• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens and UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

noonjam

User error. Just because you have advanced tech doesn't mean the man (or whatever) behind the wheel so to speak can't have a brain fart, or get distracted or a million other things that can cause an accident.
wZrB0UQ.jpg

Last edited:

Romulus

News maybe. But not all news aligns with reality,

And no, not the US president saying something. An objective third party showing something would go a long way though.

But then I could just say it's a government psyops conspiracy "distraction."

You seeing something means what exactly? How is your brain going to discern alien tech without some other human telling you what you're seeing? What perspective to you have living on earth for your entire life to be able to even understand something created in another galaxy by another civilization?

"The alloy is constructed of X, Y, Z. We've never seen anything like it!" -Science community.

How do you know that for certain?

Because someone told you. But you don't really know them, so you'll be trusting someone that is telling you to trust their resume.
And to boot scientists have been wrong throughout history. Just 130 years ago the best scientists in the world said flight was impossible.

And even if it was legit, I can always argue it's some secret human technology and it couldn't be disproved outside of some ridiculously unlikely scenario like an archeological dig find, but I can pick that apart too.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

But then I could just say it's a government psyops conspiracy "distraction."

You seeing something means what exactly? How is your brain going to discern alien tech without some other human telling you what you're seeing? What perspective to you have living on earth for your entire life to be able to even understand something created in another galaxy by another civilization?

"The alloy is constructed of X, Y, Z. We've never seen anything like it!" -Science community.

How do you know that for certain?

Because someone told you. But you don't really know them, so you'll be trusting someone that is telling you to trust their resume.
And to boot scientists have been wrong throughout history. Just 130 years ago the best scientists in the world said flight was impossible.

And even if it was legit, I can always argue it's some secret human technology and it couldn't be disproved outside of some ridiculously unlikely scenario like an archeological dig find, but I can pick that apart too.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
True, but dont you think that spaceship technology that can go that far at presumably insane speeds or some other massively advanced technology are a bit more advanced than cars? we crash cars because the technology in cars isnt that great (its getting better with self driving cars and at some stage cars may no longer crash (or extremely rarely)). So you'd think that this massively advanced technology would be good enough to simply not crash, so, no, I dont personally think its a dumb argument.

When we do eventually go to Mars etc. we'll still be way way behind technologically than these craft and I dont expect us to crash into Mars.

We have no idea where these things--if they are indeed "things"--are coming from; we have no idea what their strengths or weaknesses are, and we have no idea how or why they crashed.

And while it might be fun to play the role of Science T. Smug when we read something we find to be illogical, we're completely in the dark on all of it.

Last edited:

mopspear

Riiiighhht. So alien race, stupidly advanced, travels billions of miles with technology for that to happen, so much so that we are the equivalent of cave men, and we shoot it down risking a war with said alien race? If that's the case then we deserve to get wiped out due to sheer stupidity.
birds take down commercial airliners by existing and caveman got them beat at least by a little

tommolb

Just because we can build cars, which are crazy to ants, doesn't mean we don't crash them.

Same with spaceships.

This is really the dumbest argument Ive ever read.

An ant would look at a human car crash and say "lmao so they can make cars but cant keep them from crashing? "
The same person said that even if we assume the same UFO crash ratio as people in cars, that would mean there are hundreds/thousands of UFO visits to the planet every day.... if that were the case we'd all have noticed them rather than the occasional blurry photoshopped image, wonky video recording and nutjob claiming he was abducted to get his 15 minutes of fame. Nothing I have seen or heard so far convinces me aliens are visiting this planet and I am a believer that life evolved on other planets in this solar system, not just in other solar systems.

And I don't believe there is a worldwide government conspiracy to cover UFO's up, as no government is that competent.

If governments had recovered UFO's we'd have had revolutionary inventions coming out of know where in the last 50 years or so. ....look folks a fully working Fusion Reactor... hey look a flying car.... hey look FTL spaceships....

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There was a news topic a few weeks ago from a sceptic that basically argued that if advanced alien civilizations were flying light years to Earth, why are they so bad at parking that they keep crashing? They had a point.

That's not a good argument. The premise is that as the technology is so advanced then it should have a 0% failure rate, which is a very weak argument to make.

Technology today is much more advanced from the technology we were using in 1960s, yet our technology still fails.

Even then I'm just assuming a crash was caused by a malfunction. Could be an error with the pilot. We have pilots today who make errors and crash, even with hundreds or thousands of hours of experience.

justonething

Jada's BFF
That's not a good argument. The premise is that as the technology is so advanced then it should have a 0% failure rate, which is a very weak argument to make.

Technology today is much more advanced from the technology we were using in 1960s, yet our technology still fails.

Even then I'm just assuming a crash was caused by a malfunction. Could be an error with the pilot. We have pilots today who make errors and crash, even with hundreds or thousands of hours of experience.
Going from sticks and stones to a car is a speck of dust in terms of magnitude of advancement compared to going from a car to light speed travel. I don't know how you think it's reasonable to compare faults in monkey technology to faults god-tier technology. It's clear you have no idea how impossible it is to even comprehend light speed travel.

IDKFA

Going from sticks and stones to a car is a speck of dust in terms of magnitude of advancement compared to going from a car to light speed travel. I don't know how you think it's reasonable to compare faults in monkey technology to faults god-tier technology. It's clear you have no idea how impossible it is to even comprehend light speed travel.

I disagree.

Neolithic man wouldn't be able to comprehend our technology. A car or jet plane would be like encountering a God.

However, we can comprehend FTL travel. An Alcubierre drive is a good example of how we can envision FTL travel thanks to our understanding of physics, something that Neolithic humans wouldn't be able to comprehend. FTL travel isn't some god-tier technology, but it is way beyond our capabilities currently.

I'm not comparing faults in our technology with faults in hypothetical alien tech. I'm simply calling out the poor premise of the original argument.

justonething

Jada's BFF
I disagree.

Neolithic man wouldn't be able to comprehend our technology. A car or jet plane would be like encountering a God.

However, we can comprehend FTL travel. An Alcubierre drive is a good example of how we can envision FTL travel thanks to our understanding of physics, something that Neolithic humans wouldn't be able to comprehend. FTL travel isn't some god-tier technology, but it is way beyond our capabilities currently.

I'm not comparing faults in our technology with faults in hypothetical alien tech. I'm simply calling out the poor premise of the original argument.
Anything you show to a neolithic man would be incomprehensible. By your logic of there should be no limit to what we are able to do, including reviving the dead. I mean, we have cryonics right???? Now tell me why thinking that because we can cure certain cancers, the dead can be revived is ridiculous, it's the same reason why thinking that because "we can make cars and helicopters then FTL travel should be possible" is ridiculous. I brought this up not because I think FTL is impossible, but because you're seriously downplaying the magnitude of breakthroughs that would be necessary like I pointed out we only have a spec of dust of progress in that direction. And to think a civilization would be make all those breakthroughs including the fact that it's just flat out a paraodixical feat and space is filled with difficult to manoeuvre obstacles even at normal speed and probably millions of times more difficult at FTL speeds, with celestial bodies, microscopic debris, space-time ripples, solar radiation, interplanetary and interstellar gas and dust, so to be so advanced enough that it's able to conquer all those obstacles in space and reality, only to be put to halt by something on Earth is just laughable and it surprises me this would even need to be explained to some people.

Absolute horseshit:

Capable of transcending paradoxes but pilot still a retard/slipped up or tech malfunctioned like we do on Earth after making it through all that, yeah sure buddy. I got a galaxy to sell you too, hit me up in the DMs.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Anything you show to a neolithic man would be incomprehensible. By your logic of there should be no limit to what we are able to do, including reviving the dead. I mean, we have cryonics right???? Now tell me why thinking that because we can cure certain cancers, the dead can be revived is ridiculous, it's the same reason why thinking that because "we can make cars and helicopters then FTL travel should be possible" is ridiculous. I brought this up not because I think FTL is impossible, but because you're seriously downplaying the magnitude of breakthroughs that would be necessary like I pointed out we only have a spec of dust of progress in that direction. And to think a civilization would be make all those breakthroughs including the fact that it's just flat out a paraodixical feat and space is filled with difficult to manoeuvre obstacles even at normal speed and probably millions of times more difficult at FTL speeds, with celestial bodies, microscopic debris, space-time ripples, solar radiation, interplanetary and interstellar gas and dust, so to be so advanced enough that it's able to conquer all those obstacles in space and reality, only to be put to halt by something on Earth is just laughable and it surprises me this would even need to be explained to some people.

Calm yourself and go back to the original argument.

The argument is that if these are aliens with technology that allows them to travel the galaxy, then the idea of their craft crashing is in your own words "laughable".

However, to make such a conclusion you would need reems of evidence to back this up. Just saying that they're technology is far more advanced means it would have a 0% failure rate only works if you know exactly what this technology is.

So please, explain how this technology is manufactured and how it would have a 0% failure rate. If you cannot do so then the argument is flawed.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Calm yourself and go back to the original argument.

The argument is that if these are aliens with technology that allows them to travel the galaxy, then the idea of their craft crashing is in your own words "laughable".

However, to make such a conclusion you would need reems of evidence to back this up. Just saying that they're technology is far more advanced means it would have a 0% failure rate only works if you know exactly what this technology is.

So please, explain how this technology is manufactured and how it would have a 0% failure rate. If you cannot do so then the argument is flawed.
It's nice that you're cherry picking things out of my response to make yourself look less dumb. Now we're going to have to play a game of "this is what you said, this is what I said" because you're too intellectually dishonest.
So please, explain how this technology is manufactured and how it would have a 0% failure rate.
Where did I say it would have a 0% failure rate? I didn't make that blanket statement anywhere. You mentioned a scenario, and I broke it down for you as to why it's stupid and unlikely, and none of that mentioned anything about a "failure rate".
No, you absolute liar, I didn't say that. You think an alien civilization can build a craft that travel FTL through space, only to crash when entering earth. And I clearly explained why that's absurd. I'll dumb it down with an anology for you since you're being dense and purposefully dishonest, it's like witnessing an Olympic-level gymnast flawlessly execute a series of intricate flips and twists on the uneven bars, only to faceplant embarrassingly while trying to step off the mat. Believing that an alien craft capable of interstellar travel and FTL speeds would crash on Earth, despite successfully maneuvering through countless cosmic hazards, is pure nonsense and garbage. Are you going to address this or come up with a new lie to tell me I need to prove?

You: Aliens can travel FTL and then crash on earth - perfectly reasonable
Me: No, that's fucking stupid heres why...
You: Here's these things you didn't say, prove them whilst I ignore what you actually said
Me: You're a dishonest liar, here's why...

IDKFA

It's nice that you're cherry picking things out of my response to make yourself look less dumb. Now we're going to have to play a game of "this is what you said, this is what I said" because you're too intellectually dishonest.

Where did I say it would have a 0% failure rate? I didn't make that blanket statement anywhere. You mentioned a scenario, and I broke it down for you as to why it's stupid and unlikely, and none of that mentioned anything about a "failure rate".

No, you absolute liar, I didn't say that. You think an alien civilization can build a craft that travel FTL through space, only to crash when entering earth. And I clearly explained why that's absurd. I'll dumb it down with an anology for you since you're being dense and purposefully dishonest, it's like witnessing an Olympic-level gymnast flawlessly execute a series of intricate flips and twists on the uneven bars, only to faceplant embarrassingly while trying to step off the mat. Believing that an alien craft capable of interstellar travel and FTL speeds would crash on Earth, despite successfully maneuvering through countless cosmic hazards, is pure nonsense and garbage. Are you going to address this or come up with a new lie to tell me I need to prove?

You: Here's these things you didn't say, prove them whilst I ignore what you actually said

Irrational anger isn't helping your argument.

Calm yourself and let's start again.

Let's start with a simple question, and please try to answer in a calm and rational manner.

Why is it impossible for a hypothetical alien craft to crash on earth?

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
Irrational anger isn't helping your argument.

Calm yourself and let's start again.

Let's start with a simple question, and please try to answer in a calm and rational manner.

Why is it impossible for a hypothetical alien craft to crash on earth?
More hypocritical tone policing and straight up lies because you couldn't handle you've been exposed and won't dare address that. You're a low grade Narcissist.

Last edited:

IDKFA

More hypocritical tone policing and straight up lies because you couldn't handle you've been exposed and won't dare address that. You're a low grade Narcissist.

I'm not sure how I've been exposed?

We can't make a claim that's it's impossible for alien craft to crash on earth when we know nothing about the technology involved.

If you can answer my previous question in a rational manner then maybe we can have a polite debate about it. Otherwise we'll just call it a day. It wasn't my intention to upset you and I certainly don't want to upset further.

justonething

Jada's BFF
I'm not sure how I've been exposed?

We can't make a claim that's it's impossible for alien craft to crash on earth when we know nothing about the technology involved.

If you can answer my previous question in a rational manner then maybe we can have a polite debate about it. Otherwise we'll just call it a day. It wasn't my intention to upset you and I certainly don't want to upset further.

You specifically stated a "FTL" craft. YOUR ANSWER IS IN ALL OF MY POSTS.
HERE
And to think a civilization would be make all those breakthroughs including the fact that it's just flat out a paraodixical feat and space is filled with difficult to manoeuvre obstacles even at normal speed and probably millions of times more difficult at FTL speeds, with celestial bodies, microscopic debris, space-time ripples, solar radiation, interplanetary and interstellar gas and dust, so to be so advanced enough that it's able to conquer all those obstacles in space and reality, only to be put to halt by something on Earth is just laughable and it surprises me this would even need to be explained to some people.
And Here
You think an alien civilization can build a craft that travel FTL through space, only to crash when entering earth. And I clearly explained why that's absurd. I'll dumb it down with an anology for you since you're being dense and purposefully dishonest, it's like witnessing an Olympic-level gymnast flawlessly execute a series of intricate flips and twists on the uneven bars, only to faceplant embarrassingly while trying to step off the mat. Believing that an alien craft capable of interstellar travel and FTL speeds would crash on Earth, despite successfully maneuvering through countless cosmic hazards, is pure nonsense and garbage. Are you going to address this or come up with a new lie to tell me I need to prove?

Then you asked me for evidence for claiming such a craft would have to have 0% failure rate, which I didn't say and you STILL have not shown me where I said that. And instead of addressing anything, you just tell me I need to "prove how it's impossible" - I don't need to prove anything, I just need to debunk your nonsense claims, which I clearly have. That's how the burden of proof concept works.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You specifically stated a "FTL" craft. YOUR ANSWER IS IN ALL OF MY POSTS.
HERE

And Here

Then you asked me for evidence for claiming such a craft would have to have 0% failure rate, which I didn't say and you STILL have not shown me where I said that. And instead of addressing anything, you just tell me I need to "prove how it's impossible" - I don't need to prove anything, I just need to debunk your nonsense claims, which I clearly have. That's how the burden of proof concept works.
Let me jump in here to try and clarify. You never said these crafts have 0% failure rate but you're also claiming the notion of a craft that can travel FTL crashing is absurd. So what exactly is your position? Try to reply calmly without the histrionics.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Let me jump in here to try and clarify. You never said these crafts have 0% failure rate but you're also claiming the notion of a craft that can travel FTL crashing is absurd. So what exactly is your position? Try to reply calmly without the histrionics.
How exactly is it incomptabile? Try to reply calmly without lying, tone policing or violating the principles of critical thinking. Your hypthetical craft can trascend the paradoxes of travelling at the speed of light and traverse the universe filled with difficult to manoeuvre obstacles which even at normal speed would be impossible, and probably millions of times more difficult at FTL speeds, with celestial bodies, microscopic debris, space-time ripples, solar radiation, interplanetary and interstellar gas and dust. It happens to never fail through all of that, yet when it hits earth, oh boy, it's failed. Never did I say it has a 0% failure rate, it can fail, but you're the one making the claim or siding with the position that it somehow doesn't fails in the most likely situation - traversing Earth, but ends up failing in the least likely instance which is where it has the least obstacles, variables and complexities to navigate - that is ridiculous. The burden of proof is on you for making the claim that this is somehow possible.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
How can we be certain that these alien assholes are not prone to mishaps, even before they reach Earth? Given that their technology appears ‘god-like’ from our perspective, is it not plausible they could still encounter obstacles, such as colliding with celestial bodies during faster-than-light travel? Is it not possible that their advanced technology, by its very nature and design and stresses they are subjected to, is susceptible to malfunction, and not all vessels reach their intended destinations like Earth? And the fact that they manage to reach Earth, across these unfathomable distances and paradoxical timeframes, is an amazing feat on its own but not without significant consequences to the vessel and its occupants?

They may accomplish impressive feats, but does this necessarily exempt them from potential issues or failures? This is all speculative, since our understanding remains limited without concrete evidence.

tl;dr: Maybe it's not that easy for them either.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
How exactly is it incomptabile? Try to reply calmly without lying, tone policing or violating the principles of critical thinking. Your hypthetical craft can trascend the paradoxes of travelling at the speed of light and traverse the universe filled with difficult to manoeuvre obstacles which even at normal speed would be impossible, and probably millions of times more difficult at FTL speeds, with celestial bodies, microscopic debris, space-time ripples, solar radiation, interplanetary and interstellar gas and dust. It happens to never fail through all of that, yet when it hits earth, oh boy, it's failed. Never did I say it has a 0% failure rate, it can fail, but you're the one making the claim or siding with the position that it somehow doesn't fails in the most likely situation - traversing Earth, but ends up failing in the least likely instance which is where it has the least obstacles, variables and complexities to navigate - that is ridiculous. The burden of proof is on you for making the claim that this is somehow possible.
So it can fail it just can't crash on earth that is your position?

justonething

Jada's BFF
So it can fail it just can't crash on earth that is your position?
Anything can happen, I could have sex with Jessica Alba tomorrow. I'm not saying your FTL craft invulnerable to cosmic hazards and paradoxes can't crash on Earth, I'm saying I don't know how that would be possible in light of what you're saying it can do, and why you think it's likely enough to be meaningful probability in any way.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Anything can happen, I could have sex with Jessica Alba tomorrow.
That's quite a choice she has herpes but that's neither here nor there. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not kink shaming. You're not helping your argument any just because it's improbable that you'll have sex with an std laden former celebrity doesn't mean its impossible.

Last edited:

Romulus

Wasn't there an astronaut that flew to the moon then came home and killed himself by hitting a pole in his car? Lol, ex fighter pilot and space craft pilot dies driving a car that normal people do every day.

And Ryan Graves said their f18 squadron saw unidentifiable objects every day for years, so yeah, it doesn't seem isolated off the coasts.

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
Wasn't there an astronaut that flew to the moon then came home and killed himself by hitting a pole in his car? Lol, ex fighter pilot and space craft pilot dies driving a car that normal people do every day.

And Ryan Graves said their f18 squadron saw unidentifiable objects every day for years, so yeah, it doesn't seem isolated off the coasts.
You're saying that we still have car accidents despite the capacity to go to the moon, so having advanced technology doesn't make you completely prone to failing at more basic stuff, likewise it shouldn't be implausible to believe that a FTL craft would fail and crash on earth for one reason or another. The problem is, scale and level plausability and probability given you're telling me it's a FTL craft traversing the universe, so that'd mean it is inherently invulnerable and intelligent enough to navigate the quadrillion constantly varying obstacles it would encounter; thus, it cannot fail and is disaster prone to everytthing since it's constantly evading an infinite number of unpredictable disasters and events, but then getting confused as to why someone would find it weird that you think it could fail on earth. I could maybe see where you're coming from if you're example was actually comparable which in this case would be having a world with no cars or rockets ever failing in the entire history of the earth, only for that one astronaut and pilot to have the first car accident ever, but even then it wouldn't capture even a bit the magnitude of improbability that is comparable to a craft traversing the universe FTL only to crash on earth.

Romulus

You're saying that we still have car accidents despite the capacity to go to the moon, so having advanced technology doesn't make you completely prone to failing at more basic stuff, likewise it shouldn't be implausible to believe that a FTL craft would fail and crash on earth for one reason or another. The problem is, scale and level plausability and probability given you're telling me it's a FTL craft traversing the universe, so that'd mean it is inherently invulnerable and intelligent enough to navigate the quadrillion constantly varying obstacles it would encounter; thus, it cannot fail and is disaster prone to everytthing since it's constantly evading an infinite number of unpredictable disasters and events, but then getting confused as to why someone would find it weird that you think it could fail on earth. I could maybe see where you're coming from if you're example was actually comparable which in this case would be having a world with no cars or rockets ever failing in the entire history of the earth, only for that one astronaut and pilot to have the first car accident ever, but even then it wouldn't capture even a bit the magnitude of improbability that is comparable to a craft traversing the universe FTL only to crash on earth.

It's completely impossible to compare of course because we have no idea what we're dealing with, just saying it's crazy some hotshot pilot would die in a car crash going basically zero mph by comparison.

It might be like if chimps were capable of marveling at the wonders of ship sailing. Wow, humans can build vessels and sail the mighty oceans! But then we see Somali pirates crashing into tug boats and running out of gas in the middle of nowhere and all kinds of ridiculous shit. If chimps only looked at those pirates or cases of crashes, it might appear that humans are terrible sailors.

If another civilization has been coming here, it's likely been for thousands of years, the idea that we have a few crashes isn't incredible for me. Traveling through space might not be some journey that requires incredible piloting either but rather a shortcut through time and/or space. But then again the examples of crashes could easily be probes or drones from civilizations a few hundred years ahead if us. That doesn't seem impossible that it could be a one way trip by design.

Last edited:

Crayon

If the crashes are real, I think they are intentional. One way we interact with wild animals is to leave things out that they find enticing. Food, mostly. For us, technology is irresistible. When it's a crash, we'll swarm all over it with a minimum of caution.

sono

Is everyone participating tomorrow July 2 2023 on World UFO day ?

The stated goal of the July 2 celebration is to raise awareness of "the undoubted existence of UFOs" and to encourage governments to declassify their files on UFO sightings.

World UFO Day is celebrated by stirring conversations about how and why humans are not the only beings in the Universe. The WUFDO (World UFO Day Organisation)promotes various events and educational workshops with the idea of getting people to know about UFOS.

July 2 is select because it the annivesary of the original Roswell New Mexico incident

Are you even planning to go to Roswell ?

World UFO Day Activities​

1. Have a “Welcome to Earth” party​

In case you needed a reason to throw a party, there’s plenty of opportunity here. Alien and UFO costumes are simple and funny, while the food ideas are endless. Alien cupcakes with green icing, red jello with rocket ships suspended in the middle or even prepackaged moonpies are all great ideas. For an older-earthlings party, try mixing vodka, blue curacao, grenadine, cranberry juice and sours for a Purple People Eater cocktail.
  2. Do some investigative research​

There are more than enough stories, legends and actual scientific findings on UFOs and space exploration to keep you busy for a day. Use the power of the internet to separate fact from fiction, and try coming up with your own theories on whether the truth really is out there. Finish the evening by gazing up at the stars before going to bed. You never know what you might see.
  3. Have a UFO movie marathon​

Depending how far you want to go back, try watching a few UFO films from different eras. The Flash Gordon-types of the 30s were genre-defining. The Martian marauders story typical of the 50s and 60s may be a bit campy for you, but you could have some friends over to watch them a la Mystery Science Theater 3000, and let the heckling begin. Or settle in for the visually stunning films of the last few decades - take your pick, sit back, and blast off.

Last edited:
For heavens sake people, the craft are crashing because the pilot is getting sucked off in the cockpit.

Side note, some of the craft are allegedly just abandoned and recovered rather than crashing. I think this was in Grusch's interview.

Last edited:

midnightAI

And we are shooting them down
Which, imho, proves (if true) that these craft are of earth origin and not some alien craft with technology to travel faster than light across the universe.

If they were of alien origin then that would be incredibly stupid to shoot these things down even if interfering with commercial air flight. Basically, don't potentially start a war with someone vastly more technologically advanced than yourselves, they'd squash us like bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom