• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruets

i'm happy with 2nd. rather play belgium, argentina, netherlands, than russia, france, brazil....if we were to get that far. its all tough really 1st or 2nd.

Am I crazy for thinking maybe Bradley should be dropped back into a defensive midfielder role (replacing Beckerman) and Diskerud should come in as the attacking center mid? Bradley's been almost a liability in the attack, but he's still covering a ton of ground and playing pretty well defensively.

).

I literally just posted the same thing in the WC OT without seeing your post. I think this would be a good move, as it puts Bradley in his best position and enables a bit more creativity up front through Diskarud. Beckerman's been playing very solid ball though, so it's hard to replace him.

The team just looked exhausted out there, and it isn't too surprising given the minutes they've logged so far in difficult conditions. Beckerman, Jones, Bradley, Beasley, Johnson, and Dempsey have played every minute. It's frustrating how they can't quite deliver what they're capable of (Bradley in particular) but I can't fault the effort. The lack of additional help at center midfield, particularly towards the defensive side, is worrying. Maybe Klinsmann should slide Cameron back to d-mid if necessary. (Sort of joking.)

Props to Gonzalez for a big performance today. He delivered under pressure.

NoRéN

i'm happy with 2nd. rather play belgium, argentina, netherlands, than russia, france, brazil....if we were to get that far. its all tough really 1st or 2nd.

Netherlands? CONCACAF Semi final, baby! The Dos a Cero heard around the world.

So much Euro salt and goal-post-moving in the World Cup thread right now. What are they going to do if we beat Belgium?

"So what? Belgium isn't even that good of a team anyway. Of course the US was going to win. Come back when you beat real opposition"

or something like that.

Talon

Teams look completely different from the group stages to the knockout stages all the time. We've sort of coasted along without playing a complete game yet - Portugal was close but still a series of mental lapses. It is alarming that we played so poorly today but, again, we looked quite tired.

Toothpick

I'll just repeat what I said on the mls subreddit

With the exception of maybe Omar and Howard. No one else played well. There was no communication and rhythm when counterattacking. The troubling thing is the play of Bradley and the wide flank options of Zusi, Bedoya and Davis who have done jack shit for the most part. Yedlin off the bench has looked better in limited minutes.

And yeah even Dempsey was poor today. The attack never looked on the same page when they were breaking.

Yup everyone seemed off today and didn't see anything from US the 2nd half. A little disappointed in Fabian Johnson especially since he gave up so many balls on potential counters. He needed to be more patient with the ball

I wouldn't mind seeing Yedlin and Mix start over Zusi and Bedoya. I say it's worth a shot

NoRéN;118384808 said:
"So what? Belgium isn't even that good of a team anyway. Of course the US was going to win. Come back when you beat real opposition"

or something like that.

admittedly, Belgium hasn't looked that great thus far. Enough to top their group, but not convincing with the star-filled roster they have. It'd still be an achievement, but it's not nearly as improbable as it would have been a month ago.

- Fivethirtyeight.com: The U.S.’s Odds of Beating Belgium And Every Other World Cup Opponent

DzhmCHC.png

NoRéN

admittedly, Belgium hasn't looked that great thus far. Enough to top their group, but not convincing with the star-filled roster they have. It'd still be an achievement, but it's not nearly as improbable as it would have been a month ago.
We gonna beat 9 point Belgium 3-1. Jozy with a hat trick. :)

Talon

Wouldn't take much from this match. Belgium made 7 changes for this game and Hazard obviously ain't playing.

Fellaini scares the hell out of me. So do Hazard and Dembele. Good think Lukaku is playing out of form... :|

I wasn't able to watch the match today, (First time missing the USMNT in at least 7 years) but just from looking on the stat sheet, Germany dominated from the start, is that correct?

68-32 possesion in their favor
12-2 shots in their favor
6-0 shots on target in their favor

One of those stats leaning one way could be pretty misleading, but all three of them pointing so heavily Germany's way don't really leave much doubt.

Still we're through the group stage which is ultimately a credit to this team considering the draw. Now we wipe the slate clean and get ready for Belgium.

(Shout out to Ronnie Da Gawd, I was never quite ready to write off Portugal)

xbhaskarx

Guys... we did it.

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan
If USA progress further in this World Cup than England, I can never return there. My life would be unbearable. #ENGvURU

1:24 PM - 19 Jun 2014

xbhaskarx

I don't get why US fans are supposed to thank Ronaldo, we'd have won the group even if he hadn't scored. In fact the gap would have been larger, US with 4 points, Ghana and Portugal with 2. And having now watched the goal, we should probably be thanking Ghana's goalkeeper for batting the ball down straight to Ronaldo instead of catching it.

So much Euro salt and goal-post-moving in the World Cup thread right now. What are they going to do if we beat Belgium?

they'll always be salty as fuck which makes us moving on so much sweeter. Even if we won the world cup they'd push those goal posts to the stratosphere.

I don't get why US fans are supposed to thank Ronaldo, we'd have won the group even if he hadn't scored. In fact the gap would have been larger, US with 4 points, Ghana and Portugal with 2. And having now watched the goal, we should probably be thanking Ghana's goalkeeper for batting the ball down straight to Ronaldo instead of catching it.

his goal just made it less stressful on the entire game and us. Yes I know they were heading for a draw which would help us through but still i feel like we gotta respect him... idk im still drinking from the game.

Nesotenso

Davis really offers nothing. But the wide play this Cup so far has been abysmal. I was hoping we would have Dempsey and Aron upfront and dropping one of Zusi or Bedoya.

I wasn't watching that game and just was stressed ghana was gonna score and screw us, his goal ended that fear. Though in the end a tie would have been fine

Clydefrog

What a day I will never forget for so many reasons

I LOVE GERMANY! I LOVE GERMANS! DEUTSCHLAAAND

7UUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

gutshot

I wasn't watching that game and just was stressed ghana was gonna score and screw us, his goal ended that fear. Though in the end a tie would have been fine

His goal seemed to take a lot of the wind out of Ghana's sails, who knew they then needed 2 goals to have a shot at advancing. It was big.

Of course, had he not delivered that cross against us, we wouldn't have needed him to score today. So it all evens out in the end.

xbhaskarx

Forbes: The US Soccer Boom Is Already Here

In 2008, The average MLS team was worth $37 million and losing money. Today, according to FORBES last valuation completed before the World Cup the average soccer franchise is now worth $107 million. Ten of the league’s 19 teams are making a profit (in terms of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization). The Sounders are now the league’s most valuable franchise at $175 million, a massive 483% increase over its 2009 sale price. In May of 2013 a new ownership group paid $100 million just as an expansion fee to start a team in New York City.

The Forbes MLS valuations from earlier...

xbhaskarx

Packwood signs extension with Birmingham City
U.S. youth international defender Will Packwood will spend at least one more year with Birmingham City.

The 21-year-old, who joined the club’s academy in 2007 as a 14-year-old, has signed a one-year extension with the Blues that includes an additional one-year option. The news is impressive considering that Packwood only returned last season from a serious leg injury in 2013 that kept him off the pitch for more than 10 months.

Packwood has made 20 appearances for the Championship side since debuting for the first team in 2011. The Massachusetts native spent last season on loan to League Two side Bristol City, where he made eight appearances as he regained his match fitness following the severe double leg break. After the loan, Packwood returned to Birmingham City and started 12 games in central defense and defensive midfield.

Internationally, Packwood has appeared for the U.S. U-17, U-18 and U-20 youth national teams. The defender was called up to the senior team by Jurgen Klinsmann for a March friendly against Ukraine, but was an unused substitute.

In other CB news:
Brian Sciaretta @BrianSciaretta · 4h
Sources are telling me that there is now lots of interest from clubs in England & Germany for #usmnt defender Matt Besler

Wouldn't take much from this match. Belgium made 7 changes for this game and Hazard obviously ain't playing.

Fellaini scares the hell out of me. So do Hazard and Dembele. Good think Lukaku is playing out of form... :|

Reading this as a United fan makes me laugh. He did absolutely nothing in the club season. Basically a 30 million pound parting gift from David Moyes to Everton.

Of course, now that's he's not on my team he's going to go back to being quality. :(

I feel good about the USA vs. Belgium. Doesn't seem insurmountable in any way.

On the one hand, Belgium is the one team that the USMNT just seemed to have no answers for in the Klinsmann era. And if they put it all together, they may be the most talented team left in the field.

But on the other hand, they really haven't been able to put it together so far this tourney.

I think we can do it.

They need possession in general; I'm not sure they should go for it now though, since I don't want them experimenting with things they suck at. They beat Ghana with 40% possession and almost beat Portugal with 48%.

Their strengths are physical midfield challenges and speed on counterattacks. The most they can do this Cup is focus on those and play hard.

I'd love to see a calmer US team more in control of the ball, but that's something they can develop for 2018, helped by the confidence boost from this tournament.

Of interest from the end of this video:
Andy Herzog, the US assistant coach telling me afterward that he really hopes Jozy Altidore will be available for this next game. He’s not certain. He said Altidore actually started to train again. But he said that Altidore makes such a difference when it comes to being able to hold the ball up top and help the US have more possession in the game. He thinks it’ll take a lot of pressure off Michael Bradley feeling like he has to make some wonder pass every time he gets on the ball.
It'd be great if Altidore could play a role in the next game, but it still sounds like a long shot. I do think that Altidore coming off has played some role in Bradley's issues and the possession problems for the US thus far. Bradley is playing out of position yet he's still covering a lot of ground on defense. As others have noted, he's run more than any other player in the tournament through three games, so fatigue is undoubtedly an issue. You can't play d-mid and a-mid at the same time, but it seems like he's trying. This doesn't fully explain why he seems "off" at the moment, but perhaps it's contributing. Altidore coming off hasn't helped Dempsey either, but Clint is still generating some offense with the scraps he's being fed.

The offset midfield diamond that the US was running in the Turkey & Nigeria games seemed to be getting most of the best players on the field and presented a somewhat balanced lineup that could defend and attack. (Obviously, the level of competition in the three group games is higher than those were.) Having Jozy go down threw that out the window and now there are a couple of players out of position, but you have to make the best of what you've got left. I guess the question is whether Klinsmann should stick with what he's used so far (more or less a 4-1-4-1) or change things up for the Belgium match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom