• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon PC DD sales: THQ Pack for $7.50, [Make new threads for good sales]

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
Can someone sell me on Walking Dead? What makes it stand out from other point & click adventure games? I kind of want it but need to justify spending more money than I should be.
Nothing, but the gaming press is in awe since they don't need to solve any puzzles.

coopolon

Can someone sell me on Walking Dead? What makes it stand out from other point & click adventure games? I kind of want it but need to justify spending more money than I should be.

Gameplay wise it's terrible. It's basically baby's first p&c adventure. Where the game excels is interesting characters in interesting situations who have to make difficult and morally ambiguous choices (and then have to deal with the consequences of said choices.) It's a relatively novel experience in videogames, but also in my opinion probably one of the most overrated experiences in recent years. In addition, the game is plagued by save game bugs on the PC where it either doesn't see your save game, or doesn't carry the choices from your save game over. And in a game where the central premise is that your choices matter, that's a pretty big screw up.

Having said all that, it is a good game and easily worth your $7.50, just don't go into it expecting to have your world changed. Alternatively you could wait another year to see if they ever fix the savegame bug, but it is a game that would be ruined by spoilers so if there's any chance it might be spoiled for you and you are interested in playing it, you really should buy it and play it now.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well I'm very glad I kept a coupon handy for this. Less than £5 for one the most highly rated games of 2012? Bargain.

Kammie

Gameplay wise it's terrible. It's basically baby's first p&c adventure. Where the game excels is interesting characters in interesting situations who have to make difficult and morally ambiguous choices (and then have to deal with the consequences of said choices.) It's a relatively novel experience in videogames, but also in my opinion probably one of the most overrated experiences in recent years. In addition, the game is plagued by save game bugs on the PC where it either doesn't see your save game, or doesn't carry the choices from your save game over. And in a game where the central premise is that your choices matter, that's a pretty big screw up.

Having said all that, it is a good game and easily worth your $7.50, just don't go into it expecting to have your world changed. Alternatively you could wait another year to see if they ever fix the savegame bug, but it is a game that would be ruined by spoilers so if there's any chance it might be spoiled for you and you are interested in playing it, you really should buy it and play it now.
Thanks for what seem to be your honest thoughts.

Based on this and others' comments... I'll take a chance. I own a ton of adventure games on Steam but haven't really played any yet, so I don't think the lack of puzzles will play against the game for me.

Caerith

Sometimes adventure games are just visual novels with more clicking. TWD is really good despite the technical flaws, and even if it won't change your life, it's something that people will be talking about for years.

coopolon

Thanks for what seem to be your honest thoughts.

Based on this and others' comments... I'll take a chance. I own a ton of adventure games on Steam but haven't really played any yet, so I don't think the lack of puzzles will play against the game for me.

It is a great experience, I paid 12.50 and didn't regret it. My only advice is research the save bug before you start, there are things you can do to protect yourself because it would ruin the game to have to replay episodes.

Kammie

It is a great experience, I paid 12.50 and didn't regret it. My only advice is research the save bug before you start, there are things you can do to protect yourself because it would ruin the game to have to replay episodes.
Thanks, I'll look into it before I play.

dani_dc

Anyone knows how long The Darkness II will last?
I'm divided over using my last $5 discount on it or waiting to see if any further deals get added.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is the only game I want Amazon to place up now! If only I listened to the Giantbomb Cast GOTY episodes when this game was $5!

Exactly. I totally though about it back then, but I didn't care at the time - I never played the Original Syndicate and I really don't need another FPS.

Jeff selling it HARD on the top10 of the year cast made me want it, just to see if it's everything he says it is. I don't see how it can possibly be better than Binary Domain or Sleeping Dogs.

I thought Syndicate was awful?

Did you play it or are you just talking about the hive?

There's a lot to love about Syndicate. The campaign is a fun 7-8 hours. The environments are very interesting and the gunplay is great. Co-op is where it really shines. Some of the best of the gen, imo.

I'm guessing you haven't played it as you say "awful" which it isn't. It may not be the greatest game ever, but it's not awful at all. You should go ahead and give that a whirl.

DagsJT

There's a lot to love about Syndicate. The campaign is a fun 7-8 hours. The environments are very interesting and the gunplay is great. Co-op is where it really shines. Some of the best of the gen, imo.

I'm guessing you haven't played it as you say "awful" which it isn't. It may not be the greatest game ever, but it's not awful at all. You should go ahead and give that a whirl.

Nope, not played it. I loved the original Syndicate and was pretty excited but reviews and user impressions mainly said it was just very, very average if not poor.

I guess I'll give it a go if it comes up very cheap.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
hmm. how do you guys check the number of coupons you have? weren't they automatically added to your account?

You received one email for each coupon you had at the moment you got them. So count your emails.

I had two, I made one purchase, I have one left. Simple math, really.

wilflare

You received one email for each coupon you had at the moment you got them. So count your emails.

I had two, I made one purchase, I have one left. Simple math, really.

thanks! time to sink into the email abyss (haven't checked them for some time due to all the travelling :X)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
thanks! time to sink into the email abyss (haven't checked them for some time due to all the travelling :X)

Here's part of the email to help you narrow it down. Subject is "Your Amazon.com Promotional Credit":

Thank you for your purchase from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned a $5 credit toward the purchase of select game downloads starting 1/1/2013 and good through 1/31/2013. To redeem your reward, simply visit http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511 in January 2013, click "Buy and Download", and your promotional code will automatically be applied to your game download. Qualifying codes for this promotion may only be used one at a time.

Kammie

I don't know if 1-click purchases exist for videogames. But if you normally have to confirm after clicking Buy, like I do, it'll show you the total price with any discounts applied. You can try that to see if you have some credit.

Edit: I say this because I had only two emails, but three $5 credits.

Salaadin

The Walking Dead for 7.49 after coupon. Based on what Ive heard about this game, thats a huge steal.
I didnt even know I had another credit but there it was on checkout. Was all ready to spend 12 bucks :p

Thanks Amazon!

sonicmj1

I'm enjoying Syndicate when I got it for $5, but I don't know if I can continue. I have this bug caused by my weak graphics card that makes character models practically invisible at a distance, and unless I can blunder into some settings change that fixes it, I don't think I want to keep playing it in "invisible enemies" mode.

Tizoc

How is Darkness II? Seen some memebers recommend it over at the Steam thread. I'm not a big fan of games with a FPS view perspective.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How is Darkness II? Seen some memebers recommend it over at the Steam thread. I'm not a big fan of games with a FPS view perspective.

Please buy it, it's one of the finest games of last year. Very good.

Piano

Banned
There, I bought it. I even bought Duke Nukem Forever T_T

Don't play it. I didn't beat it but it's still 5 hours of my life I'll never have back.

Actually, do play it. It's fascinating just how terrible it is. It combines the worst aspects of two decades of shooters into one completely disjointed shit show.

Don't play it. I didn't beat it but it's still 5 hours of my life I'll never have back.

Actually, do play it. It's fascinating just how terrible it is. It combines the worst aspects of two decades of shooters into one completely disjointed shit show.

But... titties.

No I didn't play it

sleepykyo

Curse my poor fps skills. It took me about 8 hours on easy. The brothel in Darkness 2 was better than the stripclub in Duke Nukem Forever.

@Tizoc, somewhat spoilerish but you can grab enemy shields and impale them with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03GPgHkwg8

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The dragon age pack didn't get discounted yet, did it?

coopolon

I played it and thought it was awful. There is something very wrong with the mouse controls on the PC, the use of bloom is egregiously bad, to the point of actually hurting enjoyment of the game, and there is some white shit on the screen for some reason.

But for 2.50, who cares, might as well try it.

Shaneus

I played it and thought it was awful. There is something very wrong with the mouse controls on the PC, the use of bloom is egregiously bad, to the point of actually hurting enjoyment of the game, and there is some white shit on the screen for some reason.

But for 2.50, who cares, might as well try it.
Is it finally on sale now? I thought I checked this morning and it wasn't.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not yet. Still $29.99
The Secret World is back to $17.99 again.
Thought the list would be updated already. -_-
I really recommend The Secret World at that price, if you're used to the trappings of MMO's, its actually a great set of quests with dense atmosphere. They did some great things with this game and playing it like a single player open world game is very viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom