• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Wait WHAT?

giphy.gif

It's probably Nomura's Drautos before the redesign.

Tyaren

You will have to beat Platinum Demo and give Carbuncle a name at the end to have it in FFXV. It's really easy and short though. You can run through it in like 5 minutes.

Philippo

They shouldn't do anything. Being "linear" doesn't automatically mean "bad" as long as the narrative is there to carry it in a meaningful way.

Oh don't get me wrong, i'm actually super excited about this design choice since i get burned out of open world games half way through them (yes, this also incldes TW3).
But i've noticed there's a lot of people who misnterpreted Tabata's words and think the latter part of the game will become like XIII.
But you're right, maybe its better for them to remain silent and let the crowd be surprised.

I am disappoint. You should know better! You're not part of the Hype Crew anymore.

cf8ebf431a6f5744e443c8f9a3473588.gif

Yeah it's pretty obvious that back in 2013 they were setting (KS SPOILER)
some confrontation between Cor and Drautos/Glauca, maybe with the first getting revenge on the latter for the murder of Regis, since they were both close to him
, but then Kingsglaive came and plot points got re-shuffled using Nyx instead of Cor.
And ffs they should have went with that >:|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You can even rename it and stuff!

Off topic: My UCE of Final Fantasy XV was just charged and approved. It will ship soon! Finally!
I ordered my UCE as soon as pre-orders went up, and it still shows no charging activity, nor courtesy emails. :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Final Fantasy is jammed pack with side quests. Remember in FFVIII when you had to go to Deep Sea Research Lab to fight Ultima Weapon? Or all the stuff you collect to get Doom Train?

Like I said on the previous page, I'm shocked you don't think FF doesn't have side quests. Something like Lucretia's cave was completely optional in FFVII, or getting all the summons in V.

FF has a large history with optional content. It's one of the big reasons XIII was such a big departure. Even X had Blitzball and places like the Omega Ruins.

XIII had datalog sidequest

Voror

I wonder how soon review copies will get sent out to people as well as when an embargo would lift. These preview builds seem a way to get ahead of that since you can import progress into retail copies from what I understand, though not everyone got them.

Gbraga

New gameplay summary video from Russia. Not a whole lot we haven't seen before (I think?) other than Noctis using some kind of Royal Arm that looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvwS1rG6258

Also shows some Noctis using guns.

insta.gif

What a cool looking animation :O

I'm thinking this will be the ideal weapon to get a trophy of X hits combo, in case there is one :p

You mean before they go to sleep? Yes, those are obviously not voiced. But I think that was fully intentional and not because of some constraints.
I've heard several people complain about them not talking but I actually like it exacty like that. I like listening to the calming camping theme and concentrating on the point tallying and stats that are shown to you. The guys sitting on the fire, eating and chatting are just supposed to be the pretty and atmospheric background. Them loudly chatting would imo be distracting. Also, depending on how quick you go through the menus there won't be enough time for them to actually have a conversation. Sometimes you will want to just quickly level up and carry on.
When you look through Prompto's pictures they will however make some voiced comments and all the mini side quests, like cooking with Ignis or Gladio challenging you to a race in the morning, are also fully voiced.

Wait, Gladio talking to you about racing in the night is voiced? I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the video I watched. That's what I was referring to, I totally understand the camping cutscenes not being voiced, but the one I'm referring to was a conversation between Noctis and Gladio with subtitles but no voices.

Which I really don't have an issue with either, btw, just pointing it out.

I'm thinking this will be the ideal weapon to get a trophy of X hits combo, in case there is one :p

Lol camping behind a rock and getting a 1000 hit combo while the rest of the dudes are getting steamrolled by giant crabs and huge-ass snake things *trollface*.

Gbraga

Yeah it's pretty obvious that back in 2013 they were setting (KS SPOILER)
some confrontation between Cor and Drautos/Glauca, maybe with the first getting revenge on the latter for the murder of Regis, since they were both close to him
, but then Kingsglaive came and plot points got re-shuffled using Nyx instead of Cor.
And ffs they should have went with that >:|

I may be wrong, but iirc,
you can actually see Glauca breathing at the very last shot, before Nyx says "Rule well, young king". So it might still happen.

Lol camping behind a rock and getting a 1000 hit combo while the rest of the dudes are getting steamrolled by giant crabs and huge-ass snake things *trollface*.

I'm not too fond of ranged combat, but the last part is definitely not far from what will happen in my playthrough. I'm not spending points upgrading the bros, fuck that shit. I want my crazy teleport moves.

Koozek

Jason uploaded his FFXV Q&A:

Answering Your Best Final Fantasy XV Questions
- I have played 10 hours of Final Fantasy XV, a video game about how One Direction spends their days off, and I’m pleased to report that so far, it’s good. Very good. Maybe even excellent.

"Compared to the demos, does it play the same, or does it feel refined? -@ZChocobo

Combat feels significantly better in the final game than it does in both demos, especially Platinum. (In retrospect, Platinum was a terrible way for Square to showcase Final Fantasy XV — playing as real Noctis feels nothing like playing Dream Child Noctis.) There’s a certain rhythm that you can’t really wrap your head around until you’ve played the game for a few hours. In the real FFXV, you can’t expect to defeat tough monsters just by mashing buttons; you have to dodge, switch weapons, and warp to safe ground to recharge your MP. Noctis has access to an array of powerful weapons called the Royal Arms, each of which can do a great deal of damage but only at the cost of your health. There are a lot of moving pieces, in other words, which is very much unlike the two demos."

"Does the game do a good job of making you care about the characters/plot? -@PatrickKul

Yes. I didn’t think Noct and crew would grow on me as much as they have, but their endless banter has grown on me. There have been moments both big and small that have gradually made me care about Gladio and Ignis and Prompto—good old annoying Prompto—far more than I thought I would. At least one optional cut-scene has popped out of nowhere and surprised me with its raw emotion and intimacy. (Prompto!)"

"In footage I’ve seen, seems like the characters constantly talk to each other. Do they ever stop, and does this get annoying? -@bri_provan

No, they never stop. No, it hasn’t gotten annoying for me yet. The dialogue is generally entertaining and well-written, outside of some awful puns. (“I see the sea!”)"

More at the link.

Ketaya

Wait, Gladio talking to you about racing in the night is voiced? I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the video I watched. That's what I was referring to, I totally understand the camping cutscenes not being voiced, but the one I'm referring to was a conversation between Noctis and Gladio with subtitles but no voices.

Which I really don't have an issue with either, btw, just pointing it out.

https://youtu.be/Zf3BAN77s9g?t=50m

Nope, that scene is voiced as well, just as everything in the game. I mean even WoFF doesn't have any unvoiced dialogue and that's just a spinoff.

Jason uploaded his FFXV Q&A:

Answering Your Best Final Fantasy XV Questions
- I have played 10 hours of Final Fantasy XV, a video game about how One Direction spends their days off, and I’m pleased to report that so far, it’s good. Very good. Maybe even excellent.

"Compared to the demos, does it play the same, or does it feel refined? -@ZChocobo

Combat feels significantly better in the final game than it does in both demos, especially Platinum. (In retrospect, Platinum was a terrible way for Square to showcase Final Fantasy XV — playing as real Noctis feels nothing like playing Dream Child Noctis.) There’s a certain rhythm that you can’t really wrap your head around until you’ve played the game for a few hours. In the real FFXV, you can’t expect to defeat tough monsters just by mashing buttons; you have to dodge, switch weapons, and warp to safe ground to recharge your MP. Noctis has access to an array of powerful weapons called the Royal Arms, each of which can do a great deal of damage but only at the cost of your health. There are a lot of moving pieces, in other words, which is very much unlike the two demos."

"Does the game do a good job of making you care about the characters/plot? -@PatrickKul

Yes. I didn’t think Noct and crew would grow on me as much as they have, but their endless banter has grown on me. There have been moments both big and small that have gradually made me care about Gladio and Ignis and Prompto—good old annoying Prompto—far more than I thought I would. At least one optional cut-scene has popped out of nowhere and surprised me with its raw emotion and intimacy. (Prompto!)"

"In footage I’ve seen, seems like the characters constantly talk to each other. Do they ever stop, and does this get annoying? -@bri_provan

No, they never stop. No, it hasn’t gotten annoying for me yet. The dialogue is generally entertaining and well-written, outside of some awful puns. (“I see the sea!”)"

More at the link.

Maybe I'm speaking out my ass here but.

Do you think all the people that are on the fence or call the combat boring will come to enjoy it, or maybe even addicted to it after they get a couple good hours into it?

I feel like the combat won't be shallow, I mean Noctis alone is a one man wrecking crew with a slew of weapons, and magic. Then you throw in all of the fun buddy link attacks. I can only hope it becomes addicting for people

I remember when I finally got the combat even in 1.0 duscae I was addicted and became a garula murderer, because I wanted more of it. And I even sucked at parry... I'm going to vow to become good at parrying, haha.

yunbuns

Ah, right. Thanks! Oh, and wait, what's the talk about Quina being optional? I don't remember, but I think I heard this on GAF before.

I don't see how Quina could have been optional because they're the reason you're able to find
Fossil Roo
. I don't think you can find it any other way so you need to have them.

Ah, right. Thanks! Oh, and wait, what's the talk about Quina being optional? I don't remember, but I think I heard this on GAF before.

I had a brainfart. You can recruit Quina early in the game, but eventually recruiting her becomes mandatory to progress. Kinda like Starky in Chrono Cross.

EDIT: Beaten like an Goblin

I wonder how soon review copies will get sent out to people as well as when an embargo would lift. These preview builds seem a way to get ahead of that since you can import progress into retail copies from what I understand, though not everyone got them.

Yeah. This is one game where an early opinion on the final product would be really helpful.

Cor's fandom stems from a few simple and incontrovertible facts:

1. He's an adult
2. When young, he sported a revolutionary mustache/beret combo
3. Battu-fucking-justu (see exhibit above, including incredibly swag sheathing animation).

Voror

Yeah. This is one game where an early opinion on the final product would be really helpful.

I mean early impressions for the most part have been very positive, but we don't exactly know yet if they manage to stick the landing so to speak. The game could fall apart as it goes on though I certainly hope not.

sappyday

I just hope Ignis actually grows a but throughout the story. If the entire time he's serving to Noctis then that would be lame. I would love for a moment in the story where he just doesn't care anymore.

Gbraga

Maybe I'm speaking out my ass here but.

Do you think all the people that are on the fence or call the combat boring will come to enjoy it, or maybe even addicted to it after they get a couple good hours into it?

I feel like the combat won't be shallow, I mean Noctis alone is a one man wrecking crew with a slew of weapons, and magic. Then you throw in all of the fun buddy link attacks. I can only hope it becomes addicting for people

I remember when I finally got the combat even in 1.0 duscae I was addicted and became a garula murderer, because I wanted more of it. And I even sucked at parry... I'm going to vow to become good at parrying, haha.

Maybe, but it's possible it's just not their cup of tea, even if they do recognize what it gets right.

A lot of people still find the combat in FFXIII bad, which is crazy to me, I think it's the best turn based combat system I've played. But it's definitely different, so a lot of people might just not find it any fun, no matter how much depth there is to managing paradigms and switching at the right time to cancel the ATB recovery.

But there's also the case of people refusing to give credit to things they decided would be bad before playing it. DmC has an amazing combat system (it's no DMC4, but no other game is), and people still say that it has no depth, or that it doesn't allow for creativity, which is just objectively wrong. You can still think it's shit, deep doesn't mean fun, but when you deny facts to say it's shit, you just show your ignorance.

Like, one of the criticism I see a lot about the Platinum Demo is that it's shallow, that the combat has no depth. There's a lot to dislike about that demo, hell, I hate it myself (Iron Giant fight is the only good thing about it imo), but when you say this has no combat depth, you just look like a fool. And while yes, most people wouldn't be able to use the tools as creatively as that guy, myself included (never thought about having the spell equipped at all times just for the short warp), just by looking at the options available and the ways the game allows for cancelling between them, it should be enough for someone to know that there is a lot of depth to the combat, even if they don't find it interesting enough to invest the time into mastering it.

I hope so,
Glauca
could be such a cool boss battle.

Indeed! They need to find any bullshit reason not to waste such a potentially cool fight.

EDIT:

Imagine if there was a fat Prompto model, like Donut Drake

Hahahahaha, that would be amazing.

Kid Prompto is so cute <3

Top Bottom