• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

TheYanger

Le-mo said:
Yep, just checked again.
That sounds horribly wrong, I'm at 5 hours and I've still only been through Rome and Saudi Arabia, I haven't exactly been dallying around either. I always wanted to try this game, wish I had sooner. Shit is awesome as hell, like Mass Effect 2 mission structure, splinter cell or deus ex mission mechanics. I can dig it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Started playing this on PS3 months ago but lost interest 1-2 hours in. I guess I just suck at stealth, but the game pissed me off so I eventually gave up and forgot about it.

Fast forward to Steam sale, gave it another shot... I thought if I'm gonna try it again, I might as well do it on a PC with perfect performance and solid 60 fps. Playing with a 360 controller hooked up to my TV BTW, love it.

So about the game... this time I decided to give up stealth completely and just shoot (or punch!) everything that comes my way. And I was a bit surprised by how well it works! It also gives me a way to play the game without being frustrated, and it doesn't feel like the game considers my way of playing "wrong" either, which is nice.
Now, the game WAS kind of slow initially (first couple of hours I'd say), but things picked up once I got out of the Middle East. So yeah, having fun so far. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kiriku said:
Started playing this on PS3 months ago but lost interest 1-2 hours in. I guess I just suck at stealth, but the game pissed me off so I eventually gave up and forgot about it.

Fast forward to Steam sale, gave it another shot... I thought if I'm gonna try it again, I might as well do it on a PC with perfect performance and solid 60 fps. Playing with a 360 controller hooked up to my TV BTW, love it.

So about the game... this time I decided to give up stealth completely and just shoot (or punch!) everything that comes my way. And I was a bit surprised by how well it works! It also gives me a way to play the game without being frustrated, and it doesn't feel like the game considers my way of playing "wrong" either, which is nice.
Now, the game WAS kind of slow initially (first couple of hours I'd say), but things picked up once I got out of the Middle East. So yeah, having fun so far. :)
Stealth is much more manageable after you get a couple of the upgrades on the stealth skill tree. You likely didn't progress far enough to make it less frustrating.

jackdoe

XiaNaphryz said:
Stealth is much more manageable after you get a couple of the upgrades on the stealth skill tree. You likely didn't progress far enough to make it less frustrating.
Also pistol upgrades help. Auto crits without aiming is cheating IMO, but it makes up for the broken stealth system.

WX3

I played the 360 version pretty close to launch. I bought it as my first title to play on my then brand new 360s. I loved it! Early on its tough to play how you'd like unless guns blazing is your choice. Once I leveled up a bit the variety of game play options did as well, which was really neat in that you as the player get to watch the character rise from literally nobody to the next feared spy in the shadows!

I used the game as trade in fodder due to lack of employment at the time, but really wished I would have kept it around for another run. I almost shit when I read it was on sale for two bucks on Steam! It was but a few minutes later that I received a text message alert saying my buddy had gifted me a copy! Nice! I still need to install and play it but other, newer titles are waiting to be played first. In reality, this may jump up a few spots in the backlog merely because it interests me moreso than some new stuff that isn't clicking yet.

Oh and for the true Alpha Brotocol hardcore experience, play the game stealthy without putting any points into stealth and only ever use Mike's street clothes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm nearing the end of my sociopath run. Killed just about everyone that I could and made a lot of enemies. I'm trying to decide if I should
follow through with my plans to work with Leland, or save Mina. Mina hates my guts (-10) but I can't just leave her behind!

I focused most of my points on shotguns, toughness and martial arts. I can basically run through a room and punch/shotgun blast everyone to death before my armor is even down. The boss fights have been a breeze thanks to the Roomsweep ability. I got the impression that stealth was the easiest way to play, but with this build, brute force is the way to go.

I might do a veteran run after this, but dammit I should be playing some of my new games.

Cirruss

Bought this on Steam yesterday, just finished it got the ending where
I killed Leland and sailed off on a boat with Heck.

What an awesome game, I love the conversation system in the game, having to make a choice within the time limit makes the dialogue flow really well unlike in other games where you are meant to make "meaningful choices" and you have as much time as you want to analyse and choose a path.

I can definately see me replaying this game in a months time, just so many different branching dialogue options, and I had no idea that characters would have differnt stuff to say on your characters appearance was. A shame that we probably won't see a sequel or spiritual succesor to this game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
...and my Renegade Mike run is complete. The finale was a bitch with only short range weapons.

I got the same ending as my first playthrough, since
my closet bro was Heck. I made an enemy of everyone else. I executed everyone I could and went with the aggressive or violent options in conversations. It was a lot of fun but I couldn't help but cringe during certain scenes. Mike can be a real fucking asshole.

Scarlet, Heck and Sie (who I never met) were the only main characters that were spared the wrath of Mike Thorton.

The best death: killing Leland at the end psychotic-prankster style: although I'm not sure how Mike managed to slip a mine into his pocket.

My appreciation of this game grew with my second playthrough. It played out very different than before, and there's still a ton of stuff I haven't done yet. I might need to play the games a few more times to really see everything.

Call me crazy, but I love this game. It breaks my heart that there will never be a sequel. ;_;

Every time this thread is bumped & I read about the game, the more I want it, but when I go to youtube to watch the actual gameplay & I wouldn't even want to spend a buck on it then.

Is the conversation/story that good to overcome the crappy stealth/shooting/control mechanics?
Deus Ex HR wasn't that good in all that either, but the story, exploration & hubs made that up for me.

hemtae

See You Next Wednesday said:
Every time this thread is bumped & I read about the game, the more I want it, but when I go to youtube to watch the actual gameplay & I wouldn't even want to spend a buck on it then.

Is the conversation/story that good to overcome the crappy stealth/shooting/control mechanics?
Deus Ex HR wasn't that good in all that either, but the story, exploration & hubs made that up for me.

Definitely

Snuggler said:
...and my Renegade Mike run is complete. The finale was a bitch with only short range weapons.

I got the same ending as my first playthrough, since
my closet bro was Heck. I made an enemy of everyone else. I executed everyone I could and went with the aggressive or violent options in conversations. It was a lot of fun but I couldn't help but cringe during certain scenes. Mike can be a real fucking asshole.

Scarlet, Heck and Sie (whom I never met) were the only main characters that were spared the wrath of Mike Thorton.

The best death: killing Leland at the end psychotic-prankster style: although I'm not sure how Mike managed to slip a mine into his pocket.

My appreciation of this game grew with my second playthrough. It played out very different than before, and there's still a ton of stuff I haven't done yet. I might need to play the games a few more times to really see everything.

Call me crazy, but I love this game. It breaks my heart that there will never be a sequel. ;_;

It's not that he slipped a mine, it's that he faked giving him the data, and instead gave him a mine, but was talking to him so much Leland didn't realize it.

Alpha Protocol was 2010's The Saboteur. Both great, overlooked games.

I think on my way to getting the Platinum trophy for the game on PS3, I played through it about 10 times, just because I did so many, many different things.

kai3345

Banned
Starting my Snuggler inspired Asshole run.

Last time i was more suave/sarcastic, but now I'm just being a straight up dick. I think the only guy I'm gonna be nice to is the weapons trainer, because he was the only one i was a dick to in my original run.

Le-mo

TheYanger said:
That sounds horribly wrong, I'm at 5 hours and I've still only been through Rome and Saudi Arabia, I haven't exactly been dallying around either. I always wanted to try this game, wish I had sooner. Shit is awesome as hell, like Mass Effect 2 mission structure, splinter cell or deus ex mission mechanics. I can dig it.
Yah, I was surprised myself. I didn't really rushed through it either. I searched every room thoroughly for items on my playthrough.

Kuran

Banned
I'm exited to finally get the chance to play it. I was pleasantly surprised that it is only about a gigabyte to download. I'm so tired by 10GB games.

Le-mo

Kuran said:
I'm exited to finally get the chance to play it. I was pleasantly surprised that it is only about a gigabyte to download. I'm so tired by 10GB games.
1GB? I thought it was more like 12?

Wallach

Well, it's two dollars on Steam. You won't lose much. I really don't think you'll like it, but who knows.

Kuran

Banned
Le-mo said:
1GB? I thought it was more like 12?

Might explain why it is taking so long to download according to Steam, ha ha... Steam's properties on the game tell me it is taking up 1110 MB to download, perhaps they forgot a 0?

Grayman

ya i did that to me the other day (i formatted, I would never uninstall this beauty) it downloads 11 or 12 gigs regardless of telling you it only needs a gig.

Le-mo

The gameplay takes a while to get used to, meaning a lot of patience. You just can't run and gun like in other shooters cause you'll miss most of the time. You will learn to enjoy it and if you like you can exploit the blind fire mechanic. The weakest part of the game to me is the stealth mechanic. It's really hard to sneak up on enemies since even the slightest movement or noise will get the enemies attention. Heck even sometimes opening the door gives you away.

The conversation is surprisingly deep and the story has quite a few surprises. For only $2 I wouldn't hesitate recommending it. Heck, I would even recommend it if it was $20. Buy the game and give it a shot.

Kuran said:
Might explain why it is taking so long to download according to Steam, ha ha... Steam's properties on the game tell me it is taking up 1110 MB to download, perhaps they forgot a 0?
Perhaps cause I could have sworn it was 12GB when I downloaded it.

VaeVictis

This game really hates to make a good first impression. If it wasn't for the price and the good word of mouth, I would have felt cheated if I bought it at full price.

The controls are more than "clunky", the camera keeps lagging when I move or look around, the hacking mini-game was already discussed and worse of all is the saving. How the hell am I supposed to know when I passed a check point and it's safe to save and quit? I am only at the beginning of the game and went to do the tutorial missions after my "break out". I hacked two terminals but then got tagged by a security camera. When I reloaded, I was back at the debriefing room! In good PC OCD fashion I must have saved a half dozen times in between that!

Obsidian are one of my favorite developers mainly due to the great stories and characters they come up with. I am also very forgiving to the myriad of bugs all their games ship upon release and therefore always wait a few months for patches to fix the most pressing matters. No luck with that with Alpha Protocol. SEGA really blew it by not letting them finish/patch it before release.

Le-mo

VaeVictis said:
This game really hates to make a good first impression. If it wasn't for the price and the good word of mouth, I would have felt cheated if I bought it at full price.

The controls are more than "clunky", the camera keeps lagging when I move or look around, the hacking mini-game was already discussed and worse of all is the saving. How the hell am I supposed to know when I passed a check point and it's safe to save and quit? I am only at the beginning of the game and went to do the tutorial missions after my "break out". I hacked two terminals but then got tagged by a security camera. When I reloaded, I was back at the debriefing room! In good PC OCD fashion I must have saved a half dozen times in between that!

Obsidian are one of my favorite developers mainly due to the great stories and characters they come up with. I am also very forgiving to the myriad of bugs all their games ship upon release and therefore always wait a few months for patches to fix the most pressing matters. No luck with that with Alpha Protocol. SEGA really blew it by not letting them finish/patch it before release.
I agree the controls can be clunky at times and camera lag problem (happened less when I used a 360 gamepad), but I had no problem knowing when I reached a checkpoint. A "Checkpoint" message would appear at the lower left corner when you have reached one. Did you not see it when you played the game?

Grayman

They are better than that good.

Card Boy

Banned

Just get it man it's 2 BUX!!! It's less than what it costs me to catch the train. You will get at least 20 hours from a first run through. The dialogue system is one of the best in recent years.

Do you work in a sweatshop earning 20 cents an hour or something?

Le-mo

Gez said:
Just get it man it's 2 BUX!!! It's less than what it costs me to catch the train. You will get at least 20 hours from a first run through. The dialogue system is one of the best in recent years.

Do you work in a sweatshop earning 20 cents an hour or something?
20 hours? I got 5.8 and I didn't rush through it.

Card Boy

Banned
Le-mo said:
20 hours? I got 5.8 and I didn't rush through it.

I meant with side quests. If you did all the sidequests then Steam must of wiped your hours.

BTW i was a Stealth character, so it may of taken me longer.

Grayman

5.8 hours sounds short even for holding w and shooting everything. It might be possible but it does sound likely to be poor tracking to me.

Le-mo

Gez said:
I meant with side quests. If you did all the sidequests then Steam must of wiped your hours.

BTW i was a Stealth character, so it may of taken me longer.
I completed all the missions that was available to me and as far as I know you can't buy side quests so I'm pretty sure I did all missions. Is Steam known to wipe hours?

Card Boy

Banned
Le-mo said:
Is Steam known to wipe hours?

Very much so. Ask Salsashark.

People have had hundreds of hours wiped from CS or TF2. They most i've lost from a game is 6 hours, but i've noticed its being getting worse and worse and more frequent.

daviyoung

Banned
Just finished it on PC after attempting to play it on both Xbox 360 and PS3, finally managed to give it a proper shot and got hooked. 11 hours total play time and I have to say it's one of my favourite games of this generation.

After Saudi Arabia (which I wish I could skip for my second playthrough) the game really picks up. Everything clicks and you're left to your own devices.

Everything people have said about the controls are justified, but after a few upgrades on my sneak, assault rifle and martial arts I was just stealthing my way through the levels and beating the crap out of anyone who wanted to trouble. The closest game I can compare this to is Deus Ex: Human Revolution and in many ways it absolutely kicks its ass. Missions are more linear, but the tension and fun are ten times higher, even with the terrible AI.

Even the mandatory bosses are easier to cheese,
Darcy can just be spammed with grenades in the little hut he hides in so long as you hide beneath it, and with Westridge I didn't even need to move from the inital pillar
and it gave me the sense that had I said the right things at the right times, a lot of the other bosses could have been avoided. And it's just as simple as saying 'let's fight!' either.

Which brings me onto the dialogue, oh man. It's like the most gnarled, over-grown forest of a dialogue tree I've played in a long time. The options seem endless. Piss someone off, they'll remember it. Do something wrong, you'll hear about it from everyone. Do something right, in comes air support to wipe out your targets. How did something so beautiful get missed?

Bad reviews and a bad publisher really hurt this game. Obsidian are left sucking dick for scratch when they should be given free reign to keep writing these beautiful stories and dialogues that are so rare in games.

It makes me sad that we likely won't get a game as intricate as this any more. Truly a one-of-a-kind and this generation's Vampire: The Masquerade.

zkylon

zkylewd
daviyoung said:
Bad reviews and a bad publisher really hurt this game. Obsidian are left sucking dick for scratch when they should be given free reign to keep writing these beautiful stories and dialogues that are so rare in games.
To be fair, Obsidian made a mess out of development of this game (i think the game was restarted three times, with changing project directors), so i wouldn't completely point at SEGA for its commercial failure or blame them for not pursuing a sequel.

Still, i really wish SEGA just sells them the IP and we get to see Obsidian create more characters the caliber of Heck, Marburg, Brayko, Sis, SIE, etc...

Wallach

daviyoung said:

Obsidian really does have the best writers in the business, I just wish they had better designers backing them up. Real shame.

This game makes no sense in spots. I went to infiltrate that VCI guy's villa, but apparently that meant "walk through the front door and have a chat" and then I got tazed in the process. The head honcho told the guards to beat me so I couldn't walk, and then the game lets me beat the shit out of the guards, but also big mr. mean VCI guy has warped out of the closed room. What did I miss here?

Vlodril

Still, i really wish SEGA just sells them the IP and we get to see Obsidian create more characters the caliber of Heck, Marburg, Brayko, Sis, SIE, etc...

I thought Obsidian said they do hold the rights to the ip.

legend166

Every game that has a conversation system and proposes to be about player choice should by law be forced to have the conversation system of Alpha Protocol.

By law.

daviyoung

Banned
zkylon said:
To be fair, Obsidian made a mess out of development of this game (i think the game was restarted three times, with changing project directors), so i wouldn't completely point at SEGA for its commercial failure or blame them for not pursuing a sequel.

Well if that's the case we should probably thank Sega for getting it made in the first place.

Labadal

zkylon said:

The changes were made because SEGA wanted them. There are several interviews out there that indicate that Obsidian had to redo a lot of things because SEGA were thinking it needed to be more actiony and less rpg. So the gameplay had to be changed somewhat.

Thornton in the final game is very different from how he was intended to be. They had already done the voice acting for "old" Thornton when they had to redo him.

Then the game was delayed for 6 months, and during this time, Obsidian were not allowed to actually work on improvements.

I'm not saying it's all SEGA's fault, but I'm also saying it's not entirely Obsidian's fault. It seems to me these companies did not share the same vision for the game.

Was anyone abele to get the achievement for
romancing all the ladies that were possible to get with in a single playthorugh?

On my third playthrough I was able to get with Madison in Italy, Mia and Scarlett before the final mission but wasn't able to romance SIE in the medical room at Alpha Protocol HQ. It was pretty funny getting with Mia as she asked were things over with Madison before doing the deed. Felt good, man.

Also you could
pass Leland a mine instead of the data? WTF never knew that. Do you haveto agree to help him first or something?

Btw, if you are going to do a replay of the game change the order you go to the hubs. I did Moscow, Rome, Taipei on my first playthorugh. Then Rome, Taipei, Moscow. Finally, Taipei, Moscow, Rome. It's cool seeing how things change due to this.

I'd also recommend doing a recruit playthough as the veteran option playthough is alot of fun. Dat
Gelatto shop flashback. I lol'd during that.

Labadal

Hank Scorpio said:
Was anyone abele to get the achievement for
romancing all the ladies that were possible to get with in a single playthorugh?

On my third playthrough I was able to get with Madison in Italy, Mia and Scarlett before the final mission but wasn't able to romance SIE in the medical room at Alpha Protocol HQ. It was pretty funny getting with Mia as she asked were things over with Madison before doing the deed. Felt good, man.

Also you could
pass Leland a mine instead of the data? WTF never knew that. Do you haveto agree to help him first or something?

Btw, if you are going to do a replay of the game change the order you go to the hubs. I did Moscow, Rome, Taipei on my first playthorugh. Then Rome, Taipei, Moscow. Finally, Taipei, Moscow, Rome. It's cool seeing how things change due to this.

I'd also recommend doing a recruit playthough as the veteran option playthough is alot of fun. Dat
Gelatto shop flashback. I lol'd during that.

You have to always be agressive with SIE.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hank Scorpio said:
Also you could

If
you choose to work for Haltech during the interrogation scene at the beginning of the finale, you can "re-evaluate" your decision at the very end of the game and either become bros with Leland or execute him by slipping him a mine.

It was a very satisfying end and so right for Psycho Mike.

Labadal said:
You have to always be agressive with SIE.

Between my two playthroughs, I've only seen her once. For my next playthrough I need to figure out how to work with (or plough) her

Labadal

Snuggler said:
If
you choose to work for Haltech during the interrogation scene at the beginning of the finale, you can "re-evaluate" your decision at the very end of the game and either become bros with Leland or execute him by slipping him a mine.

It was a very satisfying end and so right for Psycho Mike.

Between my two playthroughs, I've only seen her once. For my next playthrough I need to figure out how to work with (or plough) her

Always give her the agressive response. Always.

I romanced all the ladies on my last playthrough.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Labadal said:
Always give her the agressive response. Always.

I romanced all the ladies on my last playthrough.

This is my plan for my next playthrough, since I just finished my blue balls run. SIE would have dug my style, but all of the ladies I met hated me.

Top Bottom