• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX6800/RX6800XT Reviews/Benchmarks Thread |OT|

Rikkori

linus video is brutal card looks straight up trash.
hardware unboxing the card looks like great.
Linus is retarded. Nothing new there. Maybe he can cry and apologies in another video for views.

Why is everyone praising the 6800XT when its failing in nearly every category compared to the RTX 3080 with Ray tracing enabled? lol
Because it's not. It starts failing when they stack 4K AND path-tracing (or close to it), but then 3080 can't exactly handle that well either, just better. If you look at lighter stuff and esp. titles where AMD also worked on (so not Nvidia sponsored from years ago) then it's actually very competitive - like Dirt 5.

Plus, many of us have been here before. We know how this plays out in the long term & the good margins Nvidia has on review day all evaporate & AMD pulls ahead. The advantage of being the console chip maker. ;)

Last edited:

wachie

giphy.gif
haha, first time I've seen it used correctly.

FireFly

@geordiemp - sorry man. AMD boards don't have what it takes to push to the next-level of ray-tracing. As I said before again and again, it was an afterthought and never really meant to be released this soon from AMD.
I didn't know you had contacts within AMD's GPU development team. Maybe you could let us know which features are coming with RDNA 3?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why is everyone praising the 6800XT when its failing in nearly every category compared to the RTX 3080 with Ray tracing enabled? lol

People really want AMD to compete, hell so do I, and its nice to see them doing well in rasterization now, but... yeah... I feel like you'd be a fool to buy this card instead of a 3080. Here is hoping AMD can make RDNA 3 competitive. But seriously, you'd have to either be a fan boy of AMD, a true hater of Nvidia or someone who truly doesnt care about image quality and advanced features (then why the hell are you buying a $700+ gpu!?) to buy these cards.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Once again my educated predictions come to truth.

The REAL value in these next-gen GPUs is the RT. Without that - you have nothing but an upgraded 2080Ti for rasterization.

AMD boards are nearly 2x slower on average than the 3090. And that's without using DLSS 2.0.

That's the reason these Nvidia boards cost what they do. They deliver where it counts.
Where it counts is highest framerates. We are still a generation away from serious gamers using RT. The performance hit is still too massive.

Kenpachii

whats up with these numbers

ade7ab8c5291f19b984b164d6567684f.png

index.php

I have no clue what's going on bu ti got the feeling either those 5000 ryzen chips are nuking nvidia performance or his benchmarks are fucked. because valhalla runs here at the 3080 numbers on 1080p with a 1080ti that makes no sense.

BTW something interesting

As resolution increases so does 3080 advantage over 6800xt - probably due to Infinity Cache being too small

This is without raytracing or DLSS

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
People really want AMD to compete, hell so do I, and its nice to see them doing well in rasterization now, but... yeah... I feel like you'd be a fool to buy this card instead of a 3080. Here is hoping AMD can make RDNA 3 competitive. But seriously, you'd have to either be a fan boy of AMD, a true hater of Nvidia or someone who truly doesnt care about image quality and advanced features (then why the hell are you buying a $700+ gpu!?) to buy these cards.
Why is it all of the sudden that nvidia fanboys are trying to claim that RT matters. It's doesn't, the performance hit is still too massive for serious gamers to consider using it. The performance gap still needs to be lowered drastically. Once that happens, I'll consider it getting a serious edge.

linus video is brutal card looks straight up trash.
hardware unboxing the card looks like great.

Thats because you see a lot of bias from reviewers, depending on who is doing the article. A lot of them you see mocking nvidia somewhat and championing for amd. Guru3d for example, has around 15 games tested and nvidia wins 11 i think. Sometimes by as much as 13% at 4k in Red Dead 2 or 12% at 4k in Watch Dogs Legion.

The conclusion is the 6800 xt kinda equal to a 3080. Which is demonstrably false by their own numbers.

Hardware unboxed has an extra bias in that it completely disregards ray tracing and dlss. He parots the "arent enough games" even though there actually are enough games as of now.

Last edited:

wachie

After reading a bunch of reviews, the main takeaway for me is that the next-gen consoles are not going to implement RT is real meaningful way and for the next 5-7 years, I'm not sure how that's going to shake out on the PC landscape.

Rikkori

BTW something interesting

As resolution increases so does 3080 advantage over 6800xt - probably due to Infinity Cache being too small

This is without raytracing or DLSS
Not size, miss rate. But luckily that can be easily optimised further through drivers.

ethomaz

Banned
Thats because you see a lot of bias from reviewers, depending on who is doing the article. A lot of them you see mocking nvidia somewhat and championing for amd. Guru3d for example, has around 15 games tested and nvidia wins 11 i think. Sometimes by as much as 13% at 4k in Red Dead 2 or 12% at 4k in Watch Dogs Legion.

The conclusion is the 6800 xt kinda equal to a 3080. Which is demonstrably false by their own numbers.

Hardware unboxed has an extra bias in that it completely disregards ray tracing and dlss. He parots the "arent enough games" even though there actually are enough games as of now.
I should never take Hardware Unboxed word on anything to be fair.

dave_d

Fucking hell, sold out everywhere XD so I'm stuck with my old HD 7970 GHz for now... everything else I have new and assembled. Not sure how I will play Cyberpunk 2077, maybe it will be enough at 1080p without Ray Tracing..?
Similar here. I've finished my new rig and put it a HD 7850 as a place holder until I get a current gen video card. At this point I'm more likely to get one from the EVGA queue system. Anybody get one from that? How many weeks?

Ironbunny

Love how its going from doesn't run RT well = fail... to biased reviews. :messenger_sunglasses: Only reason I am still buying RTX card is that I already have a gsync monitor. Otherwise I would go with the 6900.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
In his review, Igor hinted at AMDs raytracing possibly being lower quality compared to Nvidia. He said it looked a bit more simplified, but he had not enough time to investigate it yet.

Curious if that's true, has any other reviewer said something about it?

ethomaz

Banned
I take his word over neogaf posters thats for sure.
I don't.... too much wrong info and biased opinion trying to be "impartial".

GAFers posters are at least true to their bias.

BTW there are a lot of YT channels (even the biased) better than Hardware Unboxed.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why is it all of the sudden that nvidia fanboys are trying to claim that RT matters. It's doesn't, the performance hit is still too massive for serious gamers to consider using it. The performance gap still needs to be lowered drastically. Once that happens, I'll consider it getting a serious edge.

??? I dont know why you are saying the performance hit is too massive, I'll be playing Cyberpunk with RT and DLSS at a good frame rate on my 3090 and adoring the look of it. I'm playing through Controll and amazed at it with a rock solid 60fps. I'm playing COD with RT at 4k and hitting 60fps. Performance is good enough to be enjoy RT games now at consistent 60fps (with DLSS).

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I watched it too and it doesn't prove that. 3080 is 2-5% ahead at 4k, barring dlss and ray tracing. So the 6800xt is to the 3080 what you say it is to the 3090 in 4k-- slightly behind. You've literally been singing the opposite tune for weeks/months about how they're feature incomplete and won't compete once those features are enabled (and they don't).

I think this is just another attention seeking post. You're going to buy both and then agonize on the board about if you should sell your 3090 and 3080 to someone at cost. Which you probably won't end up doing. Just give it a rest.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

1. I was speaking in regard to rasterization only and was summarizing what I saw up until the point that I made my comment, which is why I wrote "thus far."

2. I'm not getting an RX card.

We all know that it doesn't perform as well in ray tracing and doesn't currently have an equivalent to DLSS. However, it's still quite impressive when you consider that it's keeping up and occasionally beating Nvidia's flagship cards.

Also, the performance of the RX 6800 XT strongly indicates that the RX 6900 XT will consistently beat the RTX 3090 at both 1440p and at least match it at 4K (in rasterization).

Ironbunny

??? I dont know why you are saying the performance hit is too massive, I'll be playing Cyberpunk with RT and DLSS at a good frame rate on my 3090 and adoring the look of it. I'm playing through Controll and amazed at it with a rock solid 60fps. I'm playing COD with RT at 4k and hitting 60fps. Performance is good enough to be enjoy RT games now at consistent 60fps (with DLSS).

60fps :messenger_fearful: Each to their own I guess.

ethomaz

Banned
You mean a bunch of nvidia fanboys who moves goalposts?
List to me the advantages and disvantages of RX 6800 XT and RTX 3080.

I'm sure you will reach the same conclusion than the nvidia fanboys ;)

Now move golapost is like to try to ignore RT and 4k gaming.

Last edited:
In his review, Igor hinted at AMDs raytracing possibly being lower quality compared to Nvidia. He said it looked a bit more simplified, but he had not enough time to investigate it yet.

Curious if that's true, has any other reviewer said something about it?

Aparently some of games are bugged and don't use same number of rays on AMD as on Nvidia inflating AMD score. So after it's repaired expect overal performance in RT to be even worse :D

Papacheeks

Banned
Ignoring their major advantages is incredibly silly. In real world gaming you will use DLSS most of the time when targeting Max settings at 4k 60FPS, and you still will at 1440p high refresh rate. You will want to use RT when available. You will get much better performance with Nvidia's lineup in most games today, and the lead will grow.

DLSS is only on a handful of games, and only a couple of those titles really show close to equal image quality compared to native 4k.

Turn off DLSS and see what those cards are truly about blow for blow which a lot of these tests show.

Rickyiez

index.php

I have no clue what's going on bu ti got the feeling either those 5000 ryzen chips are nuking nvidia performance or his benchmarks are fucked. because valhalla runs here at the 3080 numbers on 1080p with a 1080ti that makes no sense.

It's not hard to see HardwareUnboxed is trying their hardest to make Radeon looks good. First exaggerating the poscap situation and now their benchmarks. Every where I see including GN, techpowerup, guru3d has numbers where 3080 is very close if not faster than 6800xt in 1440p

supernova8

Banned
I suppose if you can actually find 6800 XTs for close to $700 then it's the obvious choice as long as NVIDIA stock is nowhere to be seen.

Seems like the added VRAM (16GB vs 10GB) doesn't help AMD against even the 3080 at 4K. Interesting since I'd expect people spending in this price bracket to be targeting 4K.

If I could find a 3080 for $699 I'd probably get that instead, but yeah good to see AMD being competitive.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Good for you. You're not the majority. Most gamers would easily take higher framerates and less ray tracing over better FPS. The 6800XT is cheaper and has more memory, which is a far better down the road advantage for AMD than the 10GB of the 3080.

IF playing the 15 - 20 games using RT (is it that many?) absolutely matters most, then by all means buy a 3080. Driver support (although nvidia is nowhere near as perfect as everyone claims) is one area that I still trust nvidia more.

For the first time, in a while nvidia has legit competition. Even the most diehard of nvidia fanboys have to consider that a win for the consumer.

GHG

Gold Member
Upon further reading it seems like the RT performance is actually abysmal.

4K performance isn't looking too hot either.

index.php

Hardware unboxed basically skipped over the RT bit as if it doesn't matter at all just because he doesn't personally like RT (despite the fact that RT performance has huge implications for the future). That's not how you're supposed to review a product, fuck your feelings, just give us the facts.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I suppose if you can actually find 6800 XTs for close to $700 then it's the obvious choice as long as NVIDIA stock is nowhere to be seen.

Seems like the added VRAM (16GB vs 10GB) doesn't help AMD against even the 3080 at 4K. Interesting since I'd expect people spending in this price bracket to be targeting 4K.

If I could find a 3080 for $699 I'd probably get that instead, but yeah good to see AMD being competitive.
10 GB makes the 3080 a no buy for me, which is the opposite tune of what I had 2 months ago.

Kenpachii

Upon further reading it seems like the RT performance is actually abysmal.

4K performance isn't looking too hot either.

Hardware unboxed basically skipped over the RT bit as if it doesn't matter at all just because he doesn't personally like RT (despite the fact that RT performance has huge implications for the future). That's not how you're supposed to review a product, fuck your feelings, just give us the facts.

Hardware unboxing is fucking terrible, his benchmarks are straight up fishy and his no RT benchmarks i agree is just laughable at this point.

jay2cents video is just god tier in my view dude shows exactly what i wanna know and how it performs even does a play test at the end and goes into the software and drivers bit and something i really agree with what he states at the end, nvidia should be very afraid for the next amd gpu, could very well be they are going to overtake nvidia.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Papacheeks

Banned

I think thats the con. " With DLSS". Without DLSS most new games at those resolutions are almost unplayable. Ray tracing hasn't been shown off in a big meaningful way yet. On top of DXR re-write not 100% done neither is Fidelity fx which to me is open source, and is not using AI re-scaled images. It's rescaling effects, and the rendered resolutions of those effects not the entire rendered image.

If you are telling me I can tone down ray traced reflections to 1080p like how Sony is doing it in GT7, but my final rendered image is a native 4k to me thats more compelling. And the fact everything shown from AMD is not Proprietary outside of infinity cache. SMART MEMORY ACCESS can be used by other companies if they program for it.

Radeon SEEMS more focused on overall just good gaming performance that matters the most.

Not saying people are not going to go and buy nvidia cards and be super impressed playing Ray traced games, I MEAN obviously people like yourself are sold on the idea.

But to down play a compelling product that unanimously everyone who reviewed it is talking about, after 4-5 years of not competing in the high end sector is disingenuous.

Top Bottom