• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Tokubetsu

Last boss wasn't that annoying. The only thing that really kinda drove up the wall were those pinball segments. There are so many of them so close together and nowhere else in the game...they just got old really quickly. I'll replay this whenever I get an nvidia card.

Ricker

Tokubetsu said:
Last boss wasn't that annoying. The only thing that really kinda drove up the wall were those pinball segments. There are so many of them so close together and nowhere else in the game...they just got old really quickly. I'll replay this whenever I get an nvidia card.

Yeah,the last Boss wasn`t so bad after all,I beat it on my 3rd try...the game was awesome but yeah those pinball segments in chapter 5 drove me nuts,especially the one where you had to shoot the head in a plinko/peggle type wheel...it kept falling out of play for me hehe...

kiryogi

Banned
Just finished it. Last boss wasn't too at all. Died only once. I look forward to facing it again on nightmare. That said however...

Regarding chapter 5. The platforming was indeed really solid, but the level itself was just absolutely demented as things proceeded. I really want getting some major chills while playing it. I also wasn't a fan of the other distractions offered.

And yes, major praise for chapter 4.
Felt great to become giant Alice and take out the executioner in one stomp like that. And the carnage afterwards with her :D
It probably also has the best dress design wise that isn't from the DLC. Too bad it handicaps you D:

Ricker

How do you know what buffs or debuffs the dresses give you? I like the stitched one the best or the one with the cards(Royal suit I think).

frequency

Ricker said:
How do you know what buffs or debuffs the dresses give you? I like the stitched one the best or the one with the cards(Royal suit I think).
It tells you on the equip screen. The non-DLC dresses only have effects after you complete the game.

finished chapter 3, &, for me, this game, by staying within itself & not trying to 'conquer the world', accomplishes what a large number of major, triple-a releases this gen have failed to do - it makes playing a video game a simple, joyful experience. the last game i played that worked for me on this level (out of the blue, low-key, straight-forward, unique graphic style) was mini ninjas...

I picked this up a few weeks ago, and my wife has been playing it every day. I would usually watch for awhile, then browse gaf or play something on my laptop. Last night she reached chapter 4. I looked up from gaf to see her entering "Cardbridge". Closed the laptop and spent the rest of the evening amazed at the level design. Well done Spicy Horse!

kiryogi said:
Regarding chapter 5. The platforming was indeed really solid, but the level itself was just absolutely demented as things proceeded. I really want getting some major chills while playing it. I also wasn't a fan of the other distractions offered.

Was it the
creepy kids, some of which having exposed brain meats, that did it to you?
Not the first time I heard that about Ch.5, what was so freaky about it?
except for this of course: http://i56.tinypic.com/2lj705s.jpg

The revelations you make about how much of a hardcore scumbag Bumby is were the most demented thing about the game for me. He really had to work hard to top the opening where he's brainwashing little kids.

Ordered the PC version today. I don't mind waiting on it from Amazon since I have school and I know if I had it here with me now I'd fail all my classes.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
EchosMyron1 said:
The revelations you make about how much of a hardcore scumbag Bumby is were the most demented thing about the game for me. He really had to work hard to top the opening where he's brainwashing little kids.

yeah Bumby was a real shit fuck,what he did to Alice's Family, what he did to her sister and other kids is just disgusting ( rape children,brainwashing them, sell them later as insane sex slaves, make sure Alice is crazy so no one believe her )he is one of the most evil phsycho manipulating villain ever
, anyway the way the game handled the subjects of
Sexual slavery,child prostitution and pedophilia
was actually unique and done very well since almost no one dare to touch or mention these kind of stuff in video games.

Ken

Yurt said:
As soon as you start skipping stuff (in any game really) you should just take a break. You'll come back sooner or later.
After finishing chapter 4 I took a week-long break from Alice. I guess I needed a much longer break but I really wanted to see the ending so I could highlight all the black bars in the thread.

Edit: Just finished. 89% completion. Is there any way to see play through time?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I need to get out of work so I can get back to this. I made some progress on the first wonderland level last night, and the art was blowing my fucking mind. It seems like a pretty nice port, too, once you fix the framerate.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Amir0x said:
god that
sidescrolling section is so cool
in chapter 3. I keep swooning.

I loved it too. I wonder if it would work for a whole game? Well, a downloadable title at any rate. Though I think I just love the visual design, I don't know if the gameplay in that section could hold itself for several hours. They would have to mix it up a lot. At least here it didn't outstay its welcome.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:
god that
sidescrolling section is so cool
in chapter 3. I keep swooning.

Since McGee signed with Popcap already and Spicy Horse will most likely never work on a console game again (let face it, this game will bomb hard in sales), these kind of games on iOS platforms from the team will be a good alternative I guess :(

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The whole intro to the fourth chapter,
up in the clouds, leaping from card to card, with that somber melody playing over and over.
Super pretty.

I'm really loving this game, guys.

Totobeni said:
yeah Bumby was a real shit fuck,what he did to Alice's Family, what he did to her sister and other kids is just disgusting ( rape children,brainwashing them, sell them later as insane sex slaves, make sure Alice is crazy so no one believe her )he is one of the most evil phsycho manipulating villain ever
, anyway the way the game handled the subjects of
Sexual slavery,child prostitution and pedophilia
was actually unique and done very well since almost no one dare to touch or mention these kind of stuff in video games.

Yeah it was subtle enough that one of my friends who finished the game a day ago didn't even realize
Bumby was a pedophile
, though that more likely than not has more to do with him rather than the game.

The bigger conversation going on is whether or not
Alice actually killed Bumby. I took the ending to mean that Alice had finally waded through Bumby's brain washing to discover the truth about her families death's. In the process, however, she had gone mad and can no longer parse the real world from wonderland.

It would explain why she still has hair despite being shaven in the asylum, also how despite being a skinny and relatively small girl she managed to kill Bumby super easily. That entire sequence smacked of wonderland wish fulfillment to me.

Of course this game will sell like shit and there's no hopes for a sequel any time soon at least, maybe ever. So we may never know for sure. Hope whatever they make with popcap is cool...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just finished the first level, wow, that was long. The design can be a bit inelegant at times, but overall it has been a very captivating game so far. And to think I wouldn't even know of it if it wasn't for you guys.

Awesome.

leng jai

Snuggler said:
I see there is DLC that unlocks new dresses, so it's not available on PC? This shit again, EA? Really?

sigh

Search the thread, theres a post showing you how to unlock them for free by editing an ini file

Snuggler said:
I see there is DLC that unlocks new dresses, so it's not available on PC? This shit again, EA? Really?

sigh

You can unlock the DLC costumes on PC by editing "GIsSpecialPCEdition" from false to true, in the AliceEngine.ini file located in "\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config".

It was supposed to be a limited offer on EA's Origin store if I recall correctly, but anyone can get the costumes by editing that value.

Good to see you're enjoying the game, it's quite excellent! :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice, thanks guys. It's kinda funny to think that all that content was just an altered text document away. It's being sold on other platforms and not even meant to be used on PC, despite the fact that it's available but blocked out.

Goddamn.

Glad it can be liberated, though. This game is awesome and I'm hyped about new dresses.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Moaradin said:
I didn't bother unlocking them because most of the fun of unlocking new outfits for me is earning them in-game.

Oh, so they can be earned naturally? If I knew that, I wouldn't have bothered messing with that stuff. I figured it was the standard EA locked content, not Time Saver DLC.

Truant

PC version runs weird on my rig, so I sold my Origin account to a friend and got the 360 version used from Gamestop. The texture popin during the opening london scene is ridiculous. Does it get better?

Tokubetsu

Got my art book from Amazon today:
2Ou5Y.jpg

It's pretty big, I was surprised. Definitely worth the $22 I paid for it.

Tokubetsu

Amir0x said:
i am actually going to buy that art book too because this game is that awesome

so impressions of art book plz

Definitely worth it dude. It's not just straight up art either, there's a lot of info in there (more than I was expecting) and it's large. Any fan of the game would love it.

Tokubetsu said:
Definitely worth it dude. It's not just straight up art either, there's a lot of info in there (more than I was expecting) and it's large. Any fan of the game would love it.

Going to have to order this now.

Ken

legbone said:
just curious, if you use the dlc weapons (that dlc vorpal blade is badass) does it affect achievements?
No.

I wonder if there was supposed to be an achievement tied to the Royal Suit's effect such as "Complete the Game on Nightmare using only the Royal Suit" but was then removed to make space for the Alice 1 achievements.

Grisby

Yay my art book came in today.

Crazy how many designs they had for Alice. Some of them could have really changed the game a bit more. Such as one where she seems a lot older in the 'real' London times and is dressed more sleezy.

Also, her dresses were originally supposed to change based on what weapon you had equipped.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Review deadlines and long platformers don't mix.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, I'm going to grab the game on Friday I think. I've heard the combat is kind of hard, I'm really interested in it for the platforming and just visually, are there difficulty settings? Is it worth playing on an easy setting to avoid frustration? I'm not interested if it changes the platforming though.

Amir0x

Banned
I just genuinely don't understand what happened in the response to this game. Normally I can roll my eyes and be like "whatever dude that's just, like, your opinion man" even while venomously arguing against a certain point but I don't think this is the case at all with this game. I don't understand. It doesn't make logical sense. I've wrote up stuff like this:

It's more than that simple. There is a fundamental problem with the reviews that represent such a shocking disconnect from the final product we actually have here that it is almost like they are discussing a different game.

There are three problems that I think people generally agree upon even if they like the game:

1. The lock-on is finicky
2. The checkpoints are wildly inconsistent
3. That are some minor technical problems like texture pop-in and such and low-res textures here and there; typical UE3.0 stuff.

However, as for the rest? It's actually astonishing to me HOW good it is. Biggest surprise of the year. This year's Arkham Asylum. The platforming mechanics are really solid, Alice feels fantastic to control. This is the most important part of any platformer and they nailed it. The combat was a big surprise. At first it starts as your typical hack/slash snore fest and then opens up as enemies get defenses, you have to constantly switch your weapons about and they throw unique and compelling combinations of enemies at you which has you really just mad dashing from weapon to weapon to break down defenses. It's pretty decent for an action platformer combat system, which is also remarkable since that's rare enough.

There's a level of mechanical platforming design that occasionally gets a little repetitive, and it's obviously not a Nintendo platformer in terms of level design, but for the most part it's engaging, just challenging enough and always throwing in enough new mechanics for you to keep interested. Lots of moving platforms, platforming where you have to keep ahead of the darkness or else risk being killed, etc. Good stuff all around.

Then there's the art design which makes every new chapter a joy to play. Every room and location has something entirely fascinating to look at. There's stunning cutscenes. There is occasion to go a little too gothic grim on us, but overall there is so much color and personality and general effort put into every aspect of the visual design that it's an extremely impressive final impact.

And there's lots of little things to collect and you can go over to a NG+ I've heard. And with an average of 12~15 hours of gameplay, it's quite long too. On Nightmare which I'm playing it on the difficulty in battles is quite good, so the playtime lasts even longer.

It's just alarming how far off the mark critics are with this game. What they've said about the core of the game is not only just a difference of opinion, it's mostly almost uniformly incorrect about it.

But that is a reflex to what occurred. I don't actually understand HOW someone can play this and think it's anything but a really good effort, even if they have those problems I mention (the same as I do). It's designed in such an impressive fashion and games like this are so rare. It's an old school 3D platformer but with a new school sensibility of how to approach the mechanics. When you play through the title it just dawns on you that the people who made this game must have really liked making it. It feels that way. It's always jumping off its toes and reaching to some new idea remixed from some old one.

StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, I'm going to grab the game on Friday I think. I've heard the combat is kind of hard, I'm really interested in it for the platforming and just visually, are there difficulty settings? Is it worth playing on an easy setting to avoid frustration? I'm not interested if it changes the platforming though.

There are difficulty settings. I started on the hardest with Nightmare and don't find it too difficult. I've died like four times.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
The combat is fun. On normal it is never unfair, I never died, but I could have if I wasn't paying attention (and not in the modern version of "normal" where not paying attention means actually putting the controller down, I mean not paying attention to the wonderful enemy attack cues, which include sound-effects, time-distortion and, obviously, animations). I think the combat balance is as good, if not better, than the platforming. The emphasis on dodging and defense versus mashing buttons goes a long way.

Upgrade the pepper-grinder gun before anything else.

So the game won't load for me. My PS3 says it's Alice and when I go to start the game it just stays on a black screen with the yellow and green lits on the bottom of the PS3 going crazy.

Ken

StuBurns said:
There are difficulty settings.

The combat is challenging at first and maybe a little frustrating because of the somewhat loose lock on system, but once you get used to it, figure out how best to approach the different types of enemies, and start getting multiple weapons, the combat becomes manageable and not too difficult.

Top Bottom