• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Damn that sucks... I blame Klinsmann.

What records does Donovan have at this point?

MLS: Most goals, most playoff goals, most All Star goals, most MLS Cups, second in assists

US: Most goals, most assists, most World Cup goals

Could anyone even argue that he wasn't the best player ever for both the US national team and MLS....

He might be able to grab most assists by the end of the season.

Damn, this is pretty shocking. He could have kept going for a few years, he's still got the speed, endurance and skill. So we're losing Donovan and Henry...damn.

What records does Donovan have at this point?
Landon Donovan's impressive career
• Donovan has 57 international goals and 58 assists, making him the only American to reach 50 in either of those categories. Clint Dempsey is second in goals with 39; Cobi Jones is second in assists with a mere 22. Donovan also has more assists than the next three Americans combined (Cobi Jones 22, Claudio Reyna 19, Eddie Lewis/Eric Wynalda 16).

• Donovan scored when it mattered too. He tallied five goals and 12 games at the World Cup, both most in U.S. history, and no other player from any CONCACAF country has scored five World Cup goals.

• He leads MLS scoring in all forms of competition. Donovan has 138 regular-season goals after breaking Jeff Cunningham's record of 134 in May, 2014. Donovan needed 311 games to score 135 goals, passing Cunningham's mark in 54 fewer games. And he set the All-Star game scoring record on Wednesday with his sixth career goal, snapping a tie with Brian McBride.

• Donovan also scored 22 MLS playoff goals, six more than second-best Carlos Ruiz, and he's won a record-tying five MLS Cups thus far, equal with Jeff Agoos and Brian Mullan for most all-time.

• He has a pile of accolades to go with his stats. Donovan is the only man to win U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year four times, and his 14 All-Star selections are the most in MLS history. Donovan was named MLS MVP one time (2009), and he won the MLS Golden Boot once as well, leading the league with 20 goals in 2008.

Osorio

If LA plays the rest of the season like they have their last few then its practically in the bag.
Seattle may get the shield but because of the away goals rule "home field advantage" is not advantageous

Kansas City is the only team that stands a chance in the east

Man this sucks. He still has a few years in him to continue playing. It is almost going to be a year since he signed a new multi-year contract extension with the La Galaxy. Something must have changed this year if he was going to play a few more years to all of a sudden retire. I definitely think being left out of the world cup had something to do with his decision. Yesterday, in the post game he said he said he was in a good mood leading to the world cup and that when he did not make it he was let down. He said this is the reason he was in a little slump during the season, but he was over it. Are you happy Klinsmann? Are you happy now?
It has been a great career and great run for Donovan. Hopefully, he can retire with a championship just like Beckham did.

Osorio

NoRéN;124375625 said:
Wow. Lol

At least he gets to go out the greatest American soccer player of all time. It's going to be fun watching his records stand for years to come.

In all seriousness, I bet Mexico i grateful for this news.

kingkitty

Goodbye Donovan.

You were my favorite balding American soccer player.

I don't know if it was the right decision to leave Donovan out of 2014 WC, but man, it would've been nice to see him there. Oh well, I still have 2010 memories.

RELAYER

Banned
Goodbye Donovan.

You were my favorite balding American soccer player.

I don't know if it was the right decision to leave Donovan out of 2014 WC, but man, it would've been nice to see him there. Oh well, I still have 2010 memories.

It wasn't.
It killed Donovan and knocked us out the round of 16.
Now Klinnsman and his son can talk shit behind closed doors in peace.

kingkitty

It wasn't.

On the bright side, Donovan got a sweet ESPN gig during the WC. Although every time I saw him talk, he looked like he was about to cry.

Toothpick

Super bummed hearing about Landon Donovan. At least he goes out at the peak of his career.
It'd be amazing if Galaxy is able to win the MLS cup as a goodbye present.

i think Jermaine Jones is really likely to join LA next season now

Meier

It wasn't.

3zzz.gif
3zzz.gif
3zzz.gif
3zzz.gif
3zzz.gif

I'm amazed that people aren't tired of this nonsense already.

NoRéN

In all seriousness, I bet Mexico i grateful for this news.
Yeah, having the player that embodies the shift in the rivalry retire certainly will be symbolic for them.
It wasn't.
Hush before the donovan haters get started.
Maybe Donovan will shave his head and become a US goalie

Smallest USMNT goalkeeper ever. Another record to add to the long list. :)

Meier

With a subsequent loan to Plymouth Argyle!

I wonder what Spurs depth chart is for RM/RB

My eyes about bulged out of my head when I read this before reading the link. Talk about the ultimate slap in the face if that were true. :lol They obviously have Kyle Walker ahead of him but they also have Kyle Naughton right now who frankly is not very good. I think Yedlin could go into the squad immediately when he joined.

Askani

Peter Vermes killing it on team transfers: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...es-dismisses-rumors-linking-dom-dwyer-brentfo

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – In shooting down the latest transfer rumors swirling around one of his stars, Sporting Kansas City manager and technical director Peter Vermes had a blunt message for any other clubs trying to buy someone off his roster:

This isn't soccer's discount store any more.

“I'm not wasting time with these clubs that think that they can come and bargain-basement shop here and get guys for free,” Vermes said on Thursday, during the club's weekly news conference ahead of Sunday's away date with Vancouver (8 pm ET, MLS Live in US, TSN/RDS2 in Canada). “Because our guys are just as valuable as so many players around the world, and sometimes even more valuable. And we're not just going to give guys away for little money.”

Britain's Sky Sports reported on Wednesday that an English club, newly-promoted Championship side Brentford FC, were making a run at All-Star forward Dom Dwyer during the summer transfer window. But on Thursday, Vermes dismissed that talk out of hand.

“Is there anything to talk about on that? Nothing,” he said. “Absolutely nothing. I've said this before – and it's not just him, it's a lot of our players – we get offers on our players every day. But there's offers that are worth discussing, and there's ones that aren't. This one wasn't worth discussing.”

Sporting typically don't discuss serious deals – like the one Sporting Clube de Portugal made for midfielder Uri Rosell earlier this season, and Middlesbrough's purchase of forward Kei Kamara last season – until they're announced.

“There's so many that just get pushed aside, because they're not – I don't want to say they're not legitimate,” Vermes said. “It's just that our position here is that over the years in MLS, MLS has been a league that has waited for other clubs to sort of make offers, and I don't believe in that. I think we need to value our players ourselves. We have our own market, what we think they're worth. And once you tell another team what they're worth, then either they're in or they're out. There's no in between any more.”

That was Sporting's approach in selling both Kamara and Rosell, Vermes said, with the latter's purchase deal including a percentage of any future sale from the Portuguese club.

“If you look at us over the last year and how we've sold a couple of guys, people know that we're not playing around,” he said. “If we're going to do something, we're going to do it, and we're going to do it because it's beneficial to the player, but also to the club. And the players know that as well, and the numbers aren't going to be chicken feed. It's going to be real dollars.”

Dear Brentford

GTFO.

Signed,
9KTiFFW.jpg

xbhaskarx

Paul Kennedy ‏@pkedit

Wednesday's #MLSAllStar Game viewers on ESPN2: 862K. More than the last two games combined: 319K in 2013 for Roma, 530K in 2012 for Chelsea.

Paul Kennedy ‏@pkedit

Wednesday's #MLSAllStar Game viewers on ESPN2: 862K. More than the last two games combined: 319K in 2013 for Roma, 530K in 2012 for Chelsea.

It was a great game too so hopefully that includes some newer viewers.

Got tickets to Union v Montreal so hopefully Valdes and M'Bolhi play.

xbhaskarx

Republic FC president on MLS in Sacramento: 'It's not a matter of if, but when'

Smith said the team, along with representatives from the city of Sacramento and Sacramento Kings, had a positive discussion with MLS officials Wednesday in Portland, the prelude to league officials visiting the region in late September.

On the itinerary when they do will be looking at a host of possible stadium sites, which Warren said will include the railyard, West Sacramento, land for the stalled Docks project, the River District and Cal Expo.

But Smith said he also welcomes a rival effort by a group called Northern California Soccer LLC that’s been working for more than four years to bring an MLS team to Elk Grove. Yet he also pointed out league officials have given Smith’s group a list of criteria for the ideal location for a stadium: within walking distance of both public transit and nightlife and restaurants, and accessible to the 18-to-34-year-old demographic that’s big on soccer.

“We’ll see if that actually meets with those objectives,” he said, though he added, “All I care about is getting a team to the region.”

Between now and the MLS visit, another step Smith’s group will need to complete is firming up an ownership structure for a new team, likely to involve the Kings in some sort of investment or partnership with the Republic. Even though talks with the Kings started just over a week ago, both teams would still need to figure out who would be involved, what the financial commitment would be and who would have dealmaking authority, Smith said.

xbhaskarx

Does Dom Dwyer Have a U.S. National Team Future?

Last month, Sporting Kansas City CEO Robb Heineman tweeted out the news that Dwyer’s American citizenship was pending and that he wanted to start up enthusiasm for his involvement on the national team. With the strong season he has had, it sparked off excitement among American fans to potentially have Dwyer in the fold.

Dwyer was surprised by Heineman’s tweet as he never planned for information to go public, but now adds that he expects to receive his U.S. passport on February 14, 2017—in time for the hexagonal round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying. One thing he was not expecting, however, was the positive reaction among fans.

“Once it came out, I kind of thought about it and there was so much positive feedback and excitement, it got me excited,” Dwyer recalled. “Even Zusi and Besler were saying to me how great it would be and how much I would love it. I think the U.S. has a fantastic thing going on. If I was ever to be called up, it would be an absolute honor.

"I’m a big fan of Jurgen Klinsmann and a big fan of the guys on the team.”

xbhaskarx

I honestly don't think Dwyer has what it takes to be a forward at the international level.

As a KC fan you see him more than anyone else here, what makes you say that?

When you say forward at the international level, what about a replacement for guys like Gomez, Wondo, etc.?

NoRéN

So, not being in the Brazil squad was the straw that broke the camel's back. At least USA made it to the World Cup final. Thanks Kilnsman.

I honestly don't think Dwyer has what it takes to be a forward at the international level.

When you say forward at the international level, what about a replacement for guys like Gomez, Wondo, etc.?

Yeah I can see him at the level of those guys and if he's in form going into a tournament why wouldn't the US want him as an option?

Meier

Apparently Kaka may stay at Sao Paulo longer if they qualify for the Libertadores -- that'd be a bit of a slap in the face to Orlando City fans but I can't necessarily blame him. Hopefully they end up missing out so the point is moot.

Askani

I kind of agree with Neo. Dom is extremely hard working. His upsides are that he will not quit on balls, he will challenge for the balls in midfield, he has good vision and is always on the lookout to poach or make plays. He's just a little rough is his biggest problem. I'm not going to say he doesn't have a good touch and what not, but everything other than his work rate could be juuuuust a liiiiittle better and he'd be elite. Everything he does on the field is born out of raw energy and just going for it. That's not to say he's miles away from making it. Depending on how fast he improves is key. He'll be 28 next World Cup and peaking.

And I wish he was taller. He's only 5' 9".

I also think he pretty much has to be a center forward. I don't know how he would do on the wings. Right now though if I had to build a team out of the USMNT minus Donovan and Dempsey or whoever else, I don't know if I would say that he's starting over Johannsson or Boyd in the middle up top.

Nesotenso

I kind of agree with Neo. Dom is extremely hard working. His upsides are that he will not quit on balls, he will challenge for the balls in midfield, he has good vision and is always on the lookout to poach or make plays. He's just a little rough is his biggest problem. I'm not going to say he doesn't have a good touch and what not, but everything other than his work rate could be juuuuust a liiiiittle better and he'd be elite. Everything he does on the field is born out of raw energy and just going for it. That's not to say he's miles away from making it. Depending on how fast he improves is key. He'll be 28 next World Cup and peaking.

And I wish he was taller. He's only 5' 9".

I also think he pretty much has to be a center forward. I don't know how he would do on the wings. Right now though if I had to build a team out of the USMNT minus Donovan and Dempsey or whoever else, I don't know if I would say that he's starting over Johannsson or Boyd in the middle up top.

yup, I don't really think he will be all that more effective than guys like Altidore, Agudelo or Boyd in providing hold up play as a forward. He is having a great year but he could be a bit more polished. He will harass opposing center halves as a tireless hound but I don't think he is the kind of talent who can create something sublime out of nothing.

and comparing him to guys like Gomez and Wondo doesn't enter mind at the moment because neither are making it next cycle. Agudelo and Boyd are more likely to.

Meier

Obviously this is a ways off, but here's a rumor that I expected to hear at some point:

Kelechi Nkoro ‏@K1Says 7h
Kelechi Iheanacho Will Stay at City and then join Frank Lampard at New York City FC on loan for the coming MLS season starting in February.

He was absolutely electric on the US tour -- think he and David Villa will be a fantastic partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom