• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

I keep on forgetting that Fulham got relegated. I was thinking I somehow missed the opening weekend of the PL.

This is kinda surprising. They were the breakout stars of ESPN's World Cup coverage, so I'm surprised they let them walk. I'm guessing NBC will use them more though, probably have them on camera before and after their games every weekend. Hopefully they can keep podcasting as well!

Yeah, I'm hoping they still podcast. I vaguely remember them talking about how they just recently signed another year deal with Grantland to continue doing their podcast.

It kinda sucks that they're leaving ESPN, because rod's articles, especially on usmnt stuff was the best of the bunch (and usually most heartfelt), and now I gotta remind myself to check out NBC 's sports site to read his stuff.

Askani

Here's some Eddie Johnson goodness for you today. Posts have been deleted, but this is the internet.

What a tool.

pq1jisc.jpg

Meier

NYCFC acquired Kwame Watson-Siriboe from RSL for a 2016 4th round Super Draft pick. I have no clue who this guy is or if he's considered to be any good or not but it seems as if he has played very sparingly for them and the Fire before that.

Osorio

After yesterday I'm so glad Metro's on a 13 day break.

I haven't felt like that in a while.

Maybe it's not the time for the Petke Out banners but if they blow out of the Champions League and we don't make the playoffs I'd say Petke has to go.

xbhaskarx

NYCFC acquired Kwame Watson-Siriboe from RSL for a 2016 4th round Super Draft pick. I have no clue who this guy is or if he's considered to be any good or not but it seems as if he has played very sparingly for them and the Fire before that.

MLS
Newly signed forward Sebastián Jaime is expected to arrive in Utah “possibly late next week,” head coach Jeff Cassar told reporters on Monday, and the return of Álvaro Saborío could follow soon thereafter.

The club cleared room on its roster for the newly acquired Argentine forward (above) by trading defender Kwame Watson-Siriboe to New York City FC for a 2016 fourth-round pick on Monday. Acquired from Chicago in June 2012, Watson-Siriboe hasn't been on the field since he tore his ACL in a reserve game on June 15, 2013.

RSL acquired Jaime last week from Chilean Primera División club Unión Española, a move that Cassar called “huge.” The 27-year-old has scored 39 goals in 124 appearances for Unión Española, helping to lead the team to the Supercopa de Chile and Primera División crowns in 2013.

RSL brought in a big player, had to empty a roster spot, so NYC took this guy. A lot of these moves seem to just be filling out the roster...

Meier

RSL brought in a big player, had to empty a roster spot, so NYC took this guy. A lot of these moves seem to just be filling out the roster...

Yeah. A little strange to be honest because most of the signings from Orlando City have seemingly been guys who might start or are ones for the future. I guess NYC is looking at the draft primarily for some of their non-marquee players.

Torn ACL explains the lack of games though.

xbhaskarx

Boca Juniors’ American #10(‘s)

Sonora’s successes have since earned him a call-up to the US U20 team under Coach Tab Ramos. The ’96 Sonora was invited to train with mostly ’95s in Florida last Winter, and according to reports impressed National Team scouts and coaches.

Sonora has taken this confidence back with him to Argentina securing the fabled #10 shirt with the Argentina powerhouse for the last two seasons.

Joel recently was named to a Boca Juniors roster for the Durban u19 International Tournament in South Africa that included Everton, Santos, Feyernoord, Benfica, Roma and the South Africian U19 team. Joel is listed as one of the youngest players on the Boca roster, playing with mostly ’95s.

OWTY has learned that Joel’s younger brother Alan Sonora (’98), would be open to a call into US youth squads. It is reported early in 2013, when Joel accepted the US call, that younger brother Alan was unsure of donning the red, white and blue.

Alan told OWTY over email that if the US U17 coach Richie Williams were to call him into a camp that he would accept. This could be quite the coup for Williams who already has a solid relationship with the Sonora’s.

Alan, like older brother Joel, wears the #10 for the Boca Juniors U17 squad. Alan is a tremendously creative player for his side and enjoys dictating the pace of the game.

xbhaskarx

Chivas USA President Nelson Rodriguez outlines three requirements for new club owner in interview

Chivas USA president Nelson Rodriguez also featured in the video, and while he acknowledged, "It's difficult to move forward with plans for 2015. What colors will the team be? What will its name be? What are the values of the club?" he did provide some more detail on the ownership requirements:

1. The club stays in Los Angeles
  2. The group that buys the club must make a commitment to build a new stadium in Los Angeles
  3. The managing director of the club must work and live in Los Angeles

While Rodriguez doesn't indicate where the requirements come from, one must assume his boss, Major League Soccer, which of course owns the team following their purchase of it from Jorge Vergara and Angelica Fuentes in February, laid down those mandates.

I stand by my prediction that everyone saying the team should be moved out of the LA market will look like an idiot in a few years...

Osorio

I can see them outdrawing the Galaxy depending on where the stadium is, and the new logo.

Carson is way too middle of nowhere for the prices the Galaxy are charging.

xbhaskarx

^ yup, exactly...

Wood looking for breakout year

Wood had nothing but good things to say about the experience and coach Jürgen Klinsmann, whom he said did well with the U.S. squad during the 2014 World Cup.

"The players were a lot nicer than I thought, and the team's really tight-knitted," Wood said. "I was not expecting it to be like that, and everyone got along. It was just a really nice experience, and it's something that kind of motivates me to just be able to experience that again - to get back there and show that I can play with them."

The U.S. staff seems to be keeping an eye on Wood, with the Californian saying that he had a short talk with Matthias Hamann, the U.S. scout in Germany, about possibly making the selection for the friendly against the Czech Republic in September as long as he logs some minutes at the club level.

Wood definitely has understood the message, saying his main goal is to see the field and be successful with 1860 Munich. He expects the rest will take care of itself.

"I know that if I do play, then sooner or later, I will hopefully get a chance to play with the national team again," Wood said. "But right now, my goal is to just play with the club, score goals, assists - do whatever I can to get playing time and develop as a player."

I stand by my prediction that everyone saying the team should be moved out of the LA market will look like an idiot in a few years...

I don't think there's a problem with them staying in LA, but I think it'd be better if they went to San Diego. Why not spread the MLS love?

xbhaskarx

I don't think there's a problem with them staying in LA, but I think it'd be better if they went to San Diego. Why not spread the MLS love?

Having a second team in LA doesn't prevent any other city from getting their own MLS team.

The problem in San Diego is no ownership group and no stadium, if they can sort out those issues it would be a good market to be in.

Just move Tijuana to MLS

I mean we're already a multi-national league, so why not?

I think FMF would have to consent to that and there's no way they would.

Revs trade Saer Sene to NY for Andre Akpan

The New England Revolution has acquired forward Andre Akpan (Twitter: @auakpan) and allocation money through a trade with the New York Red Bulls in exchange for forward Saer Sene and an international roster spot through the end of the 2014 season.

Akpan, 26, is in his fifth professional season after he was drafted by the Colorado Rapids out of Harvard University in 2010. Akpan has 41 career appearances, including 10 starts, while scoring four goals and adding two assists. After three seasons with the Rapids, he was traded to the Red Bulls on March 28, 2013. Akpan has made five appearances in New York this season.

“Andre is a player with experience in MLS who has roots in our area playing at Harvard,” Revolution general manager Michael Burns said. “We believe he can provide us with added competition at the forward position and give us more depth as we head into a playoff push.”

Sene, 27, is in his third season in MLS after signing with the Revolution on February 8, 2012. In 59 appearances with the club, Sene scored 17 goals and added eight assists. This season, he made 10 appearances for the Revs, scoring one goal. A product of Bayern Munich’s reserve system, Sene also spent time with SG Sonnenhof Großaspach (Germany) after beginning his career with FC E’tampes (France).

“We want to wish Saer all the best as he begins a new chapter of his career,” Burns said.

TRANSACTION: New England Revolution (MLS) – Acquired F Andre Akpan and allocation money from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for F Saer Sene and an international roster spot through the end of the 2014 season

Sene was getting no playing time anyway

xbhaskarx

“Andre is a player with experience in MLS who has roots in our area playing at Harvard,” Revolution general manager Michael Burns said.

We'll give you Mike Fucito for Fagundez

Osorio

Good...trade?

Akpan's highlight here was getting four goals in a game in the reserves last year so if Sene gets any time on the field at all it's a good trade.

Neither one would go wrong imo.

Though a Liga MX team in LA would present an interesting dynamic. I can't think of any city in the world that has a team in two different division 1 leagues in the same sport.

I mean it would never happen, but they would sell out every week, just by virtue of having opponents like America and Chivas every week.

Look at how their summer friendlies sell out.

Osorio

I mean it would never happen, but they would sell out every week, just by virtue of having opponents like America and Chivas every week.

Look at how their summer friendlies sell out.

It would definitely be a money grabber. MLS would never allow it for that reason, and Liga MX doesn't really need it.

I think a Central American Superleague is much more important. The CONCACAF Champions League sucks now, and it's only going to get worse as MLS starts snagging more players from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL

It would definitely be a money grabber. MLS would never allow it for that reason, and Liga MX doesn't really need it.

I think a Central American Superleague is much more important. The CONCACAF Champions League sucks now, and it's only going to get worse as MLS starts snagging more players from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL

Huh? MLS teams never even make the final...Theres been 1 MLS team in the last 6 editions. Last year there wasnt a single MLS team in the semis.

I dont think MLS being too good is a problem, nor will it be for quite some time.

xbhaskarx

Tab Ramos Talks U-23, Player Development & MLS

ASN: You and Jurgen and lots of people that have come before you have made it clear how important it is for more of the top players to turn pro earlier, but MLS seems to limit the players like that it lets turn pro. Would you like to see MLS open the draft to any underclassmen or high school kid who wishes to declare for it?

Ramos: We do like when the best players in this country turn pro early. Being in a professional environment is the best thing for their development at 18, 19, 20, 21. At the same time, I think we’re making a lot of progress in that direction. I mean, for the U-20 team, I’m taking a team to Argentina next month and the roster I’ve put together (that hasn’t been announced yet), I think there’s maybe two college players on it and one (current) high school player and the rest are pro players. I think that’s a good sign that so many players at that age are already pros.

As for the draft, absolutely, I’d like to see it open to anyone who wants to be drafted and is good enough. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be the case, really. It seems to me a team should be able to draft anyone they want to draft who wants to be drafted. That will put more pressure on the MLS clubs to do their homework, both with developmental academies and scouting players who aren’t in their academies, so they know who the best players are at all times and then that gets them in at an earlier age playing this game for a living, playing against people who are playing it for a living, who have families to support, who treat the game as a job. That’s how you get better. We need as many players doing that as possible.

Generation Adidas and before that Project 40, they've done OK. But a lot of times the Generation Adidias players (that MLS signs) don’t coincide with players who the national team staff thinks should be signed. Sometimes we get surprised at who is signed and don’t know how that process works and wonder why they signed that player.

ASN: What is your take on the Los Angeles Galaxy adding a second division team in USL-Pro and MLS teams reportedly following suit next year?

Ramos: It’s great. Of all the thing we’ve spoken about in terms of changes (for player development), this is THE most important and numbers one step that MLS has taken. I think having a second team play in second division type league is excellent. It gets younger players consistently getting games and getting exposed playing against pros but still being part of their own pro system under their coaches who have an interest in developing them. It’s probably the best step in player development we’ve taken in years and I really hope it continues. I’ve heard that going into next season almost half the (MLS) teams are moving in that direction and I really hope it happens. It benefits our youth national team and it will benefit our senior team. You call in a younger player—U-18, U-20, U-23—and he’s so much more experienced and he develops faster and he’s readier to play at a higher level at an earlier age. The Galaxy are doing a great job and I really hope all the other teams follow suit.

xbhaskarx

The San Diego mystery: America’s soccer-crazy city seeks top-flight team

Asked whether anyone has tried to bring a MLS team to San Diego, MLS executive vice-president Dan Courtemanche says: “Multiple times”.

“There’s no doubt that San Diego could be a tremendous market for Major League Soccer,” he says. “And we believe that the market could certainly support a team.”

But no potential ownership group has yet stepped forward. After all, the one hard and fast requisite for MLS – a place to play – is tricky for San Diego. While most entrants to MLS start by building a committed fan base with a local team in the lower tiers, San Diego’s lower-tier teams have no proper stadium to use. There’s no way they can pay the rent for the 70,000-seat NFL stadium that is home to the Chargers; the Astroturf high-school fields flanked by aluminium bleachers such clubs do play on don’t exactly radiate a contagious, promotable atmosphere.

Ominously, the Chargers’ new gridiron stadium has been stuck in bureaucratic gridlock for nearly a decade. But there remains one possibility for that 20,000–25,000-seat soccer-specific stadium needed for MLS, one that is the stuff of dreams for urban planners: the renovation of the 100-year-old Balboa Stadium, inside the 1,200-acre Balboa Park in the centre of the city. In its heydey, Balboa Stadium was home to the Chargers and hosted The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Babe Ruth and Pelé. But its decaying Spanish Revival architecture and double-column arcade were torn down in the ’70s, due to earthquake concerns. Now surrounded by a freeway and the brutalist architecture of a public high school and community college, it exists as another Astroturfed high-school field, fenced up and padlocked from most public use.

Osorio

Huh? MLS teams never even make the final...Theres been 1 MLS team in the last 6 editions. Last year there wasnt a single MLS team in the semis.

I dont think MLS being too good is a problem, nor will it be for quite some time.

But it's going to get better and you know that. The salary cap is going up, as such, better players are coming in from countries in economic dire straits who don't get paid for six months at a time. It is an inevitability. It's not about MLS being too good it's about Liga MX and MLS being too good in comparison to the Central American leagues (I count Central America as the six countries that composed the short-lived unified nation). It'd be best to combine those leagues into something like the Yugoslavian league when that country existed.

But it's going to get better and you know that. The salary cap is going up, as such, better players are coming in from countries in economic dire straits who don't get paid for six months at a time. It is an inevitability. It's not about MLS being too good it's about Liga MX and MLS being too good in comparison to the Central American leagues (I count Central America as the six countries that composed the short-lived unified nation). It'd be best to combine those leagues into something like the Yugoslavian league when that country existed.

People have been saying that about MLS for well over a decade now.

Yes, quality has improved - but it also has in those countries. You'll notice Costa Rica went further than Mexico and the US in the world cup, and almost all their players play there.

MLS has also been spinning tires in international tournaments for the past decade.

The rest of the world isnt standing still as MLS grows.

Nesotenso

Yes, quality has improved - but it also has in those countries. You'll notice Costa Rica went further than Mexico and the US in the world cup, and almost all their players play there.

MLS has also been spinning tires in international tournaments for the past decade.

we routinely beat the central american teams in CCL play.

Osorio

Come on man, Costa Rica had way more overseas players this World Cup than any other. Who stood out the most? Navas, Campbell, Bryan Ruiz, and Bolaños, all overseas players.

El Salvador is in the doldrums, Nicaragua, Belize, and Guatemala are almost nonexistant, and Honduras' squad is filled with overseas players too.

If any players on Saprissa, Isidro Metapan, Olimpia, etc. are scouted for being quality players why wouldn't they come get a bigger paycheck in Mexico, MLS, or Europe?

xbhaskarx

Report: New York Cosmos target Malaga striker Roque Santa Cruz

With the acquisition of Real Madrid legend Raul becoming a bit more complicated, the New York Cosmos may have their eyes set on another powerful striker.

Radio Marca Malaga – an on-air affiliate of Spanish national sports newspaper Marca — report the Cosmos have interest in Malaga striker Roque Santa Cruz.

The soon-to-be 33-year-old Santa Cruz signed with Malaga on July 2013 after a loan stint from mother club, Manchester City. His contract reportedly runs through 2016, meaning the Cosmos would have to pay a transfer fee if they hope to secure his services.

According to Radio Marca, the team is prepared to shell out just over two millions dollars to Malaga for the strikers services, while offering Santa Cruz nearly $2.7 million in annual wages to man their frontline.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

7 out of 23...

Askani

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/8/12/5996559/concacaf-champions-league-belmopan-belize-stadium

CONCACAF boots team from Champions League after tournament has started

CONCACAF thought the best time to inspect a stadium to make sure it met Champions League standards was after the tournament had started.

Belmopan Bandits won the Premier League of Belize last season to earn a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League. Only they won't get to play in it.

CONCACAF announced on Tuesday that Belmopan had been thrown out of the tournament because their stadium doesn't meet standards. This would be understandable if not for one thing: the Champions League has already started.

The tournament started last week with eight matches, and while Belmopan didn't play, the Champions League field is still being changed after it already began. Herediano of Costa Rica has been tabbed to replace Belmopan and will be in action next week, not only giving they and their opponents nearly no prep time, but it completely changes the composition of the group.

Only CONCACAF would manage to change the field after the tournament had started. It's not as if Belmopan's stadium is in worse shape today than it was last week, or the week before, or a month before. In fact, the stadium was much better after undergoing renovations this summer, but CONCACAF deemed the playing surface unsuitable after inspecting it on Sunday.

Yes, CONCACAF thought the best time to inspect a stadium and make sure it was up to snuff for a tournament was after that tournament had already started.

That any stadium could fall short of CONCACAF's standards is pretty remarkable. They have okayed pitches that had giant patches of dirt, were waterlogged, had six-inch high grass and turf that may as well be concrete. Seemingly the only standard CONCACAF has for fields is that there aren't shards of glass or land mines and dogs don't run around at midfield during matches.

And yet Belmopan's field fell short of that, which CONCACAF wasn't aware of until Sunday.

Only in CONCACAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom