• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akim

Banned
:)

l2VMFAX.jpg

KingK

I watched this game since I'm having soccer withdrawals with the World Cup ending and really enjoyed it. Yedlin is pretty great and seems like he has a really bright future. I was pretty shocked to find out he's younger than me (he's only 21!).

I'm thinking about starting to follow MLS. I tried getting into the EPL after the last WC but couldn't deal with the time difference. MLS seems like it's gotten a lot better since the last time I looked at it so I think it might be worth following. I think I'll be back in this thread quite a bit.

How long does the season last? I would also appreciate some explanation for how the season is laid out since I don't really follow sports outside of the World Cup and Olympics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I watched this game since I'm having soccer withdrawals with the World Cup ending and really enjoyed it. Yedlin is pretty great and seems like he has a really bright future. I was pretty shocked to find out he's younger than me (he's only 21!).

I'm thinking about starting to follow MLS. I tried getting into the EPL after the last WC but couldn't deal with the time difference. MLS seems like it's gotten a lot better since the last time I looked at it so I think it might be worth following. I think I'll be back in this thread quite a bit.

How long does the season last? I would also appreciate some explanation for how the season is laid out since I don't really follow sports outside of the World Cup and Olympics.

The season runs from March to the end of October. The team with the best record in the regular season gets the Supporter's Shield, it looks like Seattle has that all but sown up this year, and then there's the playoffs. The winner in the playoffs gets the MLS Cup. If I remember right no team has won both in the same year.

Each team plays each other team twice, one home game and one away game. The whole thing isn't very complicated. A win nets you 3 points, a tie 1 point and a loss gets you nothing.

I can see Seattle winning a double this year

Mls cup is too hard to predict but a treble would be crazy

That would be crazy but I doubt it.

Osorio

Shit, I completely forgot about that. Fuck those guys.
We had no business being in that final but that's what made it great. Dane Richards destroying Houston away. Salt lake hitting three posts at the end of the game. Wolyniec (staten island ronaldinho) getting the equalizer in the final before their quality just shone through

KingK

The season runs from March to the end of October. The team with the best record in the regular season gets the Supporter's Shield, it looks like Seattle has that all but sown up this year, and then there's the playoffs. The winner in the playoffs gets the MLS Cup. If I remember right no team has won both in the same year.

Each team plays each other team twice, one home game and one away game. The whole thing isn't very complicated. A win nets you 3 points, a tie 1 point and a loss gets you nothing.

Thanks. I think I'll start watching the league. I need to pick a team to support. Probably Colorado since I plan on moving to the Denver area (from Indiana) where I have some friends and family once I get my degree next year. Is Colorado any good?

It is dope. I was at the game tonight and go about 5-6 times a year. Awesome experience.

Go Sounders.

Still waiting for the Quakes' stadium to be finished so that I can try to regularly attend some games - traveling to where they're playing currently is a bit inconvenient for me (especially if I came straight from work) but so far it's looking good.

And hmm, if I ever end up in Seattle, I should probably try to catch a game if I can.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks. I think I'll start watching the league. I need to pick a team to support. Probably Colorado since I plan on moving to the Denver area (from Indiana) where I have some friends and family once I get my degree next year. Is Colorado any good?

They're third in the West, literally a point behind Salt Lake, but they have no chance of making it into first. Seattle would have to really fuck up for a while to lose their lead. Here's the standings.

Lenz44

Banned
Just got back from the game, first half everyone was pretty restless. When Oba came in you could tell Portland wouldn't be able to keep up. Once I get my phone charged back up I can post the tifo, it wasn't as good as last years- but still pretty neat. Also great to see the Hydra back in action!

KingK

They're third in the West, literally a point behind Salt Lake, but they have no chance of making it into first. Seattle would have to really fuck up for a while to lose their lead. Here's the standings.

obama-not-bad-face.jpeg

Cool. Looks like I've got a team to follow. I ought to try and time my next visit to Denver to coincide with a match.

Edit: One last question; where do I watch the games? Is it always on ESPN2?

Lenz44

Banned
I also just watched a replay of the Deuce goal, and the mic placement must have been awful- because the reaction was pretty dang loud in the stadium and it seemed fairly quiet on the video replay.

CobbFC09

Unfortunately I don't get that channel (I just get basic U-Verse with my apartment). Thanks anyway though!
I believe the game is also on NBC Sports Live Extra (NBC's Sports web streaming platform), but you would need a login with a participating TV provider. I know you said you had just the basic U-Verse package at your place which I don't think would work, but maybe a family member could lend you their login. I too just had Comcast's basic package (no ESPN, just local news and stuff) so I wasn't able to use my login, but my mom had a different package which had ESPN and the likes so I just use her login. Just an idea though.

KingK

I believe the game is also on NBC Sports Live Extra (NBC's Sports web streaming platform), but you would need a login with a participating TV provider. I know you said you had just the basic U-Verse package at your place which I don't think would work, but maybe a family member could lend you their login. I too just had Comcast's basic package (no ESPN, just local news and stuff) so I wasn't able to use my login, but my mom had a different package which had ESPN and the likes so I just use her login. Just an idea though.

Yeah, I'll try to see if my aunt out in Denver has the channel. I already use her login info for HBO GO.

Dartastic

Did you make it to the game or were you not able to make the trip?
I could have. I'm 107ist so I had the ability to buy a bus and game ticket. I chose not to because my gf isn't 107ist, and I kinda didn't want to drive my own car up because it's been having problems. I have tickets to the next Seattle Portland game here in town so... Yeah. Hoping Ridgewell can make a difference.

Rose city till I die.

xbhaskarx

All the Google doodles:

http://imgur.com/a/ZlLuO

In related news, US soccer got $9 million:
Prize money distribution for the 2014 FIFA World Cup:

Group Stage (16 eliminated teams): $8 million each
Round of 16 (eight losers): $9 million each
Quarterfinals (four losers): $14 million each
Fourth place: $18 million
Third place:: $20 million
Runner-up: $24 million
Winner: $35 million

Kinda lame that the difference between 32nd and 9th is only $1 million...

gutshot

He was at Philly but that was a long time ago, wait nevermind. He was with DC and Real Salt Lake way back when, with Philly from 2011 to 2013 and then he went back to Europe for whatever reason. Probably because he only played 35 times with Philly in that span. Looking at his resume, he's jumped around a lot but seems to have had done fairly well at MLS.

Looking at his U-17, U-20 and U-23 stats just makes you think what could have been. 16 goals in 15 apps with the U-17, jesus what the hell happened?

He was a regular starter under Nowak, but once Hackworth took over, he rode the bench for a few games and then was summarily cut. It was obvious Hackworth did not like him at all. He signed with Brazilian club Bahia immediately after, but barely played and his contract wasn't renewed once the season ended. He hasn't be able to find a club since. I think we just have to accept the fact that he is just not very good.

doing this right after the world cup annoys me. i don't know why, but it does.

What is it supposed to mean?

I also just watched a replay of the Deuce goal, and the mic placement must have been awful- because the reaction was pretty dang loud in the stadium and it seemed fairly quiet on the video replay.

They must have feared to broadcast us in all our loud glory because yeah, it was pretty insane. During that bass bass HEY chant, I swear the echoes were louder than some of the actual crowds I've been in before.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hugo Patricio: RBNY has scheduled a press conference for next Tuesday guys....I think this is it ‪#‎Xaviwatch‬

PLZ

Oh man, hype levels building. Wright-Phillips, Henry, Xavi, Cahill, Robles, we are gonna be stacked to shit.

Osorio

Oh man, hype levels building. Wright-Phillips, Henry, Xavi, Cahill, Robles, we are gonna be stacked to shit.

You forgot Sam and Miller's overlapping runs on the left side.

And having another Spaniard around will elevate Armando's play!
Sike

- Nottingham Forest facing defensive crisis for the start of the new season
NOTTINGHAM Forest are already facing a defensive crisis for the new Championship season, almost a month before it even kicks off.

The Reds now fear that Jack Hobbs (ankle), Kelvin Wilson (calf) and Eric Lichaj (groin) could be ruled out until September with injury, while skipper Chris Cohen, despite making swift progress with his recovery from a serious knee problem, is also unlikely to be fully fit before then.
He has an awful track record with injuries. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a USMNT option if this keeps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom