• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

What is it supposed to mean?

It's just a weird celebration. I think one of the wrestling stars does it. It irks me that he has to showboat like that in MLS after losing in the world cup. But I guess pro athletes aren't exactly vikings when it comes to showing humility. I don't know. He has every right to enjoy and be proud of any goal he scores.

Move along now!

xbhaskarx

It irks me that he has to showboat like that in MLS after losing in the world cup. But I guess pro athletes aren't exactly vikings when it comes to showing humility.

Apparently only Germans can celebrate goals now. 23 Germans, to be exact. Everyone else has lost the right to celebrate goals, by not winning the 2014 World Cup. The tens of thousands of other professional soccer players around the planet, they should show some humility by remaining stoic after all goals, at least until 2018 when 23 new soccer players will gain goal celebration rights.

xbhaskarx

World Cup: Germany's triumph over Argentina is most-watched soccer match ever in US

A total of 26.5 million people watched Germany defeat Argentina on ABC and Univision, numbers that make the game the most viewed soccer match in the history of the United States. The match beat out the USMNT's draw with Portugal earlier in the group stage by a half-million viewers.

While 17.3 million people watched the game on the English-language broadcast on ABC, 9.2 million watched it on Univision. Those numbers made it the most watched game ever on a Spanish-language network. (Two previous games, USA-Portugal and the 1999 Women's World Cup final, had more viewers in English.)

Betwen 5 and 5:30, when the match was in extratime, an average of 20.8 million viewers were tuned in on ABC. The game also had 1.8 million live unique viewers on ESPN's streaming platform, WatchESPN.

BsiC8UHIEAAnGoi.png:large

Apparently only Germans can celebrate goals now. 23 Germans, to be exact. Everyone else has lost the right to celebrate goals, by not winning the 2014 World Cup. The tens of thousands of other professional soccer players around the planet, they should show some humility by remaining stoic after all goals, at least until 2018 when 23 new soccer players will gain goal celebration rights.

LOL

I'm confused. Was it 17.3 million or 20.8 million that watched it on ABC?

Edit: This is my first time posting in US Soccer GAF. Hi!

Welcome!

Do you guys think the New Orleans area could sustain an MLS team? The Nielsen ratings for the US-Belgium game have made me optimistic, given how well we performed relative to certain markets with MLS teams:

People I know often point to poor attendance for New Orleans Jesters games as evidence that an MLS team would struggle, but I don't think it'd be wise to base anything on a so-so NPSL team.

/longs for an MLS team

Do you guys think the New Orleans area could sustain an MLS team? The Nielsen ratings for the US-Belgium game have made me optimistic, given how well we performed relative to certain markets with MLS teams:

People I know often point to poor attendance for New Orleans Jesters games as evidence that an MLS team would struggle, but I don't think it'd be wise to base anything on a so-so NPSL team.

/longs for an MLS team

No. I don't think the city really cares enough to 'support' a team.

Where would they play too? I guess they could at the New Tulane Stadium. As its not a bad size, but probably too big and it'd conflict with football at the end of the season. I think there's an difference between interest in the sport and supporting a team financially by going and spending money on it. The MLS wants people in the stadiums. To be honest I don't know how the city still has an NBA team. I only got the sense that people cared about the Saints and LSU

Where would they play too? I guess they could at the New Tulane Stadium. As its not a bad size, but probably too big and it'd conflict with football at the end of the season. I think there's an difference between interest in the sport and supporting a team financially by going and spending money on it. The MLS wants people in the stadiums. To be honest I don't know how the city still has an NBA team. I only got the sense that people cared about the Saints and LSU

The Pelicans have somehow been pulling 95% attendance ratings:

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

And according to that Nielsen data, the GNO had higher ratings for the World Cup than cities like Salt Lake, Seattle, and Portland.

And there are plenty of soccer watching bars in the city, and I saw a surprising number of USMNT t-shirts when I was making deliveries near the quarter this past Friday (something I rarely have to do).

Esch

Banned

/longs for an MLS team

Sorry, can't be objective about this until Saint Louis gets one.

Our international friendlies draw thousands dammit. Fuck you for coming into existence, New York City FC.

Fuck.

YOU.

xbhaskarx

U-20s won their first game 2-1:

Quakes F Tommy Thompson added to U.S. U20 MNT roster for current camp in California.

U.S. U20 MNT XI: Castano; Requejo, Amick, Donovan, Moore; Canouse, Arce, Gooch; Gall, Lopez, Arriola (c)

Chile: Cortés; Rodríguez, Kuscevic, Vegas, Pavez; S.Díaz, Fuentes, Carvallo, Cuevas; Jeraldino y C.Díaz.

Goal Chile. Ball over the top of the U.S. Defense. Castano comes out of his box for it. He barely hits it. Chile #10 scores on open net. 1-0

It's halftime at NTC Invitational: Chile 1, U.S. U-20 MNT 0; USA has 4-1 advantage in shots on goal

Goal US. Novakovich scores on first touch. Pfeffer with the assist. 1-1 67'

Goal US. Arriola to Pfeffer for the tap in at the far post. 2-1 US 73'

U.S. U-20 MNT Bench Sparks Comeback Victory Against Chile at NTC Invitational

/longs for an MLS team

Looks like Indy is a better bet.

Maybe Sacramento too.

KingK

/longs for an MLS team

Looking at that, Indy ought to get a team. I live about 45 minutes away from the city and work at a McDonald's owned by the Indianapolis corporate. I've been seeing ads on the trays for Indy's new NASL team, Indy 11, all month. If they get good attendance the city should be seriously considered for an MLS team I think. As far as I know, Indy tends to have great attendance for pretty much all sports. I've got a few friends who live in the city, so I might try to go to a game sometime when I'm there.

NH Apache

Banned

/longs for an MLS team

People don't know about the jesters. They don't advertise. There are a couple of guys that grew up with my wife on the team and we go occasionally, but it is dead there. I wish they would advertise.

Pretty much. But that's mostly for people who live outside the city. There is a pretty young soccer fanbase here too, but you're right. I'm not sure where they could play.

Edit: Also, remember we have over a million in Jeff parish. Many, many are Central and South Americans. Huge soccer loving audience.

Osorio

Looking at that, Indy ought to get a team. I live about 45 minutes away from the city and work at a McDonald's owned by the Indianapolis corporate. I've been seeing ads on the trays for Indy's new NASL team, Indy 11, all month. If they get good attendance the city should be seriously considered for an MLS team I think. As far as I know, Indy tends to have great attendance for pretty much all sports. I've got a few friends who live in the city, so I might try to go to a game sometime when I'm there.

Indy's GM is Peter Wilt. He's one of the best GMs in the country, at least for teams trying to make their footprint in the market. I know many Chicago Fire fans wish he was still in the organization.

People don't know about the jesters. They don't advertise. There are a couple of guys that grew up with my wife on the team and we go occasionally, but it is dead there. I wish they would advertise.

Pretty much. But that's mostly for people who live outside the city. There is a pretty young soccer fanbase here too, but you're right. I'm not sure where they could play.

Edit: Also, remember we have over a million in Jeff parish. Many, many are Central and South Americans. Huge soccer loving audience.
I only found out about the Jesters when a friend started telling me I should come to the games. And I can't imagine they have much money to advertise with when there are so many free tickets floating around the parking lot prior to the game. I've never had to pay to get in. (Assuming somebody else didn't pay for those, of course.)

Oddly, the friend that invited me plays a lot of soccer and watches the shit out of the EPL and Champion's League, but he has no interest in MLS. Though I'd imagine he'd be just as enamored with a larger club as he is with the Jesters should one come to NO.

Osorio

The only one of the Red Bulls' three trialists I see still here is Scottish winger Martin Woods. #rbny

Looks like we have another LW

Looks like the Xavi dream is over, but what does that say for Convey?

NH Apache

Banned
I only found out about the Jesters when a friend started telling me I should come to the games. And I can't imagine they have much money to advertise with when there are so many free tickets floating around the parking lot prior to the game. I've never had to pay to get in. (Assuming somebody else didn't pay for those, of course.)

Oddly, the friend that invited me plays a lot of soccer and watches the shit out of the EPL and Champion's League, but he has no interest in MLS. Though I'd imagine he'd be just as enamored with a larger club as he is with the Jesters should one come to NO.

Yeah. The shitty thing is: they don't even show when they are playing!

http://nolajesters.com/team/schedule/

How the shit am I gonna know when to show. Basic issues that prevent growth for the team.

xbhaskarx

Some ratings comparisons...

Canada:
Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper
The 4.93 million figure on CBC beat the 2013 Grey Cup, the 2014 NHL Winter Classic and every game from the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Seattle:
Aaron Levine ‏@AaronQ13Fox
Sunday's Household Ratings in Sea-Tac Market: #Mariners 5.3, #SoundersFC 3.7 BUT 25-54 yr olds (main demo): #SoundersFC 3.8, #Mariners 1.2
From Nielsen, season averages in Sea-Tac Market: Median age of #Mariners viewers is 61.9. Median age of #SoundersFC viewers is 44.4.

xbhaskarx

Am I the only person who doesn't like a club to be owned by another club?

It makes the team look like a minor league organization.

Welcome the the modern capitalist globalized world... there are plenty of MLS ownership groups involved in multiple teams. Limiting it to just soccer: Galaxy and Hammarby in Sweden (plus half of the Houston Dynamo still). NYRB and other RBs in Austria and Germany. Rapids and Arsenal. DCU and Inter MIlan. Quakes ownership has a piece of Celtic...

Do you have a problem with all of these or just NY City?

Fox318

Welcome the the modern capitalist globalized world... there are plenty of MLS ownership groups involved in multiple teams. Limiting it to just soccer: Galaxy and Hammarby in Sweden (plus half of the Houston Dynamo still). NYRB and other RBs in Austria and Germany. Rapids and Arsenal. DCU and Inter MIlan. Quakes ownership has a piece of Celtic...

Do you have a problem with all of these or just NY City?

all of them

xbhaskarx

Quakes stadium construction...

tumblr_n8rped4u9I1snufyso1_500.jpg

Field graded for Bermuda grass installation #quakes74 #buildingitnow

tumblr_n8rpg6Wsxp1snufyso1_500.jpg

End zone terrace in front of Scoreboard bar #quakes74 #buildingitnow

tumblr_n8rpheNGu31snufyso1_500.jpg

Press box being built #quakes74 #buildingitnow

tumblr_n8rqy4SKI01snufyso1_500.jpg

All stander supporters terrace #buildingitnow #quakes74

tumblr_n8rr51xzKe1snufyso1_500.jpg

Field taking shape #quakes74 #buildingitnow

NoRéN

doing this right after the world cup annoys me. i don't know why, but it does.

Meh, a celebration fitting of his attitude. Not surprising. It's not like he's going to get to celebrate any goals in a world cup again so, celebrate your heart out Dempsey!

xbhaskarx

Dom Dwyer for USMNT? Sporting KC forward: "Something every player would love to do"

Sporting Kansas City's high-scoring English forward is intrigued by the idea, even though he's still three years away from eligibility for US citizenship.

“Every player wants to play on the international stage,” Dwyer told MLSsoccer.com by phone on Tuesday from Columbus, where Sporting take a four-match unbeaten streak into Wednesday's match against the Crew (7:30 pm ET, MLS Live). “I think if I were to get called in the future and have an opportunity, I think that's something every player would love to do and dream of.”

That's not to say Dwyer has turned his back on the idea of representing England at the international level, though.

“Obviously, the dream was always to play for England,” he said. “I never thought I'd have an opportunity to play for anyone else.”

Dwyer will be 27 in 2018, one year younger than Altidore and the same age as Johannsson and Boyd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom