• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Cheska

I think I encountered a glitch with the Caterpillar dress in Chapter 3.
There's a section where you need to ride moving invisible platforms and you can't seen them with the Caterpilla dress, even if you try shrinking :(

Cheska said:
I think I encountered a glitch with the Caterpillar dress in Chapter 3.
There's a section where you need to ride moving invisible platforms and you can't seen them with the Caterpilla dress, even if you try shrinking :(

Bummer, that's like the sweetest dress too! Try reloading?

TehOh said:
Wow. Can't wait to make my way through chapter 5.

Chapter 5, is so great, best pure platforming in the game for me. I have a significant backlog of games to play, but the new game + for this is tempting.

It would not help you in this game. The pepper grinder brings down FPS by half on a 580gtx with a 460gtx for physX. It's just insane.

I'm using a single Evga 570 Superclocked, and ran the game with high Physx. Pepper grinder didn't half my FPS. (I did unlock the the frame-rate from the AliceEngine.ini, however)

Edit:
Alice finally fell of the top 10 steam best sellers list :( Keep spreading that word, people!

Aeana

This game. I just started chapter 4. I looove Alice's dress in chapter 4!
Chapter 3 dragged on for a while, but while I recognized that it had been going on for-ev-er, I still didn't seem to mind so much. I just can't stop playing the game. It has so many issues, and I guess (I hate to use this word) jank, but it doesn't seem to matter at all. It's just so enthralling.

Cheska

Finished Chapter 3 as well. I did like that there were so many different aspects to it, but overall it's still my least favorite chapter so far.

So does playing a new game plus unlock additional enemies or radula rooms? I thought I was thorough in Chapter 3 but it says I'm still missing two rooms.

Aeana said:
This gameI just can't stop playing the game. It has so many issues, and I guess (I hate to use this word)

Jank? I, dunno the game seems pretty polished to me, especially the platforming controls. The only slight instances of "jank" or unpolishedness would be the hand full of times I got caught on something walking through keyholes as little Alice, and would have to jump to continue moving.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Is there any way to choose Alice's dresses or do they change only for the chapter?

I like the first dress best.
quoted for posterity, nancy dress boy

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hit X(360) to equip on the main menu. You can put the chapter specific dress on after you finish that chapter.

After you beat the game each of them add a status effect.

Cheska said:
Finished Chapter 3 as well. I did like that there were so many different aspects to it, but overall it's still my least favorite chapter so far.

So does playing a new game plus unlock additional enemies or radula rooms? I thought I was thorough in Chapter 3 but it says I'm still missing two rooms.

You go so long in Chapter 3 without a trace of the narrative in sight. I enjoyed all the Chapters, but Chapter 3 was my least favorite for that.

ALSO, how come it only uses those
Treadmill-esque scrolls that you have to walk against the momentum of while dodging the flaming characters, like two times?
One of the only platforming mechanics in the game that could've have been more fully explored.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
loblaw said:
That's depressing. Thought the game was doing better.

Doesn't necessarily mean the game is doing badly. In some cases, it might mean the game is doing well.

But yeah, this game is pretty niche so I'd be surprised if it's doing all that well. Would love to be mistaken though.

Tokubetsu

ShockingAlberto said:
Is there any way to choose Alice's dresses or do they change only for the chapter?

I like the first dress best.

Big fan of Chapter 3 and 4s dresses myself. Alice looks gorgeous in everything though <3

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
When even Ami loves this game, you know we've got something special on our hands here :lol I really don't get the low scores from critics. Did they play the Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland game or something?

Combichristoffersen said:
When even Ami loves this game, you know we've got something special on our hands here :lol I really don't get the low scores from critics. Did they play the Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland game or something?

My guess is that most reviewers were not big Alice fans to begin with and that the repetitive and stretched gameplay segments outweighed the great art direction.

And I can't blame them for that. If you don't like the art-direction people should stay away from this game, because the gameplay might not be satisfying enough. For me the opposite happened with Bayonetta: I hated the art direction but the gameplay redeemed that tenfold. Alice doesn't.

Still, this is my sleeper-hit baby for the summer. Just finished it and will platinum it in due time. A solid 7/10 for gameplay and a 11/10 for artistic direction. Also Chapter 4 gets a 20/10

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I know everyone praises chapter 4 , and it was really good. but Chapter 5 OMG dat plataforming and design, it was just glorious! we need more plataformers like that!

edit: there is any good current gen plataformer around? I hear Lara Croft and the Guardian of light is good

Amir0x

Banned
you know what's awesome? this game. Super rad.

dgenx said:
edit: there is any good current gen plataformer around? I hear Lara Croft and the Guardian of light is good

!!!! Of course!

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is superb although its platforming credentials are rather on the low scale.

But there are tons of great current gen platformers.

Outland
Mario Galaxy 1/2 (both being among of greatest platformers of all time)
Wario Shake
Super Meat Boy (one of the greatest platformers of all time)
VVVVVV

to start you off

bengraven

Wait, what's going on here? I thought this game was supposed to be horrible?

I bought my first PC for the first game; I just wrote this one off so as not to get disappointed.

Amir0x said:
But there are tons of great current gen platformers.

Outland
Mario Galaxy 1/2 (both being among of greatest platformers of all time)
Wario Shake
Super Meat Boy (one of the greatest platformers of all time)
VVVVVV

to start you off

No Mirror's Edge? Another fantastic current gen platformer that took a beating from reviewers. :/

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
No Mirror's Edge? Another fantastic current gen platformer that took a beating from reviewers. :/

fuck yes Mirror's Edge! I just forgot about it

Mirror's Edge IS one of my favorite current gen games after all

bengraven said:

I bought my first PC for the first game; I just wrote this one off so as not to get disappointed.

I didn't like the first Alice at all so I can't provide context but I did play the downloadable version after playing a bit of this new game for context and this one is so massively improved in terms of mechanics it's almost insane and even more wild and imaginative than the first game artistically so I can't envision you won't love it.

bengraven said:

It isn't horrible in any way. There's just a massive disconnect between reviewers opinion of it and the opinions from people here. I've really never seen it as pronounced as it is with this game.

bengraven

Okay, sold. I loved the atmosphere and story of the first one, but the mechanics and combat were really dull. So any improvement there is a plus.

Nemesis_

REZ and ALBERTO

I'm not sure if this is how you do it since I've yet to beat Chapter 1, but have you tried pressing the EQUIP button at the main menu?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What a great morning. Just picked up Alice for PC for $30 on Amazon. Copied the key and activated it on Origin. Also, got Bulletstorm and Medal of Honor for $15 each using the FIFTYOFF deal on Origin today. 3 games for $60. Not too shabby. :)

I have a GTX560 Ti, i5750, 4GB RAM. What settings should I use for Alice on PC?

Nemesis_

Just how fucking amazing is the physics on Alice herself in this game? I've just loaded up my game while I do a bit of surfing, and having Alice just stand there and see both HER HAIR and her DRESS blowing in the wind so realistically is mind boggling.

I love it when little things like this are done oh-so-right

Hypatia

Picked up the game on Steam last night and so far I'm really, really enjoying it. This is so much better than the original.

The platforming isn't incredibly inventive (floating platforms, moving platforms etc.) but the mechanics are tight and it's very enjoyable. I was worried it'd be a straight forward, overly easy affair that would get tedious fast but after the opening levels it's ratcheted up the difficulty and atually started engaging me.

I'm more suprised by how damn good the combat is though because from the videos I got the impression it would be a really dull spam-a-thon. While the Mapcaps at the start can largely be defeated that way it gets way more interesting and fun when they add in enemies that require the dodge, block and pepper gun. It also looks really cool which is great :)

The aesthetic is, of course, utterly fantastic but I'm a huge Alice fan so I might be a bit biased. Though I do find the 'grimmdark' stuff a bit silly at times.

It's a lot more colourful, inventive and interesting than the original. Game's a bit ugly technically but it more than makes up for it with good art.

The main problem I have so far is how linear it is. Which is fine for the platforming but the hidden areas just end up feeling... not hidden. And largely the things you discover seem a bit pointless... 5 second snatches of audio and more teeth.

Also the lock on icon is confusing. Why does it float to the side of enemies? I can never tell who it is I'm locked on to when there are more than two enemies on screen. And it doesn't help that the camera is kinda shit at times, even when I'm locked on.

But all in all a very enjoyable game so far, very, very glad I didn't overlook it.

Am I the only one whose game keeps stalling when picking up memories though? Most of the time it's only for a split second but one time the entire game froze for 10 seconds.

TheExodu5 said:
The IGN review is such a joke. "Waaaaah invisible walls and a few bad textures waaaah"

Casually forgotten by the next God of War game..

Meh, it doesn't stop my enjoyment of either series but it's still pretty irritating.

Zeliard

Hypatia said:
Also the lock on icon is confusing. Why does it float to the side of enemies? I can never tell who it is I'm locked on to when there are more than two enemies on screen. And it doesn't help that the camera is kinda shit at times, even when I'm locked on.

To the side? The yellow icon should be appearing right above their heads. I agree with the camera issues, though. It often gets caught in geometry or whatnot and doesn't always center itself behind Alice when you're locked on, which can be a bit annoying.

jcm

I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, but it's a big thread. If I haven't played the original yet, should I do that first? I have the PS3 version if it matters. Thanks.

Nemesis_

jcm said:
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, but it's a big thread. If I haven't played the original yet, should I do that first? I have the PS3 version if it matters. Thanks.

I forced myself to. It was a terrible mistake. It feels really dated, the worlds don't feel alive at all and the complete lack of story makes it hard to be interested and trudge through.

I would recommend reading the recaps in the actual game menus, but maybe steer clear of the original Alice unless you enjoy it past the first hour or so.

It really hasn't aged well at all.

Inject_Me_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Top Bottom