• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Zeliard

ShockingAlberto said:
Like, I feel the lock-on system is crazy. It should center the camera on enemy and then make them the focal point, so I'm circle-strafing around them. This would make general crowd control so much easier. I find sometimes that I died because I bothered to target an enemy and couldn't get the camera to show me everything else.

This is probably my biggest gripe with the game. The lock-on and the camera don't gel very well together.

If you have the PC version you can increase the FOV to give you a wider viewing angle against crowds.

Gigglepoo

ShockingAlberto said:
Like, I feel the lock-on system is crazy.

Agreed. I just finished Chapter 4 (so good!) and finally abandoned trying to get the lock-on to work. I only used it for the flying enemies, and it made the fights faster and more fun.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zeliard said:
This is probably my biggest gripe with the game. The lock-on and the camera don't gel very well together.

I don't have any problems with the lock system or the camera, really, I just lock on any guy and change the target by the right stick,it was easy to change the targets and let me fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee in even small places and against many enemies, worked like a charm for me.

Zeliard

Totobeni said:
I don't have any problems with the lock system or the camera, really, I just lock on any guy and change the target by the right stick,it was easy to change the targets and let me fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee in even small places and against many enemies, worked like a charm for me.

I have no issues with locking on and changing targets - it's the moving around while locked on part that can be a hassle. You don't always have clean 360 degree movement around whatever you're locked on, for circle-strafing purposes and whatnot. The camera is often blocked so it won't be situated behind Alice when you're locked on, so you don't get that full range of movement.

Emonga said:

I like how the clothing comes with 'remove me' already on it.

Also, ENDING related (major spoiler incoming alert):
the same theme is actually a part of the game, both in the sense that Alice would been made into an apathic sexslave - or better put: sexdoll - and that the player actually does the same thing or has a similar distorted relation to the "puppet" of the game: Alice herself. I guess the developer wanted to give the player a sense of feeling bad about 'dressing up' the doll -Alice- that they play the game with.

A quite clever use of ludic narrative, imho.

Been playing this all weekend, I'm about midway though chapter 3, and I'm not really feeling it.

It feel like an B-tier platformer from 2 gens ago. The graphics are atrocious (360), the combat isn't horrible but between the lock on camera and lack of effective weaponry and enemy variety I'm not too crazy about it. Thankfully, there's more platforming than combat, but even the platforming is so by the numbers that it gets tiresome.

It's writing is ok, voice acting is forgettable, level design is pretty pedestrian especially considering they basically had the opportunity to go completely crazy based off the source material.

There's nothing horribly wrong with the game, but it doesn't really do anything that Psychonauts and anything on the N64 didn't do years and year ago. Still gonna stick with it since it apparently keeps getting better as the game goes on.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:

If you have the PC version you can increase the FOV to give you a wider viewing angle against crowds.

The curious thing is that I think the developers knew about the basic general finickiness of the lock-on since they added in dick battles with ghosts that disappear and break your lock on while simultaneously throwing in a neverending spawning stream of little slug things so that you can never quite target the ghost guy because the slugs are in your way every second meanwhile he's throwing bombs at you and the only way to hit him when he's throwing bombs is to target him and blow the bomb up in his hands

they just fuckin' with people at that point I think

other than that battle though I mostly haven't had too much impediment with the lock-on and I'm playing on Nightmare.

RoboPlato said:
Is the PS3 version of this alright? I may pick it up this week.

It's perfectly playable. There are a few texture discrepancies in the earlier chapters, but not much else. Apparently, the 360 version has some sort of red hue to it also. I don't think it matters where you play it, though.

I guess when we get more people coming in here to see what all the fuss is about, naturally, that means we'll get some people that will dislike it too. B-tier N64 game though? Yikes.

Oh, is that how you kill the ghost guys?

I just assumed they were meant to be hindrances while you solved the puzzle in the area.

That explains how anyone could have designed a puzzle solved scene where you're still getting attacked by enemies. I mean, I still question it, but it's not as stupid as I initially thought. Just pretty stupid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know you could kill the ghost guys until they're formally introduced at the end of chapter two. So, weirdly, even though you can kill them I'm not entirely sure you're supposed to, given their lack of an introductory sequence earlier on.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
The curious thing is that I think the developers knew about the basic general finickiness of the lock-on since they added in dick battles with ghosts that disappear and break your lock on while simultaneously throwing in a neverending spawning stream of little slug things so that you can never quite target the ghost guy because the slugs are in your way every second meanwhile he's throwing bombs at you and the only way to hit him when he's throwing bombs is to target him and blow the bomb up in his hands

other than that battle though I mostly haven't had too much impediment with the lock-on and I'm playing on Nightmare.

It functions well enough for the most part, but I think it could have been smoothed over a bit more. The quality of the overall combat is actually the most surprising thing to me about this game. It's nothing particularly deep but it's pretty to look at and more responsive and varied than I expected.

And haha yeah I had the same issue with the ghost guy at first. I ignored the first one that you encounter and just went to the next area, but then realized with the second that you had to shoot the bombs. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MarshMellow96 said:
It's perfectly playable. There are a few texture discrepancies in the earlier chapters, but not much else. Apparently, the 360 version has some sort of red hue to it also. I don't think it matters where you play it, though.

I guess when we get more people coming in here to see what all the fuss about, naturally, that means we'll get some people that will dislike it too. B-tier N64 game though? Yikes.
Cool, good to know. I've been interested in this for a while and I know a lot of UE3 games are kind of hit or miss on PS3.

Amir0x said:

When those ghosts go underground you can play Whack-A-Mole with the hobby horse and stun them that way. I always dodged until he went underground. Or used the Rabbit bomb to distract the slugs so I could more easily target the ghosts hands.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Moofers said:

I'm not sure how to ensure it will print, but a lot of people on CAG have also been getting a $10 off $10 purchase general coupon good from 7/5 to 7/10 during their purchases. I think I might use mine to just get something out of the clearance bin. Never did figure out how to get Bioshock to run properly on my PC, so I could just get it on PS3.

Hideo Kuze

Neo Member
I played this for a few hours today and I'm really enjoying it so far. I loved the intro and the starting area when you go back to wonderland.
So far the combat reminds me of Zelda with the lock-on & dodge and the platforming reminds me of the different platformers I've played throughout the years, so, so far it may not be the most the original game ever made but I'm loving the artstyle and music and I'm enjoying the combat and platforming and I'm really starting to get into the world and its story.
I hope I enjoy it at much as I am now all the way through, it's a shame I never got around to playing the original game first.

Snaku

Banned
Just picked the PS3 version up from Kmart for $35. I'll dive in after I finish up the last chapter of Back to the Future.

Angry Fork

Thanks for the heads up on 30$ Amazon. Just bought it. I hope you can link it to Steam but it's not a big deal if you can't. Game looks awesome but I didn't want to pay 50 for it if it only lasted 6-8 hours without stuff to do on a 2nd run.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just remembered I found one of Alice's memories in the Caterpillar's domain, and it was a memory of Alice talking about smoking weed, and how she would try smoking a pipe (presumably a hookah) someday :lol

fallen_angel21

Neo Member
Frost_Ace said:
noob question: what are the recommended specs for the pc version?
Not too heavy I think as long as you use moderate physx settings, since my gtx 275 has been able to max this game at 1920x1080. I guess if you're able to run the latest unreal engine 3 games, you should be good to go with this

JohngPR

Combichristoffersen said:
The 24th date changed to the 28th the day after I ordered a signed copy of the art book. Hope it ships next week then, I want a signed copy of that art book.

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

:)

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't even know why I bother looking at gamerankings anymore.

Yeah, I forgot what game it was but sometime last year I pretty much just gave up on reviews all together. The only reviews I see now are the occasional giantbomb game score on their main page (unavaoidable) and sometimes I'll skim through RPS' Wot I Think (They didn't like Alice much either).

cametall

Combichristoffersen said:
I just remembered I found one of Alice's memories in the Caterpillar's domain, and it was a memory of Alice talking about smoking weed, and how she would try smoking a pipe (presumably a hookah) someday :lol

Lizzie, the older sister.

I believe all the memories are Alice's memories of things other people said.

tenz0r

I just got my copy today, and I never played the first game before. Should I redeem my code for the first game and play that first, or should I just jump into the new game?

I rather play madness returns first, but if it's recommended to play the first game before madness returns I'll do that.

tenz0r said:
I just got my copy today, and I never played the first game before. Should I redeem my code for the first game and play that first, or should I just jump into the new game?

I rather play madness returns first, but if it's recommended to play the first game before madness returns I'll do that.

I would play the first game first so you can play the back story to madness returns. Also its a great game.

Amir0x

Banned
tenz0r said:

play the first game since it is so mechanically outdated and so mediocre by current standards that it is essentially unplayable after you play Madness Returns

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
cametall said:
Lizzie, the older sister.

I believe all the memories are Alice's memories of things other people said.

Ah, yes, I think you are right, actually.

tenz0r said:

You don't have to play Alice 1 before Madness Returns, but be sure to redeem your code anyway, a free game is a free game ;)

iammeiam

EchosMyron1 said:
All the price drops really make me feel like this game must not be selling well :( . Wasn't the first one a hit? I really hope that this can be a slow burn success, through word of mouth.

These sort of shortly-after-release drops aren't really all that uncommon these days. It was only a couple of weeks before Portal 2 hit $39.99 on a sale, I think? Generally one place decides to put it on a sale, then everyone else drops price to match it. I wouldn't get concerned unless it stays at $40 after the week is up.

Glad I got this from Amazon when they were selling preorders for $45, though. Got to preorder, don't feel like I wasted a ton of money with it now being on sale.

I am so tempted to get this, I really am but I am waiting for either ZP or AJ to cover it before I dive in. Reading this thread is not helping me wait for their reviews, damn you all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zeitgeister said:
Also, ENDING related (major spoiler incoming alert):
the same theme is actually a part of the game, both in the sense that Alice would been made into an apathic sexslave - or better put: sexdoll - and that the player actually does the same thing or has a similar distorted relation to the "puppet" of the game: Alice herself. I guess the developer wanted to give the player a sense of feeling bad about 'dressing up' the doll -Alice- that they play the game with.

A quite clever use of ludic narrative, imho.

Yeah that was pretty awesome and twisted.

Also the subject of
pedophilia
was a surprise to me since almost no game I remember dared to go that place before, and I felt really sad for
Alice because she killed the pedophile rapist but then went completely insane ( her Wonderland merged with the real world) at the end after all bad things happened to her, sad sad ending.

Absolutely brilliant storytelling, just freaking fantastic.

Somnid

Void Insanity said:
I am so tempted to get this, I really am but I am waiting for either ZP or AJ to cover it before I dive in. Reading this thread is not helping me wait for their reviews, damn you all.

People actually watch Zero Punctuation for review substance?

What a pleasant surprise this game is. Totally awesome. The only problem I have with it is that it's too long.

Somnid said:

The Zero Punctuation guy is the only honest reviewer out there.

Trent Strong said:
What a pleasant surprise this game is. Totally awesome. The only problem I have with it is that it's too long.

His Game of 2010 was Just Cause 2. Dude gets it when it comes to quality gaming.

Somnid said:
When I dislike a game or think something is off he generally hits the nail on the head. I do not trust him to "review" a game, I trust him to be blunt. The more forced he is when talking bad things about a game, the better that game is.
Trent Strong said:
In terms of honesty, I rank Angry Joe up there with him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
lol Zero Punctuation ? I love him but he's just a troll. He reviewed the Witcher 1 and 2 without even completing them. And he equally hated both.

His reviews are also filled with all kinda spoilers.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
How do I start the poster puzzle? I've picked up the other pieces already.

Guess it was bugged. Restarting worked. Weird.

bender

What time is it?
GuiltybyAssociation said:
How do I start the poster puzzle? I've picked up the other pieces already.

It should start automatically once you have all of the pieces so your probably still missing one. It's a sliding puzzle so there should be 8 pieces total or which you need to find four (I think).

I picked up the PS3 version earlier today at K-Mart. It seems to have a weird audio mix and sends garbled noise to my left speaker at times (sounds like the speaker is blown). The frame rate is pretty good beyond the the stutters when it saves or when you pick up a memory and he game has to load the audio.

The game has a lot of edge detection issues where you character will get stuck on terrain you should easily be able to walk up on. This seems to be a bigger issue in the first chapter as I didn't notice it happening very much in the second. I've also seen some weird camera shifts mid-jump which is really obnoxious.

That second chapter seemed to go on forever and that wasn't a good thing. I'd wish they'd tone down the combat encounters.

I really love the segments between chapters, definitely the highlight of the game so far.

Angry Fork

Trent Strong said:

He's honest but a lot of stuff he says is exaggerated for comedic effect which is why it's hard to take his reviews too seriously. They're definitely entertaining though and have more truth in them than most "real" reviews. I don't take real reviews seriously either though so yahtzee is better.

iammeiam said:
These sort of shortly-after-release drops aren't really all that uncommon these days. It was only a couple of weeks before Portal 2 hit $39.99 on a sale, I think? Generally one place decides to put it on a sale, then everyone else drops price to match it. I wouldn't get concerned unless it stays at $40 after the week is up.

Glad I got this from Amazon when they were selling preorders for $45, though. Got to preorder, don't feel like I wasted a ton of money with it now being on sale.

I hope so, this game is great. Couldn't resist, am now new game plussing on nightmare. I really want this game to make enough money to keep Spicy Horse in the game.

Angry Fork said:
He's honest but a lot of stuff he says is exaggerated for comedic effect which is why it's hard to take his reviews too seriously.

I think it's fairly easy to know when he's voicing legitimate complaints and when he's doing schtick; he also often states explicitly if he thinks the game is good or not, so provided you "get the joke," I think you can take them as seriously as any other review.

But, I do think the fact that his reviews are waaaaay better when you've already played the game sort of puts his videos into their own little genre, distinct from other video reviews.

Cheska

Chapter 5 is done! Probably my least favorite level overall. The entire chapter was just creepy and weird, and it felt longer than Chapter 3 to me. I agree with everyone else that Chapter 4 was utter perfection, and art direction wise both chapter 2 and 4 are tied for prettiest levels for me. Last chapter to go, I wanted to save it for after work tomorrow so I have something to look forward to :D

Top Bottom