• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of CL, our only chance at qualifying for it could/will end tonight!

US Open Cup Semifinal - Seattle v. Chicago

I'm excited, just cuz we don't get too many meaningful games these days.

yeaaaaaaaaa

Union did a lot of good things tonight to earn the W

The final isn't for a couple weeks and we will likely have Valdes in form, a healthy Maidana and LeToux and home field advantage

Hopefully Chicago pulls it off against Seattle tomorrow as they are a lot less scary of an opponent

- Steven Goff with updates on the upcoming USMNT calendar:
U.S. MEN

Sept. 3: Czech Republic friendly at Generali Arena in Prague, 2:15 p.m. ET (TV tba)

Oct. 6-14: Two home friendlies, to be announced

Nov. 18: Ireland friendly at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, 2:45 p.m. ET (TV tba)

The proposed friendly against World Cup star James Rodriguez and Colombia on Sept. 9 in San Antonio will not happen, the USSF says. The sides had a handshake agreement but Colombia did not meet Monday’s deadline to finalize the deal. So the visit to Prague will serve as the only game in September. Initially, Jurgen Klinsmann planned to call a mostly Euro-based squad for the Czech game and an MLS-themed crew for the Colombia match. With just one date, however, he seems likely to name a mixed team.

The USSF is close to finalizing two home games in October. No details are available yet. Ecuador has been rumored as one opponent. With an extended period together, Klinsmann is likely to summon players from Europe, MLS and Mexico.

The FIFA window in November allows for two friendlies, and while the Americans would love to play twice in Europe, they will have difficulty arranging a second game because of scheduling conflicts with teams involved in European Championship qualifiers. Hence, the Ireland game will probably be the only U.S. match that month. Klinsmann will primarily use Euro-based players and domestic candidates whose MLS teams have closed their season.

xbhaskarx

U.S. YNT Best XI Battle: England versus The Continent

England
england1.jpg

Vs.

The Continent
continent.jpg

England
GK – Cody Cropper, Southampton
D – Danny Barbir, West Brom
D – Will Packwood, Birmingham City
D – Kyle Gruno, Leicester City
M – Gedion Zelalem, Arsenal
M – Marc Pelosi, Liverpool
M – Emerson Hyndman, Fulham
M – Kyle Scott, Chelsea
M – Luca de la Torre, Fulham
F – Lynden Gooch, Sunderland
F – Andrija Novakovich, Reading

The Continent
GK – Evan Horvath, Molde
D – Sebastien Ibeagha, AC Horstens
D – Vincent Borden, Dinamo Zagreb
D/M – Caleb Stanko, Freiburg
M – Russell Canouse, Hoffenheim
M – Christian Pulisic, Borussia Dortmund
M – Rubio Rubin, FC Utrecht
M – Junior Flores, Borussia Dortmund
M – Mukwelle Akale, Villarreal
F – Boxi Yomba, Atletico Madrid
F – Maki Tall, Lille

xbhaskarx

U.S. U-18 MNT Roster Named For Czech Republic Tournament
Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (Irvine Strikers; Newport Beach, Calif.), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham; Westcliff on Sea, Essex), Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls; Brooklyn, N.Y.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake AZ; Tucson, Ariz.), Malcolm Jones (LA Galaxy; Chino Hills, Calif.), Pablo Pelaez (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Mukwelle Akale (Unattached; Minneapolis, Minn.), Collin Fernandez (Chicago Fire; Downers Grove, Ill.), Cameron Lindley (Chicago Fire; Carmel, Ind.), Jorge Ruiz (LA Galaxy; Mission Hills, Calif.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake AZ; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Ben Swanson (Crew Soccer Academy; Grove City, Ohio), Sean Wilson (Philadelphia Union; West Chester, Pa.), Jackson Yueill (Minnesota Thunder; Bloomington, Minn.)

FORWARDS (4): Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Sebastian Elney (Boca United; Boca Raton, Fla.), Victor Mansaray (Seattle Sounders FC; Des Moines, Wash.), Haji Wright (Unattached; Los Angeles, Calif.)

xbhaskarx

Wright Bros Take Flight?

Schalke’s U17 & U16 squads just became a little much more interesting for US fans.

Schalke 04, rumored to be close with both Haji & Hanif Wright, list Haji in the team photo as a “guest player.” Haji does not turn 18 until March 2016, but it is believed Schalke is primed to sign Wright before then.

Haji would mark the 6th member of the current US U17 core to make the move abroad, following Danny Barbir (West Bromwich Albion), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Joshua Perez (AS Fiorentia), Luca de la Torre (Fulham FC) and Joe Gallardo (CF Monterrey). Fellow US youth International ’98s Christian Albelo (FSV Frankfurt 1899 e.V.) and Darian Gurley (Karlsruher SC) are also in Germany.

Haji’s coming out party was undoubtedly the 2013 Winter Nike International Friendlies. Wright was a menace down the flanks, terrorizing the top talent from Portugal, England and Brazil. Wright scored 5 times during the three game tournament winning the Golden Boot. Wright was one of many players to drastically increase his stock following his impressive performance, with multiple clubs all around Europe beginning to take interest.

It was clear Haji was not long for US Residency. Just this last week Haji trained with the Los Angeles Galaxy first team. Rumors that a Home-Grown offer would be coming his way began to swirl in Galaxy circles.

Haji’s younger brother Hanif has been starred for the USSDA Los Angeles Galaxy U14 side during the 2013-2014 campaign. In 17 matches Hanif has netted 15 times. His strike rate caught the attention of National Team Head Coach Hugo Perez. Hanif was called up to the US U15 trip to the United Arab Emirates, scoring the US’ only goal in a 1-3 loss to Al Jazeera FC.

Haji-Wright.jpg

#usynt Star Haji Wright in Schalke Team Photo listed as “Guest Player”

Mully

Going to a Sounders game while in Seattle for PAX. Pretty excited.

Anything I should expect? I'm in the Sounders supporter section. I'm a Red Bulls fan. It's a Sounders Rapids game.

U.S. Soccer ‏@ussoccer 12m
#USMNT will play Ecuador on 10/10 in East Hartford, Conn. Kickoff at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN, WatchESPN and UniMas. Tickets on sale on 8/22.

Too bad it'll be a pain in the ass to get there from where I'll be

Mully

Not gonna lie, if I saw one of those at the stadium I'd be confused.

Did you get it as soon as he was signed?

Nah man. Got that shit on clearance. $20 end of season sale son.

Shoot, I'll have to get a ticket to that. If any of the other NYC guys want to go we can get tickets and carpool. More fun making a 2 hour car trip with others.

I might be down. Probably gonna be flat broke after PAX, but I might be able to do it.

Also good stuff on those Metrostars shirseys. I nearly bought a blue warmup kit from a seller on Ebay a month back. Ended up going for $200. Not my territory.

jergrah

Going to a Sounders game while in Seattle for PAX. Pretty excited.

Anything I should expect? I'm in the Sounders supporter section. I'm a Red Bulls fan. It's a Sounders Rapids game.

In regards to what to expect -- just a fun atmosphere and good time. There's a march to the match event from Pioneer Square that starts usually 2 hours before kickoff that's a cool experience as well.

Other than that, probably an Alonso yellow card

Nyx

Looking at the training today, US youngster Rubio Rubin may have his first start in the 1st team of Utrecht this Sunday.

edit : it's confirmed, he'll start as the center forward.

xbhaskarx

Looking at the training today, US youngster Rubio Rubin may have his first start in the 1st team of Utrecht this Sunday.

edit : it's confirmed, he'll start as the center forward.

Wow, last week Hyndman, this week Rubin, I wonder who will be next...

(I'm guessing Stanko or Lletget)

Nyx

Just FYI though, Utrecht has 5 unavailable attacking players due to injuries, otherwise Rubin probably wouldn't even be in in the first 18.

But many people here are still excited to see what he can do, the club did present him as 'one of the biggest talents from the USA' when he signed here. Hope that won't put too much pressure on him.

And it's always interesting to see how young players will cope with our crowd, Utrecht fans are known to be passionate but also very critical. I'll be rooting for him though!

Osorio

Just FYI though, Utrecht has 5 unavailable attacking players due to injuries, otherwise Rubin probably wouldn't even be in in the first 18.

But many people here are still excited to see what he can do, the club did present him as 'one of the biggest talents from the USA' when he signed here. Hope that won't put too much pressure on him.

And it's always interesting to see how young players will cope with our crowd, Utrecht fans are known to be passionate but also very critical. I'll be rooting for him though!

How did you guys feel about Agudelo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom