• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens and UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormCell

Everyone is theorizing about what they can be or how they view us, if they view us as ants or if they evolved from a cloud or whatever, but all of that has as much credence as discussing if we have free will. It's a red herring. We gotta look at it from what we know. And as far as we know, you can't travel faster than light, which makes it unlikely that it's real aliens in these ships, it's likely just some form of ship or drone sent to scout. Perhaps there are drones that monitor every major object in our galaxy.

Second, the UFO's are observing and staying at a distance at all times, but they also don't really give a shit if we see them, they just don't want to be shot down or lose these drone things to our militaries, they don't want us to get our hand on these things. They also know it's best to hide in the ocean because we can't move fast up and down in the water. They don't want us to look at their technology for some reason. That's what I take from all of this.

They don't seem to give a fuck if we know about them or not, they don't seem to give a fuck about contacting us. But then what, do these drones fly back to whatever is making them? if there are some aliens on some planet far away, are they in contact with these drones and even know we are here? are there hundreds of A.I. drones that communicate with each other and analyze us but because of the distance of the galaxy, it's gonna take time before they can send the information back to the host?

I feel like no matter what the case is, once the realization of aliens hits society, people will be terrified, and it will usher in a new era of humanity. We will have a new goal, defend ourselves, integrate this new technology into our society and military. NASA gonna go from a science organization to national security. The fear of the unknown is a powerful motivator, and know we are at the mercy of something out there would shock people. We know there are nukes out there right now but no one really cares, but if you hear a nuke has been launched and you hear it's heading towards your country, you gonna be scared out of your mind. I think that's what we are looking at if it's confirmed it's aliens and high-res footage is released to the public, it's gonna be like a nuke is coming for us all.
This is sort of the angle that has been taken by senator Harry Reid and the former head of intelligence (I forget his name). While Reid may not be totally convinced that the objects are out of this world, they all seem to think that this is a big security matter. Basically, these objects are flying all over our airspace, over our bases and our missile installations, have been known to buzz our destroyers that are out at sea, and no one in the armed services has any idea what these things are or who they belong to. The only thing substantive that we know for certain is that the objects we have encountered in the past, like in the 2004 Nimitz incident, are definitely not ours and couldn't have possibly belonged to any of our rivals. The former head of intelligence put himself on record having definitively said that. If he is a liar, then he is a liar. But if he is not a liar and he is somehow wrong, that's a whole other problem. And if he's right, then we have a really huge security issue.

We are basically two generations of Americans who have never lived in a world where there is a super power that exceeds the United States plus its allies. We don't know what it was like living in a world fearful of the Soviets gaining an upperhand that would enable them to deal a nuclear death blow to the free world. Having these objects fly freely through our airspace, restricted or otherwise, leaves us in a state of helplessness, really.

Bragr

Banned
I think that's a bit drastic, but yeah it will definitely be something to deal with. For now, there's an out if you want to escape to it. "Secret military drones bro."

It could also be that they themselves have never been there and it's just their drones or scouts.
Yeah, it is a bit dramatic, but walking outside knowing that unknown outer-planetary creatures are observing parts of the planet would be a startling thought. It's easy to discuss, dismiss and joke on the internet but it's such a different thing if it was reality. Would it feel like we are under siege? would the nations of the world focus their militaries on taking these things down? the nation that could harness such technology would advance 200 years into the future in a matter of weeks. Would it create an arms race of insane proportions? would such technology mean that we must unilaterally lock the planet down in a giant military state since terrorists could actually destroy the plant if they could get their hands on it? who knows what we are facing.

StormCell

Yeah, it is a bit dramatic, but walking outside knowing that unknown outer-planetary creatures are observing parts of the planet would be a startling thought. It's easy to discuss, dismiss and joke on the internet but it's such a different thing if it was reality. Would it feel like we are under siege? would the nations of the world focus their militaries on taking these things down? the nation that could harness such technology would advance 200 years into the future in a matter of weeks. Would it create an arms race of insane proportions? would such technology mean that we must unilaterally lock the planet down in a giant military state since terrorists could actually destroy the plant if they could get their hands on it? who knows what we are facing.
Even taking one of these things down could carry the potential to ignite a war with an unknown adversary with unknown but superior capabilities.

Bragr

Banned
Even taking one of these things down could carry the potential to ignite a war with an unknown adversary with unknown but superior capabilities.
Yeah, but we have fucking idiots like North Korea and Syria running around. I have faith that the United States wouldn't be mad enough to attack super-powerful aliens, but I'm actually not 100% sure they never would, especially if they are convinced that another nation might have done it already.

Romulus

Let's say tomorrow its confirmed. Ok, that's pretty overwhelming for alot of people. But I think one thing that would help people cope is there is alot of credible info that theyve been coming here a very long time, and if confirmation was made it gives further clarity to very old sightings. So, they've been coming here at least 100 hundreds, likely thousands and to our knowledge they haven't done anything to us.

StormCell

Let's say tomorrow its confirmed. Ok, that's pretty overwhelming for alot of people. But I think one thing that would help people cope is there is alot of credible info that theyve been coming here a very long time, and if confirmation was made it gives further clarity to very old sightings. So, they've been coming here at least 100 hundreds, likely thousands and to our knowledge they haven't done anything to us.
Yeah, but things sort of changed during World War 2, and that is undeniable. ~75 years is not much in space time for an adversary to surveil you, learn what it needs to know, and launch an attack. This is simply not something that can be taken off of the table, especially if we've already downed one of the craft and begun to digest that technology to help us close the gap.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Something is scanning nuclear bunkers for some reason

You mean UFOs?

We could speculate for days why that's happening. My guess is that they're keeping a watchful eye to make sure we don't start launching nukes at each other.

Unlikely that our primitive nukes would be any threat to them.

That is if they are aliens. I don't know what to believe any more. It feels like reality is collapsing 🤣

Romulus

Yeah, but things sort of changed during World War 2, and that is undeniable. ~75 years is not much in space time for an adversary to surveil you, learn what it needs to know, and launch an attack. This is simply not something that can be taken off of the table, especially if we've already downed one of the craft and begun to digest that technology to help us close the gap.

I think the evidence taken as a whole that they've been coming here far longer than 100 years is pretty strong. And, what would they want exactly when our own galaxy has billions of earth-like planets according to modern science?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I think the evidence taken as a whole that they've been coming here far longer than 100 years is pretty strong. And, what would they want exactly when our own galaxy has billions of earth-like planets according to modern science?
Well, if they can't travel faster than light, it's gonna take a few hundred years before they reach us to wipe us out. That the drones we see are just fast-flying robots with no weapons.

What's that theory called that everyone talks about now? that "we should have hidden" theory, that what we are witnessing now is drones scouting us so the aliens can figure out what to destroy.

That one dominant alien species will always come out the sole victor in a galaxy because it's not feasible for different lifeforms to not war at some point, and the victor will be so technologically advanced that no other advanced life forms can possibly emerge. That the dominant lifeform scouts the galaxy for life simply to wipe it out, so that they don't become technologically advanced and a future threat.

That's the fear ain't it, that for alien spacefaring lifeforms, coming across a planet like Earth is normal, and they have seen biology unfold itself so many times that they don't care. They will wipe us out just so they don't have to deal with us 1000 years down the line.

Romulus

Well, if they can't travel faster than light, it's gonna take a few hundred years before they reach us to wipe us out. That the drones we see are just fast-flying robots with no weapons.

What's that theory called that everyone talks about now? that "we should have hidden" theory, that what we are witnessing now is drones scouting us so the aliens can figure out what to destroy.

That one dominant alien species will always come out the sole victor in a galaxy because it's not feasible for different lifeforms to not war at some point, and the victor will be so technologically advanced that no other advanced life forms can possibly emerge. That the dominant lifeform scouts the galaxy for life simply to wipe it out, so that they don't become technologically advanced and a future threat.

That's the fear ain't it, that for alien spacefaring lifeforms, coming across a planet like Earth is normal, and they have seen biology unfold itself so many times that they don't care. They will wipe us out just so they don't have to deal with us 1000 years down the line.

Yeah, I just feel like that's a very human way of thinking. Better kill the emerging tribes because they might take our food if they get too big. So, the idea that the slower moving, heavy weapon assault ships coming for is also very human and scifi.
Like you said earlier, seems like they just don't give a shit about us and they're looking at nature.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah, I just feel like that's a very human way of thinking. Better kill the emerging tribes because they might take our food if they get too big. So, the idea that the slower moving, heavy weapon assault ships coming for is also very human and scifi.
Like you said earlier, seems like they just don't give a shit about us and they're looking at nature.
Well, the human way of thinking is all we have.

But yeah, I feel like either they don't give a shit or they are intently monitoring us for a reason. Hell, maybe they don't give a shit if we shoot down all the probes, maybe it's just A.I. robots that do what they are programmed to do and they mean nothing to the aliens because they have a billion of them.

Either way, it's hard not to be extremely excited and somewhat nervous for the future, I feel like this decade will be unbelievable for UFO news.

Either way, it's hard not to be extremely excited and somewhat nervous for the future, I feel like this decade will be unbelievable for UFO news.

Honestly, ufos, aliens or not, I believe that this decade is the time when our tech really begins to be like magic with how fast tech is getting.

Airola

But yeah, I feel like either they don't give a shit or they are intently monitoring us for a reason. Hell, maybe they don't give a shit if we shoot down all the probes, maybe it's just A.I. robots that do what they are programmed to do and they mean nothing to the aliens because they have a billion of them.

What if they are AI robots programmed to scout, sent around the universe a billion years ago, programmed to go on and on and on, and all the aliens who sent them have been dead for half a billion years now. And no-one knows anything because there's no-one the robots are able to send any info to and no-one there who watches the robots. They are just doing what they were programmed to do. Like, imagine us being able to send a bunch of drones that are capable in going infinitely far and stay on infinitely long. We send them, hoping that maybe our relatives 10,000 years from now might get some new info. But then we all die and the drones just continue doing what they do and eventually land on all kinds of planets.

These things have been spotted by military for many decades, in many different countries. No way many of them haven't tried to take them down many many times by now. Likely, they never succeeded, but who knows.

Airola

These things have been spotted by military for many decades, in many different countries. No way many of them haven't tried to take them down many many times by now. Likely, they never succeeded, but who knows.

One of the claims is that they absorb bullets, so if true, yeah people have tried to shoot those things down for sure.

Airola

No doubt, technology is Pandora's box, we are diving headfirst into the rabbit hole.

It's kinda like if we can imagine it, they probably have it.

That's why I at one point thought about their surveillance capabilities. If we can currently make scans through walls and track incredibly amount of things we do, they would probably have the capability to look through any wall and watch every single one of us and records everything we do anytime anywhere.

So, what other things we are capable of? What other types of technologies times billions they could have?
What's their version of holograms and "deepfakes"?
Could they be able to project anything anywhere and make it look as realistic as possible?
What if the objects are actually "deepfake holograms", meaning that they are projected images that have been made to look as if they are there. What if radars and IR cams are just detecting whatever light that hologram is?

Bragr

Banned
What if they are AI robots programmed to scout, sent around the universe a billion years ago, programmed to go on and on and on, and all the aliens who sent them have been dead for half a billion years now. And no-one knows anything because there's no-one the robots are able to send any info to and no-one there who watches the robots. They are just doing what they were programmed to do. Like, imagine us being able to send a bunch of drones that are capable in going infinitely far and stay on infinitely long. We send them, hoping that maybe our relatives 10,000 years from now might get some new info. But then we all die and the drones just continue doing what they do and eventually land on all kinds of planets.
Might be, I would imagine that if aliens exist, they will have sent out trillions of ships, drones, robots, or whatever into the galaxy during their lifetimes. Just imagine how much shit humans will ship into space in the next 10.000 years. And the robots would likely have a very high level of A.I., able to reproduce and design new robots themselves that suit the planets they encounter.

I just feel like it's 99% more likely that we will encounter some sort of highly intelligent drone autonomous system before we find any aliens. The question is, did these drones find us millions of years ago, and have the aliens already traveled here?

Bragr

Banned
It's kinda like if we can imagine it, they probably have it.

That's why I at one point thought about their surveillance capabilities. If we can currently make scans through walls and track incredibly amount of things we do, they would probably have the capability to look through any wall and watch every single one of us and records everything we do anytime anywhere.

So, what other things we are capable of? What other types of technologies times billions they could have?
What's their version of holograms and "deepfakes"?
Could they be able to project anything anywhere and make it look as realistic as possible?
What if the objects are actually "deepfake holograms", meaning that they are projected images that have been made to look as if they are there. What if radars and IR cams are just detecting whatever light that hologram is?
Maybe, they could probably do a lot more than that too, with nanorobots, you could have robots placed in every home in the world and we wouldn't even know. You could figure out ways to implode gravity and make black holes.

This is why I think they don't care though, they could likely do whatever they want with humans, but they aren't even hiding the UFOs, they have no care in the world if we film them. The only thing they do is fly away and make sure we don't capture them.

But still, some of the behavior is strange, the way they fly next to aircraft and hangers is a classic military response test. Russia is doing it to Europe right now, flying ships over forbidden airspace to see how fast they react to the illegal planes. The UFOs seem to do something similar, they seem to follow some sort of military test routine, which makes absolutely no sense considering how far ahead they potentially are, only humans would have any use of that. That's why people still believe it may be humans behind it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Someone posted some clips on reddit. Apparently there's been some UFO banter on Kimmel and another late show. Seems odd all of this happening at the same time?

StormCell

We've yet to confirm any other earth-like planets. It's possible we will find every candidate is like Mars or Venus. IOW, nothing like Earth.

StormCell

Someone posted some clips on reddit. Apparently there's been some UFO banter on Kimmel and another late show. Seems odd all of this happening at the same time?

I agree that it does seem really odd. Hey, remember the last time all of the media entities worked together with the current administration? Seems like that hasn't ended...

INC

I know I've probably said this before, but i swear youtube has removed or the decent ufo channels, and left nothing but shit cgi channels

There use to be all the classic sighting on there, and its impossible to find now

There use to be a video of a red disk hitting the ground and disintegrating on impact, the title was something like ufo crashes on groom Lake or white sands or something

IDKFA

We've yet to confirm any other earth-like planets. It's possible we will find every candidate is like Mars or Venus. IOW, nothing like Earth.

There have been a load of planets discovered in different star systems that are in their star's "Goldilocks" zone, but they're so far away that it's impossible to say for sure if they are earth like.

Closer to home, we know Mars had liquid water. There is even a possibility it had hydrothermal vents, which we know from earth are a hotbed for life. We might be close to finding evidence of past life on Mars.

Moons such as Europa or Ganymede have liquid oceans under their icy surface, which are strong contenders for life. Even Titan may have exotic forms of life. Our own solar system could be chock full of life!

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
stargate the franchise? or stargate the army/cia psychic remote viewing program?

ApIiyYs.jpg

Lambhalf

I've seen an alien. They're real. In 2016, it appeared with only its torso and arms showing. The body was skinny, light green. I could see the ribs slightly poking out. It reminded me of lizard standing upright. Its hands were normal but slightly longer. It showed me the heart symbol with its hands, then it disappeared from the outside in.

Last edited:

IDKFA

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced these things are not from another nation.

A few things that lead me to this conclusion.

First, all major world powers have intelligence agencies that have a vague idea about what their rivals are doing. Nobody could create this sort of tech and not have another nation knowing about it, especially considering these things have been in our skies for decades. I'm also sure the US government have already fully looked into this possibility.

Then there is the fact that if Russia or China had this tech, you bet they would be singing it from the rooftops. When you have such a technical advantage over your rival, you make sure your rival knows about it and show it off.

There is also the issue that these things have been reported since at least the 1940s. No foreign power would just sit on this tech for that long and do some random fly overs for 70 plus years.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but ...........

Shai-Tan

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced these things are not from another nation.

A few things that lead me to this conclusion.

First, all major world powers have intelligence agencies that have a vague idea about what their rivals are doing. Nobody could create this sort of tech and not have another nation knowing about it, especially considering these things have been in our skies for decades. I'm also sure the US government have already fully looked into this possibility.

Then there is the fact that if Russia or China had this tech, you bet they would be singing it from the rooftops. When you have such a technical advantage over your rival, you make sure your rival knows about it and show it off.

There is also the issue that these things have been reported since at least the 1940s. No foreign power would just sit on this tech for that long and do some random fly overs for 70 plus years.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but ...........
But that's not evidence about UFO. UFO are unidentified flying objects where "object" is not even necessarily a tangible thing, just unexplained phenomena, whether the object is a craft or not. So it's a leap to assume some advanced technology is responsible (if an actual flying object, may just be normal technology that seemed unusual due to human perception in that moment). My take on the institutional angle is that a government report about eyewitness testimony doesn't add up to much when you look at evidence for specific cases. It's like putting trust in the outcome of a meta-analysis combining the results of multiple scientific studies without considering the quality of the studies that were included. You can convince yourself of anything by collecting bad data. That's the story of UFOlogy so far.

Apologies to INCUBASE as he's made his thoughts perfectly clear on this guy, but I saw this and it is food for thought:

Goes on to talk about false flags being used to get more funding for Space Force, etc. That the pyramids, tic tacs and triangles are actually "ours" among other things.

As said, food for thought.

IDKFA

But that's not evidence about UFO. UFO are unidentified flying objects where "object" is not even necessarily a tangible thing, just unexplained phenomena, whether the object is a craft or not. So it's a leap to assume some advanced technology is responsible (if an actual flying object, may just be normal technology that seemed unusual due to human perception in that moment). My take on the institutional angle is that a government report about eyewitness testimony doesn't add up to much when you look at evidence for specific cases. It's like putting trust in the outcome of a meta-analysis combining the results of multiple scientific studies without considering the quality of the studies that were included. You can convince yourself of anything by collecting bad data. That's the story of UFOlogy so far.

If it were just unidentified things in the sky then yeah, but a lot of these reports these are crafts making intentional movements.

With the 2004 tictac case, Cmdr Fravor reported that he saw the craft above the ocean. When he started the decent to take a closer look, the craft copies his movements and started to move towards him. When he was close enough, the thing just zipped off at unreal speeds that were nothing like any craft we know about.

Shai-Tan

Banned
If it were just unidentified things in the sky then yeah, but a lot of these reports these are crafts making intentional movements.

With the 2004 tictac case, Cmdr Fravor reported that he saw the craft above the ocean. When he started the decent to take a closer look, the craft copies his movements and started to move towards him. When he was close enough, the thing just zipped off at unreal speeds that were nothing like any craft we know about.
there's a chain of reasoning that needs to be rendered to hone in on one explanation that eliminates ambiguity, and it usually involves discounting other alternative explanations, including instrument error. at best you can say it's unexplained. it's not surprising that the evidence is bad quality video because it creates more space for imagination to run wild

Shai-Tan

Banned
This is sort of the angle that has been taken by senator Harry Reid and the former head of intelligence (I forget his name). While Reid may not be totally convinced that the objects are out of this world, they all seem to think that this is a big security matter. Basically, these objects are flying all over our airspace, over our bases and our missile installations, have been known to buzz our destroyers that are out at sea, and no one in the armed services has any idea what these things are or who they belong to. The only thing substantive that we know for certain is that the objects we have encountered in the past, like in the 2004 Nimitz incident, are definitely not ours and couldn't have possibly belonged to any of our rivals. The former head of intelligence put himself on record having definitively said that. If he is a liar, then he is a liar. But if he is not a liar and he is somehow wrong, that's a whole other problem. And if he's right, then we have a really huge security issue.

We are basically two generations of Americans who have never lived in a world where there is a super power that exceeds the United States plus its allies. We don't know what it was like living in a world fearful of the Soviets gaining an upperhand that would enable them to deal a nuclear death blow to the free world. Having these objects fly freely through our airspace, restricted or otherwise, leaves us in a state of helplessness, really.

This New Yorker article suggests previous investigations were not serious, so all the recent disclosures reveal is the desire to look into UFO phenomena:

"
Perhaps unsurprisingly for a Pentagon project that had begun as a contractor’s investigation into goblins and werewolves, and had been reincarnated under the aegis of a musician best known for an album called “Enema of the State,” aatip was subject to intense scrutiny. Kean is unwavering in her belief that she and an insider exposed something formidable, but a former Pentagon official recently suggested that the story was more complicated: the program she disclosed was of little consequence compared with the one she set in motion. Widespread fascination with the idea that the government cared about U.F.O.s had inspired the government at last to care about U.F.O.s.

Within a month of the Times article’s publication, the Pentagon’s U.A.P. portfolio was reassigned to a civilian intelligence official with a rank equivalent to that of a two-star general. This successor—who did not want to be named, lest U.F.O. nuts swarm his doorstep—had read Kean’s book. He channelled the cascade of media interest to argue that, without a process to handle uncategorizable observations, rigid bureaucracies would overlook anything that didn’t follow a standard pattern. At the height of the Cold War, the government had worried that the noise of lurid phantasmagoria might drown out signals relevant to national security, or even provide cover for adversarial incursions; now, it seemed, the concern was that valuable intelligence wasn’t being reported. (The Nimitz encounter didn’t become subject to official investigation until years after the incident, when an errant file landed on the desk of someone who decided that it merited pursuit.)"

Romulus

there's a chain of reasoning that needs to be rendered to hone in on one explanation that eliminates ambiguity, and it usually involves discounting other alternative explanations, including instrument error. at best you can say it's unexplained. it's not surprising that the evidence is bad quality video because it creates more space for imagination to run wild

Theres also radar operator and weapons fire controller reports, plus 4 pilots/backseaters and sonar (2nd hand) on the Nimitz encounter documentary.
The radar also backs up the pilots' story, the speed and acceleration is extraordinary.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Theres also radar operator and weapons fire controller reports, plus 4 pilots/backseaters and sonar (2nd hand) on the Nimitz encounter documentary.
The radar also backs up the pilots' story, the speed and acceleration is extraordinary.
I wouldn't be able to offer anything that the New Yorker article I linked didn't already say about that incident, except that corroboration and standards of evidence are not as simple as documentaries make it seem by railroading a specific perspective to make it seem the most plausible interpretation (I meant that in general as I haven't seen that particular one)

Romulus

I wouldn't be able to offer anything that the New Yorker article I linked didn't already say about that incident, except that corroboration and standards of evidence are not as simple as documentaries make it seem by railroading a specific perspective to make it seem the most plausible interpretation (I meant that in general as I haven't seen that particular one)

It just doesn't get much more credible than having various accounts from different perspectives, completely different specialists and instruments. They would all need to be glitches/mistakes at the same time. Then you factor on the consistency of other reports from all over the world going back to WW2. Its absolutely not isolated to the US military.

IDKFA

Yeah, but with the example I gave you also have four eye witnesses who saw it with their eyes, plus a number of instruments that verified the object.

Ammogeddon

If they are intelligent alien vehicles imagine the race by nations to capture and reverse engineer this technology, and the potential consequences of doing that.

Romulus

If they are intelligent alien vehicles imagine the race by nations to capture and reverse engineer this technology, and the potential consequences of doing that.

Yeah, this could draw unwanted attention to the phenomenon. Whether it's drones or aliens, it seems at least some of the objects tracked by weapons guidance systems. So, it could propel more aggressive nations like Russia to shoot first? Hopefully, they're smart enough to realize the implications if it's not just "drones bro."
Or maybe aliens don't come here anymore because we were literally shooting at everything from the 1940s-1980s. Maybe they are drones now lol

Well duh, if its confirmed we're not alone, of course that's a bigger story than a slightly bad outbreak

I think he's referring to the "corona roadmap" in the end of that post as there was an image last year that had a month to month list of events and before "Corona II" was the Alien Invasion.

INC

I think he's referring to the "corona roadmap" in the end of that post as there was an image last year that had a month to month list of events and before "Corona II" was the Alien Invasion.

Sure.

I just mean it of course would be a bigger story, but I get the conspiracy. I wouldn't put them pass it. Why not, flase flags are part of our modern combat tactics, and probably ancient too.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yeah, but with the example I gave you also have four eye witnesses who saw it with their eyes, plus a number of instruments that verified the object.
not really that interested in going over it but I liked this skeptical take:

which covers most of what is in the wiki article

i'm really only interested in UFOlogy to the extent that the inability to make systematic observations creates space for big claims that can't be verified; I didn't find it surprising that the respectable face quoted in that New Yorker article is also a proponent of the paranormal and life after death experiences that also rely on the credulity of testimony. she poses as agnostic yet frequently talks as if testimony/evidence presented is true

(compare her comments about parapsychology to this for example)

INC

not really that interested in going over it but I liked this skeptical take:

which covers most of what is in the wiki article

i'm really only interested in UFOlogy to the extent that the inability to make systematic observations creates space for big claims that can't be verified; I didn't find it surprising that the respectable face quoted in that New Yorker article is also a proponent of the paranormal and life after death experiences that also rely on the credulity of testimony. she poses as agnostic yet frequently talks as if testimony/evidence presented is true

(compare her comments about parapsychology to this for example)

Do ghosts give off radar data?

I lived in a Transylvanian city for a while. This spooky forest is just outside the city. I was aware of stories of UFOs, ghosts etc. The apartment I rented was only a couple of kilometers from that forest. The balcony had a nice view of the city and, to the right and back, the hills and that forest.
On a summer night, not long after sunset, I was out for a smoke on the balcony. I noticed a light rising verticality from the forest. I assumed it was a drone. Then it dashed towards the west at an incredible speed, as fast as a shooting star. I worked with commercial drones and that was not a commercial drone.
I obviously pondered various explanations, the best one being a simple afterimage (the light turned off and its afterimage persisted during an involuntary eye movement). Anyway I was happy I could add my name to the list of people who saw strange things there.
Unfortunately, I had to move to an apartment in the center of the city and never had the chance to keep an eye out for tic-tacs.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Do ghosts give off radar data?
it only loosely corroborates their testimony. to conclude: after this (anomalous radar signal), therefore because of this (contents of testimony interpreting flir image). we might need to know something about how accurate the instrument is, how plausible alternatives are like false positives, something mundane, how well the signals correspond in a particular instance, etc. just because something happens before something else doesn't verify one causes the other or has a common cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom