• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

Lange's absense was 100% needed. She's great in her roles, but iirc she's the reason for the love story in coven and all the singing in freak show. Both very meh aspects to those seasons IMO.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The maid is my fave character so far
shes fucking hilarious

i forget to set my dvr to record this series until episode 2. now i don't want to watch it before i see episode 1. where can i watch episode 1? it isn't available on demand yet.

TentPole

i forget to set my dvr to record this series until episode 2. now i don't want to watch it before i see episode 1. where can i watch episode 1? it isn't available on demand yet.

Episode 1 is free on Amazon. At least in the US, not sure about other regions.

I shouldn't have worried about the long run time. What a great episode. Evan Peters was the best he's ever been on AHS.

Truthfully I knew this episode would entertain me once I saw a single name in the credits: Finn Witrock. Dandy was the only thing about Freak Show that I truly loved.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the Evan Peters flashback was amazing

...Im worried what that means about me lol

kirblar

All my fears about Peters were immediately quashed.

The elevator ride up gave me Bioshock flashbacks for some reason. (I know both are referencing the same time period.)

Revolver

I realized I don't even miss Lange this season. Sarah Paulson is the real series MVP anyway. She just completely disappears into her characters. I think Lady Gaga has been uneven so far but she's been better than I expected and she's at least visually compelling.

So the Countess is Marsh's widow right? I thought it was kind of obvious but they wouldn't show her face for some reason. The music was great again. New Order, Siouxsie and Bryan Ferry. Nice.

kirblar

She didn't' get shown because her identity was omitted from Bates' telling of the story, we were meant to realize it was her.

Wensih

I must say the last 2 episodes of AHS: Hotel have been very enjoyable. I've basically dismissed the series have the past 3 seasons, but this season is very refreshing.

Taruranto

Sarah Paulson is amazing, but I find Lana Banana character pretty weak this season.

Is she supposed to be a more bitter Moira?

Toa TAK

Banned
Jesus H. Christ!

Jesus H. Christ!

I needed a Halloween fix and decided to start this series up. Finished season 1 earlier today and it was amazing. Such a crazy, but personal season through-and-through. Going onto season 2 it seems to keep that up.

Jessica Lange is incredible. I see that the series is an anthology series, but before I go onto season 3 and 4, are they worth watching? Or should I just jump to Hotel as soon as possible? What's the general consensus on the seasons past 2?

Jesus H. Christ!

Jesus H. Christ!

I needed a Halloween fix and decided to start this series up. Finished season 1 earlier today and it was amazing. Such a crazy, but personal season through-and-through. Going onto season 2 it seems to keep that up.

Jessica Lange is incredible. I see that the series is an anthology series, but before I go onto season 3 and 4, are they worth watching? Or should I just jump to Hotel as soon as possible? What's the general consensus on the seasons past 2?

3 is just ok. Starts strong but gets meh.
4 is best avoided.

These are my opinions and I'm sticking to them.

So I thought about his episode a bit, and there are multiple things going on. If it's vampires, they make a whole point about saying how the models akin is all cleared up and he never looked better, but then the junkie that got pushed out the window and died still had scars and her skin isn't better, so she isn't a vampire, but she is clearly back from the dead. Same with the Andrew Ryan type character, you still see his knife wound. I don't know, I was kinda meh about vampires,but I like the fact everything is kind of up in the air

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So I thought about his episode a bit, and there are multiple things going on. If it's vampires, they make a whole point about saying how the models akin is all cleared up and he never looked better, but then the junkie that got pushed out the window and died still had scars and her skin isn't better, so she isn't a vampire, but she is clearly back from the dead. Same with the Andrew Ryan type character, you still see his knife wound. I don't know, I was kinda meh about vampires,but I like the fact everything is kind of up in the air

Sally is probably a ghost following the rules established in Murder House. She can't leave the place, except on Halloween but can appear to anyone and interact as if she's a real living person. In Coven, with the right magic, you can even let a spirit leave permanent like they did with Lange's lover aka Axe Murderer.

Nemesis_

I thought it was pretty clear that Andrew Ryan, Sally and the maid are all ghosts.

In particular the scene where Sally is refused entry to the party.

But wait..... is the maid's wound showing?

Monocle

Jesus H. Christ!

Jesus H. Christ!

Coven is absolutely worth it for the crazy characters. It's aimless, but so entertaining. Lange is a powerhouse in S3, and Frances Conroy (as Myrtle Snow) has never been better.

Freak Show is skippable. Not unwatchable, just weak plot-wise, and to me the setting isn't as good as those of the prior seasons. Like Coven, it has some good characters though.

Whether S3 and S4 are worth your time comes down to how much you want a reasonably substantial plot like S1 and S2. Because the later seasons offer flamboyant characters and not much else.

Bloodrage

Banned
Watched episode 2 again last night. Was even better the second time. It really has returned to the AHS I fell in love with so far. Already making the last two seasons look even shittier than they were when they first aired. I'm happy.

The one thing that's really stood out is that they're doing a fine job with backstory here. Seems like every time I've had a question about a character, it's been answered shortly after.

Also:

- Evan Peters is legit frightening in this. Really disturbing character, and I really didn't think he'd pull this off so well, but damn.
- I kept trying to convince myself Gaga's performance would be shit but she's been real good and I'm loving her character. The shit she started between Donovan and Tristan is entertaining. Kinda feel bad for Donovan, though.
- Paulson, I'm convinced this girl is one of the best actresses out there. She continues to be one of the show's best and has shown good range over the seasons.
- Kathy Bates isn't annoying this time like she was last season and even in Coven before that. She's a highlight for sure.

There isn't a single character I'm not enjoying so far. I really thought the show wouldn't be the same without Lange, but I don't feel like she's missing at all, great as she was and all.

Holden, I can't tell if he's a bad actor (like most children) or just way too convincing at playing this creepy vamp kid.

I do wonder about the ghost dildo drill creature. It kind of seems like Sally controls it at times.

Jesus H. Christ!

Jesus H. Christ!

Honestly, skip seasons 3 and 4. I say that as a huge fan of AHS. Seasons 1 and 2 were so good that seasons 3 and 4 felt like legit torture. Went in very different directions in tone and atmosphere. Coven had one or two good characters that became meaningless because the plot was utter shit. Freak Show was just unwatchable. The Pepper episode was good if you liked her character in S2. Funny that the best episode is based on a S2 character, AKA the best season.

If you could find a way to catch up with Hotel, I'd suggest doing that instead. It's been very good, and feels more like a mix between Murder House and Asylum.

Season 3 was fun (even thought the end was meh) but just keep in mind that it's really different from seasons 1 & 2. Way more drama/comedy oriented.

Stay away from Season 4. Maybe watch
the Pepper episode
if you want.

I do wonder about the ghost dildo drill creature. It kind of seems like Sally controls it at times.

Considering this season is heavily linked with addiction, and the creature is named the Addiction Demon, there's a lot of chances they're related one way or another.

FloatOn

Jesus H. Christ!

Jesus H. Christ!

Season 3 and 4 are terrible.

This one is making up for it. Season 2 was best for me so it remains to be seen if Hotel will reach those heights again.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Quicksilver was definitely awesome in this one, but I'm wondering if they showed too much. We didn't need to know THIS much so soon. The mystery seems kinda gone now. I liked it more when I didn't know wtf was going on.

But I enjoyed it still. Hoping it's not just vampires. That'd blow.

Edit: Show definitely has something with asses.

Pluto

Thanks guys. I think I'll just skip ahead to season 5 once I'm done with 2 (only 4 to go).
Coven had a very good first half and only fell apart a bit towards the end, but some of the characters were awesome from start to finish, Myrtle and Misty being my favourites.

Freak Show was the weakest season so far but it too had some great performances, Dandy was so much fun and Sarah Paulson was great as always.

You can skip ahead of course but I'd still revisit the earlier seasons later if I were you.

Nemesis_

So the ratings are in and I think Hotel suffered a pretty big drop for the second episode, which is a shame since I felt it was much stronger than the first. I made a really rough graph

ahsrtingsgshsslj.jpg

Is this a bad thing? Or is this normal?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So the ratings are in and I think Hotel suffered a pretty big drop for the second episode, which is a shame since I felt it was much stronger than the first. I made a really rough graph

ahsrtingsgshsslj.jpg

It's perfectly fine. Freak Show also dropped 0.8 from its first episode to its second.

xaosslug

Quicksilver was definitely awesome in this one, but I'm wondering if they showed too much. We didn't need to know THIS much so soon. The mystery seems kinda gone now. I liked it more when I didn't know wtf was going on.

But I enjoyed it still. Hoping it's not just vampires. That'd blow.

Edit: Show definitely has something with asses.

there's still the 'mystery' that Gaga was his wife. >_>

and it's a Ryan Murphy show on basic cable... of course. LOL

Meowster

ahsrtingsgshsslj.jpg

It isn't that bad, it was the number one viewed show of the night in the key demographic. If anything, on demand and streaming are starting to kill off views for shows like this (similar to how they killed the music industry).

Bloodrage

Banned
Considering this season is heavily linked with addiction, and the creature is named the Addiction Demon, there's a lot of chances they're related one way or another.
It's called Addiction Demon? Must have missed this but that would explain some things.

ahsrtingsgshsslj.jpg

I know people that said they weren't going to watch the second episode because the first was too gross, lol.

After all the bullshit in seasons 3 and 4 I was afraid this one would be terrible as well. I'm so glad to be wrong. This is wonderful! Loving it. Gaga is awesome too btw, and I'm not a fan of hers.

Snake

I thought episode 2 was a fairly strong step up from the premiere, which I thought was terrible quite frankly. Completely without substance and possessing every quality of horror that I dislike.

Here's hoping the improvement keeps up.

Nemesis_

Ryan Murphy did an interview following this episode as well. I'll post some highlights.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/15/american-horror-story-ryan-murphy-chutes-and-ladders

Miss Evers is so loyal to him. Will we see why she’s so dedicated to him?
Yeah, that’s in one of our Halloween stories. We have a very big backstory that gives you the complete story of how Miss Evers started with him and how she came to be such a creature. But that’s explained I believe in episode four.

Liz Taylor has hovered about in the first couple episodes. When will we learn more about Liz?
We have a really great episode that I believe is number five that has a very strong backstory where you find out who Liz Taylor was before Liz Taylor and how she was transformed and all that. It’s a really great moment for him.

The Countess tells Tristan about the man who turned her. Will we meet this gentleman?
Oh yeah, there are there are three episodes about that.

Do you know yet who’s playing that person?
It’s a big surprise. It’s something we’ve never done so I don’t want to say.

What can you tease about next week’s episode?
Next week’s episode is about the introduction of Ramona Royale which I love. It’s also about the Iris-Donovan-Sally story, which takes even new dimension. It also has some great Mr. Marc-Tristan stuff that I love.

Top Bottom