• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That clown is probably the creepiest things I've seen in a while. Still can't figure out if that's a mask or his face is just fucked up

Not bad. I have no interest in the freak concept and after Coven I wanted to bury this show forever. But this opener worked. Visually, it's pretty cool looking. The use of colors and lighting is so much more engaging and interesting than last season. I hope the writing can keep up since that was the biggest problem with last season.

antonz

That clown is probably the creepiest things I've seen in a while. Still can't figure out if that's a mask or his face is just fucked up

It looks like he at least has a partial mask if you can call it that. Looks more like someone was scalped and he's wearing part of their skin.

It looks like he at least has a partial mask if you can call it that. Looks more like someone was scalped and he's wearing part of their skin.

The cap is definitely someone's scalp. The mouth part is part of a mask, you can see it move sometimes.

Oh yeah, and fuck that clown. >=(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hurm, I...honestly didn't really like that. I don't feel like it had much of a unique vibe to it like previous season openers - each of the previous premieres have done a good job of setting the tone and atmosphere for the rest of the season, but I don't feel like this episode did a good job of that. It just seemed really generic. It had no punch. It lacked that American Horror Story jen e sais quoi that leaves me wanting more. And the freak show itself came off as false to me. Like it was just a TV set and not something real and lived in - less Carnivale and more Heroes season 4.

I didn't really connect with most of the characters either. Jessica Lange was good and her role is already vastly better than her awful one in Coven (and I think she has the potential to outshine her Murder House character as well) and Sarah Paulson was also pretty good, as usual, but the rest seemed pretty generic. Kathy Bates left no impression whatsoever and Evan Peters seems to just be playing a small variation of his Asylum role. I'm struggling to think of any other characters...uhhh...there were others, right?

Oh yeah, Francis Conroy seems like she could be fun (as always) and her son could be too, I guess. We'll see.

Other thoughts:

The opening credits are pretty cool and kind of creepy, but the worst out of the four seasons for sure.

scary clown :( I think he would work better though in smaller doses. We saw far too much of him and the scene where he went crazy at the cages went on for far too long.

Evan Peters using his lobster hands to stimulate bored 50s housewives. Only from Ryan Murphy.

Jessica Lange's song - whatever weird thing they did to her voice (autotune?) made it sound just awful. The song itself was totally anachronistic and it didn't fit with the setting/era/vibe they had established at all.

How many episodes before the twins give a double blowjob?

Six.

What the hell, it's only the first episode and they've already made
the troupe just as fucking bad as the clown is. Let's see, kidnapping, rape, murder and blackmail are already on the list of crimes they committed. Did they seriously need to fucking butcher the body of the detective? wtf, although the detective was in the wrong and a dick, but the twins did murder their mother.

I mean hell, Carnivale had a character that was pimping his own wife and daughters that had more redeeming qualities. That's not saying much either.

I thought some of the exposition stuff between the twins was interesting with the moral dilemma between the two and the clown seems like an interesting antagonist. Everything else was just kind of........

B-Dex

That clown.

Great premiere can't wait to see what happens this season.

Dandy can buy me anytime. (Adjusted for inflation) lol

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Great premier and I LIVED for that musical number and Conroy's remarks afterwards
My biggest and only gripe would be the fact that I don't like Bates' accent

Also in case anyone was wondering, $15000 in 1952 would be worth ~$135000 today

What the hell, it's only the first episode and they've already made
the troupe just as fucking bad as the clown is. Let's see, kidnapping, rape, murder and blackmail are already on the list of crimes they committed. Did they seriously need to fucking butcher the body of the detective? wtf, although the detective was in the wrong and a dick, but the twins did murder their mother.
Maybe that's the plot subversion this season. The troupe is so fucked up and ruthless that in the end, we'll actually be rooting for the killer clown to murder them all. Twisty might end up being the lesser of two evils

Zalasta

Only negative thing for me was that the introduction to Sarah Paulson's character took way too long. Unless you have never seen any of the promos for AHS this season, the whole "what's behind the curtain" dragged on forever since we already knew what she looks like. Totally lacked the dramatic reveal the show attempted to convey, at least for the audiences anyway.

Maybe I missed it but was there a point to the scene where a stack of women were getting off thanks to lobster hands? Like, did that go anywhere beyond that scene or have to do with absolutely anything going on otherwise?

Seems to have potential. I hated last season

This is how I feel, too. This was the first episode of AHS that actually scared me (that fucking clown walking out of the shadows). I'm excited for the rest of this season.

Also, I wish that Jessica Lange played a different type of character for once. And her German accent is flat out bad.

Bladenic

I thought Lange was supposed to be a supporting character this season but, I mean, she seems to be the main character once again. And also once again, she really seems to just be playing a variation of her other 3 roles. Do all her characters need to smoke?

Anyway, I'm in sort of agreement with Ratsky. Nothing about it blew me away. Clown looks creepy but there was nothing scary in this episode. Moreover, the scene in the abandoned bus was too narmy.

I suppose I could just be suffering Coven syndrome, aka coven was such abhorrent trash that I'm wary of enjoying this season so far because it could easily turn to shit.

The clown was good. The rest was all a bit meh. As has been said, the "reveal" of the Siamese sisters took far far too long. We all knew what was coming, why prolong it? Evan Peters is flat out shit. I could just about tolerate him in the first series but since then he's been an insufferable bore. Jessica Lange is good, but I feel we've already seen her like this.

I miss Lily Rabe already. Will she be making an appearance this series?

Overall thought the first half was very good, the 2nd half or last .... 30 minutes or so was a little dull.

Not feeling the freaks cast just yet. Twins are interesting, crab hands dude is well acted. Such like that, but we'll see.

Clown is the star as of now though

ultron87

I generally enjoyed the episode and was creeped out by it pretty well, but there don't seem to be any particularly interesting plot threads to grab onto and pull me in. None of the characters seem particularly sympathetic and the initial conflicts, minus the murder clown's captives, kind of settled themselves out already. Maybe I'm just acclimated to this show's nonsense, but there wasn't really any sort of "holy shit!" moment that I feel like the last few premieres had to really grab me.

Interesting that there don't seem to be any immediately obvious supernatural elements. I generally enjoy elements like that, but last year they leaned on that stuff way too much and it turned into a dumpster fire, so maybe limiting/not using supernatural stuff at all may be for the best.

The clown was good. The rest was all a bit meh.

This is pretty much what I thought.

The clown was the most disturbing part of it, not because he's a clown but rather due to his cut up face and demonic toothy smile. The scene with the stabbing reminded me of something similar from David Fincher's "Zodiac".

I'm also astounded by how far Ryan Murphy is willing to take some things for no tangible reason, i.e. the freak orgy (rape?). I don't think he understands the concept of subtlety.

Bladenic

I'm also astounded by how far Ryan Murphy is willing to take some things for no tangible reason, i.e. the freak orgy (rape?). I don't think he understands the concept of subtlety.

This has been obvious since Nip/Tuck, but yeah he really doesn't. Not one of his shows is subtle in any way.

Christopher

I always love on these American Horror Story shows they're so quick to kill someone, rather than punching or hitting the detective lets slice his neck!

I think it's rather good for what we got...some rather good imagery and set pieces.

The "freaks" look like that they will self-destruct from the inside due to the sense of family they're presenting to us so early on.

Elsa wants to be a star, however uses the freaks as a prop for people to come and see her sing - I don't know where this could go, but I'm intrigued.

The clown was very creepy .... very.

The whole choice of using non-period music for that period(early 1950s) just doesn't sit well with me. I mean,
Fiona Apple... sung by a two headed girl... in 1952
. Urgh. What's next, a pinhead duet of "Don't Stop Believing" or lobster boy singing "Hit Me Baby One More Time"? I said I'd give this a chance after the Coven(which I couldn't stand), but it's already turning me off. So far not many of the characters seem likable(with the exception of the smallest lady in the world, who's adorable). It's sleazeball freaks against sleazeball townies. It's almost like watching a Rob Zombie movie(which I can't stand either). The only interesting mystery is surrounding the clown, but I don't think even that will get me to stick around. I'm out!

Nemesis_

They didn't show anywhere near enough to have me completely intrigued by this season but because of that I have to keep watching.

It's almost like it was a shallow introduction to everyone, which will continue into the next episode and then the plot threads will begin to show themselves.

I also thought maybe Jessica Lange would play somebody different this time around. I just feel like we've got a Constance/Jude kind of set up here, leaning more towards the Constance side of things.

For me, this was by far the weakest opening of any of the seasons.

At this point, it feels like Murphy's lack of restraint, subtlety and taste has moved past camp and into a tacky self-parody. Lange doing Bowie is a fun idea but an iconic 70s glam track used in a 1950s rural circus scene just screams "I have no self control and I'm going to shoe horn over corny idea I can into this shit."

What's the consensus? Is the premier worth watching? AHS really has to earn my viewership after last season. Honestly I find the whole "creepy circus" setting very bland, and killer clowns are just about as scary as zombies at this point. Something that's so done to death that it's lost its repellent edge.

FaintDeftone

Yeah, it makes the show extremely awkward to watch at times. I was watching this with my wife (who has never seen AHS) and during the lobster boy finger bang sequence and the rape orgy, I felt very weird watching this with her.

I think the dude goes a bit too far with the sexuality in this series. It stands out like a sore thumb and feels like an attempt to be edgy instead of actually adding anything to the story.

So this is the guy that plays that scary ass clown??? John Carroll Lynch?

t0mMvTTl.jpg

Anyone else notice the sound mix is off? Maybe it's my TV but the scenes where music is playing I have to turn it up to understand the dialogue.

Nemesis_

Anyone else notice the sound mix is off? Maybe it's my TV but the scenes where music is playing I have to turn it up to understand the dialogue.

We noticed that too, it was very hard to understand most of the scenes with Jessica in the diner, for example. Between her accent and the loud and overbearing music we assumed something was wrong with our TV set.

Hope that's fixed later on

I know nothing about this season, was episode 1 more like Asylum or Coven?

Neither, I felt like Asylum/Coven set up some pretty obvious plot points at the end of their first season. Freak Show didn't really, it felt more expositional for the characters.

Real Hero

Neither, I felt like Asylum/Coven set up some pretty obvious plot points at the end of their first season. Freak Show didn't really, it felt more expositional for the characters.

Hmmm I might give it a shot, I loved Asylum but found Coven so unbearable I couldn't finish it.

Bloodrage

Banned
I know nothing about this season, was episode 1 more like Asylum or Coven?
Nothing like Coven at all, actually. This coming from someone who hated Coven dearly. Obviously we're only one episode in, but like I said last night, if I had to compare it to any other season so far, it's much closer to Asylum, which was easily the best season. It's unique it's in own way though. Feels different and really not as funny as I was led to believe (not funny at all). It was a really fucked up first episode.

For me, this was by far the weakest opening of any of the seasons.

At this point, it feels like Murphy's lack of restraint, subtlety and taste has moved past camp and into a tacky self-parody. Lange doing Bowie is a fun idea but an iconic 70s glam track used in a 1950s rural circus scene just screams "I have no self control and I'm going to shoe horn over corny idea I can into this shit."
Given they plan on using that one Fiona Apple song in a future episode, this season's probably going to be a more sexualized, horror version of Glee, based around freaks, set in the early 50s.

Yeah, it makes the show extremely awkward to watch at times. I was watching this with my wife (who has never seen AHS) and during the lobster boy finger bang sequence and the rape orgy, I felt very weird watching this with her.

I think the dude goes a bit too far with the sexuality in this series. It stands out like a sore thumb and feels like an attempt to be edgy instead of actually adding anything to the story.
This! I'm all for sexual situations, but it's like Murphy's trying to outdo himself just for the sake of "Let's see what we can get away with" because... CABLE! Again, it seems like something Rob Zombie would've cooked up, but it's just missing the hundreds of "fuck"s and "cunt"s spouted as every other word in every line spoken.

Picnic/Clown scene was legit. Strong flashbacks to the picnic scene from Zodiac.

Not the greatest start to the season apart from that, the conjoined twins effects looked weak and there wasn't much else to be impressed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom