• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

RyanDG

Just noticed Sword of the Stars Complete (and their individual units are on sale) for digital copies... That's the primary thing I was waiting for from the Steam sale with the hope they would run on my laptop (and the price is low enough I think I would be happy with just buying it now and not waiting). I know there are like 6 - 7 demos floating around of it right now, does anyone happen to know what the most recent demo was? I need to try this out before I plunk down the money for it since I won't have access to my gaming pc for a while with my move.

I want to buy Need for Speed HP for $5 but all of the recent 1 star reviews saying the key doesn't work are scaring me off. Should I just wait for a Steam sale? I have not purchased any games off Amazon Download yet as I just built this PC last week.

I want to buy Need for Speed HP for $5 but all of the recent 1 star reviews saying the key doesn't work are scaring me off. Should I just wait for a Steam sale? I have not purchased any games off Amazon Download yet as I just built this PC last week.

That's not an issue, if there is amazon will fix it and really quickly.

I just played an hour and a half of Binary Domain and I must say this game is so much more than I was expecting. Loving the voice acting and found myself with a huge grin on my face when
you meet up with the British and Chinese.

XEROWUN

Neo Member

its already been fixed. this happened very early when the deal came out. i bought it friday night and the eky was fine. tony confirmed they fixed the issue friday afternoon

Thrakier

Wtf you didn't start a thread? Jk

I bought it and my 360 pad works fine, so no.

Edit:also, the framerate cap was removed in the latest patch. Races run at 60fps now. (cutscenes are still 30 though so transitions can be a little jarring)

Well, I had to deinstall my second gamepad and it's a common problem with The Run.

You can uncap the framerate, but there is no 60 with vsync option. The game is stuttering from time to time anyway, with locked 30 or unlocked 75...

Also, why is there still no FSAA in this game? I thought they patched it in?

tmarques

Bought the X-Com pack. Considering I've never played a single game in the series, should I start with the first one or one of the sequels? I'm not sure I'll ever have time to play all of them, so if the sequels are signficantly improved, I might skip the original entirely. And are any of the sequels one of those abominations that shouldn't even have been made?

see5harp

I can't think of many games that are good at telling stories. Portal 2 is really the only thing I remember recently. Binary Domain isn't bad either. Aside from that though...

scitek

Well, I had to deinstall my second gamepad and it's a common problem with The Run.

You can uncap the framerate, but there is no 60 with vsync option. The game is stuttering from time to time anyway, with locked 30 or unlocked 75...

Also, why is there still no FSAA in this game? I thought they patched it in?

Turn in-game vsync off and force it through D3DOverrider/RadeonPro/Inspector (no idea what kinda card you hace) if you want 60fps. Or use MSI Afterburner or Inspector to cap the framerate at 60 if that doesn't work. Or combine the two. You have some options.

I can't think of many games that are good at telling stories. Portal 2 is really the only thing I remember recently. Binary Domain isn't bad either. Aside from that though...
Theres actually a lot.
Max Payne 1 & 2
Half Life series
Silent Hill series
Spec Ops:The Line
Bishock
MGS Series
Condemned:Criminal Origins
and many more
Theres a lot of them out there.

Sorry I missed your question.

1. I know we're working on getting all of Capcom's catalog up, this has been a slow process.

2. I have 0 visibility into their patch cycle, but I'm working on running a sale in conjunction with their products launching on site.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks Tony I really appreciate your effort in answering this and everyone else's questions, I sometimes wonder if you sleep.

That's not an issue, if there is amazon will fix it and really quickly.

We fixed this issue. Someone forgot to turn our keys on when we got our last batch, this is now fixed.

Thanks Tony I really appreciate your effort in answering this and everyone else's questions, I sometimes wonder if you sleep.

2-3 hours per night :).

Cheers,
Tony

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm very close to buying Binary Domain solely based on all the GAF love. I tried the demo but didn't really think it was anything special. What makes it so great? How long is it?
ibihziPc0q7QuV.jpg

You don't think this is cool?

omae wa mo shindeiru

see5harp

Theres actually a lot.
Max Payne 1 & 2
Half Life series
Silent Hill series
Spec Ops:The Line
Bishock
MGS Series
Condemned:Criminal Origins
and many more
Theres a lot of them out there.

Recently is what I meant and sure some have passable stories. I don't mind a compelling story but it is by far the least important aspect of a videogame, at least where we are at right now. MGS is not a good story.

Tess3ract

Banned
You should have read my post after playing a while:
It goes to everyone ITT

Gonna be honest, some of the game pisses me off. The inclusion of quick time events for no reason that add nothing but frustration, because they're pass/fail markers. The maddening boss fights that are either unclear how to "solve" them, the frustrating boss fights where you have to use a specific weapon in order to complete it, or your teammates going "hey, hey dan, hey dan, hey hey, why arent you doing this, hey dan what are you doing" every 5 seconds even though I'm trying but the boss is knocking me on my ass as soon as I get up several times in a row, etc

Other than that I liked the rest of the game. Someone mentioned part of the hard thing to get across in a trailer was how fun it is to play, and I agree. The characters are all awesome, the gunplay sounds awesome and feels awesome. It just is not perfect is all.

We fixed this issue. Someone forgot to turn our keys on when we got our last batch, this is now fixed.

2-3 hours per night :).

Cheers,
Tony

Haha, I was going to say that but couldn't remember if it was the exact game so I changed it just in case.

Edit: Since I just remembered, did you hear anything more about nhl 09 still saying currently unavailable?

Koroviev

That's what I said.

...sorry, I'll get off your case. It just baffles me a bit how someone can play video games solely for story when it's by far the weakest aspect of the medium (so far).

Yeah, that's how I feel. At the same time, I appreciate interesting characters and good character design. I'm just not one to follow the overarching plot very closely, instead focusing on certain relationships or the development of individual characters.

Why isn't Amazon pre-selling a digital version of Guild Wars 2? I need a deal on that game, man.

They're debating what they want to name my first kid. Once they settle on that, and the plan for what they plan on doing with my soul, we should have the NCSoft catalog up for sale, including GW2 pre-orders, once those decisions are made.

Cheers,
Tony

Well, beat the first part of NFS: The Run. I really like it! Not as much as Hot Pursuit, but its a looking, and racing with traffic, and perfectly weaving in and out feels really good!

Id say its worth $10. The story, as discussed, is silly, but for my taste, I couldn't care less.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
That's what I said.

...sorry, I'll get off your case. It just baffles me a bit how someone can play video games solely for story when it's by far the weakest aspect of the medium (so far).

In my case, playing a game for the mechanics alone is just too boring. I play these games if the mechanics are good enough, of course (e.g., Chime), but there typically just isn't enough there to keep my interest engaged for long. But good mechanics paired with engaging narratives are golden for me - I can play such games for hours at a time (e.g., the Uncharted games, the Mass Effect games (even 3 was worth it, up until the last 10 minutes)). I'll take a game with a good story and adequate gameplay over a game with no story and excellent gameplay any day.

Lain

Played some more Binary Domain after remapping some keys, it feels better, though I still have some annoyances. Hopefully they'll go away with more playtime as I get used to the game.
The encounter with the rest of the squad was fun and
Faye
is going to be a fixed member of my party, I think.

Elginer

OK could someone please guide me to where EA chat is to get this newly purchase Bulletstorm on Origin? Thanks in advance.

scitek

I'd recommend The Run to anyone on the fence. I think it's fun, and it runs great. I'm getting flawless 60fps while downsampling from 2880x1620.

Elginer

OK EA chat was zero fucking help. In fact, they told me my activation key was invalid and to contact Amazon.

What the crap. Is this guy giving me the piss Tony or what?

scitek

OK EA chat was zero fucking help. In fact, they told me my activation key was invalid and to contact Amazon.

It's a GFWL key, not an Origin one. You have to call EA and apparently they'll add it that way.

It's a GFWL key, not an Origin one. You have to call EA and apparently they'll add it that way.

try again, you'll find someone helpful if you're persistent.

Nope. It's useless. Call them, trust me. It took about 10 minutes and I got it added no problem.

EDIT: Woops, double post.

Yeah I wish I could directly help with this, it sounds like the best solution our customers have come up with is to call Origin support. Sorry man, if our CS reps had the power to help we'd have them do so :(.

I thought their Origin chat would work, apparently not.

Tony where are the new deals? You promised!
Except you didn't but who cares about the details.

Lol, working on it, didn't get any calls back today, indicating people are still out from the 4th...or tired of hearing from me.

Will update as soon as I have info.

Cheers,
Tony

Elginer

Of all the times for their actual call centers to be down, today is it. Sweet! Screw it, I'll just download it and use that horrible GFWL log in. Damn you Origin and damn you Microsoft and your stupid attempt at trying to be like Steam.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Of all the times for their actual call centers to be down, today is it. Sweet! Screw it, I'll just download it and use that horrible GFWL log in. Damn you Origin and damn you Microsoft and your stupid attempt at trying to be like Steam.

I think it's past the time they would be open anyways.

To be honest, it's more Amazon's fault than Origin's. Origin's live chat support is indeed shitty, but Amazon should make this more transparent.

K' Dash

They registered my game on Origin and I still had to do that GFWL shite.

Edit: I did it thru chat.

I think it's past the time they would be open anyways.

To be honest, it's more Amazon's fault than Origin's. Origin's live chat support is indeed shitty, but Amazon should make this more transparent.

lol wut?

it's amazon's fault that EA's CS is shit and they don't care about making a standard procedure to make all games work flawlessly with their client? I mean it's not third party games, you'd think at least first party and games published by them shouldn't have this kind of problems.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
lol wut?

it's amazon's fault that EA's CS is shit and they don't care about making a standard procedure to make all games work flawlessly with their client? I mean it's not third party games, you'd think at least first party and games published by them shouldn't have this kind of problems.

EA never said this game would register with Origin. People are just thinking it will because the others do. This is a GFW game and you get a GFW code. You can download it and play it fine without registering it with Origin. EA is actually kind of going out of their way to give you an Origin code for a game that existed before Origin did and probably has other deals with Microsoft since it's GFW.

There is no obligation for EA to let you register this game with Origin. The game exists on Origin, and yes it is published by EA, but you're just making the assumption that EA = Origin even though that's not really the case with games that existed before Origin.

I was very happy that I got the game working on Origin after a lackluster CS moment with the live chat, but a great with the phone call. I think it's up to Amazon to clearly list out what games register with what services.

Elginer

They registered my game on Origin and I still had to do that GFWL shite.

Edit: I did it thru chat.

lol wut?

I blame EA in all of this crap. Why the hell are you going to be pushing Origin and then some games you decide to use GFWL and then not others. Talk about mixed messaging. Make all of your games through your damn client and be done with it.

K' Dash

EA never said this game would register with Origin. People are just thinking it will because the others do. This is a GFW game and you get a GFW code. You can download it and play it fine without registering it with Origin. EA is actually kind of going out of their way to give you an Origin code for a game that existed before Origin did and probably has other deals with Microsoft since it's GFW.

There is no obligation for EA to let you register this game with Origin. The game exists on Origin, and yes it is published by EA, but you're just making the assumption that EA = Origin even though that's not really the case with games that existed before Origin.

I was very happy that I got the game working on Origin after a lackluster CS moment with the live chat, but a great with the phone call. I think it's up to Amazon to clearly list out what games register with what services.

Here is your answer:

I blame EA in all of this crap. Why the hell are you going to be pushing Origin and then some games you decide to use GFWL and then not others. Talk about mixed messaging. Make all of your games through your damn client and be done with it.

Origin is EA's platform/client if their own games won't work with it... well..............

I think it's up to Amazon to clearly list out what games register with what services.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EnbWfOyvL._AA300_.jpg

Games for Windows Live is pretty clearly labeled on the box shot, which is the only image on the page.

Are you saying that you think, for every product, we should denote what services it does not activate on?

So in, this case, we would have a note on the page that reads:

Note: This game requires Games for Windows Live activation but does not activate on Origin, Steam, Desura, Impulse, or Gamefly.

and that, for every product that does not activate on one of these services we should indicate so on page?

That doesn't seem reasonable.

Cheers,
Tony

Zat

Neo Member

There's no way you should be blaming Amazon. They don't claim anywhere that this game should register on Origin; they only say (correctly) that the game will be stored and available in your Amazon games library.

I wouldn't say EA is misleading customers either but I have to admit they're not doing a great work making it clear which titles activate on Origin and which don't. And the performance of their customer service is inconsistent as fuck.

Top Bottom