• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

DMczaf

So Alice 1 is still not available for purchase? I remember it was a preorder bonus for Madness Returns, but I figured EA would just put it for sale for $15 a couple of weeks after release.

WTF.

Lime

DMczaf said:
So Alice 1 is still not available for purchase? I remember it was a preorder bonus for Madness Returns, but I figured EA would just put it for sale for $15 a couple of weeks after release.

WTF.

Yeah, it really does not make any sense. And the "Complete Edition" that includes the original is basically just an extra folder entitled Alice1, so I don't see the hassle of including it. I mean, the console versions all have it.

Pretty lol by EA to make it impossible to buy the old Alice.

Why the fuck do I randomly lose the ability to use my sword and lock on to enemies at some point near the end of chapter 1? I should have known better than to buy something from EA and expect it to be anything other than a buggy piece of shit.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This game is SO GOOD, I'm so glad right now I picked it up. Loved the first one back in the days, but this one is just plain amazing.

Veal

I'm having a strange issue at the moment. In the area where you get the umbrella, there's a tutorial telling you to press "E" to use the umbrella to defend. The problem is, I've been using a controller to play the game and there's no binding for the umbrella! What's going on?

Tenck

Gvaz said:
The huge image isn't bothering me, that shitty compression is.

Haha, yeah imgur compresses real nicely!

Trying to find a site that wont compress images so badly for future use.

Loving this game. I am currently at the spot where you first run into the "eye pots" after destroying the 1st one I get my ass handed to me by the others.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
leng jai said:
So good I bought two copies.
Combichristoffersen said:
There's some really amazing concept art in there. I pre-ordered it before release and got a signed copy *smug*

Just ordered it. :) I was hoping the soundtrack would be on CD, but alas, it's strictly digital.

I also considered picking up the console versions of the game, but that'll have to wait.

mantidor

Ok this is ridiculous, another bug, and a pretty big one, the freaking umbrella doesn't work, at all. The work-around, reset bindings to defaults, sorry but that wont do at all, I use a left handed configuration. This is getting to my nerves, what a crappy buggy game, did it have any testing at all before release?

mantidor

doesn't work, with new binds, with the default keys, with focus and without, it just doesn't work at all.

edit: and I tried the workaround changing the default input file, no dice, this sucks.

edit2: finally, crappy workaround, but it works, set to defaults and dont bind the umbrella block key, you can bind anything else but not this one. The umbrella now works with "E", sucks because is far away from my normal configuration in the numpad, but what else can you do.

There is also the annoying bug that backwards movement doesn't work with numpad 5 which is the one I use and I have to manually set it everytime I start the game, but I'll live with that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This is by far my favourite game for this year. Maybe even for the last 5 years. And I'm still not through with it.

Huge spoiler maybe:
The Asylum part (the first one, dunno if more will follow, but I guess so) totally got me. Also, the queen. Also EVERYTHING FREAKING ELSE

Really, anyone who likes videogames in the slightest has to play this game. And everyone who liked the first one and still didn't buy this needs to be ashamed of himself! So good.

It's really awesome to see, people continuing to get into this game even this long after the release. Spread the word to your friends everyone! Get working on that cult status!

Inkblot

Really enjoying this game too

2011-10-25_00025.jpg

2011-10-27_00017.jpg

pbouzaid

Neo Member
I'm loving this game, except the freeze or pause the game does every few minutes is pretty damn annoying. Any solutions to fix that or is it a DRM "feature" I'm stuck with?

Trumpets

Finished this a few days ago, and while I still think it's a poor man's Psychonauts (similar themes, less imaginative, less well written), I was really enjoying it by the end. It certainly makes a change from soldiers shooting each other.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
pbouzaid said:
I'm loving this game, except the freeze or pause the game does every few minutes is pretty damn annoying. Any solutions to fix that or is it a DRM "feature" I'm stuck with?
I think thats not DRM issue its UE3 streaming problem

cj_iwakura

Game is gorgeous so far. Got it for '$20' thanks to Target's 'B1G1' offer.

Seems like there's almost too much to do. Does the game let you backtrack to previous areas to gather memories and such that you missed?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
cj_iwakura said:
Seems like there's almost too much to do. Does the game let you backtrack to previous areas to gather memories and such that you missed?

You can do that any time you want by going to the chapters menu

Bufbaf said:
This is by far my favourite game for this year. Maybe even for the last 5 years. And I'm still not through with it.

Huge spoiler maybe:
The Asylum part (the first one, dunno if more will follow, but I guess so) totally got me. Also, the queen. Also EVERYTHING FREAKING ELSE

yeah the asylum section was like American McGee's Silent Hill,freaking awesome.

rezuth said:
Wow, these chapters are pretty long. One of few games that really gives you value for the money.

..and yet games reviewers said it was a bad thing :|

Haunted

Bought it and played the first tutorial level in Wonderland.

Art direction is great, jumping feels good, combat is a bit wonky. The City didn't look so hot, but once you actually enter Wonderland, it's great.

Eager to play more when I'm done with Dark Souls.

edit: and I like the fluid physics and their attempt at giving them actual physical presence in the game. Not sure how much they're experimenting with that during the game, but I hope there's more of that coming. A "weird" game like this is uniquely positioned to push this stuff and really run away with it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
felipepl said:
This game is meant to be played in 3D on the PC.
Really all kinds of awesome.

Not sure about 3D, but the first section of Chapter 4 was meant to be played during and after sex. :p

Haunted said:
Bought it and played the first tutorial level in Wonderland.

Art direction is great, jumping feels good, combat is a bit wonky. The City didn't look so hot, but once you actually enter Wonderland, it's great.

Just focus locking on to an opponent, as soon you learn that well the combat will be pretty cool.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
EchosMyron1 said:
I thought the combat was challenging and awesome.
even after the teapot
Loved that shit.

Yeah it's very good, some people are having problem with the lock on system or don't know best ways to use it I guess.

Totobeni said:
Yeah it's very good, some people are having problem with the lock on system or don't know best ways to use it I guess.

I remember a while back someone said that, when locking on, the camera would focus on Alice instead of the enemy, so in certain strafing situations it would give an inopportune view of the enemies. I went in the game to try and have that happen, sure enough when I tried hard enough I could see what the guy was talking about. Even then, though, all I needed to do to overcome that, was to break the lock for a second, adjust the camera, then re-lock.

So I get it when people say that there are problems with the lock on system, but they're kind of trivial and very specific. As well as easy to get around, I mean breaking a lock just means taking your finger off the shoulder button for a second.

Hey guys, I just watched some of the beginning of this game and it looks really interesting. The art style reminds me a lot of Tim Burton, though I'm sure that's been mentioned before. It's really interesting, very grim, but also awesome to look at.

It's around 18 quid on Amazon, so I might pick it up.

JaseC

The English Conquistador said:
Hey guys, I just watched some of the beginning of this game and it looks really interesting. The art style reminds me a lot of Tim Burton, though I'm sure that's been mentioned before. It's really interesting, very grim, but also awesome to look at.

Don't hesitate.

Gvaz

Banned

It was like $15 usd on steam the other week.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

My GOTY , the surprise of the year and best 3d platformer this year ( and this gen on 360/PC/PS3) ..get it NOW

JaseC said:
Don't hesitate.

btw was the Artbook you got from Amazon damaged in it's cover ? ( there was a problem some months in the books -damaged shipment I guess- ago when I got mine) just wanted to know if they are fine now.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Buy it. However great Uncharted 3 will be, Alice will most likely still end up being my GOTY.

Thanks for the all of the replies guys. Yup, I think I'll get it via Steam then. I was gonna use the money on Uncharted 3, but it can wait for now.

I love games/films where everything is not as it seems. Psychological thrillers and such, so this should be a nice change from all the other games I've played.

Plus Alice looks fantastic, as well as the Cat. Really creepy vibe to him, but I like the way he looks. Them big grinning teeth. :)

Cheers all!

I shall come back and give my thoughts once I've bought it which should be this week.

Hixx

Got this from Lovefilm the other day and wow. Only finished Chapter 1 and bar one or two frustrating fights the game is great. Watching Alice's hair animate is weirdly fascinating too. The only problem I have is that the textures are pretty awful which in the grand scheme of things is quite a small complaint.

Those snake things in crates etc annoy me though, they seem to pop out every time I forget to use the bombs :(

JaseC

Totobeni said:
btw was the Artbook you got from Amazon damaged in it's cover ? ( there was a problem some months in the books -damaged shipment I guess- ago when I got mine) just wanted to know if they are fine now.

I'm still waiting for the order to arrive (I'm in Australia). It was dispatched almost 6 days ago now, so the package should be here by Friday. Rest assured I'll bump this thread when the art book shows up on my doorstep.

pakkit

Banned
After defeating Bioshock 2, I decided to keep with the creepy but beautiful games and bought Alice: Madness Returns. I'm not really a fan of the original, but I'm getting heavy MDK2 vibes from the platforming (so many of the reviews described the level design as "empty." "Vast" seems to be the word they were looking for.) and the combat seems competent, and visually it reminds me of my favorite last-gen platformer, Psychonauts.

Also, I can already tell that those damn pigs are going to annoy the hell out of me until I figure out where they're coming from.

Even though they're not action heavy, or even gameplay heavy , the real world sequences have been the most interesting for me. The world reminds me, in part, of Caroline or James and the Giant Peach, and slowly walking along the linear path (in first person) interacting with every person and object I can greatly adds to the story. I like how Spicy Horse has gone about it too, being relatively bare-bones with the exposition and relying on the user to be smart and figure it out, instead of the hand-holding that usually dominates video game narrative. That said, I do miss the more talkative Alice and Cheschire Cat from the original.

I'm only one and half chapters in, but I don't see this staying in my backlog for long. :)

Sinthetic

My girlfriend bought me it for the 360 this weekend, it's not going to be opened till Christmas.

Really excited about sitting by the Xmas tree now, no wait, I'm not 5. ;O

mantidor

Finished with mixed feelings.

I'd say overall I did enjoy it and was pretty much what I expected, but the funny thing is that I was hoping for more content and at the same I thought some parts just dragged for too long. Its obvious the game had a lot of things cut from the final product, and some parts felt like they were unnecessary forced extensions, puzzles and platforming got repetitive really easily.
I would have loved a hellish train platforming level though
. The game is really buggy though, not being able to bind keys properly made the experience subpar, and I really see where all those low reviews come from.

The story was really great though, but again, once it got actually interesting, it got cut and rushed into an anticlimatic ending. Very disturbing, creepy, and while great I saw it as a big potential wasted, precisely because it felt rushed.

As great as it was, I really don't feel like replaying it any time soon to unlock all I got left behind, I did want to try the crazy dresses but for some reason I couldn't.

pakkit

Banned
This game truly runs the gamut when it comes to texture quality/room diversity. Some levels are constantly throwing new eye candy at you, whilst others are more content to let you slowly but surely work through the game.

This isn't a game that you can marathon. The core elements, as good as they are, can get very repetitive.

Just starting the forth chapter....that music at the beginning of the level is SUBLIME.

Tenck

768F87A0AFA30318525D09987892BDD40DB25A4E

Sorry about shitty compressed image :/

If there's one thing I sometimes hate about this game is the absurd amount of enemies.

I love it because it gives you a challenge!

But when you're awake at 7:56 am you really can't put up with too much stuff :lol

It's taken me 20 minutes to try and beat that little segment. I've died 3 times already!!

I know I'll laugh at myself when I beat it and say, "Wow I loved the challenge that gave me!" But until I beat it, I will say "Fuck you teapots and menacing ruins!"

Carnby

I like it when I see this thread bumped. It reminds me how much I loved this game. Ironically I have posts in this very thread saying how crappy the game is. But the longer I played it the more I realized just how much was put into the game. Each stage is so different from the other, and the mini games are (usually) great.

Also, chapter 4 is incredible. The graphics are some of the best I have seen. I loved how that stage's mini game was introduced.

JaseC

JaseC said:
I'm still waiting for the order to arrive (I'm in Australia). It was dispatched almost 6 days ago now, so the package should be here by Friday. Rest assured I'll bump this thread when the art book shows up on my doorstep.

I'm still waiting. :(

Tenck said:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649870992043713761/768F87A0AFA30318525D09987892BDD40DB25A4E/
Sorry about shitty compressed image :/

If there's one thing I sometimes hate about this game is the absurd amount of enemies.

I love it because it gives you a challenge!

But when you're awake at 7:56 am you really can't put up with too much stuff :lol

It's taken me 20 minutes to try and beat that little segment. I've died 3 times already!!

I know I'll laugh at myself when I beat it and say, "Wow I loved the challenge that gave me!" But until I beat it, I will say "Fuck you teapots and menacing ruins!"

If that's the same one that also had me stumped for a good while (and I believe it is), take comfort in the fact it's the hardest - but not the last - Red Rose battle arena in the game. Later arenas are easier since the enemy difficulty doesn't scale up in parallel with your weapon upgrades.

jaekwon15 said:
I like it when I see this thread bumped. It reminds me how much I loved this game. Ironically I have posts in this very thread saying how crappy the game is. But the longer I played it the more I realized just how much was put into the game. Each stage is so different from the other, and the mini games are (usually) great.

Also, chapter 4 is incredible. The graphics are some of the best I have seen. I loved how that stage's mini game was introduced.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Famassu

So... Chapter 2, just after (spoiler tags just in case, no story-related spoilers or really too many spoilers at all)
I've been actually able to fight & kill a Drowned Sailor, in the cemetery...

What the hell am I supposed to do? I enter the cemetery and a few of those teethy fishes and another (unkillable) Drowned Sailor appear, but I can't go anywhere. There seems to be a gap in the wall, which the game shows when I enter the cemetery, but I can't get Alice to jump through it and I can't break the wall either. I kill the fishes but then the Drowned Sailor just stays as a ghost and keeps throwing bombs at me. I tried to have the Sailor throw bombs at different spots. I've tried to comb the place for things I might be able to break or that would do... anything to help me progress, but I just haven't found anything. Is the game glitching me from killing the Sailor which would then open up at least one of the two gates or am I just blind or dumb (or both) since I can't figure what to do? I died a couple of times to the Sailors off-screen bombs and still couldn't kill the Sailor when loading from the last checkpoint, so if it's a glitch it's a persistent one.

pakkit

Banned
plagiarize said:
Tenck, that's easily the hardest part of the game.
No it's not, keep dodging and maintain your distance till the invisible timer runs out. Those challenges were easily exploitable.

@Famassu:
You can kill every drowned sailor you encounter. Use the Pepper gun to shoot the bombs out of his hands to stun him, and then wail on him till he gets back up. Rinse, repeat.

Top Bottom