• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

So the only way to get the original Alice on the PC is to order through Origin?

I played it years ago, but my copy is a Mac OS 9 version, I have no machine that can run that OS these days. :-/

My PC can definitely handle it but my PS3 has a 5.1 sound system, so I'm fine with going that route.

Ricker

bluedeviltron said:
This fucking lock-on system.

This fucking lock-on system.

I didn`t really have any problems with it throughout the game but it`s quite a pain on the last Boss,that`s all I have to say about that hehe...

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Been itching to play this one since it came out and all of the GAF Hype made it worse. Finally grabbed it for a good price ($35 at KMart this week) and can't wait to give it a whirl tonight!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cheska said:
What trophy/achievement exploit?

The save system in the game is weird, and you can abuse the chapter select after you beat the game. Say you make a new game+ on nightmare, play until the first autosave, then exit out and pick the last part of chapter 1 and complete it, you get credit for beating chapter 1 on nightmare. You can get credit for the whole game this way, same with using hysteria once.

JohngPR

Papercuts said:
The save system in the game is weird, and you can abuse the chapter select after you beat the game. Say you make a new game+ on nightmare, play until the first autosave, then exit out and pick the last part of chapter 1 and complete it, you get credit for beating chapter 1 on nightmare. You can get credit for the whole game this way, same with using hysteria once.

Ghostbusters had a similar glitch with its save system if I remember.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Last chapter to go, I wanted to save it for after work tomorrow so I have something to look forward to

6egknc.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
brandonh83 said:
Wonder when they'll patch the trophy/achievement exploit.

Papercuts said:

If this "exploit" will let trophy and achievements whores to buy the game, then it's a good thing really to the game and Spaicy Horse,and there is no real problem here ( let face it.. trophies and achievements are completely pointless ) and also since they will have to play and beat the game at least once to open all the chapters and then use this "exploit".

EchosMyron1 said:
Eh? What's wrong with the lock-on system?

I like this game a lot, but the lock-on system is not great. If you try to circle strafe around an enemy, the camera will stay looking at you instead of the enemy, and the enemy will be off screen. In every other game I can think of, if you're locked on to an enemy, the camera always stays on the enemy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, I got this since people said it's so good but it's not really delivering for me so far. It feels and looks like a low budget, and possibly rushed, game to me. It's not particularly bad but nothing stands out yet. Some of the level and art design reminds me of Epic Mickey, another game that didn't deliver on its potential. I'm just where I froze the molten place to pass through, does it get better soon? I liked fighting the teapots, that was the first enemy that felt nice to beat.

slit said:
BTW, out of curiosity, about how long is the game?
Longer than most games today. It took me around 14 hours for my first playthough, but that could be a bit long because I was looking for all the collectibles.

slit

MrTroubleMaker said:
Longer than most games today. It took me around 14 hours for my first playthough, but that could be a bit long because I was looking for all the collectibles.

Cool. I probably be picking it up tomorrow.

Trent Strong said:
I like this game a lot, but the lock-on system is not great. If you try to circle strafe around an enemy, the camera will stay looking at you instead of the enemy, and the enemy will be off screen. In every other game I can think of, if you're locked on to an enemy, the camera always stays on the enemy.
So it's like like ninja gaiden lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's odd, I finished it in 12 hours but it felt much longer than the majority of modern games I play.

I think it's because of the she amount of new assets they were continually throwing at me. I'm so conditioned to expect "oh, well I've been through three fully featured art-sets, time to hit the finale".

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Combichristoffersen said:
Epic Weapons shipped my Vorpal Blade replica and stand :D Now if just the Alice 2 store would ship the damn art book and the t-shirt..

Enjoy it, after seeing how the game is on sale/discount every where it may even be nice super rare item shorty and a story to tell your children in the future about how a great game bombed so hard and we never ever got a sequel for it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Totobeni said:
Enjoy it, after seeing how the game is on sale/discount every where it may even be nice super rare item shorty and a story to tell your children in the future about how a great game bombed so hard and we never ever got a sequel for it.

I have many stories about those :(

Maybe if they add more blur, make her go tomb raiding, and add a cutscene every 2 minutes this game would score higher?

Liking the game so far.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Totobeni said:

Don't crush my hopes and dreams for a third Alice game :'(

frequency

Totobeni said:
Half the games in my collection fit this description. That's depressing. Now I'm sad.

Trent Strong said:

That's happened a couple times, it's not a hassle to break the lock, move the camera, then lock on. All you have to do is let go of the trigger

It's such a non-issue I couldn't even remember that it happened, when you described it and had to boot up the game again to remember. It even took me a couple tries to get it to happen.

*sniff*

Picked the PC version up via the Amazon sale and it really is a sight to behold at 1920x1080 with PhysX enabled. I went in with really low expectations - I find the whole edgy Alice in Wonderland idea kind of played out, but writing off the game like that does it a big disservice. It's clear they worked really hard on the artwork and graphics. I can't wait to see more.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If I buy the disc version do I need to have the disc in the drive to play the game? (I'm not a big fan of that.)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The audio is poorly mixed for the cutscenes. It plays for me, but it sounds like shit. Not sure what they did there.

I'm in the middle of chapter three at the moment. Game continues to delight.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Yurt said:
Why not buy the steam version then.

In Sweden the Steam version is about twice as expensive.

kinoki

Yurt said:
Oh shit! What about the other online services ? like EA origin and DD ?

Well, no since they're all just as expensive. :S

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmm, would someone mind telling me where the .exe file is? It doesn't show up automatically when I got to add a game. I'd like to add this to my Steam launcher but I can't seem to find the file.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
Hmmm, would someone mind telling me where the .exe file is? It doesn't show up automatically when I got to add a game. I'd like to add this to my Steam launcher but I can't seem to find the file.
It's down the Alice 2/win32 etc etc hole somewhere, I forget exactly where

Tymerend

Just picked it up from Amazon. Really impressed with it so far, especially in the face of all the negative reviews that popped up. The lock on system is kinda janky, but I love the design of the characters, and the platforming will more than make up for that.

Also, glad to hear the about the length of the game. Not that I NEED a super long experience to feel justified in spending thirty bucks, but I always enjoy playing more of a good game.

Ken

Tymerend said:
Just picked it up from Amazon. Really impressed with it so far, especially in the face of all the negative reviews that popped up. The lock on system is kinda janky, but I love the design of the characters, and the platforming will more than make up for that.

Also, glad to hear the about the length of the game. Not that I NEED a super long experience to feel justified in spending thirty bucks, but I always enjoy playing more of a good game.
It's definitely lengthy, but I felt pretty tired after about two hours in of each chapter. I'm currently on chapter 5, and after about an hour and a half I started rushing through sometimes ignoring an obvious pig snout or a Shrink section. Running through the same looking environments gets tired fast, and at times the game goes on for too long giving the player the same things to do over and over.
Chapter 3 is an example of this as I was entering a few battles, jumping through platforming sections, and running through the 2D side scroller three times in a row.
I think the game would have been better if they made each chapter about 1/3 shorter but that there were more chapters as there'd be less time to become habituated to a single stage's unique aesthetics and become tired of it which is really unfortunate as the game has some great looking themes.
Cardbridge
is an example.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
As soon as you start skipping stuff (in any game really) you should just take a break. You'll come back sooner or later.

Top Bottom