• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

I.. was told... that this.. will ..save .. me....

AHHHHHHH THEY LIED!!!! I'M ON FIRE!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS???!!!???!!!

Possible spoiler:
Because you were going to get blind anyway.
Besides, more protagonism for our lord and master Prompto. Glory to Prompto
latest

I'm in two minds about a tragic ending...a good tragic ending would be really epic and profound, would make the game a classic in my eyes. But at the same time I don't want to lose anyone :'( especially after 60-100 hours with them.

I'd be okay with a tragic ending if it's just Noctis and Luna dying. Not a fan of "everyone dies" endings or "we will kill off one side character for effect" endings, but can go for the two prime characters going together and no one else.

How could you let Ignis get into a situation where he needs a Phoenix Down in the first place?

He waits on the spoiled little tit hand and foot, and that's his repayment? Disgrace.

Sagely

I'd be okay with a tragic ending if it's just Noctis and Luna dying. Not a fan of "everyone dies" endings or "we will kill off one side character for effect" endings, but can go for the two prime characters going together and no one else.
Agreed. A tragic and meaningful ending would be sad, but moving and a good conclusion. Just not something manipulative or cruel, please!

I'd enjoy a classic Hero's Journey with Noctis being clearly a changed person once the story is over, I think. And not just physical change, but emotional signs that the journey had taken its toll on him. That or a sacrifice for the greater good would be fine by me, as common as they are.

There's a lot of cool stuff in this game.

I really like how magic works. Is there a way to tell the party to scatter so they don't get caught in the blast. If only this game had gambits.

Phoenix Down animation is badass.

In one of the videos there was an action that called the party back to Noctis.

Yup there is part of the skill tree that you can pull the party together in one spot. Should be able to leverage that for positioning purposes as I am guessing that skill brings everyone close to Noctis.

Super hoping Amazon (Prime) delivers this on Monday like they have the past 5 or so games I've preordered from them.

It typically depends on the game itself, big games like this will almost always get release date delivery, it's usually only smaller games where you have to worry. My order says I'm getting release date delivery.

Rappy

Really? Can't wait. I really want to see more of the skill system.
Ignis has a tech skill called "regroup". It's used more as a group heal ability than as a party placement skill, as it costs 2 tech bars. So you likely won't be using as something to avoid magic friendly fire, but I guess you could though.

Koozek

Really? Can't wait. I really want to see more of the skill system.
:

Nice, will read later. Thanks!

EDIT:
Just skimmed through and noticed something:
Supposedly the Just Cause 3 team came in to help out with FFXV's world design, and it definitely shows — it's a convincing, natural-feeling environment that unfolds at its own pace.​

This is actually not quite correct. They were supposed to help out with the streaming tech for the airship not world design, but Avalanche Studios confirmed it didn't amount to anything substantial in the end:

EDIT2:
Okay, maybe it wasn't completely fruitless. From Tabata himself a few months ago:
Schreier: Was this developed with [Just Cause developer] Avalanche?

Tabata: The actual development work wasn’t done as a collaboration with their guys, but we had a big meeting with them. We sat down and discussed their LOD development methods they use for that, and certainly the way that the LOD system handles textures was something we really learned from. We used the information we got out of that meeting to develop the system ourselves. But obviously the way our game’s created, and structured, and all the rich parts and systems, the way they interact with each other, it’s completely different FFXV with their game. So we can’t take their technology straight away and just block it in, there’s no way we can do that. But it really was a great reference for us, we learned a lot.​

Tabata himself encouraged this kind of world design with natural, empty stretches because it's just not possible to fill every inch of such a huge world that has to convey the road-trip more believably so you wouldn't reach the other side of the continent in a few minutes already. Obviously it's still not realistic, as I doubt it takes several real-life days or weeks to cross the whole continent :D
Highly recommending this interview where Tabata talks about having a hard time convincing his team that it's okay if parts of the world are empty:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249074

I wish you could tell characters where to go. Like I saw one fight against a boss and wish you could tell Prompto to go climb one of the storage boxes and shoot the boss from a far to save his HP.

I wish this game had gambits basically, haha.

yunbuns

I wish you could tell characters where to go. Like I saw one fight against a boss and wish you could tell Prompto to go climb one of the storage boxes and shoot the boss from a far to save his HP.

I wish this game had gambits basically, haha.

Same. I really liked the gambit system and I hope they bring it back one day.

LordKasual

Banned
Yup there is part of the skill tree that you can pull the party together in one spot. Should be able to leverage that for positioning purposes as I am guessing that skill brings everyone close to Noctis.

Yeah, Ignis has a skill that not only huddles the group together, but revives anyone who's currently fallen in Danger state.

When I saw that skill description in one of the playthroughs, i think that was when all my fears of the game kind of ended.

It helped that i believe that was the first video showcasing the optimization upgrades.

When you watch someone play who actually uses all the features of the combat engine (items, multiple team commands, warping, weapon switching, magic, parries, combos), the game just looks like it flows so fucking well.

Edit:

Oh wow, it regens too? Crazy.

Yeah, after seeing how the game flows with the team commands, i can kind of imagine how more difficult bosses can go.

There is actually alot of utility in those team attacks. Prompto has an attack that weakens Daemons, inflicts stop, and easily breaks body parts (Crowd Control)...Ignis seems to be full utility (defense formation, helping mark enemies) (Support), and Gladio brings the DPS and his attacks always seem to knock bigger enemies over for the follow up (Bruiser/Tank). And it SEEMS like Noctis is more or less invulnerable while doing the attacks.

I really hope they go apeshit with the endgame fights. Throw like 6 Iron Giants at me, force me to use everything. Still patiently praying for a King Behemoth mark that casts Meteor

Koozek

Supposedly the Just Cause 3 team came in to help out with FFXV's world design, and it definitely shows — it's a convincing, natural-feeling environment that unfolds at its own pace.​

This is actually not quite correct. They were supposed to help out with the streaming tech for the airship not world design, but Avalanche Studios confirmed it didn't amount to anything substantial in the end:

EDIT:
Okay, maybe it wasn't completely fruitless. From Tabata himself a few months ago:
Schreier: Was this developed with [Just Cause developer] Avalanche?

Tabata: The actual development work wasn’t done as a collaboration with their guys, but we had a big meeting with them. We sat down and discussed their LOD development methods they use for that, and certainly the way that the LOD system handles textures was something we really learned from. We used the information we got out of that meeting to develop the system ourselves. But obviously the way our game’s created, and structured, and all the rich parts and systems, the way they interact with each other, it’s completely different FFXV with their game. So we can’t take their technology straight away and just block it in, there’s no way we can do that. But it really was a great reference for us, we learned a lot.​

Tabata himself encouraged this kind of world design with natural, empty stretches because it's just not possible to fill every inch of such a huge world that has to convey the road-trip more believably so you wouldn't reach the other side of the continent in a few minutes already. Obviously it's still not realistic, as I doubt it takes several real-life days or weeks to cross the whole continent :D
Highly recommending this interview where Tabata talks about having a hard time convincing his team that it's okay if parts of the world are empty:

Koozek, dude- this is the last time I will ask, are you sure, and I mean it,
are you sure you don't suffer from insomnia and because of that you have developed an alternate ego (Maybe called Tyler ) that works for Squarenix?

Huh, so you can't stray from the roads with the car then? This was one of my early concerns and multiple people on GAF insured me that it wasn't the case. That's a bummer.

Koozek

Koozek, dude- this is the last time I will ask, are you sure, and I mean it,
are you sure you don't suffer from insomnia and because of that you have developed an alternate ego (Maybe called Tyler ) that works for Squarenix?
LOL, you're the second person asking me that this week. Nope, I don't work for SE. Though it would be my dream to work on a mainline FF someday. Maybe after I'm done with my Master's, probably when FFXVII will be in development.

source http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fin...al-day-stray-thoughts-and-observations/page-2

So, hidden options within accessories eh?

Any Red soles sneakers out there?
I wish you could take off seperate pieces of the optional costumes, like the silly cap on the casual outfit for Noctis :(

Nauren

I love Prompto. He is my favorite. But you guys need to chill the heck out before we get a Dirge of Prompto spinoff!!!!!!!

I love Prompto. He is my favorite. But you guys need to chill the heck out before we get a Dirge of Prompto spinoff!!!!!!!

That would be great because Prompto is a fun, quirky character unlike Vincent who is a total brooding loner vampire dude who sleeps in a casket. I would buy Prompto's Party Pack dlc.

LordKasual

Banned

Fat prompto won everyone over, it's too late.

He's best bro

If he survives the game, we need another campaign where he starts off fat again and has to lose weight to get back to endgame levels

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

I hadn't seen Jason's interview, but that's precisely what I was talking about. It has a sense of "let nature be nature" that reminds me of JC3. I could definitely see the influence.

This is why I like Tabata. Of all the Japanese developers I've interviewed in the past decade plus change, I feel like he's most on a similar wavelength to me. I'd love to do a post-mortem chat on this game with him someday.

Koozek

I hadn't seen Jason's interview, but that's precisely what I was talking about. It has a sense of "let nature be nature" that reminds me of JC3. I could definitely see the influence.

This is why I like Tabata. Of all the Japanese developers I've interviewed in the past decade plus change, I feel like he's most on a similar wavelength to me. I'd love to do a post-mortem chat on this game with him someday.
I would love that! And yeah, you're not the only journalist saying they like him.

tV5IHxb.gif

HIRE ME TABBY

Top Bottom