• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Whoa:

Joe Gyau went 90 for the BVB first team today. Dortmund won 4-1.

BsnUsgACIAAMTmV.png:large

U20 MNT forward Rubio Rubin is starting for the FC Utrecht first team today. Wow.

BsnD9tRCUAAm_q8.jpg:large

played vs. Singapore national team RT @twelfthyank: Junior Flores logged two assists today for #BVBII in 5-0 win. #USMNT

We probably shouldn't read too much into it but still nice to see...

xbhaskarx

U-20 MNT vs. Chile: Reaction -- July 14, 2014

The U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team opened the 2014 NTC Invitational with a 2-1 comeback victory against Chile on Monday. Andrija Novakovich and Zach Pfeffer, who came off the bench to tally the equalizer and winner, respectively, and U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos comment about the win.

never change youtube comments:
George Gayed
3 hours ago

Why wasnt Julian Green playing?

- Greg Seltzer on the Besler suitors
You have all been so patient and I appreciate it. To thank you, here is a decently comprehensive but also slightly "blurred out" photograph of the Matt Besler scene at this moment.

In all, there are 10 European clubs at various levels of monitoring/interest/offer talks for the Sporting KC defender. Only one of those clubs currently hanging around is in the Bundesliga, and probably will not pony up what the MLS champs are asking (which as I said recently, would break their club record sale of somewhere in the $5-6 million range for Eddie Johnson).

So then let us focus on England. A clear majority of the nine teams at some distance in the Besler frame are in the Prem. I can confirm that one of those admirers is Sunderland, and that they have not made an offer yet. I can also now confirm that Fulham is one of the Championship suitors, and that they have made at least one offer to now. Those are the only names I will spill at this time, but I am confident you can knock those possibilities around pretty good to pass the time. I can also re-assure you that constant rumor mill link QPR are not in this scene. I know their name keeps popping up here and there, but the last time they were browsing Besler was about a year ago.

As for the time to pass, you will not be waiting long. One way or the other, Besler is aiming to make his decision by Monday. And as I am told, that is a hard deadline this time.

Nesotenso

dunno if SKC would be willing to pay Besler Omar money. Doesn't make sense for us to do that. I thought Omar would have some buzz around him regarding offers from Europe along with Yedlin and Besler.

xbhaskarx

MLS really should sell Yedlin, Besler, Omar, and Giancarlo Gonzalez, plus there's Carlos Valdez who is still owned by Philly. I'm assuming no one would want Zusi since he was out of his depth... Half the point of guys doing well at the World Cup is selling them for lots of money afterwards, that would be a pretty major haul.

NoRéN

Sunderland? Its not bad enough they ruined Jozy's form, now they have to fuck with Besler too?

Man, Jozy Altidore ruined Jozy Altidore's form by going back to England. Let's hope Besler doesn't make the same mistake. At least one of those teams looking at Besler has to be something better than a regelation fighting regular. Besler can and should play for a better team than that.

xbhaskarx

MLS English-language viewership up more than 80 percent

[SOCCER ON THE AIR] The late Sunday night MLS match on ESPN2 between the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers drew an average of 426,000 viewers, the most for an MLS regular-season game on the Deuce in more than four years. Unfortunately, it followed a viewership of only 69,000 viewers -- the lowest national audience of the year -- for NBCSN's late Friday night match between the San Jose Earthquakes and D.C. United. But viewers on all three of MLS's English-language networks are up more than 80 percent year-to-year.

2014 MLS Average Audiences:
ESPN (1 game): 495,000 (+89%)
ESPN2 (3 games): 309,000 (+83%)
NBCSN (12 games): 172,000 (+81%)

Zebra

Do they ever release numbers on MLS Live subs? I'd love to see what growth they've seen.

+1 at least. I signed up for the season package after the WC final.

I'm currently watching all of FC Dallas's previous games of the season and it's been a really fun experience! Oh, and this is my first post here. Howdy folks.

Esch

Banned
So to recap NYCFC is;

- going to be the second team in a single city, in a sport where people want a local team in many places in the country

- stacking their roster with $$$ star power (Xavi, Lampard, David Villa) right out the gate

- based in the most one of the most hateable cities in sports , New York

iM2hUbwqVSnky.gif

- going to be the second team in a single city, in a sport where people want a local team in many places in the country

]

Not exactly.

New Yorkers have this really weird mindset where they think New Jersey is like 80 miles away.

Its really funny to see in the dating world. If you live in Hoboken, and youre literally one subway stop from Central Manhattan, youre less datebale to some than someone who lives in bumblefuck queens 50 minutes away.

Why? Geography fail.

The Red Bulls should just rebrand as the Jersey team, like the Devils. They arent drawing from NYC and they never will, even though theyre on PATH

" bu bu the Giants!"

Yeah, NFL, different story. Always the exception.

Osorio

So to recap NYCFC is;

- stacking their roster with $$$ star power (Xavi, Lampard, David Villa) right out the gate

- based in the most one of the most hateable cities in sports , New York

Nah bro the red bulls play on jersey. If its not in the five boroughs it don't count!!!

Osorio

Not exactly.

New Yorkers have this really weird mindset where they think New Jersey is like 80 miles away.

Its really funny to see in the dating world. If you live in Hoboken, and youre literally one subway stop from Central Manhattan, youre less datebale to some than someone who lives in bumblefuck queens 50 minutes away.

Why? Geography fail.

So true.

I heard some kids saying they're switching to nycfc next season because they're tired of coming to jersey on the weekends. Where are they from? Bay ridge lol

Obviously they don't go to the Bronx on the weekends very often.

+1 at least. I signed up for the season package after the WC final.

I'm currently watching all of FC Dallas's previous games of the season and it's been a really fun experience! Oh, and this is my first post here. Howdy folks.
I signed up during the WC. I had been waiting for a console app for the longest time, but finally caved and bought a Chromecast for this + streaming the WC via Watch ESPN.

They really need to get some console apps out. Netflix's subscription rates increased substantially once it hit consoles, with Wii and later ps3 being their top streaming devices.

Esch

Banned
In all fairness I can't help but feel NY kinda got gipped a bit to start with by having the New Jersey Energy Drink be their first team. Y'all do kinda deserve a bit better than that, lmao. BUT, I just can't with you getting a second team. The worst thing about it is it'll probably do very well in terms of merch and attendance.

Osorio

In all fairness I can't help but feel NY kinda got gipped a bit to start with by having the New Jersey Energy Drink be their first team. Y'all do kinda deserve a bit better than that, lmao. BUT, I just can't with you getting a second team. The worst thing about it is it'll probably do very well in terms of merch and attendance.

We didn't start off as the Red Bulls...

I hope they blow us out of the water so Red Bull either sells or has to change the name.

Askani

Link: http://www.thebluetestament.com/2014/7/16/5904787/eurpean-interest-in-sporting-kcs-besler-heats-up

European interest in Sporting KC's Besler heats up

Reports that Fulham has made a serious offer and that Sunderland is making an offer as well

According to Greg Seltzer at No Short Corners, Sporting KC fans may be closer to knowing if Matt Besler is leaving for Europe or not. Seltzer says there are ten European clubs still in the mix for the U.S. center back. Of those ten, one is in the Bundesliga and most of the rest are in England. Seltzer goes on to say that Fulham (in the Championship) has made an offer and Sunderland (Premiership) has not made an offer but seems to be interested in making a serious offer.

Those are the only two teams that were mentioned specifically in that article but that may be the only ones that are even close to the asking price. Seltzer reported previously and reiterated that Sporting KC is wanting an offer that bests their previous high transfer. Then Kansas City Wizards (and MLS) sold Eddie Johnson to Fulham for approximately $6 million in 2008.

This morning Besler was on the Border Patrol Show on 810 WHB radio and was asked about the situation. Besler confirmed that Fulham has made an offer and that Sunderland either has or is making an offer.

A source has reported to The Blue Testament that Aston Villa has an interest but there has been no confirmation of that so far.

Seltzer said there was a hard deadline of Monday for Besler to decide but Besler denied that. He said that he wanted it resolved quickly so he would know where he was going to be but there was not a hard deadline of Monday. Of course the hard deadline of Monday may not be his; it could be Sporting Kansas City's.

As Besler pointed out again, he has input but the ultimate decision is not his. It is up to Sporting Kansas City if they want to sell or not.

The Border Patrol also asked if U.S. National Team coach Jürgen Klinsmann has had anything to say. Besler replied that he and Klinsmann have been "in contact a lot the last couple weeks." Besler explained that Klinsmann does not want him to go overseas just to go, it has to be the right situation. It does not do Besler or the U.S. any good to sit on the bench. Besler also said that Klinsmann was okay with staying in Kansas City because it is very good club and he has developed just fine here.

And this may or may not be related, but:

O9aQZAk.png

Esch

Banned
We didn't start off as the Red Bulls...

I hope they blow us out of the water so Red Bull either sells or has to change the name.

Well tbh, the MetroStars was a stunningly shitty name too. It's somehow worse than the Red Bulls, a feat in and of itself.

I think naming definitely could be better among MLS teams in general, though.

Osorio

Well tbh, the MetroStars was a stunningly shitty name too. It's somehow worse than the Red Bulls, a feat in and of itself.

I think naming definitely could be better among MLS teams in general, though.

No matter how shitty the name is, I used to be able to wear the jersey with pride.

The only Red Bulls jersey I have is a 2006 home signed by Jozy after his first goal. I don't wear it outside.

Esch

Banned
No matter how shitty the name is, I used to be able to wear the jersey with pride.

The only Red Bulls jersey I have is a 2006 home signed by Jozy after his first goal. I don't wear it outside.
No doubt. If I got a home team I'd wear it with pride for sure, even if we were the St. Louis Projectile Vomit FC.

Osorio

Xaviwatch is still going strong. The Barca guy who said he was on a 3 year deal at NYCFC is backtracking on that tweet.

Peguy has been out of practice for personal reasons and we have a press conference on Tuesday. The Arsenal press conference is next Thursday so it's not that.

Watch it be that we signed Martin Woods, and I'll be flaccid til October :(

Osorio

Since Peguy's been out of practice the last few days that means Alexander will have to start in the middle again and Convey will be back on the left...

I hope Petke puts on Bover instead, Convey doesn't sprint the whole fucking game.

Askani

I hope Petke puts on Bover instead, Convey doesn't sprint the whole fucking game.

I always thought Convey could be better than what he was. I don't know if it's a case of not enough talent (I don't think so) or just doesn't have enough drive (probably). Met him once, seems like a cool dude, but his soccer generally let me down.

Osorio

I always thought Convey could be better than what he was. I don't know if it's a case of not enough talent (I don't think so) or just doesn't have enough drive (probably). Met him once, seems like a cool dude, but his soccer generally let me down.

I know he busted his knees in England but still, show a little hustle out there. We're paying him 150k to rot on the field.

Anyway, this video gets me excited for tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKFOz0DaVE

Meier

Pennywise (German GAFfer) says that Christian Pulisic (U-17 player) is joining BVB as well. He apparently hasn't even turned 16 yet, so it might be a long time until he can get to play for their B team.

Pulisic has a very Serbian or Croatian sounding name, so maybe he has an EU passport? I assume that this could help. I know that Junior Flores couldn't play for Dortmund II until he was able to sign his professional deal once he turned 18. Definitely will get some good training either way!

Do people really care about their name and, more importantly, people still give a shit that a team is "located" in New York but play in New Jersey?

Osorio

Do people really care about their name and, more importantly, people still give a shit that a team is "located" in New York but play in New Jersey?

8 yearsater it still gets discussed on metrofanatic

And the jersey thing I dunno I'm from Hudson county so they're my team no matter what

xbhaskarx

Report: Xavi mulling offers from 3 MLS clubs

According to reports in Spain, Xavi is considering an offer from Major League Soccer, with three clubs bidding to sign the legendary Spanish midfielder; New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, and Seattle Sounders FC. The Sounders are new to the Xavi rumor mill, which has been churning for the last 12 months or more about a potential move to New York.

For what its worth, the Sounders have all three Designated Player spots filled, making them an unlikely destination for Xavi this season.

I think Alonso is just barely above DP money so they may be able to make that a non-DP contract with allocation money... can the money from selling Yedlin be used as allocation money?

Askani

"@SteinlageT: Sporting KC has signed midfielder Jorge Claros (Honduras) and Martin Steuble (Philippines)."

Steuble is a new name to me I've not heard in connection with us before. Time to research.

Askani

So Ben Jata on Twitter asked "Where would Sporting KC finish if they were in the Championship (England 2nd Division)? Hearing promotion/playoffs & bottom of table. #SKC"

I want to expand it to, say...whoever you consider the top 5 or so teams in the league are. Where would our top 3-4 MLS teams finish in comparison to that league. I don't watch enough European soccer to know the answer, but I'm curious what people think the answer is, MLS homerism and Eurosnobbishness aside.

xbhaskarx

Julian Green listed with Bayern's first team

no image yet, though

New season ticket pledge numbers from Atlanta:

Atlanta’s MLS expansion franchise saw a noticeable increase in season-ticket pledges on the day the U.S. team was defeated by Belgium in the Round of 16 in the World Cup.

The pre-World Cup daily average of 31 jumped to 143 on July 1, the day the U.S. men were eliminated 2-1 in Brazil. It was the largest number of pledges since the two-week flurry after it was announced in April that Arthur Blank was purchasing an expansion franchise.

The franchise, which will begin play in 2017, has received 12,700 pledges and 4,430 Founder’s Club members as of Tuesday.

Pledges have increased from the start of the World Cup on June 12 to reach an average of 51 per day. The average number of new memberships in the Founder’s Club also have increased during the World Cup by 64 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom