• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

I'll bet Red Bulls, Fire, and DC do not concede as many goals combined as the galaxy did in their match against united.

Fucking Galaxy.

xbhaskarx

He certainly fits a need for SJ, but I'm concerned about him being tiny and injury prone. We'll see how it pans out.

He may be short but he's stocky
(let's not even mention the two famous Argentinians with a similar body type and playing style)
, not sure about his injury history.

Based on his highlight videos he actually plays a bit like Tommy Thompson so hopefully the kid can learn some moves from him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imgZiInLNOc

Zelalem with the start:
TEAM ANNOUNCED! Szczesny, Jenkinson, Hayden, Monreal, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Zelalem, Ramsey, Cazorla, Rosicky #ArsenalNYC

He may be short but he's stocky
(let's not even mention the two famous Argentinians with a similar body type and playing style)
, not sure about his injury history.

Based on his highlight videos he actually plays a bit like Tommy Thompson so hopefully the kid can learn some moves from him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imgZiInLNOc
I'm curious if he's going to play on the wing or centrally.

Mully

We're looking pretty okay in the midfield. Some solid througballs in the offensive third too. Good start.

Sidenote: Lalas sounds so god damn high.

Did I hear the MLS is 0-6-2 in international friendlies this year? Hopefully the MLS gets win #1 today. I hear all the time how the MLS has improved, but they still aren't showing it against international competition.

Dartastic

Did I hear the MLS is 0-6-2 in international friendlies this year? Hopefully the MLS gets win #1 today. I hear all the time how the MLS has improved, but they still aren't showing it against international competition.
We've shown it in a few games (Seattle, Columbus) and really shat the bed in others (LA, based on fucking Bruce Arena.)

Regardless, we definitely have gotten better and we will continue to. Next season will be really interesting with the two new clubs coming in, especially if the salary cap is raised.

ZZMitch

We've shown it in a few games (Seattle, Columbus) and really shat the bed in others (LA, based on fucking Bruce Arena.)

Regardless, we definitely have gotten better and we will continue to. Next season will be really interesting with the two new clubs coming in, especially if the salary cap is raised.

I'd be very surprised if the salary cap is not raised significantly next year

Osorio

I don't blame New Yorkers for not coming to see us. The path on the weekends is atrocious.

And I'm not sure many people know how convenient the penn station to Newark nj transit train is

Osorio

Really enjoyed that left side of oyongo and miller. I hope Petke tries that Wednesday

As for this second half ill be happy if we don't get slaughtered. Will be nice to see meara in go again

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't blame New Yorkers for not coming to see us. The path on the weekends is atrocious.

And I'm not sure many people know how convenient the penn station to Newark nj transit train is

Not many, they need to get the word out about it. They gotta mention how easy it is to get there when they talk about the ticket plans.

BWP's out already?

xbhaskarx

Dude, after the past ten years, I don't think any arsenal fan is a bandwagon fan
It's not always the case that these types are bandwagon fans but many certainly are.

My cousin became an Arsenal fan in the early 2000s, I think with a lot of Eurodouches you can tell when they became a fan based on which team they support: Man United, "invincibles" Arsenal, UCL winners Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Guardiola's Barcelona, now Bayern and Man City...

Let's be honest when Sac Republic played yesterday the stadium wasn't exactly packed with West Brom fans, is that a coincidence?

How many of these people have ANY real connection to the team they support?

Dartastic

I'd be very surprised if the salary cap is not raised significantly next year
Me too, but until that happens I'm not holding my breath.
It's not always the case that these types are bandwagon fans but many certainly are.

My cousin became an Arsenal fan in the early 2000s, I think with a lot of Eurodouches you can tell when they became a fan based on which team they support: Man United, "invincibles" Arsenal, UCL winners Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Guardiola's Barcelona, now Bayern and Man City...
I started following soccer in 2005. I decided that Liverpool would be my team because I was living in Sheffield, UK at the time and the soccer fans I knew all loved Man U and hated Liverpool. They were also all assholes. It was an easy choice for me. :p

Osorio

Not many, they need to get the word out about it. They gotta mention how easy it is to get there when they talk about the ticket plans.

BWP's out already?
There are plenty of options but only the path is mentioned.

They also don't mention the places to go before and after the game. Lots of people come by train go to the stadium and get back in the train after. That's not a quality day out imo

Osorio

They're redoing the nearby path station eventually, right? When is that happening? Will it improve things?
That's not the problem. On weekends the World Trade Center to Newark line does not run. That line is a quick and easy 20 minutes to Harrison. Renovations are going to go on until next year

Now you take a train from midtown that takes 35 mins to journal square then transfer to another train that takes you to Harrison in ten minutes. Those trains are usually infrequent and overcrowded.

Osorio

Petke still not using kids. Wtf

At least akpan gets more than 3 minutes today

Not happy about Armando playing over miazga

Meara :(

Osorio

I'm hoping houllier looks at the crowd and realizes we need some kind of advertising budget.

Sadly this is probably the second time he's seen us in person. The first being the second leg of the 2012 playoffs against dc

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm hoping houllier looks at the crowd and realizes we need some kind of advertising budget.

Sadly this is probably the second time he's seen us in person. The first being the second leg of the 2012 playoffs against dc

For real, the only ads I've ever seen for us have been some posters plastered in parts of Manhattan.

Nesotenso

the results from these friendlies are meaningless. I wish we didn't have them. Just detrimental for the MLS teams. EPL clubs will never host other clubs when they are in the middle of the season.

Somewhat dull game. Good job by RBNY to get the win.

I didn't see too much from Zelalem. He had a couple of nice touches and his passing was fine, but there wasn't much spark from him. Still, he's only 17 and presumably he'll play more central in the future rather than out on the wing.

In other news, Fulham are up 2-0 on DCU. Emerson Hyndman started for Fulham.

xbhaskarx

I think with a lot of Eurodouches you can tell when they became a fan based on which team they support: Man United, "invincibles" Arsenal, UCL winners Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Guardiola's Barcelona, now Bayern and Man City...
I started following soccer in 2005. I decided that Liverpool would be my team because I was living in Sheffield, UK at the time and the soccer fans I knew all loved Man U and hated Liverpool. They were also all assholes. It was an easy choice for me. :p

Soo, coincidentally the year Liverpool won Champions League? ;-)

But of course I was speaking of people who live here yet consider all American teams (usually even the national team) to be beneath them, whereas you obviously support your local teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom