• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Arsenal stays giving us pointless trophies.

If only we played them every week!

Btgclr9IYAA9Zr3.jpg

gun__1312190140_redbulls_winners2011.jpg

Galarcep with some Zelalem commentary:
Gedion Zelalem still hasn't made a decision on a national team, and said he does not have a U.S. passport yet, but that it's in the works.

Zelalem said he rooted for the USA during the World Cup, along with Germany. Made it seem as though he isn't close to a decision yet.

I asked Zelalem if he has a USA jersey. His response: "My father has one." That sound you hear is Klinsmann sending a FedEx package.

xbhaskarx

Pelosi recovering from his broken leg...
Marc Pelosi @marcPelosi

happy to get some time back on the pitch vs club brugge! and a 4-0 win as well.

USAprospects ‏@USAprospects

Sebi Lletgett isn't the only impressive #usynt at West Ham. Hearing that '96 Djair Parfitt-Williams is showing well with Hammers U21s

Looks like another one in the Zelalem not-quite-yet camp...

West Ham Academy whiz-kid Djair Parfitt-Williams has pledged his international allegiance to the USA rather than play for Bermuda, the country of his birth.

The 17-year-old striker, who moved to California when he was eight, is close to receiving his US citizenship and hopes to represent the Stars and Stripes at the international level.

He was recommended to West Ham by former Bermuda and West Ham legend Clyde Best, who spotted the promising striker starring for San Jose Earthquakes Academy.

Parfitt-Williams said he had already been approached by US national team coaches to play for them at the youth level.

“I want to play for the US soon but I don’t have my citizenship yet. I am a resident there, but to play for the US you have to have your citizenship.

“They have been calling me but I’ve had to say ‘no’ because I haven’t had the citizenship, but hopefully I’ll get it in the next few months or something like that.”

xbhaskarx

Real Madrid and Atletico invade Bay Area

What are the chances of Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid playing in the San Francisco Bay Area on the same weekend? And which team do you think fans want to see? A sell-out crowd is expected Saturday in Berkeley for Real Madrid-Inter Milan while a much smaller crowd is anticipated Sunday for the San Jose Earthquakes-Atletico Madrid game in the last match at San Francisco's Candlestick Park.

Even without most of its stars -- Cristiano Ronaldo isn't even expected to join the team until Saturday -- Real Madrid is a huge draw in the United States. It averaged 53,448 fans last summer for its three games in the Guinness International Champions Cup, which it won.

And it should easily top that this summer. The Real Madrid-Manchester United game Aug. 2 in Ann Arbor, Mich., should break the U.S. soccer attendance record of 101,799 fans for the 1984 Olympic gold-medal match between France and Brazil at the Rose Bowl.

Happy for Henry to win that game even though it was just an exhibition. Might help validate his move to MLS with some of his peers.

Relieved for the Red Bulls and MLS joining Minnesota United FC with a win against a premiere league team this summer.

Azuran

Banned
OMG, that was just frustrating. Someone teach Jackson how to freaking finish. He had 3 clear chances at goal alone and blew them all. Also still pissed at Collin not seeing red in the first half.

Bleh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Happy for Henry to win that game even though it was just an exhibition. Might help validate his move to MLS with some of his peers.

Relieved for the Red Bulls and MLS joining Minnesota United FC with a win against a premiere league team this summer.

Considering it could have easily been 3-0 and how it felt like Red Bull wasn't really pushing that hard to get there, that game might earn MLS a tiny bit of respect. After that first goal we went into "who gives a shit" mode. Had we actually pushed it could have been a blowout.

Osorio

Considering it could have easily been 3-0 and how it felt like Red Bull wasn't really pushing that hard to get there, that game might earn MLS a tiny bit of respect. After that first goal we went into "who gives a shit" mode. Had we actually pushed it could have been a blowout.

It sucks that we only play that way in the regular season when we're down a goal or two.

Today's composure took me back to last season's team.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It sucks that we only play that way in the regular season when we're down a goal or two.

Today's composure took me back to last season's team.

Yea we looked good and it was pretty clear we were the better team. I wish we could play with that sort of composure more often.

That said, I would have liked to see a second goal just as a dagger. The teams we'll be facing in the coming weeks won't give us such an easy time when they're down a goal, we gotta learn how to put the game away.

Osorio

Yea we looked good and it was pretty clear we were the better team. I wish we could play with that sort of composure more often.

That said, I would have liked to see a second goal just as a dagger. The teams we'll be facing in the coming weeks won't give us such an easy time when they're down a goal, we gotta learn how to put the game away.

I'm excited for Wednesday. Sam is out for yellow card accumulation so Alexander will play that wing. So well probably see the oyongo with miller left side. Oyongo is looking like the type of player heading somewhere else in two years.

I love Dax but he's had a shit season. I'd love to see olave paired with miazga and segayka in front of the back 4

We need points now before the brutal September schedule.

Matt Doyle going in hard

Matthew Doyle @MLSAnalyst · 9h
One last thought before bed: Just want to congratulate all the Arsenal fans who went to their first-ever soccer game today. Seemed like lots

Matthew Doyle @MLSAnalyst · 9h
Must be amazing to have a chance to support, in person, a team you first fell in love with while playing a video game. Special moment.

Osorio

Doyle revels in trolling Arsenal fans, so yesterday was like Christmas for him.

Surely, but I can't lie there was a certain happiness I had yesterday from knowing eurosnobs who don't come to support us at all dished out hundreds of dollars to watch THAT. I'm not sure how it is in SF but if you go to soccer bars in NYC, there's a certain disdain you get for supporting your local team. The horror! So...fuck those guys.

Osorio

[NPSL] Chattanooga FC set an attendance record Saturday when 8,878 fans turned out at Finley Stadium for its 4-1 win over Sacramento Gold FC in the National Premier Soccer League semifinals.

Jason Jones opened the scoring for Sacramento with a shot from 40 yards, but it was all Chattanooga after that as it moved ahead on goals by Englishman Luke Winter and Brazilian Jose Ferraz. Luis Trude, another Brazilian, and Englishman James Moore added goals in the second half.

Chattanooga FC will meet the winner of the New York Red Bulls U-23-Lansing United match to be played Sunday at the Red Bulls' training facility.

CFC has reached the NPSL championship game twice before, losing in the 2010 and 2012 finals.

World Cup bump? That's a pretty amazing crowd for essentially the 4th division.

Osorio

They're insufferable. I know 3 or 4 people in real life that are huge Arsenel fans that I can't stand. How did they even start liking that crappy team?

Cornballer is an Arsenal fan too :D

The only Arsenal fan I can stand is this dude Ali that used to be a big Metro fan but hardly comes back after the name change. He has awesome stories of away trips in the 80s, and some of the songs sung in the North London derby at the time. The rest of them are annoying as fuck. I really hate when they call themselves gooners.

Surely, but I can't lie there was a certain happiness I had yesterday from knowing eurosnobs who don't come to support us at all dished out hundreds of dollars to watch THAT. I'm not sure how it is in SF but if you go to soccer bars in NYC, there's a certain disdain you get for supporting your local team. The horror! So...fuck those guys.
I understand that angle. I was making fun of a bunch of people that showed up to a Quakes game the night before the World Cup final wearing their new German jerseys. He just regularly goes off on Arsenal in his timeline because he enjoys trolling and always gets a response on this. Obviously, this would annoy me more than most people. It's one of those internet-age things where if you follow someone, for better or worse you're forced to listen to their whole spectrum of likes and dislikes. I enjoy some of his MLS and USMNT commentary, but when he starts in on Arsenal or Big East basketball, I just roll my eyes.

Osorio

In MLS action, there's Vancouver - Dallas this afternoon at 5pm ET and Montreal - Portland at 8pm ET. Both are on MLS Live.

The Quakes - Atletico Madrid game is at 7pm ET, as well, and I'm headed over to Candlestick for that. Thankfully, it's the last time I have to go to that awful venue. In other stadium news, there's a bunch of new pictures of the Quakes stadium up on MLS Soccer right now. Lookin' good!

My girlfriend's dad is pretty upset about Candlestick going down. I guess it's more a sentimental thing, and he lived in the Excelsior so it was a pretty easy trip over there. He gave me a few of these because he had so many!

628x471.jpg

My girlfriend's dad is pretty upset about Candlestick going down. I guess it's more a sentimental thing, and he lived in the Excelsior so it was a pretty easy trip over there. He gave me a few of these because he had so many!

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/10/62/52/2304650/15/628x471.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]That's a pretty cool button.

I can understand the sentimentality as a lot of cool stuff happened at the Stick over the years, but it's a shitty venue for watching anything.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
They're insufferable. I know 3 or 4 people in real life that are huge Arsenel fans that I can't stand. How did they even start liking that crappy team?

I started supporting them b/c when we got Henry, I said "Oh, I'll support the team he came from."

And plus, fuck Manchester. Both teams.

But yeah, the atmosphere was interesting yesterday. Someone in a Spurs hat tried to start some shit with an Arsenal supporter a section down from me. That was funny.

ZZMitch

Anyone know of a good blog for MLS news? I have a bookmark for most of the leagues I watch but no mls... thanks.

Unlike most other leagues, MLS's official website is actually really good for news on the league. Its pretty much my go to source (along with following people like Grant Wahl on Twitter) for MLS news with all the things they post and some good podcasts to listen to at work.

Also regarding Arsenal, if I was gunna support an EPL team I would support them. They have a cannon in their logo! Badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom