• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Donthizz#

Thanks Gaf for recommending this game, just finished Chapter 3 and got stuck on chapter 4, will try to finish the game later..Kudos to whoever created the art its beautiful!

Grisby

StuBurns said:
Thanks guys, I'll go with normal.

I'm not trying to be pro gamer here, and I did die once or twice, but on normal I didn't' find it difficult.

You have to have crowd control and not be afraid to abandon the lock on button.

hlhbk

For those who remember or don't I had an ATI 5850 with a 8600GT for physx processing. I wanted better FPS's in games that used physx, so I put my old 8800GTX in for physx only. In Alice I see no improvements. If I use the gun my FPS drops to the 20's on medium physx with everything on high at 1920x1200.

Yet if I go to other games such as Batman AA which I could only run the game on medium physx and crank it to high and max everything out I get 60 FPS at 1920x1200 which never happened before.

In short unless there is a work around for the gun what a horrible implementation of physx on Alice.

JRW

hlhbk said:
For those who remember or don't I had an ATI 5850 with a 8600GT for physx processing. I wanted better FPS's in games that used physx, so I put my old 8800GTX in for physx only. In Alice I see no improvements. If I use the gun my FPS drops to the 20's on medium physx with everything on high at 1920x1200.

Yet if I go to other games such as Batman AA which I could only run the game on medium physx and crank it to high and max everything out I get 60 FPS at 1920x1200 which never happened before.

In short unless there is a work around for the gun what a horrible implementation of physx on Alice.

Ive heard other people complain that Alice isnt using dedicated physx properly, I have a GTX 260 in another PC here I could try running it as the dedicated physx card along with my GTX 480 to see if it helps PhysX performance, I played from start to finish with PhysX on High (GTX 480 doing everything + physx) and I did see it drop into the 25 fps range occasionally (heavy battles + the pepper grinder seem to be worst offenders) but otherwise usually maintained 60fps (1920x1080 / Vsync & Anti aliasing enabled / i7 920 @ 3.6ghz).

I'll most likely give it a try tomorrow.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hlhbk said:

The gun kills my framerate. With AA on, Phys X at medium and running it at 1080p, the game runs at 60fps most of the time but drops to 20 or even less when I'm firing the gun. This is with a GTX460.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Grisby said:
Yay my art book came in today.

Crazy how many designs they had for Alice. Some of them could have really changed the game a bit more. Such as one where she seems a lot older in the 'real' London times and is dressed more sleezy.

Also, her dresses were originally supposed to change based on what weapon you had equipped.

Dammit, I'm still waiting for my signed artbook to ship :< But according to the response I got from the customer support at the Alice 2 store yesterday, my order should be shipping within 24 hours. Hm..

Grisby

Oh, I did watch Tim Burton's movie btw and while there were a few nicely shot scenes I have to agree with most people calling it plain, or soulless. Maybe thats a harsh word but the whole thing felt devoid of a pulse.

The CG also had a soft look to it, which at times made it look a little out of place. That was a classic example where the story was complimenting the CG, not the other way around.

Did anyone get this strange bug of "someone" appearing during the sequences where you control the doll head?

3263b845.jpg

Strangest bug I've encountered. Well the only one really.

Donthizz# said:
Thanks Gaf for recommending this game, just finished Chapter 3 and got stuck on chapter 4, will try to finish the game later..Kudos to whoever created the art its beautiful!

The art director should be given a medal. I ADORE the art direction in Alice.

finished. this game's a gem - not quite psychonaut-level demented, but more than demented enough. super-cool heroine, well told story, gorgeous, hallucinatory landscapes, some mind-bogglingly memorable (beginning of chapter 4) set pieces, & tons of collectables that're actually worth collecting...

preferred the first, third (my favorite), & 5th chapters, myself. please do buy & enjoy this excellent, beautiful game...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Square Triangle said:
Just finished Chapter 2.
That whole end scene was freaky as fuck. All of the dead peoplefish and then being eaten.

It was kinda hinted at in one of the posters in London :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:
goddamn chapter 4 goddamn

how can anyone give this game anything but a rave report!?

Weak platforming and not good use of 3D space according to this crazy dude

Metro UK said:
Compared to the average Super Mario game, with its magic mushrooms and giant shifting game worlds, Madness Returns just doesn't seem to be trying hard enough. The level design is far too conventional, with a poor use of 3D space, and just making uglier and/or more sexualised versions of all the familiar characters gets old very quickly.

Cons: The platforming is extremely weak, both in design and mechanics, and the whole game is far too repetitive and predictable - not to mention long.

Score: 4/10

lolz

It's sad that these professional reviwers now gave all the developers and publishers a warning saying" if you make a 3D platformer we will shit all over it, don't do it" , instead of fighting the good fight and encourage these kind of games that bring the old magic and soul of games.

Wait for David Cage's Alice made by Ninja Theory (QTE shooter ) it will automatically get 9000% at Metacritic and will be game of the forever for these joke reviewers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Picked this up for $35 at Kmart today. I'm working through a lot of games right now but I figured that it was a good deal, even though I won't get to it for a bit. This has had my interest for a while.

Square Triangle said:
So the game won't load for me. My PS3 says it's Alice and when I go to start the game it just stays on a black screen with the yellow and green lits on the bottom of the PS3 going crazy.
This started happening to me too. I checked gamefaqs (yeah, I know...) and it's happening to other people too. I have an old 60GB PS3 and was wondering if that is the problem. The first time it happened, I deleted the game data, and it worked immediately after that. The second time it still wouldn't load up until the 5th or 6th try. I'm not sure if I should try to exchange it for another copy or if it's not a problem with the disc...

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm on chapter five right now and it's almost like playing through an old Tool video. So awesome / creepy / wtf.

AwRy108

RoboPlato said:
Picked this up for $35 at Kmart today. I'm working through a lot of games right now but I figured that it was a good deal, even though I won't get to it for a bit. This has had my interest for a while.

Exact same situation. My concern is, b/c I love platformers, I see this game pulling me away from games that hold the "long-standing" status in my backlog.

leng jai

I honestly don't see why you're so surprised Amirox. I could easily see a lot of people I know bored to shit with this game, and I don't think your average reviewer these days is much different from them.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
For the sake of devil's advocacy, Alice doesn't have particularly adventurous or interesting level design (not to be confused with environment design), nor does it make good use of 3D space. It's fair to call it overextended, too, although personally I think the languorous pacing is a big part of the experience.

Calling the mechanics bad is bonkers, though. The only problem is that you don't really need to use them to their fullest outside of Chapter 5.

Great game so far. My only comment is that the Alice in Wonderland theme was more of a detriment than an asset.
it seems like most of the chapters have little to do with wonderland in the first place- underwater and far east to be exact.

semiconscious said:
finished. this game's a gem - not quite psychonaut-level demented, but more than demented enough. super-cool heroine, well told story, gorgeous, hallucinatory landscapes, some mind-bogglingly memorable (beginning of chapter 4) set pieces, & tons of collectables that're actually worth collecting...

preferred the first, third (my favorite), & 5th chapters, myself. please do buy & enjoy this excellent, beautiful game...

The beginning of chapter 4 is fucking incredible looking.

JohngPR

Tokubetsu said:
Definitely worth it dude. It's not just straight up art either, there's a lot of info in there (more than I was expecting) and it's large. Any fan of the game would love it.

I'm STILL waiting for the Alice 2 store to ship....what gives?

:(

EDIT: Nevermind, it shipped!! Yay!

StuBurns

Banned
Just picked it up, looking forward to playing it. I wanted to vent about the box a little though. I know it's money saving, but I feel like giving you a plain white interior with an awful looking booklet is really uncool. It feels cheap. And certainly with a game as nice artistically as this it's a shame. It's a little thing, and not worth getting irritated about, but it's unfortunate.

InVinoVeritas said:
This started happening to me too. I checked gamefaqs (yeah, I know...) and it's happening to other people too. I have an old 60GB PS3 and was wondering if that is the problem. The first time it happened, I deleted the game data, and it worked immediately after that. The second time it still wouldn't load up until the 5th or 6th try. I'm not sure if I should try to exchange it for another copy or if it's not a problem with the disc...

not sure if you read my second post on this but I had BG&E HD downloading in the background and I paused the download and the game worked fine. idgi.

StuBurns

Banned
This game make a very good first impression. Moving around town the performance was really rough, I was pretty concerned, but once in the game it's fine. It looks nice too.

It doesn't seem that adventurous, maybe that was what the press was disappointed by, but it feels great, and so far it's a lot of fun.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:
Just picked it up, looking forward to playing it. I wanted to vent about the box a little though. I know it's money saving, but I feel like giving you a plain white interior with an awful looking booklet is really uncool. It feels cheap. And certainly with a game as nice artistically as this it's a shame. It's a little thing, and not worth getting irritated about, but it's unfortunate.

EA (like UBI) is going to abandon paper manuals, more games will be like this in the future. :(

StuBurns said:
It doesn't seem that adventures, maybe that was what the press was disappointed by, but it feels great, and so far it's a lot of fun.

Well it's not an adventure game ( Zelda, Conan, Darksiders..ect) it's a 3D platformer.

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
Well it's not an adventure game ( Zelda, Conan, Darksiders..ect) it's a 3D platformer.
I meant adventurous in terms of it's design, risky might have been a better word given the genre connotations I guess.

Square Triangle said:
not sure if you read my second post on this but I had BG&E HD downloading in the background and I paused the download and the game worked fine. idgi.

Oh I didn't notice your post, thanks I'll give that a shot. I read on another forum that people who had dynamic themes activated found that when they switched to a static theme, the game started up fine. Weird stuff...

Just got the Art book in the mail. It's amazing. I'm kinda sad that alot of the cool ideas couldn't make it in the game. There were originally more boss fights like with the dutchess cook, a giant jabba the hutt looking Mr.Toad, etc. and whatever happened to that fight with the giant steampunk snail that was used as the first piece of art to go along with the press release?

This game make a very good first impression. Moving around town the performance was really rough, I was pretty concerned, but once in the game it's fine. It looks nice too.

It doesn't seem that adventures, maybe that was what the press was disappointed by, but it feels great, and so far it's a lot of fun.

If that's the case, the press should be a lot more disappointed with many other titles, who are neither unique in game-play design or aesthetic.

Though, a game doesn't need to have unique game-play to be great or to get a great critical reception. So I really don't think that was a factor in why the reviews are as off base as they are.

It's a very well designed 3D platformer, a rarity these days. The fact that that's so is a shame, but I doubt critics knew what to make of it. That's why you get "would be hilarious if they weren't so sad" review quotes like the ones in this thread.

For the sake of devil's advocacy, Alice doesn't have particularly adventurous or interesting level design (not to be confused with environment design), nor does it make good use of 3D space. It's fair to call it overextended, too, although personally I think the languorous pacing is a big part of the experience.

Calling the mechanics bad is bonkers, though. The only problem is that you don't really need to use them to their fullest outside of Chapter 5.

Alice does have interesting level design, combat scenarios mapped out across differing degrees of verticality, playing into the range and tactics you need to engage enemies. Hidden paths you need to seek out that often have interesting platform sequences, as well as collectibles. Alice's levels aren't just aesthetically pleasing, they're also fun to play.

As far as handling 3D space is concerned, how does it not use 3D space well? It uses 3D space well for all it's platforming sequences, many of which are outstanding. (especially in chapter 5)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:
I am going to be very sad when this experience is over

what a wonderful, wonderful game. 8.5 final score

Enjoy what left of the game,it's most likely the team last console game, since they signed with Popcap to make iPhone games and stuff.

Anticitizen One said:
Just got the Art book in the mail. It's amazing. I'm kinda sad that alot of the cool ideas couldn't make it in the game. There were originally more boss fights like with the dutchess cook, a giant jabba the hutt looking Mr.Toad, etc. and whatever happened to that fight with the giant steampunk snail that was used as the first piece of art to go along with the press release?

Alice 1 got criticized heavily because of the boss fights ( especially Jabberwocky and Queen fight) so I think that why they didn't want boss fights here.

Speaking of the Art book, there are many little sweet things, like They wanted to make more "events" in London, not only that but platforming level based on London ( Page 68 and 69 ) but I guess that didn't work with the story,also in Page 50 the first Alice 3d model was made by Epic Game China,it look really old 3D render like from 2005 or something, maybe McGee wanted to work with Epic China before he opened Spicy Horse.

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
Enjoy what left of the game,it's most likely the team last console game, since they signed with Popcap to make iPhone games and stuff.
I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on iOS, I have an iPhone and love it, but that's very disappointing news.

Played more of the game, so good. Now she's wearing some slick jellyfish looking dress.

Amir0x

Banned
it's ok iOS is garbage. And that pretty much ensures they'll be relegated to making fourth tier games for the rest of their lives.

Such a sad story :(

Yurt said:
Wait for the ending.

Eh like all games the story does nothing for me as it carries all the typical game storytelling problems. I hope it has a nice cutscene though. The cut out style they have is very attractive.

StuBurns

Banned
Wiki says they have a dedicated subsidiary 'Spicy Pony' for their cell phone offal. Seems like SH will still be working on major projects based on wiki.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:
Wiki says they have a dedicated subsidiary 'Spicy Pony' for their cell phone offal. Seems like SH will still be working on major projects based on wiki.

I really doubt that..

American McGee's Shanghai-based Spicy Horse studio has secured $3 million in investment and is currently working on a project with PopCap Games' Shanghai studio. Gamasutra reports that Spicy Horse, which has finished production of Alice: Madness Returns for EA, will focus on "3D social, online games" going forward. McGee detailed some of this for us in an interview a couple months back.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/13/spicy-horse-receives-3m-in-funding-working-with-popcap/

The entire studio going for online games (browsers based ) and iOS casual games from now on. :(

StuBurns said:
Played more of the game, so good. Now she's wearing some slick jellyfish looking dress.

<3 jellyfish dress, love the little "tail" which is the lure appendage of one of those deep sea fish with the scary teeth.

Top Bottom