• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The game is a great piece of art even with the flaws it has. Nice gameplay with interesting storytelling in a well rounded package.

The artbook is magical!

Worth picking up? I got a coupon from ebgames for my birthday and i can get the game for 28 dollars. I've been on the fence since release, but I really want to try something different.

Ken

samus4ever said:
Worth picking up? I got a coupon from ebgames for my birthday and i can get the game for 28 dollars. I've been on the fence since release, but I really want to try something different.
Yes.

Ok so I beat the hell out of this game on ps3 but im thinking about getting the PC version as well. I own the 2011 21' imac its sandy bridge quad core and it has a mid range ATI card. If I play Alice on it will I see a noticable graphics improvement? I know i won't be able to run the heavy physX stuff but im wondering about overall graphics.

Totobeni said:
Alice 1 got got criticized heavily because of the boss fights ( epically Jabberwocky and Queen fight) so I think that why they didn't want boss fights here.

That's lame there was nothing wrong with the bosses and they were creepy and helped to break up the platforming/action segments. The only boss that was annoying was the centipede.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just beat it. Loved, loved, loved this game. Not without its faults but the platforming was fun and precise, combat was great, aesthetics were out of this world. Chapter four and five were especially brilliant.

Kinda want to pick up the artbook now. Usually not into that sort of thing, but I want more.

I'm going through the original game first and I have to say it's not terrible. It's not great, of course because the combat is horrible and the controls feel dated. The first boss fight was pretty good, though. Also, I actually like the graphics, but I'm a bit of a sucker for the polygonal look on some older games. I still have a long way to go, but I'll continue.

How much of a difference can I expect going from the original to Madness Returns in terms of combat?

painey

^ I dunno.. im playing the first one before I start the proper game and im finding it horrible,.. i dont remember it being so bad when i played it on the pc all those years ago.

JohngPR

Combichristoffersen said:
Good to hear. Finally we'll both be able to jack off to fawn over the awesome Alice art :D

No, you had it right the first time. :p

According to USPS.com, it's already in Orlando. Hopefully I get it with tomorrows mail.

So I finished the game tonight and overall I really enjoyed it. Sure the levels go on a bit too long, but it only bothered me in chapters 3 and 5 because of their respective minigames. I'm no platfoumer fan so I doubt I could talk at depth about the game, but it was incredibly enjoyable. Mostly because of how easy it was to do. The controls were pretty great if you ask me. Normamly in these types of games beyond just jumping around I just have a problem with keeping the character on the edges because they feel way to responsive or something. Something about Alice makes this never happen, I never feel like if I just move the wrong way for an instance bad shit will happen. I don't know the game just feels great.

As for the combat, I thought it was great. Hectic at first, but then you realize how all the weapons work in battle. They compliment each other and can serve several functions. So it makes them fun to use and the game really does avoid being a repetitive slash affair thanks to the options the weapons give.

Just a really good game.

StuBurns

Banned
I just played the first
---2D---
part, I really enjoyed it, I was concerned it'd suck because of how bad they are in another recent EA title.

I'm kind of pissed at GameTrailers for their review video, they showed massively too much of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
I just played the first
---2D---
part, I really enjoyed it, I was concerned it'd suck because of how bad they are in another recent EA title.

I'm kind of pissed at GameTrailers for their review video, they showed massively too much of the game.
Gametrailers have been like this for over five years. You really only have yourself to blame. :p

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
Gametrailers have been like this for over five years. You really only have yourself to blame. :p
I don't think it's usually as egregious as it was in this case, maybe I'm wrong. Although I was excited a while back, when the reviews came in I didn't care that much. I don't watch them if I'm sure I'm going to buy something.

So yeah, I am to blame really. For shame I say.

I have to say, wondering around old kookie London is very awesome. I wish someone would make a whole game like that. I've always wanted a game that looks like Tom Traubert's Blues sounds.

JohngPR

StuBurns said:
I don't think it's usually as egregious as it was in this case, maybe I'm wrong. Although I was excited a while back, when the reviews came in I didn't care that much. I don't watch them if I'm sure I'm going to buy something.

I've stopped watching any of their video reviews because they've spoiled stuff for me time and time again. Not sure why they do that. :(

Grisby

StuBurns said:
I just played the first
---2D---

I never watch GT until I finish the game, or I am in dire need of some convincing.

I agree about your first statement too, that section was awful in the other game, ;). Way more tolerable in AMR.

JohngPR

It's here! :)

2h7kuib.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
JohngPR said:
No, you had it right the first time. :p

According to USPS.com, it's already in Orlando. Hopefully I get it with tomorrows mail.

:lol

Glad to see you've received it. It was the signed edition, right? My package is still in transit, I guess it'll get here sometime next week (usually takes ~7 days to ship from the US to Norway).

TehOh

After finishing and loving Madness Returns, I thought that I'd go back and give the original a try.

Ugh.

It's really awful. I played through the end of the first part (the mines), but I think I'm done.

JohngPR

Combichristoffersen said:
:lol

Glad to see you've received it. It was the signed edition, right? My package is still in transit, I guess it'll get here sometime next week (usually takes ~7 days to ship from the US to Norway).

Yea, that was really fast. Surprised I got it this fast considering it was shipped via USPS. At least it's packaged well so it should make its way to Norway safely. :)

Also, yes it came signed.

Kind of wish it had some kind of message like, thanks for your support...or thanks for being an Alice fan...but it's still cool.

American McGee and Ken Wong have doctor signatures, LOL:

im5aw8.jpg

Azure Phoenix said:
Glad to see it's well packaged, I've got one of those signed limited edition Vale of Tears Lithographs on order and a bubble envelope to the UK would not be appreciated.

Yep, it had a sheet of that bubble wrap you see in the picture on top of it and thick recycled paper to fill the gaps in the box. It was packaged well. :)

StuBurns

Banned
Does anyone know for sure either way if the platforms with hearts on in chapter three are a reference to the companion cube?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
StuBurns said:
Does anyone know for sure either way if the platforms with hearts on in chapter three are a reference to the companion cube?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. They definitely looked similar. I'm curious if it was on purpose.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:

It is, btw there is also Raz (Psychonauts) cameo in Chapter 4.

RadioHeadAche said:
How much of a difference can I expect going from the original to Madness Returns in terms of combat?

Day and night.

StuBurns

Banned
That's awesome, I only caught them in passing playing earlier, I didn't really take a hard look. Very cool. I'm not on chapter four yet, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

OK, I just completed the first three chapters. Before I post impressions, I just have to ask, is every chapter as long as the first three were? Especially ch 3. Surprisingly long game.

StuBurns said:
I don't think it's usually as egregious as it was in this case.

I have to disagree with you. Tales of Vespera review literally had the final battle in it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Trent Strong said:
Well, story-wise the ending kind of sucked, and I don't understand what happened at the very end. Still a fantastic game though.

Alice killed the rapist pedophile piece of shit Doctor Bumby in the real world, but then went completely insane ( the real world merged with her imaginary world-wonderland in her mind) most likely because of the shock.

And yeah, it's the surprise game of this year.

FateBreaker said:
OK, I just completed the first three chapters. Before I post impressions, I just have to ask, is every chapter as long as the first three were? Especially ch 3. Surprisingly long game.

Chapter 3 is the longest one, but Chapter 5 is kinda as long.

Totobeni said:
Alice killed the rapist pedophile piece of shit Doctor Bumby in the real world, but then went completely insane ( the real world merged with her imaginary world-wonderland in her mind) most likely because of the shock.

And yeah, it's the surprise game of this year.

Chapter 3 is the longest one, but Chapter 5 is kinda as long.

But the doctor seemed to see Alice's dress transform and a key appear in her hand. He had a shocked look when the transformation happened. And then he just allowed this girl, who he outweighs by like 80 pounds, to casually push him in front of a train and he offered no resistance. It was strange.

Impressions:

Chapter 1: Wow. Wow, wow, wow.
Chapter 2: Whoa, this is new. I love it. *hours later* ... these fetch quests are really arbitrary-feeling.
Chapter 3: loved the
2D
bits. loved the beginning area. it felt like it kinda dragged on, though, and some of the gameplay really started being repetitive and predictable.

This is a great game that is definitely better than what critics say; however, I do see where some of the issues come in. Some of the level design is predictable, not challenging, and redundant. Sprinkled throughout this, though, is some GREAT level design. I do like their attempts at variety (
2d, music games, puzzle games, city life
). The story is definitely intriguing, and the music and art direction are the stars of the show.

The design is old, and sometimes that's bad, but oftentimes it's nice because we get so little of this nowadays as a full retail release. I think Super Meat Boy killed it for me, though, considering that is the supreme masterpiece of platforming (in my opinion). Overall I am definitely enjoying it though; it is pretty addicting. I always want to see what's next.

How would you guys rate the chapters? For me, ch 1 > 2 > 3. Let's see how 4 is.

Truant

The Hatter chapter doesn't do this game justice. So generic and ugly unless you're outside. Chapter 2 is just amazing so far.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Trent Strong said:
But the doctor seemed to see Alice's dress transform and a key appear in her hand. He had a shocked look when the transformation happened. And then he just allowed this girl, who he outweighs by like 80 pounds, to casually push him in front of a train and he offered no resistance. It was strange.

He just saw the weird look on her face and eyes there was no "transformation" he saw, and he didn't allow her to kill him,she just went near him and pushed him ,he didn't know what she want to do and was not prepared since he don't know if Alice can actually kill(for real), ...and well an old teenager can push a skinny man into the train, and weighs difference mean nothing really when adrenaline and insanity kicks I guess.

FateBreaker said:
Are there 5 or 6 chapters in the game?

Yes, but Chapter 6 is more of an epilogue more than real chapter.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:
How long is chapter four? I might do it tonight, or leave it for tomorrow, depends on how long it is.

as long as Chapter 1 I guess.

But you know the game do auto save, just stop at any checkpoint and it will bring you back to it next time you boot the game.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Chapter four felt shorter than two, three and five.

It's also probably the best chapter.

Top Bottom