• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Asd202

Noctis VA says the game only has a few cutscenes.

Watered down MGSV-like plot confirmed except this time our audio tapes are in the car.

Eh I'm not surprised still disappointing though. You could see that from a miles away from trailers and how the game was promoted.

The way Ray says it sounds a lot better than how birthbysleep typed it. I'll go with Ray on this one

He's the star of the game, of course he'll say positive things.

They've shown off the battle system, summons, driving, ascension grid, basically everything in the game except proper story/cutscenes.

Some say this might be for spoilers but what if they really don't have much to show in this department?

Maybe I'm missing what counts as a proper cutscene now adays but let's see

The talk with cidney and Cid is a cutscene right?

Talk with ardyn is a cutscene

Finding out about their home is one

Talking with cor on the phone

Talking with cor again in the royal tomb

The entirety of the tgs trailer.

I'm lost here they've shown plenty cutscenes are these not cutscenes

Does the game do a good job of making you care about the characters/plot? -@PatrickKul

Yes. I didn’t think Noct and crew would grow on me as much as they have, but their endless banter has grown on me. There have been moments both big and small that have gradually made me care about Gladio and Ignis and Prompto—good old annoying Prompto—far more than I thought I would. At least one optional cut-scene has popped out of nowhere and surprised me with its raw emotion and intimacy. (Prompto!)

Team Prompto where you at. We here y'all

Maybe I'm missing what counts as a proper cutscene now adays but let's see

The talk with cidney and Cid is a cutscene right?

Talk with ardyn is a cutscene

Finding out about their home is one

Talking with cor on the phone

Talking with cor again in the royal tomb

The entirety of the tgs trailer.

I'm lost here they've shown plenty cutscenes are these not cutscenes

He means cgi cutscenes

wmlk

MGS5's story was extremely disappointing in this respect, so yes.

If you make a beeline to each story related event like you're forced to in FFXIII for example, it doesn't look to be sparse.

Of course the sheer number of cutscenes will be much less for a game that also puts emphasis on the sidequests and exploration. So, I don't know what conclusions you can draw from this. It's just math.

And mandatory bits of exposition are while you're driving, such as the long conversation about Titan when the guys make it to Duscae, are completely different from separate, optional audio tapes.

In FFXV, it's more like a seamless cutscene. I don't see it how you can view it as anything else when it's absolutely required.

Another example, take the conversation the guys have with Ardyn when they reach the gate to Titan. The dialogue happens there for about a minute and doesn't shift to a cutscene type framing. You hear the entire thing and then the gate opens up. FFXIII didn't have moments like this where things are happening on the field.

Also, the exposition about Luna and her vowing to fulfill her duties as Oracle as they're driving to Galdin Quay. The guys are hearing this and it's a scripted event. it doesn't switch out to higher poly models where things aren't seamless.

It doesn't make sense to ignore these bits altogether. They serve the same purpose as cutscenes.

He's the star of the game, of course he'll say positive things.

They've shown off the battle system, summons, driving, ascension grid, basically everything in the game except proper story/cutscenes.

Some say this might be for spoilers but what if they really don't have much to show in this department?
Okay okay sorry didn't mean to start something.

Watered down MGSV-like plot confirmed except this time our audio tapes are in the car.

That's not what he said at all.

Edit: He is saying, unlike XIII, FFXV's cutscenes are meaningful and there are things to do between the cutscenes and not running from one cutscene to the next.

Koozek

I think many are confusing "less static cutscenes" with "less story". Tons of dialog and exposition that would've been long cutscenes in other FFs are now in the form of dynamic cutscenes or banter during exploration and driving, which naturally reduces the amount of static cutscenes. Even Nomura wanted to have more real-time cutscenes back in Versus days. Don't see the problem as long as the exposition is there in any form, and at least it's not audio tapes or datalogs. Through banter it's at least more organic than with cutscenes, though you could miss out if you don't explore much.

See this from Jason Schreier's Q&A today:
Are the story and characters easy to understand when you haven’t seen Kingsglaive or the Brotherhood anime? -@MoogleKupoCake

Not really. I haven’t watched Brotherhood. I’d recommend watching Kingsglaive so you see the other side of what happens during Chapter 1 of Final Fantasy XV, but it doesn’t seem essential.

On the other hand, it seems like you’ll miss a lot of important story and character development if you’re not poking around the world. A surprising amount of the story unfolds through dialogue while you’re driving and wandering around, which makes it A) easy to miss but B) far more interesting than it would be if you were subjected to dozens and dozens of cutscenes.

If you make a beeline to each story related event like you're forced to in FFXIII for example, it doesn't look to be sparse.

Of course the sheer number of cutscenes will be much less for a game that also puts emphasis on the sidequests and exploration. So, I don't know what conclusions you can draw from this. It's just math.

And mandatory bits of exposition are while you're driving, such as the long conversation about Titan when the guys make it to Duscae, are completely different from separate, optional audio tapes.

In FFXV, it's more like a seamless cutscene. I don't see it how you can view it as anything else when it's absolutely required.

Another example, take the conversation the guys have with Ardyn when they reach the gate to Titan. The dialogue happens there for about a minute and doesn't shift to a cutscene type framing. You hear the entire thing and then the gate opens up. FFXIII didn't have moments like this where things are happening on the field.

Also, the exposition about Luna and her vowing to fulfill her duties as Oracle as they're driving to Galdin Quay. The guys are hearing this and it's a scripted event. it doesn't switch out to higher poly models where things aren't seamless.

It doesn't make sense to ignore these bits altogether. They serve the same purpose as cutscenes.
Exactamente.

benzy

Just playing devils advocate. We know a lot about the game and its systems, even after a 5 chapter preview the story is still unknown and it's kind of worrying to me.

The opposite of that is they blow all of their story cutscenes in their trailers like Kojima did with Phantom Pain. Literally 80+% of the cutscenes were "yeah, I've seen this already."

The latest XV previews were all careful not to spoil anything.

Just playing devils advocate. We know a lot about the game and its systems, even after a 5 chapter preview the story is still unknown and it's kind of worrying to me.

Quite a few of the previews, including Jason's Q&A, have said they've been enjoying the story so far. But I can see where you might be coming from. I hope when you do experience the story you find it to your liking.

You will have to beat Platinum Demo and give Carbuncle a name at the end to have it in FFXV. It's really easy and short though. You can run through it in like 5 minutes.

I don't think I ever beat the demo with my US account (which will be the one that I buy the game on).

Now, I'm kinda afraid that going back to it might kill my hype once again. How useful is Carbuncle? Does it really worth the risk?

There are no character classes or any real customization options, no. There are two ways to adapt combat to your preferred play-style. The first is by using different weapons — playing with short swords feels drastically different than, say, primarily using a gun. The second is the Ascension system, which allows you to acquire new abilities on a big flowchart that resembles FFX’s sphere grid. You can put a heavy focus on collaborative skills, Noctis’s aerial abilities, Noctis’s recovery rate, or whatever else you’d like.

???

This makes no sense. Parish's impressions make it clear that the game is customizable and that there are many boards or grids to choose from for Noct. Furthermore, the sphere grid he name drops clearly divides by class. Lulu's is black Mage, Rikku's is thief. In the international version you can pick a board from the get go and make Auron a thief if you choose to. Saying there's no real character customization while off handedly mentioning the sphere grid, which allows you to pick whichever class you want at multiple times, makes it look like Jason has no idea what he's remotely talking about. Never mind that he mentions clear customization options in the same paragraph.

???

.JayZii

Banned

Maybe you should just quote exactly what he said, instead of trying to spin it.

https://twitter.com/RayChase/status/793172199599321089
I was trying to find the source, and is this really something that fires off alarms?
MGS5's story was extremely disappointing in this respect, so yes.
Lol. We all hear what we want to hear.

KupoNut

Since you can't skip your car drives early on I think doing storytelling through banter is a good thing to break up monotonous car rides.

sappyday

To think there isn't any cutscenes or story beats from chapter 6 and above is ridiculous. It isn't cause they have nothing to show but cause they don't want to show more.

Ishida

Banned
Oooh man, I just got my bank's notification. I was just charged for my beautiful Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Ultimate-Collectors-Edition-555x250.jpg

Papa can't wait to have you in his filthy claws, my dear.

Oooh man, I just got my bank's notification. I was just charged for my beautiful Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Ultimate-Collectors-Edition-555x250.jpg

Papa can't want to have you in his filthy claws, my dear.
Looks at plain classic edition,kingsglaive Blu ray combo and hardcover guidebook order...well screw you Ishida

Not sure why people mention mgsv when we already have had two single player FF's with sparse stories after a certain point in a row in FF12 and 13.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
???

This makes no sense. Parish's impressions make it clear that the game is customizable and that there are many boards or grids to choose from for Noct.
Not quite – I said there's one for Noctis exclusively and the rest are shared between the parties. Everyone has very set combat roles, and customization consists of how you want to specialize (melee vs. magic vs. non-combat survival skills, etc.).

Top Bottom