• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

I'm very close to buying Binary Domain solely based on all the GAF love. I tried the demo but didn't really think it was anything special. What makes it so great? How long is it?

Alucrid

Banned
I'm very close to buying Binary Domain solely based on all the GAF love. I tried the demo but didn't really think it was anything special. What makes it so great? How long is it?

About 9 hours for one playthrough.

Just saw videos of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine and boy does it look fun...I'm on the fence about buying it....shucks

I got it free from PSN+ and it's pretty standard fare as far as hack and slash games go. If you have any interest in the WH40k universe though I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable.

Mairu

I'd also be interested in opinions on NFS The Run. $10 is cheap, but not cheap enough to blind buy on an EA title

About 9 hours for one playthrough.

I got it free from PSN+ and it's pretty standard fare as far as hack and slash games go. If you have any interest in the WH40k universe though I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable.

Wait, what? Standard hack n slash with guns? That ain't standard at all. Space Marine feels VERY original imo.

Koroviev

Eh, $1=1hour so that was worth it for me, plus there's multiplayer and what not that I haven't touched.

I withhold responsibility if you hate it.

Has anyone successfully used a PS3 controller with Binary Domain? I tried using MotionJoy, which works for everything else, but the game kept crashing. Wasn't feeling it at all with KB + M.

Alucrid

Banned
Wait, what? Standard hack n slash with guns? That ain't standard at all. Space Marine feels VERY original imo.

Just because it has guns doesn't make it all that original, nor does it mean it's not a hack and slash. I felt that they were pretty underpowered for the most part as well. Dynasty Warrior Gundams has guns, KUF:CoD had ranged weapons. It still doesn't change the fact that you're just plowing through waves of enemies.

Eh, $1=1hour so that was worth it for me, plus there's multiplayer and what not that I haven't touched.

I withhold responsibility if you hate it.

My point is I want shorter games since I rarely play games to completion anymore. Anyway I bought it now and
your head will roll if it sucks.

Just because it has guns doesn't make it all that original, nor does it mean it's not a hack and slash. I felt that they were pretty underpowered for the most part as well. Dynasty Warrior Gundams has guns, KUF:CoD had ranged weapons. It still doesn't change the fact that you're just plowing through waves of enemies.

I'm not going to argue game mechanics or merits of this game (I love it by the way). But I will say, if you are doing ANYTHING in the Warhammer Universe (40K or not) without "plowing through waves of enemies"...you are doing it wrong...fact.

Cheers,
Tony

I hear this is an accurate way to gauge your interest:

therunave3k.gif

Is this Cobie Smulders?

Alucrid

Banned
I'm not going to argue game mechanics or merits of this game (I love it by the way). But I will say, if you are doing ANYTHING in the Warhammer Universe (40K or not) without "plowing through waves of enemies"...you are doing it wrong...fact.

Cheers,
Tony

Ha, true enough, which is why if you have even an inkling of interest in the universe it's a definite buy. I still think Fire Warrior was my favorite WH40K games though.

What makes it original is the way it uses those things in combination. There is a fantastic risk/reward of getting in close on enemies because if you pull off execution moves then you get more life back. In fact, when you are low on health and at a distance one of the best solution is often to charge head first into a mob and rack up a stun combo and start executing.

That makes it play way differently than any other action game I've ever played.

I thoroughly loved that game. I just bought during the recent sale and I played through the entire thing in 2 days. I think it says a lot about the quality of the core mechanics that I didn't get bored even though the level design wasn't terribly original.

Space Marine is an absolute blast. As I stated before, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is just pure magic on my computer. One of the best looking PC games Ive played (PC gamer since, oh.... April 15, 2012 ; ) and just fun. Fun, fun, fun. Thinking about The Run as well. Would like to get some impressions on that one first.

Alucrid

Banned
What makes it original is the way it uses those things in combination. There is a fantastic risk/reward of getting in close on enemies because if you pull off execution moves then you get more life back. In fact, when you are low on health and at a distance one of the best solution is often to charge head first into a mob and rack up a stun combo and start executing.

That makes it play way differently than any other action game I've ever played.

I thoroughly loved that game. I just bought during the recent sale and I played through the entire thing in 2 days. I think it says a lot about the quality of the core mechanics that I didn't get bored even though the level design wasn't terribly original.

I'm not really seeing the risk/reward thing. I found ranged weapons to largely be useless unless it was a(n) (un)mounted one or if the enemy was out of melee reach. Otherwise I'd just melee everyone since it was faster and execution prompts are simple to get. I'm still not seeing the originality, instead of kill people get health it's just kill people with this button prompt for a canned action sequence and get health. I'm not saying that it's not fun or enjoyable, just that I think stating it as largely original is a bit of a stretch.

VALIS

NFS The Run is a good arcade driving game. Not a modern classic or anything, but well worth a tenner. The story is shockingly stupid, the cut scenes are laugh out loud bad... as they are in 95% of video games ever made.

The demo may be the prologue, which IS condensed shit. After playing it, I was very close to just uninstalling the game and coming to GAF to tell all of you how goddamn awful you are. During the cut-scene in which you're introduced to the rest of the team, I actually got mad because it was defiantly entertaining me. So, I kept playing because I remembered the first time I played Tomb Raider. That was underwhelming, too -- until I found the t-rex. The spider is Binary Domain's t-rex.

Ha, true enough, which is why if you have even an inkling of interest in the universe it's a definite buy. I still think Fire Warrior was my favorite WH40K games though.

I played the original warhammer for the playstation (right?) more hours than I can count...I remember it took me literally like a week to figure out that I wasn't supposed to kill the dragon, I was supposed to run by while the dwarf distracted it...

Cheers,
Tony

hlhbk

NFS The Run is a good arcade driving game. Not a modern classic or anything, but well worth a tenner. The story is shockingly stupid, the cut scenes are laugh out loud bad... as they are in 95% of video games ever made.

Story is the main reason I play games. If its that bad I will skip over this.

mosesjohn

Neo Member
Has anyone successfully used a PS3 controller with Binary Domain? I tried using MotionJoy, which works for everything else, but the game kept crashing. Wasn't feeling it at all with KB + M.

hey ive been using the motionjoy no problem... i have mine set to xinput (emulates 360 controller). Make sure to enable it and then reconfigure binary domain to both use the 360 as your input and input display. Works fine, if you know which 360 buttons correspond to which ps3 buttons. I've played it for a couple of hours and I haven't crashed yet.

Koroviev

hey ive been using the motionjoy no problem... i have mine set to xinput (emulates 360 controller). Make sure to enable it and then reconfigure binary domain to both use the 360 as your input and input display. Works fine, if you know which 360 buttons correspond to which ps3 buttons. I've played it for a couple of hours and I haven't crashed yet.

Okay, I'll give it another shot.

KissVibes

Banned
Story is the main reason I play games. If its that bad I will skip over this.

The story beats are just there to set up race events and set pieces. It is, after all, a racing game. There's actually quite a few awesome set pieces in the game. The one at the end in particular was real intense.

hlhbk

Then you should REALLY play Driver: San Francisco. Great game and great story.

I tried the demo. The car handling was terrible. To the guy before this currently I am playing Deus Ex HR, also love Bioshock, and minus the final 10 minutes of ME 3 consider Mass Effect great story telling. Also Alan Wake and Spec Ops The Line are recent playthroughs that were great.

hlhbk

Huh! Interesting. That concept is so foreign to me it's like saying, "I love pizza for those flat boxes they come in."

I have been playing games for almost 30 years, mindless games where you play for no reason (Fez, Splosion man, and Super Meat Boy aside) have lost all interest for me. It better have a gripping narrative or I won't even give it a 2nd look most of the time. This is exactly why I hate all MMO's except SWTOR.

kaskade

I tried the demo. The car handling was terrible. To the guy before this currently I am playing Deus Ex HR, also love Bioshock, and minus the final 10 minutes of ME 3 consider Mass Effect great story telling. Also Alan Wake and Spec Ops The Line are recent playthroughs that were great.

You should give it some time. It took me a while to get used to. Once I did though I loved it, I've been playing it a whole lot.

Thrakier

Well, this is great. I bought The Run and wanted to play it with my 360 controller. For whatever reason the game doesn't recognize my controller, besides showing the right button prompts. It's the only game not working with it. Is EA trolling me?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So I gotta ask how is NFS the run?

It got crapped on when it came out, but it is a racing game that tries to take the genre is a new direction. A direction where the story is linear, but it is the focal point. I really applaud them for trying something different in the genre.

Honestly it is a series of different types of races with cutscenes and QTEs thrown in. I found it to be fun and for 10 bucks, it is a bargain. The only issue I had was some of the tracks/roads had features that weren't exactly consistent. Meaning you could drive over/through some "scenery" while other items would make you stop in your tracks. It wasn't a biggie really, but it usually meant you would have to d the race over. But since most races are short, it isn't much of a big deal.

Again, I liked it because it was a twist on the genre. Not the usual, "collect cars and race" that you usually see.

scitek

Well, this is great. I bought The Run and wanted to play it with my 360 controller. For whatever reason the game doesn't recognize my controller, besides showing the right button prompts. It's the only game not working with it. Is EA trolling me?
Wtf you didn't start a thread? Jk

I bought it and my 360 pad works fine, so no.

Edit:also, the framerate cap was removed in the latest patch. Races run at 60fps now. (cutscenes are still 30 though so transitions can be a little jarring)

Top Bottom