• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Diskerud would have better served coming to the MLS. He would earn more and I don't think the Scandinavian leagues are all that better than MLS. And if he wanted he could use MLS as a springboard to make it back to Europe. He doesn't even seem to be starting all that much for Rosenberg.

Esch

Banned
Don't know what to say re: some of the euro responses (on gaf and other places) that we were playing recklessly or whatever against jet lagged players etc. I mean we also have people coming off planes and that too from having had matches a couple days before this exhibition, and a couple days after. Perhaps we shouldn't try, so we can get goals run up on us and have people say the MLS is trash overall? Or should we just play decently hard and lose? Weird.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Diskerud would have better served coming to the MLS. He would earn more and I don't think the Scandinavian leagues are all that better than MLS. And if he wanted he could use MLS as a springboard to make it back to Europe. He doesn't even seem to be starting all that much for Rosenberg.

Yea, I was really hoping he'd come over. Guess we can blame his dad for this one, dude could use an actual agent.

Don't know what to say re: some of the euro responses (on gaf and other places) that we were playing recklessly or whatever against jet lagged players etc. I mean we also have people coming off planes and that too from having had matches a couple days before this exhibition, and a couple days after. Perhaps we shouldn't try, so we can get goals run up on us and have people say the MLS is trash overall? Or should we just play decently hard and lose? Weird.

I dunno that we played that rough, outside of that one tackle. We played well and didn't give them an easy match, had we lost 1-0 I doubt anyone would be saying anything. Donovan and Henry showed once again that they're show horses, performing better when people are watching, and BWP just doesn't know how not to score.

No most of the complaints come from the fact that these dudes we're getting pissy about are dudes with horrible reputations.

Why play them significant minutes if you knew they have a history of doing questionable things?

Pep's trying his asstastic version of 3-4-3 and it's never ever fucking worked, so not exactly surprised we got exposed on counters and diagonal balls in space between center halves. MLS played a great game. Kudos. Pisses me off that there will be another 10 years before Bayern does a U.S. tour again.

No one really gave a shit when Galaxy coughed up 7 to Man U. 3 minutes of that match is all you need to realize neither team was taking it seriously.

xbhaskarx

nothing against the MLS All Stars team but Bayern loosing is kinda shocking. they must be in bad shape.

Sorry, Bayern lost, that means they suck.

donovanshades.gif

Just have fun, you don't get to get in those kind of parties every day.

Honestly, my big WC complaint isn't so much a lack of Donovan but a lack of an attacking midfield. We didn't have anyone making that third or fourth run into the box, those "let's just make this run to be sure we score" runs. Going forward I hope Klinsmann noticed that and will throw some more attackers in the midfield. We could have beaten Portugal and tied Germany with an extra attacking run.

we were beating portugal until the last 30 seconds yo

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it's a preseason game.

A team in preseason lost against a team that practiced together all of twice, that's all there really is to say about it. It was an exhibition, it means next to nothing.

we were beating portugal until the last 30 seconds yo

I know, but there were opportunities where another attacking run could have led to a goal. We could have been up 3-1 and won despite that last goal.

A couple interesting ones this morning from Seltzer:

On Diskerud:
I know what to do. Considering my recent misdirection episode, I feel for any scribe handed bad info and realize it can happen to anybody. Most of you have probably seen or tangentially read a report from NSC pal Grant Wahl claiming that Mikkel Diskerud had agreed a deal with the Columbus Crew until his dad/agent asked for more money.

Well, I spoke with Papa Diskerud late last night and this is simply incorrect (as is any suggestion that the same thing happened with Portland last year). This morning, he stated that it was 'wrong' in the Norwegian press and mentioned that Crew boss Gregg Berhalter (another NSC pal) would corroborate.

I have sent an email off to good ol' Gregg (who I also can aver was not the root of the misinformation) and am waiting on a reply. Like current Mix employers Rosenborg, the Crew remain among the pre-contract suitors for the USMNT midfielder, who can become a free agent on January 1st.

So, getting down to the grits, any angry Columbus/MLS fans should just take a breath and stop being angry at Mix and/or his pop.
Also, Mixx comments on BigSoccer about the story.

Also, on Kljestan and the Galaxy:
I have just been told by the Anderlecht press officer that there has been no loan or transfer deal clinched for Sacha Kljestan as of Thursday afternoon. Connecting the dots, one can then only presume that the 2 pm local time press conference apparently being held by the Los Angeles Galaxy today is related to someone or something else.

Askani

So LA can have as many DPs as they want?

He falls in into Sub-designated Player Level 2 Mark 4. Category 7 obviously. Geeze man, learn the rules already.

EDIT :::::

Andrew King ‏@AndrewKingMLS 9m
Berhalter said he has no idea what the LA Galaxy press conference is about, and that #Crew96 have not moved in allocation order.​

Nesotenso

gutshot

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don't write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,
Landon

https://www.facebook.com/landondonovan/posts/10154476628055010

Dartastic

Super glad I saw Landy play in the All Star Game last night, and super glad he won the MVP award, especially as this is his last season as a player. Legend.

Alur

I agree but twellman always makes me switch to espn deportes

Twellman is always so over the top, very hyperbolic with everything. He's like the Men In Blazers, only without the cleverness and no tongue in cheek. Every overreaction he is serious as shit. That said I don't hate listening to games with him in the booth, I'd just rather it was someone else as well.

Glad I got to see Landon a couple weeks back when the Galaxy came to SKC while I was in town for a match. He's never been a favorite, but it's sad he's leaving out so soon. Good for him for doing what he wants regardless of opinion, though - both with his sabbatical and now.

xbhaskarx

Damn that sucks... I blame Klinsmann.

What records does Donovan have at this point?

MLS: Most goals, most playoff goals, most All Star goals, most MLS Cups, second in assists

US: Most goals, most assists, most World Cup goals

Could anyone even argue that he wasn't the best player ever for both the US national team and MLS....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom