS on my stock 460. Personal preference though, I almost always sacrifice effects for image-quality when I have the option.

Amir0x

Banned
ok this game seriously keeps getting better. My opinion of it is more and more positive.

It's extremely content packed for a single player game. It has mostly wonderful art direction. It has extremely solid platforming mechanics. I have no problem with the camera. The combat becomes somewhat more varied when you get all your tools, thus eventually becoming one of the rare 'decent' combat systems in a platforming/action hybrid game I've ever played. There's lots of wonderful little secrets. The cutscenes also got this rad style to them.

The only real problem I have at this point is checkpoints are extremely oddly placed, sometimes cutting back super far. And I suspect this is only an issue for me because I'm playing on Nightmare and so I actually died twice, which is basically usually impossible for me in games like this. Usually I never die.

I am moving my score up to 8.5 now. I am starting feel that the critics have played a completely different game. Maybe they accidentally played the first Alice in a drunken stupor.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
The only real problem I have at this point is checkpoints are extremely oddly placed, sometimes cutting back super far. And I suspect this is only an issue for me because I'm playing on Nightmare and so I actually died twice, which is basically usually impossible for me in games like this. Usually I never die.

Noticed this as well. It's strangely inconsistent. You fall off a ledge and it'll Prince of Persia 2008 you back to a ledge not far back. But then you die in some boss fight or whatever and have to do some section all over again.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
Noticed this as well. It's strangely inconsistent. You fall off a ledge and it'll Prince of Persia 2008 you back to a ledge not far back. But then you die in some boss fight or whatever and have to do some section all over again.

Yup. This one time I went through this enemy gauntlet, and then went through a huge platforming section. The entire thing took me like 15 minutes with the exploration I did. And then I didn't notice a teapot spouting the balls of hot tea from like eight hundred miles away and one of them killed me. I started waaaaay back before the enemy gauntlet. I was all "buh!?"

hlhbk

Ok I have seen a few mentions of Vsync being turned on by default in game. I have looked and do not see any vsync options. Am I missing something?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
hlhbk said:
Ok I have seen a few mentions of Vsync being turned on by default in game. I have looked and do not see any vsync options. Am I missing something?
AliceEngine.ini --> UseVsync=False

JRW

Finished it today, Such an amazing game IMO.. Think Ill play through it again since it offers a New Game+ except this time in Nightmare mode.

Definitely started having more fun once I connected my PS3 controller especially when surrounded by 4 or 5 enemies, It felt a little to cumbersome with mouse + key.

gdt

I know I can run it, but any idea as to how my 6770m will run this game? I can play The Witcher 2 @ 720p in high/ultra.

Smokey

Yurt said:
Guys you can disable Vsync by editing the alice engine file.

Smokey, I don't think it's your CPU ? I'm using 2500k.

I know it's not the CPU. That's why I immediately disconnected from the chat once he threw that out there. It's almost finished downloading from Steam. I've redownloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and didn't deselect anything this time. Hopefully it works.

jim-jam bongs said:
I went the opposite way myself, forced 8xMSAA and 2x2SSAA on transparency then turned the PhysX down to low. Fairly smooth 60FPS on my stock 460. Personal preference though, I almost always sacrifice effects for image-quality when I have the option.

What program are you using to force SSAA?

JRW

Smokey said:

Maybe I'll re download it through Steam later but I was getting pissed off just sitting there looking at it so I took it off of my machine.

Latest drivers for the GTX 580, 275.33.

Thats weird man I have an i7 920 oc'd 3.6ghz (Hyperthreading disabled for now until I can get better cooling) / 6GB with an EVGA GTX 480 and the game ran excellent start to finish with the cap set @ 60fps in the .ini (Vsync enabled) 1920x1080 / PhysX on High, I had FRAPS running so I could take screenshots and I noticed it drop into the low 30's to upper 20's during some intense scenes (the pepper grinder seems to be the biggest offender w/ PhysX enabled) but otherwise ran 60fps majority of the time.

EDIT: Just checked i'm running 270.61 drivers not sure if that has anything to do with it (Win 7 64).

Smokey said:
What program are you using to force SSAA?

Nvidia Inspector which I've found to be pretty solid. There's other stuff like Nhancer but I haven't kept up to date with that so much, Inspector has been reliable enough. Total life-saver for all of the multiplatform games with limited settings options when you want to kick things up a notch.

fallen_angel21

Neo Member
Smokey said:
I know it's not the CPU. That's why I immediately disconnected from the chat once he threw that out there. It's almost finished downloading from Steam. I've redownloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and didn't deselect anything this time. Hopefully it works.

Hope it does work for you. I'm also running drivers without the 3d stuff in it for witcher 2 but Alice is working just as expected from my hardware

Smokey

Success. I don't know whether it was the re installation of the drivers or the game but either way it's working now. I played a little with the normal 30 fps cap just to see if it was working correctly and it is. Just got the part where you get the pepper grinder and decided to stop. I've been reading that the grinder is pretty intense with Physx (I'm running it on High). I'll unlock the cap to 60 and resume a bit later.

I feel better now :p

TehOh

Played through all of chapter 4 last night.

Holy crap. Chapter 4 is godly throughout. Not a bad moment in there (except that I hated the camera angle for the
executioner chase
scenes).

The art direction for the first section (in the air with the cards) was absolutely stunning, and the
giant Alice
parts were really fun.

Wow. Can't wait to make my way through chapter 5.

hlhbk

Well I disabled the vsync with no increase in FPS using the grinder with physx on medium. I guess I have to play without Physx. Next time I am getting a high end Nvidia card....

Also is there any way to remove the black borders at 1920x1200?

Varna

hlhbk said:
Well I disabled the vsync with no increase in FPS using the grinder with physx on medium. I guess I have to play without Physx. Next time I am getting a high end Nvidia card....

Also is there any way to remove the black borders at 1920x1200?

It would not help you in this game. The pepper grinder brings down FPS by half on a 580gtx with a 460gtx for physX. It's just insane.

Top Bottom