• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

StuBurns

Banned
Turned out I'd already done chapter four, played some of chapter five, the end must be near, but there's really no indication it's building to anything. Chapter four had a much bigger sense of urgency.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Square Triangle said:
Omg that
side scrolling 2d part in Chapter 3 <333

Should be on-rails turret section in Afghanistan....

j9buY.jpg

now this what the reviewers/critics really want.

I really was digging this game at first but now it's starting to feel a bit tedious at around chapter two.

I'm not generally one to complain about repetitive gameplay (I am a Musou fan after all) but something about it has got be bored of it at this point.

Maybe this is a game you need to play in very short sessions? I dunno.

All right, finished chapter 4. You guys are indeed correct: that is the best chapter. I wish they expanded that first and last part more, though. Either way, awesome scenery, and it didn't feel as redundant as ch 3 did.

EDIT: I am considering going through the original Alice before continuing with Madness Returns. Does anyone know how long the original is in comparison to the sequel?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FateBreaker said:
EDIT: I am considering going through the original Alice before continuing with Madness Returns. Does anyone know how long the original is in comparison to the sequel?

McGee'sd Alice is like 12+ hours game.

Not sure why you want to do that ( there is a full recap text for the first game in AMR) I'd say just finish Madness Returns, then go play McGee's Alice.

Nemesis_

Totobeni said:
McGee'sd Alice is like 12+ hours game.

Not sure why you want to do that ( there is a full recap text for the first game in AMR) I'd say just finish Madness Returns, then go play McGee's Alice.

It's definitely not 12 hours when I played through it. I listened to all the voicework and cutscenes too....

EDIT Well, I mean it took me less than twelve hours.

After finishing the original, I really didn't feel the recap was sufficient enough, to be honest. Though I read into the original's story much deeper than I was meant to, I think.

I do think that the original game has not aged well at all and it's actually really strange feeling - these weird dead feeling landscapes. It's a reminder of what gaming used to be like and just how far it's come. (or fallen if you're a different person)

StuBurns

Banned
Finished it. I liked it a lot. It didn't end at it's best, which is always a shame, and I was disappointed we never got
platforming in London,
but overall I loved it, with the exception of Portal 2 it's my favorite game this year so far, very surprising.

It actually has me wanting another 3D platformer, I guess the next high profile one is Sly 4, that's a while away yet.

StuBurns

Banned
semiconscious said:
i've opted for the obvious 'replay':

http://www.cheatcodesgalore.com/playstation2/games/Psychonauts/Psychonauts-s0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I just replayed it a couple of months ago, I'm hoping now they have the publishing rights we'll get a HD port on PS360 and I'll play it again there.

Just tried Alice 1, every bit the clunky poo I remember. I was hoping they'd have ported the work that went into the canceled Xbox port but it looks like they've just used the PC version.

2zguohf.jpg

34zi05k.jpg

I'm loving the Alice merchandise!

i'm glad to see as well that in my enforced vacation a bunch of new people took a risk on this game based on the word of mouth. i'm unsurprised to see everyone pretty much enjoyed it.

Stu, yeah, i'm thinking Portal 2, then this, so far as best games this year.

I will be sharing a picture of that other Alice merchandise I bought, when my wife isn't feeling unwell.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
StuBurns said:
I just replayed it a couple of months ago, I'm hoping now they have the publishing rights we'll get a HD port on PS360 and I'll play it again there.

Just tried Alice 1, every bit the clunky poo I remember. I was hoping they'd have ported the work that went into the canceled Xbox port but it looks like they've just used the PC version.

PC version ;)

confuziz

Banned
plagiarize said:

i'm glad to see as well that in my enforced vacation a bunch of new people took a risk on this game based on the word of mouth. i'm unsurprised to see everyone pretty much enjoyed it.

I will be sharing a picture of that other Alice merchandise I bought, when my wife isn't feeling unwell.

Jesus christ that stuff is amazing!

P.S, lol @ HTC phone though =P

StuBurns said:
It's an option certainly, but I'd rather play it on a console.
Alice 1 wasn't really designed for a controller. just as i'd recommend playing Madness Returns on a pad, i'd recommend playing Alice on mouse and keys.

edit: face slap. you're talking about Psychonauts.

in which case yeah, pad works great on PC.

RPGCrazied

I got this for my Birthday today! It was listed as $59.99 at the store, but it rang up $40. I'm not complaining. :) Please tell me this game has no screen tearing though? I'm seeing that A LOT lately in PS3 games, its such a turn off.

Azriell

I really wish the first game was sold separate on XBLA, and contained it's own achievements. Given that the achievements are tied to Madness Returns though, I seriously doubt the game will be sold separately (unless it's on Xbox Originals, since those don't have achievements, although I actually don't know if the first one came out on consoles), which sucks because this looks like something I'd be more likely to pick up 6 months from now off amazon for $20.

Bought this as a birthday gift to myself yesterday. I couldn't resist the attractive price point, and I'm so glad this came to consoles; I grabbed the PS3 version. Otherwise I never would have played it. I guess it goes without saying but God damn I love the art style.

StuBurns

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I got this for my Birthday today! It was listed as $59.99 at the store, but it rang up $40. I'm not complaining. :) Please tell me this game has no screen tearing though? I'm seeing that A LOT lately in PS3 games, its such a turn off.
There is screen tearing, not much of it though.

The performance for the first ten minutes is really rough for some reason, then it's fine.

Grisby

plagiarize said:

That's a sexy blade mister.

RPGCrazied

Is the dress pack worth it? Can you get those dresses in the game at all? If not, I guess I'll buy it soon.

Only $2, why wouldn't I? lol

Grisby

RPGCrazied said:
Is the dress pack worth it? Can you get those dresses in the game at all? If not, I guess I'll buy it soon.

I bought them. For 2 bucks you get like 6 or 7 dresses with unique abilities. Some even change Alice's model. Plus, you get some weapon skins. I'll use them on a replay.

Much better then Dead Space's 5 dollar suits.

StuBurns

Banned
RPGCrazied said:

You get different dresses over the course of the game, they're designed to visually fit in with the theme of the environment. They also have different properties and you can change them.

No idea about the DLC, but I can't imagine it's worth buying.

RPGCrazied

StuBurns said:
You get different dresses over the course of the game, they're designed to visually fit in with the theme of the environment. They also have different properties and you can change them.

No idea about the DLC, but I can't imagine it's worth buying.

Oh, so you get different ones in the game? Well then, maybe I won't. Thanks for the fast reply dude. :)

StuBurns

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Oh, so you get different ones in the game? Well then, maybe I won't. Thanks for the fast reply dude. :)
Here are the DLC ones...

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/a.../a-2011061610313666049/g-20090219142848842036

I'm not seeing the appeal myself. Their effects seem pretty cool though, Late but Lucky especially.

EDIT: I'm confused actually, I thought Late but Lucky was the shrink vision at all times, but that's Caterpillar. No idea what "the power of shrinking violets" means then.

StuBurns said:
Here are the DLC ones...

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/a.../a-2011061610313666049/g-20090219142848842036

I'm not seeing the appeal myself. Their effects seem pretty cool though, Late but Lucky especially.

EDIT: I'm confused actually, I thought Late but Lucky was the shrink vision at all times, but that's Caterpillar. No idea what "the power of shrinking violets" means then.
you heal all the time, like when you are shrunk and inside one of the flowers that heal you.

those flowers you can stand in heal you

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:
you heal all the time, like when you are shrunk and inside one of the flowers that heal you.

those flowers you can stand in heal you
Mind blown. I just go in them to grab the two teeth they give out.

I picked this up at Gamestop (bad idea) last week on 360 for $60. Went back
Yesterday to see that the price dropped.
It isn't a bad game, just nothing exciting. The platforming
Is about as bland as it can be. Mindlessly jumping from platform to platform with the occasional invisible platform. The combat is a little obnoxious because some enemies make you wait for them to attack so you can counter their attack
and break their defense and when four other enemies are attacking at the same time, it is kind of hard to do. The upgrade system is pretty basic. I'm not even completely sure what all the upgrades do.
The story is okay and the cut scenes that seem to be made out of paper
are somewhat interesting.
Right after I finished Alice I loaded up my XBLA copy of Psychonauts and proceeded to be happy.

GWX

Baggatoast said:
I picked this up at Gamestop (bad idea) last week on 360 for $60. Went back
Yesterday to see that the price dropped.
It isn't a bad game, just nothing exciting. The platforming
Is about as bland as it can be. Mindlessly jumping from platform to platform with the occasional invisible platform. The combat is a little obnoxious because some enemies make you wait for them to attack so you can counter their attack
and break their defense and when four other enemies are attacking at the same time, it is kind of hard to do. The upgrade system is pretty basic. I'm not even completely sure what all the upgrades do.
The story is okay and the cut scenes that seem to be made out of paper
are somewhat interesting.
Right after I finished Alice I loaded up my XBLA copy of Psychonauts and proceeded to be happy.

why... why do you write like this?

Varna

GWX said:
why... why do you write like this?

He is right about the platforming. It never really gets interesting. The last two chapters have some decent segments, but that's about it. I mentioned it earlier, but 20 minutes into the original Alice and you encounter jumps and puzzles far beyond anything in this game.

GWX

Varna said:
He is right about the platforming. It never really gets interesting. The last two chapters have some decent segments, but that's about it. I mentioned it earlier, but 20 minutes into the original Alice and you encounter jumps and puzzles far beyond anything in this game.

Yeah, I kinda agree. I have only played the two first chapters, and it has been pretty monotonous so far. I actually meant the way he wrote the post, the formatting and such.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RPGCrazied said:
Is the first one worth playing? I mean, I guess so, it has trophies at least.

It's an OK game, but the controls and combat are both kinda.. not very good, to be brutally honest. Very clunky combat and controls makes the game kinda annoying to play, but it should still be played if only to see all the amazing visual designs.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
plagiarize said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2zguohf.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/34zi05k.jpg[IMG]

[spoiler]I will be sharing a picture of that [b]other[/b] Alice merchandise I bought, when my wife isn't feeling unwell.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

*brofist*

Waiting for my Vorpal Blade, t-shirt (same as yours, even) and art book to arrive. The merchandise for this game is awesome.

Narcosis

Does anyone else playing on PS3 have the first Alice glitching frequently? I've had the game freeze my console once and several instances of not accepting control inputs anymore or doing things I didn't even do, like suddenly move backwards non-stop or move my reticle to the ceiling and not accept me trying to push it back down.

StuBurns

Banned
Narcosis said:
Does anyone else playing on PS3 have the first Alice glitching frequently? I've had the game freeze my console once and several instances of not accepting control inputs anymore or doing things I didn't even do, like suddenly move backwards non-stop or move my reticle to the ceiling and not accept me trying to push it back down.
I broke it almost instantly. There was a cutscene and I noticed pressing X still made her make the jump sound so I hammered it and the sound died.

RPGCrazied

Narcosis said:

I don't know if it was a glitch, but my controller was running out of battery, I plug in the cable, and the light starts flashing. I tried to turn off my PS3 and it beeped at me twice and the red light flashing on the console. I had to unplug the system and plug it back in. Then it seemed fine.

Are you getting FPS problems too?

Narcosis

StuBurns said:
I broke it almost instantly. There was a cutscene and I noticed pressing X still made her make the jump sound so I hammered it and the sound died.

I guess a confirmation of a half assed console port then? I think I'm just gonna start on Madness Returns anyways. I'm finding that even when it's not glitching the first Alice is not well suited to a gamepad at all and it's just an exercise in futility any time I encounter those floating ghouls that blow winds of death on you.

StuBurns

Banned
Narcosis said:
I guess a confirmation of a half assed console port then? I think I'm just gonna start on Madness Returns anyways. I'm finding that even when it's not glitching the first Alice is not well suited to a gamepad at all and it's just an exercise in futility any time I encounter those floating ghouls that blow winds of death on you.
It's a bad port technically no question, I saw it range from 60 to more like 20fps in the first fifteen minutes. And it's not even a good game. I say skip it, Alice 2 is awesome.

Top Bottom