• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Yay, it's back!

It reminds me a bit of Carnivalè. Or at least I want to think it does.
Watch Carnivalè, people.

Dunno where this could be ahead though. There is no supernatural element too so far, I think it's the fist time for this show.

Is the bearded woman in love with Jessica Lange?

Weird, I didn't have any sound issues, though I caught one of the rebroadcasts, maybe they adjusted it by then.

I agree with those that didn't like Lange's butchering of Bowie. It sounded bad, looked bad, and felt completely forced. Whacky musical numbers somehow fit in Asylum because, well, everyone was bat shit insane. Here, it just makes you say, "Well, that was stupid."

Effnine

Weird, I didn't have any sound issues, though I caught one of the rebroadcasts, maybe they adjusted it by then.

Couldn't hear Lange's character, so had to turn up the sound and then music would cut on and be blasting. I was constantly turning the volume up and down depending on the situation ...

Loved the premiere, though ...

The inclusion of that Bowie song in a show set in the 50s bothered me so much that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the show. I'm not sure why it bugged me so much, but I felt like I was immediately taken out of the time and place of the show.

Anyone notice near the start of Lange's song, it flashes to an almost clown looking Lange, balding and seemingly watching herself?

Confuses me.

Yeah, I wondered what was going on there.

Maybe she's the psychotic clown.
Obviously not. No such thing as a German clown.

3phemeral

Lord knows why I'm back, Coven disappointed but sans the needlessly long musical break, everything else was absolutely weirdly entertaining and disturbing. I wasn't sold on this siamese-twin Sarah Paulson watching the promos but she's amazing at pulling it off. Must be strenuous to constantly be angled that way while maintaining a sense of reacting to your own thoughts or interruptions and still be great.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
was definitely lange
I took it as some split personality of that happy/sad clown thing

Archpath1

She had a bald cap , less makeup, was sad I think, wearing black
Screen shot?

For a sec I thought she had a twin or something

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought the episode was really weird. The pacing, the characterizations, the location, but hopefully the plot will be okay.

Anyone notice near the start of Lange's song, it flashes to an almost clown looking Lange, balding and seemingly watching herself?

Confuses me.
This? Yeah, that was odd.

JkW0Ej8.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
goddamnit this clown

this jeepers! I normally don't find clowns creepy at all even Pennywise didn't give me shivers like this dude...must be cuz I want to know if he's really smiling behind the mask..and the Buffalo Bill Human skin skullcap is freaking me out

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Maybe that's the plot subversion this season. The troupe is so fucked up and ruthless that in the end, we'll actually be rooting for the killer clown to murder them all. Twisty might end up being the lesser of two evils
/

Ooh, I like this idea. A lot.

Maybe I missed it but was there a point to the scene where a stack of women were getting off thanks to lobster hands? Like, did that go anywhere beyond that scene or have to do with absolutely anything going on otherwise?

This is American Horror Story. So probably not.

I wasn't sold on this siamese-twin Sarah Paulson watching the promos but she's amazing at pulling it off. Must be strenuous to constantly be angled that way while maintaining a sense of reacting to your own thoughts or interruptions and still be great.

Sarah Paulson is a champ.

Lobster boy finger sex didn't have to "go anywhere". It spoke for itself. Women don't want to be with him but are happy to have him stick his deformity up their vagina. And then leave without anyone knowing. It also speaks to Elsa's speech about the bored housewives.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lobster boy finger sex didn't have to "go anywhere". It spoke for itself. Women don't want to be with him but are happy to have him stick his deformity up their vagina. And then leave without anyone knowing. It also speaks to Elsa's speech about the bored housewives.

Oh yeah.

And he also does it for extra cash for the show.

White Man

Anyone else notice the sound mix is off? Maybe it's my TV but the scenes where music is playing I have to turn it up to understand the dialogue.

I had this problem. It was especially bad with Jessica Lange since I was still adjusting to her accent. It was like I understood 50% of what she was saying for much of the episode.

Shizuka

I loved Jessica Lange's Life on Mars, I don't know why. I can't stop listening to it.

The inclusion of that Bowie song in a show set in the 50s bothered me so much that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the show. I'm not sure why it bugged me so much, but I felt like I was immediately taken out of the time and place of the show.

Get ready, because based on the preview,
Dot is singing Fiona Apple's Criminal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I missed a part. What did the main old lady show to the peppermint girl when she tried to leave? Seems like she changed her mind.

a video of her
getting high on opium and participating in a orgy with all the freaks

I like the premiere, but im a sucker for the theme. Clown is all sorts of nope (awesome makeup), and the preview at the end shows promise. do we know which of the actors are actual "freaks" (and I mean that in the most respectful way possible, I mean they use the term in the show :/)

I know the tiny indian lady is for example. I cant tell if the tattooed guy with the tiny arms is CGI or real, really liked his character. Tall lady could be camera tricks or just...a very tall lady I guess

Bloodrage

Banned
This is the only thing I didn't understand about that episode.

I missed a part. What did the main old lady show to the peppermint girl when she tried to leave? Seems like she changed her mind.

A video where she's getting
gangbanged/gangraped by all the freaks
And
she's enjoying the shit out of it in the vid.

Do we really have to spoiler tag discussion of aired episodes?

Pretty solid start. Murphy still has his dumb, annoying quirks, but it was actually one of his better directed TV eps, IMO.

The production design is stellar. Really looks phenomenal.

Question: Where the hell is Kathy Bates' character supposed to be from? Couldn't place that weird accent, though it kind of sounded either Canadian or Upper Midwestern.

Finalow

will Jessica Lange save this season? Probably not. such a waste of good acting :(

I don't know, this first episode didn't convince me.

and the music, holy shit, was I the only one? I wanted to literally watch it without volume.

kirblar

Pretty solid start. Murphy still has his dumb, annoying quirks, but it was actually one of his better directed TV eps, IMO.

The production design is stellar. Really looks phenomenal.

Question: Where the hell is Kathy Bates' character supposed to be from? Couldn't place that weird accent, though it kind of sounded either Canadian or Upper Midwestern.
Baltimore, apparently.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think the shot of Lange "watching herself" is just a poorly placed flashback. In the scene she's watching a video on a projector. Also, it shows a flashback to lobster boy after the murder even though people in that scene are on stage.

Badly planned. Or maybe it's already a clue for next season. :p
CLONES

Revolver

I loved Jessica Lange's Life on Mars, I don't know why. I can't stop listening to it.

Get ready, because based on the preview,
Dot is singing Fiona Apple's Criminal.

There's also supposed to be more musical numbers coming up featuring
Nirvana and Lana del Rey
. Ryan Murphy has said he's using modern songs as a sort of nod to Baz Luhrmann.

I thought the scene with Jessica Lange watching from the wings in the skullcap was just part of a flashback montage. Wasn't there also a clip of the freaks doing away with the police guy?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I just started watching. Is that Meryl Streep's daughter back again?

Yup that's her.

I'm kind of tired of Lange's roles by now. Feels like more of the same. I will be ok if she leaves after this season and maybe come back again if they're still going to do season 6 and be in an entirely different sort of character.

At this point I feel like Sarah Paulson deserves more credit for her roles, especially in Season 2. She was just as bad a s Lange in Season 3 because of her fluctuating character mood and allegiance, bad because of the way the role was written and not because of incompetence.

That clown is probably the creepiest thing on AHS. Definitely not something that I want to see ever.

3phemeral

will Jessica Lange save this season? Probably not. such a waste of good acting :(

I don't know, this first episode didn't convince me.

and the music, holy shit, was I the only one? I wanted to literally watch it without volume.

Seems like it's just me and you, bud.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'd be cool if most of the cast didn't return next year. I'd like for them to keep Sarah Paulson though as well as Francis Conroy.

Valhelm

contribute something
I liked the episode a lot, but the song and Elsa's outfit during were so anachronistic that I couldn't bear it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh, so that Jessica Lange number was a recreation of a David Bowie music video and the rest of the season is going to have anachronistic Baz Luhrmann-esque musical numbers. Okay.

Upon some reflection on the first episode. I'll check out the next 2 episodes to get a better idea of where it's going. But honestly, I thought that was an incredibly weak episode 1. It says a lot when you feel more impressed by the opening credits sequence than the entire episode.

I like the way it's shot, the majority of the cast are fine, theme is fine. I think it's the writing. While I love me some Bowie and Fiona Apple. What are those songs doing in the early 1950s??? 50s had some great music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom