• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX6800/RX6800XT Reviews/Benchmarks Thread |OT|

Ironbunny

"Due to highly limited stock we don't take in orders of reference models. Wait for third party cards to make an order." On store order page here :D

waylo

Banned
Basically what I expected. Solid card for raster performance, but once you factor in RT and DLSS, it's really not too close.

In reality though, who buys a $600+ GPU to play at 1080p/1440p with just regular raster? If I'm buying a card for that much, I want all the bells and whistles, and unfortunately AMD falls quite a bit short in that category.

supernova8

Banned
There are 6800xt's on ebay now, bids are topping $3000.

Ridiculous.

Edit: make that $9000. Looks like the scalpers are being trolled :messenger_sunglasses:

Yeah is the "possible image of 6800 XT" stuff? Looks like scams. It's actually a funny way to troll the scalpers who clearly don't even have theirs in hand yet.

MadYarpen

"Due to highly limited stock we don't take in orders of reference models. Wait for third party cards to make an order." On store order page here :D
Waiting for partners' models makes sense anyway - you can see the reviews, and make the decision - also maybe some more NVidia cards will show up and we can actually have a choice.

ethomaz

Banned
Trading blows with the 3080 without RTX, but the 3080 is still slightly ahead generally. That raytracing performance is worse than I expected though, it's so far off AND no DLSS alternative (yet) to counter it.

Very good showing by AMD, especially those high clocks and temperatures are great. But for only 50 bucks less than a 3080 FE, the severely lacking raytracing performance really hurts.
The RT performance is in line with PS5/Xbox.

PS5/Xbox = RTX 2060
6800XT = RXT 2070.

It was already expected.

Edit - Fixed the 0.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Basically what I expected. Solid card for raster performance, but once you factor in RT and DLSS, it's really not too close.

In reality though, who buys a $600+ GPU to play at 1080p/1440p with just regular raster? If I'm buying a card for that much, I want all the bells and whistles, and unfortunately AMD falls quite a bit short in that category.

I would happily pay 1000$ for a card with regular raster speed if it runs fast on 4k. Couldn't give rats ass about RT now.

evanft

Raster wise it's indeed a very good showing (especially at 1440p). They're definitely back in the high end game. BUT.. I'm sorry to say but that kind of performance with RT is just not enough. It's basically useless at 1440p (look at those Control fps). It's a repeat of Turing and there's a reason RT was so decried back then, nobody buys high end GPUs to play at 1080p60fps. Even if their Super Resolution ends up being a good perf uplift it will be barely playable at 1440p.

Agreed.

This card would be compelling if it were $150-$200 cheaper than a 3080, but given the performance I think you're better off buying a 3080 unless you're gaming at 1080p and do not care about RT at all.

PS5/Xbox = RTX 2600
6800XT = RXT 2700.

It was already expected.

Oof level: Massive.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm watching Hardware Unboxed's review of the RX 6800 XT and thus far the card is consistently faster than the RTX 3080 at 1440p and either equal or slightly slower at 4K.

Also, it's only slightly slower than the RTX 3090 at both 1440p and 4K, which indicates that the RX 6900 XT will be consistently faster than the RTX 3090 (barring driver updates).

VFXVeteran

Banned
Once again my educated predictions come to truth.

The REAL value in these next-gen GPUs is the RT. Without that - you have nothing but an upgraded 2080Ti for rasterization.

AMD boards are nearly 2x slower on average than the 3090. And that's without using DLSS 2.0.

That's the reason these Nvidia boards cost what they do. They deliver where it counts.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Capture.PNG

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm watching Hardware Unboxed's review of the RX 6800 XT and thus far the card is consistently faster than the RTX 3080 at 1440p and either equal or slightly slower at 4K.

Also, it's only slightly slower than the RTX 3090 at both 1440p and 4K, which indicates that the RX 6900 XT will be consistently faster than the RTX 3090 (barring driver updates).

We don't care about rasterization. We care about ray-tracing. And these boards aren't worth their price just for rasterization when most games will utilize RT.

Pagusas

Elden Member
We don't care about rasterization. We care about ray-tracing. And these boards aren't worth their price just for rasterization when most games will utilize RT.

Seriously, who the heck is buying this card so they can play last gen games or new games with features disabled? All these people that dont care about RT, what exactly are you buying high end flag ship graphic cards for? These cards are $100 - $200 overpriced given there lack of performance/features where it counts.

Last edited:
I prefer old fashioned site reviews than YT, anyway the overall impression is that the 6800 is on par with the RTX 3080 so along as your not using DLSS or ray tracing.

Hexus, Tweakers, Kitguru.

It's ray tracing performance is around RTX 2080 levels give or take.

Not bad at all by any means and RT isnt going to be something everyone wants though there's no denying Nvidia have a significant technological edge in this area.

VFXVeteran

Banned
geordiemp geordiemp - sorry man. AMD boards don't have what it takes to push to the next-level of ray-tracing. As I said before again and again, it was an afterthought and never really meant to be released this soon from AMD. But they got pressured and had to do something. So they hijacked their TMUs and decided to put code in there for it. But that chokes the entire graphics pipeline doing that. Without Tensor cores either, the RT is dead in the water.

We don't care about rasterization. We care about ray-tracing*. And these boards aren't worth their price just for rasterization when most games will utilize RT.
*Your mileage may vary.

When most games actually utilise real time ray-tracing, both Ampere and RDNA2 will be outdated.
For the moment, the vast majority of games do not utilise RT and in that sense they are absolutely worth their price. Particularly if you game at 1440p and below.

If Minecraft RTX is your jam, then go Nvidia. AMD's OpenGL performance is not good without RT forget about with full path-tracing enabled.

geordiemp geordiemp - sorry man. AMD boards don't have what it takes to push to the next-level of ray-tracing. As I said before again and again, it was an afterthought and never really meant to be released this soon from AMD. But they got pressured and had to do something. So they hijacked their TMUs and decided to put code in there for it. But that chokes the entire graphics pipeline doing that. Without Tensor cores either, the RT is dead in the water.

Its about as much of an afterthought as Turing RTX then, given that they're getting the same or better performance as Turing at ray tracing.
Ampere has the advantage of being the second generation. RDNA2 is not at all bad for a first attempt.

Given how much performance they clawed back in rasterization in just one generation at the same node, I wouldn't rule AMD out of making a similar jump in performance with ray tracing in their next generation of GPUs.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I know it’s a bit early but where do you think RDNA 3 cards will land in ray-tracing performance compared to an RTX 3080?

Andodalf

Banned

The REAL value in these next-gen GPUs is the RT. Without that - you have nothing but an upgraded 2080Ti for rasterization.

AMD boards are nearly 2x slower on average than the 3090. And that's without using DLSS 2.0.

That's the reason these Nvidia boards cost what they do. They deliver where it counts.

VFX right as always. Felt like the 5 or so of us in the announcement thread who pointed out obvious truths were on an island. Hilarious to look back on.

regawdless

Banned
Curious how well these cards will sell. Enthusiasts cards for over 600 bucks but basically not usable for THE enthusiast feature for the foreseeable future.

Tough sell for me, despite the great rasterization performance.

VFXVeteran

Banned

PS5/Xbox = RTX 2060
6800XT = RXT 2070.

It was already expected.

Edit - Fixed the 0.

But the PS warriors will say we are just at the start of a generation and the developers will find ways to make the next Spiderman MM do even more RT and higher res textures despite the limitation in hardware that we see. This is the main issue I have with people on these boards. They need to ALWAYS consider what the hardware can actually do.. what it's true limit is and then they can have realistic expectations. Trust me when I say we are already seeing the max of what the consoles can do with RT right now on release.

wachie

Serious performance from AMD, glad they're back to competing at the high end. Hopefully they can deliver on a better stock quantities and crush Nvidia this quarter. Watch Nvidia come out with new products and shuffle their line-up which would have kept leeching people if these cards were not competitive.
Guess you don't care about power draw either? :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Anything to move those goal posts and whatever that makes them sleep better at night.

Andodalf

Banned
I prefer old fashioned site reviews than YT, anyway the overall impression is that the 6800 is on par with the RTX 3080 so along as your not using DLSS or ray tracing.

Hexus, Tweakers, Kitguru.

It's ray tracing performance is around RTX 2080 levels give or take.

Not bad at all by any means and RT isnt going to be something everyone wants though there's no denying Nvidia have a significant technological edge in this area.

Ignoring their major advantages is incredibly silly. In real world gaming you will use DLSS most of the time when targeting Max settings at 4k 60FPS, and you still will at 1440p high refresh rate. You will want to use RT when available. You will get much better performance with Nvidia's lineup in most games today, and the lead will grow.

Dampf

This video physically hurts me. Saying RT is not important based on literally the worst RT implementation on the market just bothers me. What is wrong with that guy?

ethomaz

Banned
But the PS warriors will say we are just at the start of a generation and the developers will find ways to make the next Spiderman MM do even more RT and higher res textures despite the limitation in hardware that we see. This is the main issue I have with people on these boards. They need to ALWAYS consider what the hardware can actually do.. what it's true limit is and then they can have realistic expectations. Trust me when I say we are already seeing the max of what the consoles can do with RT right now on release.
Well the MM RT is what Insommiac could do with the 2060 like RT performance... it is not bad (actually it is pretty good) but it is way below what nVidia has in PC today.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
*Your mileage may vary.

When most games actually utilise real time ray-tracing, both Ampere and RDNA2 will be outdated.
For the moment, the vast majority of games do not utilise RT and in that sense they are absolutely worth their price. Particularly if you game at 1440p and below.

If Minecraft RTX is your jam, then go Nvidia. AMD's OpenGL performance is not good without RT forget about with full path-tracing enabled.

It's not about the quantity of games that support ray tracing but the quality of the games that support it. Apropos, Cyberpunk: 2077.

I'm happy to see that AMD stepped their game up. Competition is good and will push the industry forward. All I know is that I'm sticking with my 3080 until 10GB VRAM will become not sufficient enough. I predict 18 to 24 months.

I watched it too and it doesn't prove that. 3080 is 2-5% ahead at 4k, barring dlss and ray tracing. So the 6800xt is to the 3080 what you say it is to the 3090 in 4k-- slightly behind. You've literally been singing the opposite tune for weeks/months about how they're feature incomplete and won't compete once those features are enabled (and they don't).

I think this is just another attention seeking post. You're going to buy both and then agonize on the board about if you should sell your 3090 and 3080 to someone at cost. Which you probably won't end up doing. Just give it a rest.

Last edited:

The 3080 wins 14 games out of 18 at 4k. How did you understand that its equal ? Its around 5% slower at 4k, no dlss, raytracing is tragically poor. There's a place in the market for this card, but its not a 3080 competitor

wachie

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review - NVIDIA is in Trouble

With these performance numbers, Radeon RX 6800 XT is the perfect choice for 4K gaming at 60 FPS. It achieved that mark in nearly all titles in our test suite. Things are different once you turn on raytracing. Just like on NVIDIA, there's a hefty performance hit when running with the DirectX Raytracing API. We only tested two games so far, but it seems the loss in performance is bigger than on NVIDIA, who improved in that area with Ampere. Remember, this is AMD's first generation raytracing. Performance is still very respectable. I expected RT performance similar to Pascal cards, where RT is emulated in shaders. RX 6800 XT does much better than that, I'd say we will see performance roughly around RTX 2080 Ti levels, with big differences depending on the title. AMD has a clear advantage here—they are the hardware provider for the new gaming consoles, which have raytracing as one of their new features. This means that game developers will optimize their games for this architecture's RT capabilities. What we've seen so far is that RT on the consoles will be minimal, just some basic eye candy, but I'm sure developers will figure out new innovative ways in the coming years. NVIDIA is big on raytracing and they have to, to keep their performance lead.

pr0cs

Glad to see AMD finally compete, sadly it looks like we won't be seeing many 6800 series out in the wild until next year due to the usual scalper scum and the shitheads who enable/buy from them.
Fuck those people.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
I'm happy to see that AMD stepped their game up. Competition is good and will push the industry forward. All I know is that I'm sticking with my 3080 until 10GB VRAM will become not sufficient enough. I predict 18 to 24 months.

You'll be fine for longer than that. Don't buy into the VRAM panic.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Wait until they see those Cyberpunk benchmarks. The game thats really going to kick off "Next Gen".

Mhmmm 2077

Fucking hell, sold out everywhere XD so I'm stuck with my old HD 7970 GHz for now... everything else I have new and assembled. Not sure how I will play Cyberpunk 2077, maybe it will be enough at 1080p without Ray Tracing..?

Top Bottom