• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Rappy

Just playing devils advocate. We know a lot about the game and its systems, even after a 5 chapter preview the story is still unknown and it's kind of worrying to me.
I think most previewers have said their is story throughout the first five chapters and at the very least it was interesting to them. They just say beyond that they have no idea if the story will be good as they have not played those parts (some previewers saying what they have seen from the 5 chapters makes them very engaged with the story).

I guess it is fine to be weary of something no one has played/previewed, but the parts I'm most excited about are the stuff they haven't shown. Like the area where they showed the Malboro is probably one of the most interesting parts I've seen of the game. Perhaps because they've only teased it or perhaps because it just looks great.

And about the customization, I think they are referring to "real" customization as stat allocation and builds as well as job changing. FFXV doesn't necessarily have those.

jose1

FF13 barely had any fmv cutscenes to my knowledge? They've been using them less and less since FF10.

No, ff13 has about 20GB worth of FMVs, and that is on the pc version with its horrible compression. Many of ff13's cutscenes were actually fmv and did not run in real time, even though a lot appeared to be in engine with higher quality models instead of CGI. They are the reason the PC version is 60 GB (because it came with separate english and japanese FMVs). It had quite a lot of CGI cutscenes as well, 10 or more.

FF15 is mostly going to be real time cutscenes, with a few CGI fmvs here and there. One in the intro, one for the conclusion, and probably a couple for important events. I'm expecting less of a budget for CGI in the game since they made a whole CGI movie for it.

Leeness

Team Prompto where you at. We here y'all

39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend-update-high-five.gif

He's gonna be so annoying and I'm gonna love it!

Neiteio

The long dev cycle doesn't concern me. If anything, it's promising how many times they've started and restarted this project. Some of the best games ever went through multiple iterations, directorial changes, etc. Look at how much RE4 changed over the course of its troubled development. Look at Metroid Prime.

Now, I'm not saying the history here is similarly promising... but it's not cause for concern, either. It seems clear to me that FFXV was able to jettison much of its baggage thanks to multiple restarts. In the end, it seems they've come up with something lean, clean and focused. Elements like the road trip, the all-male dynamic, the simple goal to reclaim your throne, etc, all suggest to me a purity of concept that was honed by working and reworking the project.

In terms of the overall impact of the plot... If Noctis grows on a personal level over the course of his journey, if his friends grow alongside him, if the pacing is on point, and if everything is resolved in a fitting way, I think it'll deliver. The setup is already strong. I think they might pull it off.

Gbraga

I didn't give a shit about MGS V's story and still disliked the game, so even the idea of the story here being similar to MGS V (which I really don't think will be the case, from what we've seen) doesn't scare me that much about the game's quality as a whole.

But even though I didn't care about the story in MGS V, it's still kinda insane to me to think that I honestly think the story in MGR was far more engaging than The Phantom Pain.

~Cross~

With ~1/3 of the game shown already it could have absolutely no story after the fifth chapter and it would still have more story than MGS5.

No, ff13 has about 20GB worth of FMVs, and that is on the pc version with its horrible compression. Many of ff13's cutscenes were actually fmv and did not run in real time, even though a lot appeared to be in engine with higher quality models instead of CGI. They are the reason the PC version is 60 GB (because it came with separate english and japanese FMVs). It had quite a lot of CGI cutscenes as well, 10 or more.

FF15 is mostly going to be real time cutscenes, with a few CGI fmvs here and there. One in the intro, one for the conclusion, and probably a couple for important events. I'm expecting less of a budget for CGI in the game since they made a whole CGI movie for it.

Ah. I guess the in game models were so good I figured there wasn't much fmv.

Not quite – I said there's one for Noctis exclusively and the rest are shared between the parties. Everyone has very set combat roles, and customization consists of how you want to specialize (melee vs. magic vs. non-combat survival skills, etc.).

Okay. How does the grid work for Noctis? Is it a straight path like the spree grid/FFXIII's grid or more open like FFXII's?

I mean hey at least Noctis talks during cutscenes unlike Punished Snake right?

I fully expect the story to be good. The only possible thing that could ruin it for me is if Luna dies and doesn't come back to life. Noctis too.

I mean hey at least Noctis talks during cutscenes unlike Punished Snake right?

I fully expect the story to be good. The only possible thing that could ruin it for me is if Luna dies and doesn't come back to life. Noctis too.

I think Luna will die it's a feeling I have but I would love for Noctis to die in the end... something tragic like the end of Crisis Core.

Do it Tabby.

OrionX

I think Luna will die it's a feeling I have but I would love for Noctis to die in the end... something tragic like the end of Crisis Core.

Do it Tabby.

When it's all said and done, I think their fates will be intertwined somehow, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Surprised that Jason Schreier hasn't watched Brotherhood.
If he intends to review the game, then hopefully he'll do it later on. It's really an important part of the story.

Nah. Noct was acting like an ass. He was acting liked a spoiled irresponsible brat. And despite all of that Ignis had unwavering loyalty.
Isn't that his job though?

Gladio seems to be in a similar situation in terms of having a duty to protect Noct, but combines it with being a bro. Ignis seems more like a babysitter :p

Isn't that his job though?

Gladio seems to be in a similar situation in terms of having a duty to protect Noct, but combines it with being a bro. Ignis seems more like a babysitter :p

Trying to make Noct happy by trying to bake something he loved only through Noctis' vague memory is not a part of his job. He clearly deeply cares for Noctis, which is why Noctis' apathy - towards his secession of the throne, towards his student life, towards his living arrangement - disappointed him. Ignis likes Noctis so much he's trying to bake some random pastry Noctis liked over ten years ago just to please him. If you think that translates into "Ignis doesn't like Noct" I don't know what to say.

Ignis is the type of friend who is a hard ass to you when you should be doing your best.

If you can't tell I really like this ganes cast as of Brotherhood.

Trying to make Noct happy by trying to something he loved only through Noctis' vague memory is not a part of his job. He clearly deeply cares for Noctis, which is why Noctis' apathy - towards his secession of the throne, towards his student life, towards his living arrangement - disappointed him. Ignis likes Noctis so much he's trying to bake some random pastry Noctis liked over ten years ago just to to please him. If you think that translates into "Ignis doesn't like Noct" I don't know what to say.

Ignis is the type of friend who is a hard ass to you when you should be doing your best.
We'll see when he betrays Noct in the 15th hour, and you spend the rest of the game using Cindy

Gbraga

Definitely agree with Cindi on this one, but at the same time, Noctis is just so close to Prompto and Gladio that I can't disagree that it's the most distant relationship he has. Which is normal, we all had friends we weren't as close with as others, even though they were all part of the same group of our closest friends.

I'm betting that **THING WE THINK HAPPENS TO IGNIS** will definitely push Noctis torwards a warmer relationship with him, if that's really what's going on. Mostly because of guilt, but still.

It's kind of weird, but as much as I love all of the banter, the one thing I'm looking forward to the most when it comes to party dialogue is the expected awkward silence for quite a while after that fight between Noctis and Gladio in the TGS 2016 trailer. Really hoping they do it, and don't just go back to the usual banter right after, unless a considerable amount of time passes before we get to play after that scene. This kind of natural interaction is what I'm hoping this game will excel at. If I have to choose only one thing in this game to be great, that's what I want.

I think Ignis' high expectations of Noctis may make him more likely to betray him. Like, he'll convince himself he's doing what's best for the crown because he doesn't find Noctis to be suitable.

Don't we see Ignis in the time skip part of the intro? Maybe Ignis stays the straight and narrow after all.

I think Ignis' high expectations of Noctis may make him more likely to betray him. Like, he'll convince himself he's doing what's best for the crown because he doesn't find Noctis to be suitable.

Don't we see Ignis in the time skip part of the intro? Maybe Ignis stays the straight and narrow after all.
Just cuz he's there later doesn't mean that lying sneak didn't betray them. Classic rpg troupe is to betray than come back(which is why I hope no one betrays them

.JayZii

Banned
How long until this Ignis fan theory becomes fact in the fan community, and then there is backlash toward the final game because it doesn't deliver on it? Two more weeks?

How long until this Ignis fan theory becomes fact in the fan community, and then there is backlash toward the final game because it doesn't deliver on it? Two more weeks?

That combined with it being Prompto that is some sort of traitor will face massive backlash.
When it's clear that he is more of a stalker then traitor.

Ugh... I really hope that the summon we get from Platnium demo is worth it. I had to suffer through that thing once again and man I legit have a headache now due to that awful performance.

Also, I didn't notice this first time around. But I fought the big dude three times in a row and the controls in that demo had awful lag (most likely due to performance issues).

Ugh, I think I need to cleanse myself by watching some of these recent previews.

Top Bottom