• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

But still it may have been a more convincing argument for MLS letting them in the club.

I agree but that's done for. Looking at the current picture, the Cosmos become appealing once other NASL teams starting pumping cash into their squads as well.

Long Island can definitely support their own team.

Fox318

I agree but that's done for. Looking at the current picture, the Cosmos become appealing once other NASL teams starting pumping cash into their squads as well.

Long Island can definitely support their own team.

Is there really an interest in NASL teams?

I know more people who go to single A minor league baseball than NASL soccer.

Osorio

Yeah but look at NASL squads. The Cosmos are the only one with "star power" and that's because they have Marco Senna. It's not an appealing product at the moment but with proper investment it can be a solid alternative to MLS considering that the markets don't overlap between each league other than NY and Atlanta.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...d-nets-europa-league-qualifying-return-world-

AMSTERDAM – Mikkel Diskerud returned to club life with a bang on Thursday night, scoring a picturesque capper to Rosenborg's 2-0 (6-0 aggregate) Europa League first qualifying round ouster of Latvian hosts FK Jelgava.

The US midfielder worked a full RBK shift after failing to appear in four World Cup 2014 matches. Diskerud did well to shake off the competitive rust, closing the scoring with a highlight reel strike on 73 minutes.

xbhaskarx

“I’m five-foot-nine and weight less than 150 pounds, and not fast,” Shipp said bluntly. “I wasn’t blessed with athletic ability and natural ability. For me it’s just working hard and developing technical skills. When I was younger, I was always the smallest kid. I was five foot in high school and probably weighed 100 pounds. It was one of those things where I was never picked for youth national teams because I just didn’t have the physical abilities that other kids had.”
Sigh, when will this finally change.....

This is why I can't wait for data/stats and technological advances to play a bigger role in soccer...

WSJ: Billy Beane on the Future of Sports: A Tech-Driven Revolution

Leveling the Field

Having advanced performance data at even the most junior levels will make it less likely that players get filtered out based on 60-yard-dash times or radar-gun readings, and more likely that they advance on the merits of practiced skills. The ability to "paint the corners" of the strike zone, to swing only at pitches within that zone, and to manage the subtle footwork required of a difficult fielding play is accessible to any player willing to commit to the "10,000 Hour Rule" (the average amount of practice Malcolm Gladwell, in his book "Outliers," says is needed to excel in selected fields). A whole new class of players whose skill sets previously were not fully appreciated will be able to reach the highest levels thanks to a more nuanced understanding of their abilities.

xbhaskarx

DieKlinsMannschaft

U20 midfielder Emerson Hyndman continues to get first team playing time with @FulhamFC. Played the 2nd half in today's friendly vs Rangers.

Zelalem back in preseason training with Arsenal. Will likely play with the under-21s and in Capital One Cup matches.

BsOG4GUCQAACM0a.jpg

USAprospects @USAprospects · 7h

'96 German-American Shawn Kauter scores again for Hertha Berlin 1st team during a pre-season match. Kauter came on as a sub #usynt #USMNT

xbhaskarx

- Top Drawer Soccer with the U20 MNT roster for the upcoming friendlies:

Midfielders (6): Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana, Chula Vista, Calif.)

I know we have a few El Tri fans around here... how big a deal is it that Fernando Arce's son is playing for the US?

Fernando Arce

Date of birth April 24, 1980 (age 34)
National team
2003– Mexico 47 (7)

For the Apertura 2011 he signed for newly-promoted side Club Tijuana, right in his hometown. He won the Apertura 2012 title with Xolos.
On 23 December 2013, in a friendly match against Club America he was substituted out and his son Fernando Arce Juárez, came in as his replacement.

Fernando Arce, Jr.

Date of birth November 27, 1996 (age 17)

Because he was born in Chula Vista, California, USA, Arce is eligible for both USA and Mexico. He has not been capped by either nation at the youth levels but has expressed interest in representing the USA.

Tijuana: Arriola, Requejo and Arce Jr. called to U.S. Under-20 team

967d036243fb94d73fd7f8f3d29cfc1c38b373f6.jpg

This is Arce Jr.’s first time joining the United States national team at any level. Arce, born in San Diego, Calif. said he is prepared for this chapter in his career.

“This means a lot for me because I’ve worked hard to get here,” said Arce Jr. son of former Xoloitzcuintles and Mexican national team player Fernando Arce. “They had called me up before but didn’t get the chance to go for several reasons. But I have to take advantage of this opportunity. I expect to play. You don’t get these chances all the time. It’s another opportunity for the Xolos to have another national team player.”

xbhaskarx

His dad seems okay with it...

Fernando Arce is a name already very familiar to many U.S. and Mexican National Team fans, but from now on the name might bear a friendlier connotation.

Tijuana Xolos U20 midfielder Fernando Arce, Jr., was one of the break-out players last season for the Baja California side. Arce, a ’96, spent the year playing up two years with fellow Americans Raul Rodriguez (’94), Alejandro Guido (’94) and Stevie Rodriguez (’94), and despite the age difference was more than capable of holding his own at that level.

OWTY :: Would you be interested in playing for the U.S. ?

FA Jr. :: YES. Yes, I would play for the U.S. team.

OWTY :: Does playing with Alejandro Guido, Stevie Rodriguez, Raul Rodriguez, Paul Arriola, Greg Garza, Edgar Castillo, Joe Corona and Herc Gomez tempt you to play for the U.S.? Do they talk to you about it?

FA Jr. :: Yes, there are many Americans playing in Tijuana right now and we all get along well. Paul was the one who told me that I should play for the U.S. team. I talked to him about what I need to do to get into the squad and he told me to just remain focused and work hard.

OWTY :: Have you ever been invited to play for Mexican Youth National Teams?

FA Jr. :: No, I have never been called in by the Mexican Youth Teams.

OWTY :: Your father is a Mexican international, what does he think about your prospects of playing for the USA?

arce-salio-de-cambio-por_214x320.jpg

Father & Son: International Rivals?

FA Jr. :: We’ve talked about it a lot and he said it’s my decision. And I told him I want to go play with the U.S. team if possible.

xbhaskarx

Buzzfeed: The World Cup Bump Is Real: MLS Streaming Subscriptions Are Up 300%

Chris Schlosser, the MLS's vice president of digital, told BuzzFeed that interest in the MLS has "skyrocketed" in the past month. Most notably, Schlosser said that since the World Cup began there has been a 300% jump in subscriptions to MLS Live, the league's subscription package that includes streaming for all regular season MLS games. (Schlosser said that MLS does not release specific subscription numbers) The league has also seen its website's monthly unique visitors multiply threefold — to a total of 6.6 million in June.

I'm not gonna subscribe this season (next season!) but I've been to their website a lot and following them much more on social media.

Does anybody else wish we could come up with a great solution to the PKs deciding matches problem? I'd love to see America contribute a viable way to fix that.

Eh. PKs are fair IMO. They're a match between the shooters and the goalies

xbhaskarx

Looks like the U-23s are getting together in a month...

Will Packwood has been called into the United States U23 squad for next month's friendly fixture against the Bahamas.

Should the 21-year-old Blues defender play, it will be his first cap at this age level.

The match is being staged on Nassau, Bahamas on 6 August and it will give the US U23 side the opportunity to test themselves against the Bahamas senior national team.

The international friendly is an important part of US team's preparations for 2016 Olympic qualifying to be held in 2015.

Boston-born Packwood has previously represented the USA at U17 through to U20 level, while he was included in Jurgen Klinsmann's seniror squad ahead of a friendly fixture against Ukraine in Cyprus back in February.

alstein

The only way I can see NASL doing something is if MLS doesn't expand enough to meet demand- which is pretty damn unlikely.

If that happens, you could see the NASL becoming something like the AFL to MLS's NFL- and an eventual merger.

There are a few NASL cities which could support an MLS team (Rochester and Raleigh off the top of my head)

Xavi to nycfc rumor died down but he'd still likely join another mls team. Roxy said he had some dp targets...

He made it known in that article about Jonny Steele leaving that they had cap space and were looking to add to the squad. I'm sure it's not a lot of cap space but it's something. Next, you hear about Xavi looking at another MLS team. It makes you wonder.

Please let's not go there, there is 0% chance MLS merges with a lower league. That's on the level of promotion / relegation...

my assumption is along these lines. If MLS gets big enough, which at this point MLS is heading towards, those smaller leagues should become promotion and relegation leagues. It only makes sense...

Meier

my assumption is along these lines. If MLS gets big enough, which at this point MLS is heading towards, those smaller leagues should become promotion and relegation leagues. It only makes sense...

This might not be a bad idea (pro/rel between the lower leagues) but it's kind of irrelevant since there position on the pyramid is completely arbitrary. USL teams are often better than NASL teams anyway.

This might not be a bad idea (pro/rel between the lower leagues) but it's kind of irrelevant since there position on the pyramid is completely arbitrary. USL teams are often better than NASL teams anyway.

At first, for sure. Over time as promotions/relegations happened, they would stratify though.

Not that it'll ever happen, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom