• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Philippo

They should do something to reassure the people that are scared by the "second half of the game" goes linear. Because i think many fears it will become something like The Last of Us (only focused on main content), while i'm pretty sure it will be closer to The Witcher 2 (smaller sectioned areas that you're still able to explore freely, with side content in them), just with the pacing getting much quicker to augment the feel pf urgency, and then it will become liner TLOU style just in the last hours, but with a special way (already shown at PGW) to gl back and explore everything again.
As for the train thing it's pretty obvious it will start from Altissia and take us to Tenebrae and Niflheim's regions, where as i said you'll still be able to roam around a bit, and maybe some smaller areas in between them (Terraverde, the Molborlo area shown last year etc.), and i still think we'll be able to visit the previous one freely by hopping on the train and choosing the destination.

Ran rp

As for the train thing it's pretty obvious it will start from Altissia and take us to Tenebrae and Niflheim's regions, where as i said you'll still be able to roam around a bit, and maybe some smaller areas in between them (Terraverde, the Molborlo area shown last year etc.), and i still think we'll be able to visit the previous one freely by hopping on the train and choosing the destination.

i thought tabata said there are areas you can't go back to

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They should do something to reassure the people that are scared by the "second half of the game" goes linear. Because i think many fears it will become something like The Last of Us (only focused on main content), while i'm pretty sure it will be closer to The Witcher 2 (smaller sectioned areas that you're still able to explore freely, with side content in them), just with the pacing getting much quicker to augment the feel pf urgency, and then it will become liner TLOU style just in the last hours, but with a special way (already shown at PGW) to gl back and explore everything again.

They shouldn't do anything. Being "linear" doesn't automatically mean "bad" as long as the narrative is there to carry it in a meaningful way.

Bye bye altissia

Yes, Arydn placing C4's on strut A and B

8FxEa.gif

LordKasual

Banned
Has Squarenix ever made a good side quest before?

Final Fantasy 7 was full of them. Ignoring the tired honeybee inn reference, FF7 was the last FF game where "Side Quest" literally resulted in new party members. Which then resulted in more quests that can only be called side quests. Wutai is probably the best side quest in any FF i've played.

If we're being literal about the "Square Enix" part (not squaresoft), then FFX-2 was pretty much nothing but side quests, and i remember really enjoying that game. XII had wonderful sidequests, but they were much less quests than just excuses to fight bosses.

And if it counts, FFXIV is chocked full of amazing side quests, mostly from a dialogue and good writing standpoint. It's the only MMO i've played in my life where the funny dialogue and cutscenes from seasonal events is more a reward to me than the actual event items.

Final Fantasy 7 was full of them. Ignoring the tired honeybee inn reference, FF7 was the last FF game where "Side Quest" literally resulted in new party members. Which then resulted in more quests that can only be called side quests. Wutai is probably the best side quest in any FF i've played.

If we're being literal about the "Square Enix" part (not squaresoft), then FFX-2 was pretty much nothing but side quests, and i remember really enjoying that game. XII had wonderful sidequests, but they were much less quests than just excuses to fight bosses.

And if it counts, FFXIV is chocked full of amazing side quests, mostly from a dialogue and good writing standpoint. It's the only MMO i've played in my life where the funny dialogue and cutscenes from seasonal events is more a reward to me than the actual event items.

Now that I think about it,
side quest became more popular after GTA & Skyrim, it seems to be that the reason why I don't remember side quest in older Squarenix games is simply because I was unaware of them, I thought it was simply part of the main game all along, not optional.

I think Chrono trigger is a good example of what I'm talking about, because most side quest ended up getting you a new ending or the story would change.

side quest became more popular after GTA & Skyrim, it seems to be that the reason why I don't remember side quest in older Squarenix games is simply because I was unaware of them, I thought it was simply part of the main game all along, not optional.

I think Chrono trigger is a good example of what I'm talking about, because most side quest ended up getting you a new ending or the story would change.

You do have to consider the time travel aspect of CT ;p

LordKasual

Banned

I think the biggest difference between JRPGs and WRPGs to me actually has to do with how side quests are handled. In older JRPGs, a "side quest" is usually something that results in a really ultimate weapon, or a superboss, or something...exciting. WRPG side quests usually just result in some extra dialogue and storyline alterations.

The Witcher 3 is the first real WRPG ive played in a long time, and it kind of surprised me with how much i enjoyed its side quests...maybe because they usually ended in scripted fight / boss sequences, reminding me of the JRPG side quests i was used to.

I'm really not worried about FFXV's sidequests at all. We've already got clan hunts, so that's one thing. And if the world is littered with caves, mines and dungeons, my only real gripe with sidequests in open world games (lots of traveling and throwaway dialogue with no actual unique gameplay reward at the end) probably wont apply.

....you could miss Quina???? : o

MogCakes

Wutai is probably the best side quest in any FF i've played.

XII had wonderful sidequests, but they were much less quests than just excuses to fight bosses.

Man I'm not used to thinking of Wutai as optional, there was so much effort put into that segment of the game that I've always assumed it was part of the main storyline. The great thing about XII's hunts is just finding the marks is an event. I wish XIV's big hunts weren't so zerg-able.

I didn't know the party members were optional in 7 until it was alil to late I just assumed they joined late Game. But I remember asking in the ps4 version ot when does yuffie join and telling ppl how far I was and them laughing lol.

Final Fantasy is jammed pack with side quests. Remember in FFVIII when you had to go to Deep Sea Research Lab to fight Ultima Weapon? Or all the stuff you collect to get Doom Train?

Like I said on the previous page, I'm shocked you don't think FF doesn't have side quests. Something like Lucretia's cave was completely optional in FFVII, or getting all the summons in V.

FF has a large history with optional content. It's one of the big reasons XIII was such a big departure. Even X had Blitzball and places like the Omega Ruins.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
This is definitely the Leide desert. As sappyday said, the big rock is very distinctive and in the back across the sea you can make out Insomnia. Well, in this tiny image you can't really make anything out, lol. Wikia always shrinks hotlinked images. Here's a link to it:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/e/e6/Lucis-Wasteland-FFXV.png/revision/latest/zoom-crop/width/480/height/480?cb=20160518205700&format=webp

Here's the rock from another perspective:

08463068-photo-vlcsnap-00001.jpg

The region you are referring to is Galahd, a location in Kingsglaive and probably exclusive to Kingsglaive as it looks so far. It's the upper image and looks a bit like a barren, deserted Duscae with it's stone arches:

tumblr_o82a83kZYs1s2b58zo10_1280.jpg
Now I see it... but Insomnia looks so close unlike on the map. Well what ever. :)

LordKasual

Banned
New gameplay summary video from Russia. Not a whole lot we haven't seen before (I think?) other than Noctis using some kind of Royal Arm that looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvwS1rG6258

Also shows some Noctis using guns.

insta.gif

Oh my god the distance this game has gone since its early showings is absolutely mindblowing. It looks like there's no shortage of things you can blow up in that base.

I was afraid the lighting had gotten a downgrade from when they first showed that nif base. But here it's looking better than ever, with tons of enemies everywhere. This game's engine works wonders during the nighttime.

Also...lol @ ragdoll Gladio

Edit:

the warping in that nif base shows something I haven't really seen in this game yet -- warp points that actually lead to actual areas instead of just distant hang points on the map. It makes the whole concept look so much cooler, since you're usually only teleporting to hang spots while outside.

Let'sGoTenjiku

Neo Member
It's good to see some positive impressions coming out early, but you know, even FFVII was amazing for a certain portion of the game and then it went to shit because it was rushed. I would be shocked if XV didn't suffer from the same problem later in the game.
I feel VII was only amazing until you left Midgar, then sucked until Cloud went fully cripple and you got to see how the rest of the party handled things, that part was legitimately awesome. Slap fight and all.

Aters

Final Fantasy is jammed pack with side quests. Remember in FFVIII when you had to go to Deep Sea Research Lab to fight Ultima Weapon? Or all the stuff you collect to get Doom Train?

Like I said on the previous page, I'm shocked you don't think FF doesn't have side quests. Something like Lucretia's cave was completely optional in FFVII, or getting all the summons in V.

FF has a large history with optional content. It's one of the big reasons XIII was such a big departure. Even X had Blitzball and places like the Omega Ruins.

There's no doubt that FFXV will have hidden boss to fight and hidden gears to acquire. The problem is whether there are well-written side quests, TW3-esque. Fighting Ultimate Weapon is hardly well-written, though I'd argue it's equally fun.

I hope you can do something with the equipment that you outlevel beyond selling it. Are Noctis' weapons even physical things that you'd be able to sell?

There's no doubt that FFXV will have hidden boss to fight and hidden gears to acquire. The problem is whether there are well-written side quests, TW3-esque. Fighting Ultimate Weapon is hardly well-written, though I'd argue it's equally fun.

That's fair. The initial query was whether FF had side quests though. Well written and FF doesn't always mix.

Top Bottom